Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3134134 - 01/22/13 08:50 AM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Football Hunter]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

If there was a fee to pay to bait, how would that work on a lease or near the property line? It wouldnt solve the problem. A neighbor could still pay the fee and bait your property line and if you didnt pay for the fee then you would still be hunting illegally over bait if you are within 250 yards of it. Same if a lease member baits an area and then another member is hunting that location who didnt pay the fee.
#3134427 - 01/22/13 12:16 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Football Hunter]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
... Do you not know how to hunt?

Yeah, because everybody knows all you have to do is put out a bait site and you'll kill a monster....come on. I'm not a fan of baiting while hunting, however, like Vermin, most don't take issue with hunting over a mineral site or trophy rock. I don't take issue with it either although come to think of it I've never killed a deer over a mineral site/salt lick/trophy rock.
me either,they rarely use em during the fall,I place mineral licks for the benefit of the deer,not claiming I dont ever hunt near one,but rarely if ever seen much fall use

Not that I'm against putting out minerals or trophy rock, I do both, but in TN you couldn't hunt over a salt block at one time.
And you can put out bait, its how far away you have to be, dirrection,etc from it. You can leave standing corn, bush hog it during deer season and its ok, but you can't do it during duck season. There's so much corn in pictures on this site during deer season, makes you think all the pictures are from out of state.

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3134435 - 01/22/13 12:22 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: birddog]
Terence
4 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: birddog
[quote=birddog]Whats the chances it will be made legal some day? I personally think its way over due. Its an out dated law IMO [/quote Just wondering why? Do you not know how to hunt?

probably better than most. that has nothing to do with the issue. do people that us cross bow not know how to shoot a bow?

I hunt with a cross bow but I do know how to shoot a compound bow but my health wont allow me to shoot a compound bow to make a confident accurate shot. I started bow hutning with a PSE Nova but my back and arthritis just wasnt having it. I bought a cross bow and still have just as hard of time trying to kill a deer with it than a compound bow. Just because people choose cross bows dont mean they cant shoot a compound bow sometimes things keep people from using compound bows .

#3134521 - 01/22/13 01:36 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: muddyboots]
Woodson223
8 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Rediculous Idea. Either bait or dont bait.
X2

#3134526 - 01/22/13 01:38 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Poser]
Woodson223
8 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Poser
There already is a fee for baiting.... in the form of a fine \:\)
\:D

#3134901 - 01/22/13 05:58 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Woodson223]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

All the food plot seed companies emphasis their products ability to "Pull deer from your neighbors property" when advertising their product. Whether the bait used is seed(corn) or a growing plant(food plot), the issue is about influencing deer to concentrate towards a predetermined area to give the hunters an advantage. Yes, it is true that food plots grow for months (or year round for a perenial) where a pile of corn is consumed in short order unless constantly replenished BUT a pile of corn and a food plot both are bait as used by most hunters. I think it's just tradition that makes a pile of corn so taboo while a clover patch is considered fair hunting.

As for myself, I've never seen herds of deer reliably attracted to either during deer season. \:\) (Although I THINK I have witnessed an encouraging trend in my deer FINALLY eating brassicas after years of frustration of growing the darned things.)

And if anybody thinks I'm anti-food plot, I have planted as much as 14 acres of various plots some years. I have put out mineral blocks year round now for 10 years or so and use corn only sporadically during Winter to draw deer in to a trail camera for a census.

#3134911 - 01/22/13 06:02 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: stik]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
To stir this issue a bit more, it can easily be said that food plots are nothing more than baiting for rich people. Whether it's a simple pile of corn or 3 acres of Imperial Clover, both are an unnatural food source placed by hunters to attract deer to hunt over.

the food plot is there for the deer to feed on outside of hunting seasons and requires a LOT more WORK than simply dumping out a bag of corn.

No doubt a food plot takes a ton more work and money. I've spent $1,500 some years and stopped counting in fear that my wife could find out...... \:\) And of course it benefits the deer herd way more. I'm just trying to look at this objectively. For the purpose of evaluating a hunters advantage in encountering a deer, based on where he sits, I don't see a pile of corn being an advantage over say a plot of Imperial Clover.

#3134918 - 01/22/13 06:10 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: stik]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

To stir this issue a bit more, it can easily be said that food plots are nothing more than baiting for rich people. Whether it's a simple pile of corn or 3 acres of Imperial Clover, both are an unnatural food source placed by hunters to attract deer to hunt over.

the food plot is there for the deer to feed on outside of hunting seasons and requires a LOT more WORK than simply dumping out a bag of corn.

Some people dont have a tractor or afford to hire somebody to make a food plot. Either way corn, soybean, winter wheat, its placed to attract the wildlife in more of a natural state. I lease 1000 acres and all of it is wooded except a small field behind the owners house that they dont want hunted. Some people just dont want to know that maybe a kid over on the other property killed a buck coming to his feeder instead of the person who got a trail cam pic of a buck he put his name on the yr before after one sighting in his food plot. Thats excatly why people dont want baiting.

#3134932 - 01/22/13 06:20 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Poleaxe]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe

Some people dont have a tractor or afford to hire somebody to make a food plot. Either way corn, soybean, winter wheat, its placed to attract the wildlife in more of a natural state. I lease 1000 acres and all of it is wooded except a small field behind the owners house that they dont want hunted. Some people just dont want to know that maybe a kid over on the other property killed a buck coming to his feeder instead of the person who got a trail cam pic of a buck he put his name on the yr before after one sighting in his food plot. Thats excatly why people dont want baiting.

Would it make any difference if instead of corn, the neighbor kid planted a 1/4 acre of Imperial Clover to lure and killed the buck you had been watching? Nothing makes it easy to see somebody else kill a buck you have been hunting but then the neighbor may see you as the guy hunting his buck.

#3134933 - 01/22/13 06:21 PM Re: Not to hijack,fee for baiting? [Re: Poleaxe]
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

I would think the lobbying efforts from the food plot seed companies, the makers of feeders, the sellers of bait, etc. all will have major influence in getting the legislature to vote in baiting. It's all about the money, not TWRA.

At least that has been the case in most states that allow baiting. And if memory serves, it was how crossbow hunting made it into TN. Remember, lobbyists are dishing out a billion, yes, a BILLION a day in Washington, D.C. and you think your vote still counts?

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Rifle06, Mossygoose, FrontierGander) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.