Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3131594 - 01/20/13 09:19 AM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
He said he would do 50/50 on the job but he wasn't really Intrested in doing what I wanted to do as far as how I wanted it cut..

Am I wrong for wanting to try and stick with what I want to do as far as clear cutting a few areas for wildlife improvement and timber stand??

Next one has a smaller operation so maybe he will be closer to what I want to do..

No, you are not wrong for wanting your forest cut exactly the way you want. You are on the right track by thinking smaller operation.

To get my woods cut exactly the way I wanted, I had to go with a small operation (father and son business), and drop down to a 40/60 profit arrangement. This small operation took much longer to get the job done (they've been cutting every summer for three years), but I've been extremely pleased with what has been done to date. And I certainly haven't missed much by the 40/60 profit split.

Unfortunately, the father-son team I had been using decided to call it quits (the father has congestive heart failure). Now I'm looking for a new operation.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3131909 - 01/20/13 03:16 PM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

No,you should do it the way you want,but it may be hard to find the right guy.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3132115 - 01/20/13 05:56 PM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: primos32]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

Try and avoid a select cut where the logger selects the trees to be cut. They will leave crooked, stunted undesirable trees to form the next forest. If you do select cut go in after the logger and deaden the undesirable trees.
#3132268 - 01/20/13 07:30 PM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: treefarmer]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

You are not wrong. If you were a cattle farmer and wanted to scale back from 100 brood cows to 50, which 50 would you sell? The best or worst performing?

Those cows....errr trees.. are yours! You keep the ones you want and sell the ones you don't want!

#3133054 - 01/21/13 12:58 PM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: treefarmer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
Try and avoid a select cut where the logger selects the trees to be cut. They will leave crooked, stunted undesirable trees to form the next forest. If you do select cut go in after the logger and deaden the undesirable trees.

This is EXACTLY what I do. If you try and force loggers to take trees they do not want, you will greatly limit your ability to attract a logger. The best advice is what treefarmer wrote above: let the logger take what they want, and you go in later and either kill or cut down what you don't want left standing. That requires lots of work, but it's worth it in the long run.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3146761 - 01/31/13 10:31 AM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

This is EXACTLY what I do. If you try and force loggers to take trees they do not want, you will greatly limit your ability to attract a logger. The best advice is what treefarmer wrote above: let the logger take what they want, and you go in later and either kill or cut down what you don't want left standing. That requires lots of work, but it's worth it in the long run.

Thats is a good point.. Well I believe I have found a logger, small operation (father and two sons) they are going to cut the areas I wanted cut and I am going to me them take a few trees from other areas.. They are ok with me marking some of my low grade oaks that can only be used for pulpwood due to defects. And best of all he is going to buy my cedar trees per tree.. It won't be much but will save the work of having to cut them down myself..

#3147165 - 01/31/13 05:05 PM Re: Tell Me If I'm Wrong? [Re: lpo1981]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
 Originally Posted By: BSK

Thats is a good point.. Well I believe I have found a logger, small operation (father and two sons) they are going to cut the areas I wanted cut and I am going to me them take a few trees from other areas.. They are ok with me marking some of my low grade oaks that can only be used for pulpwood due to defects. And best of all he is going to buy my cedar trees per tree.. It won't be much but will save the work of having to cut them down myself..
Thats great! Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (trevor2010, 1 invisible) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.