Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3130656 - 01/19/13 11:10 AM Mountain Main Beams Down!!!
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

What a busy little man I was trying to tag a buck and do all the holiday stuff while I was scheduled to fly out to Texas for work, which was going to make me miss the last weekend of the season. And that weekend can be the best.

Well now I'm back so I have a little time to share this.

That morning started out cold, clear, and a nice dusting of snow on the ground that made for awesome glassing and scenery as I slipped down the mountain side toward my roosting point. Shortly after sitting on my little rock 4 does were easing their way back toward their bedding area with a little can opener right on their trail. I thought to myself there must not be a sizeable buck in here.

Shortly after they were out of sight I started to hear foot steps but couldn't tell where it was coming from. It litterally sounded like it was in my lap. It was three does on a trail below my rock about 8 yards away and I was only about 12 feet up which made them look extremely close. As I'm sitting there I'm thinking how can I get my camera out to record these gals when my mind immediatley shifted to how in the he!! am I going to get my gun to my shoulder without getting busted! This ol man was crunching through the snow right on their heals at spitting distance! I had to let them get just a little ways past me before I made my move. My scope was filled with nothing but hair because I had it set to full power, which I never do, but that morning I remember telling myself that any shot here would be far. Ha! I'd been better off with a bow. In a rushed moment I found his head and pulled the cross hairs down his neck toward where I hoped was an ideal spot on the shoulder. A jolt from my rifle led me to see his hind legs kick and I knew it was a good shot unitl he ran a few yards and stopped to look around. "OH NO!" I thought, so I chambered another round and fired a desperate shot through a clutter of tangled branches and vines. He ran over by a rock where I witnessed the famous backwards walk wobble and then lost sight of him. I just knew he was down.

After getting myself together, all the while still staring in the last spot I saw him, I seen him sneak off around that rock. Everyone knows that sickening feeling that erased my excitement. You don't get many chances with these mountain bucks or any big buck for that matter and you have to make it count when the oppurtunity arises, and I just cost myself a nice one because I left my scope turned up.

I decided after about 30 minutes that I needed to get down and see if I could find blood, bones, guts, or whatever might lead me to know what kind of shot I made or didn't make. There wasn't any blood where I shot so I eased over to where I expected to see blood by the rock where I had last seen him and a BIG FAT NOTHING... This was not good. I was almost certain I hit him but I'm really starting to doubt it at this point. I decided to take up the trail his heavy tracks were in and see where this situation might lead. A single leaf filled with watery blood confirmed a hit, but I suspected a flesh wound or something non fatal. I now knew this deer either kept on running for the hills or he was injured and bedded and if another shot presented itself, I was going to have to be quick and have a whole lot of luck on my side.

As I inched down the trail with a keen eye glassing the benches below with my binos, the sound of rocks clattering above alerted me to ready my rifle! This buck had climbed his way up the mountain to bed in some rocks below a bluff. I had one shot presented to me before he rounded a knoll out of my life and I honestly don't even know where my cross hairs were when I squeezed the trigger to watch him tumble about 30 plus feet down the mountain to his final resting place. I litterally thought he was going to break his main beams as he tumbeled down but somehow they managed to stay in one piece. Sheww!!! Relief at last and what an awesome end to the season!

BTW, luck was on my side cause the shot hit him behind the ear.

#3130673 - 01/19/13 11:28 AM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: ghosthunter]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Heck of a buck

#3130676 - 01/19/13 11:32 AM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: easy45]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Congrats on a great buck. Thanks for sharing your story.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3130677 - 01/19/13 11:34 AM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: ghosthunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
What about the other shot (possibly exit wound) I can see in the photo? Was it good, bad, marginal or what? It does not appear to be that "off" to me, but pictures can be deceiving.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3130717 - 01/19/13 12:20 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: Andy S.]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

That is a super cool buck. Congrats!

That story really was a great read. Are you by chance a writer?

#3130732 - 01/19/13 12:42 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: Andy S.]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
 Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
What about the other shot (possibly exit wound) I can see in the photo? Was it good, bad, marginal or what? It does not appear to be that "off" to me, but pictures can be deceiving.
I guess the angle caused the shot to nearly exit where it entered. It missed the vitals.

#3130736 - 01/19/13 12:45 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: Vermin93]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
That is a super cool buck. Congrats!

That story really was a great read. Are you by chance a writer?
I'm not a writer. My girlfriend laughed her rear off when she read my story. I about didn't even post it.

#3130743 - 01/19/13 12:59 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: ghosthunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

That's a stud of a buck and a great story. Congrats

#3130753 - 01/19/13 01:14 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: catman529]
mrw
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville, Tn

Good story and deer!
#3130808 - 01/19/13 02:21 PM Re: Mountain Main Beams Down!!! [Re: ]
stryker
12 Point

Loc: jonesborough, TN

Great buck congrats
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Sgoodman, hayman, Nooga Hunter, Kimberman) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.