Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3128578 - 01/17/13 04:13 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Winchester]
dsa5455
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn.

That was a funny story. Laughed again and again. Winchester

Edited by dsa5455 (01/17/13 04:14 PM)

#3128579 - 01/17/13 04:15 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
dsa5455
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn.

Many good stories.
#3128677 - 01/17/13 06:04 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

content Online
Was on a wma draw hunt in Florida one time. Had hunted a area in the morning with not much luck, so I decided to try my luck else where for the afternoon. Got my map out and located the biggest unenterupted block of woods I could find and decided I was going deep. This whole wma was a little over 48,000 acres, and the section I picked had to of been probably 3,000. Well I set out early and hiked toward the middle with my climber on my back. Found a spot close to the middle with real good sign, I was pumped, just knew it was going to be a good evening. Found a good pine and climbed up about 25', settled in about 1:45. About 3:30 two does come by my tree and get about 30 yds. to my left. They both throw they're head up and are looking back where they came from. Probably 15 to 20 seconds later I start hearing a motor in the distance. It keeps coming, getting closer and closer. The two does bolt and I'm trying to figure out whats going on. This place was pretty rough with no roads or trails for a good ways, no atv's allowed and no vehicles off the main dirt roads. Well it's coming right at me and I'm thinking this thing sounds like a harley. Sure enough, all the sudden it comes into view. Older chromed out, hard rappin' shotgun pipe harley. Guy driving was probably in his fifties, pony tail, leathers, the whole nine yards. Had a women with cut offs and old faded black tanktop on the back. Dude was on a mission, reving it up, clutching it, all the while dodging palmettos and pine trees. Ended up coming within 15 yds. from my tree. I was dumbfounded just watched them go out of site through the woods. No trails or nothing out there, I have no idea what they were doing. Needless to say I didn't see anything else that afternoon!
#3128691 - 01/17/13 06:19 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: darn2ten]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: darn2ten
Was on a wma draw hunt in Florida one time. Had hunted a area in the morning with not much luck, so I decided to try my luck else where for the afternoon. Got my map out and located the biggest unenterupted block of woods I could find and decided I was going deep. This whole wma was a little over 48,000 acres, and the section I picked had to of been probably 3,000. Well I set out early and hiked toward the middle with my climber on my back. Found a spot close to the middle with real good sign, I was pumped, just knew it was going to be a good evening. Found a good pine and climbed up about 25', settled in about 1:45. About 3:30 two does come by my tree and get about 30 yds. to my left. They both throw they're head up and are looking back where they came from. Probably 15 to 20 seconds later I start hearing a motor in the distance. It keeps coming, getting closer and closer. The two does bolt and I'm trying to figure out whats going on. This place was pretty rough with no roads or trails for a good ways, no atv's allowed and no vehicles off the main dirt roads. Well it's coming right at me and I'm thinking this thing sounds like a harley. Sure enough, all the sudden it comes into view. Older chromed out, hard rappin' shotgun pipe harley. Guy driving was probably in his fifties, pony tail, leathers, the whole nine yards. Had a women with cut offs and old faded black tanktop on the back. Dude was on a mission, reving it up, clutching it, all the while dodging palmettos and pine trees. Ended up coming within 15 yds. from my tree. I was dumbfounded just watched them go out of site through the woods. No trails or nothing out there, I have no idea what they were doing. Needless to say I didn't see anything else that afternoon!
that's crazy \:D

...since last deer season

#3128701 - 01/17/13 06:30 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: catman529]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I was hunting timber comapny land in hardeman county. I jumped a tiny ditch and since it was sprinkling abit I hunkered down under a cedar tree and tried to keep my Muzzle loader dry. Rain got worse and worse and I decided to quit for the day. The ditch was a raging river 6 feet wide. I was trapped and spent 4 more hours hunkered under that cedar.

I took my 2 boys and youngest daughter hunting in a federal refuge. I had a popup blind. Rain started and we quickly popped the blind open and everyone got inside. Rain was smakcing down on mushrooms and puffs of smoke were popping up. The kids were hysterical, laughing so loud the inside of the pop-up was deafening. We decided to walk back to the truck and when we got home my daughter immediately ran, dripping wet, into the pantry and got a box of baking soda and played mushroom for Mom.

#3128734 - 01/17/13 06:48 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

content Online
I just can't write it...everything from being hung upside down on a barn roof nail by my family jewels, having a guy try to shoot me with a shotgun while duck hunting... to my 7 year old son telling me there was a deer "right over there because I can see his feet"...I'm just going to enjoy the stories and thank God we are all here to read 'em

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3129153 - 01/18/13 06:10 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Coach]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Winchester...funniest thing I've heard all year! It's only January but I think that will stay in the top spot for a long time.
#3129341 - 01/18/13 09:07 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: tasaman]
MooreEagle
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

My dad shot my sister's boy friend while we were rabbit hunting. He was ok, but I think my dad got his point across.
#3129409 - 01/18/13 10:32 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: MooreEagle]
Hunt72
Button

Loc: TN

Winchester - holy cow. Laughed until I cried.
#3130169 - 01/18/13 08:48 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Hunt72]
pledbetter
6 Point

Loc: Shelbyville , TN

Wow , I would pay good money to witness a couple of these stories go down.

This past season I had hunted about a 15 acre woodlot almost exclusively , because of one particular buck that I knew was using it. My hunting buddy and I have had this 200 acre farm leased for 6 years , and we always had the understanding that if one of us were in a certain stand , that the other one would respect him and not enter the area.
Well , after not being able to hunt a bunch this year , because of work , I was finally able to figure out what I was gonna have to do to be able to get on these deer using the woodlot , and was not gonna be easy!!! So , on this particular morning we met up extra early and went to the farm. When I say early , I mean at 3:30 a.m. I was ready to start my 300 yard journey to my stand.
By 4:30 a.m. I was about 125 yards and I had to literally get down on my hands and knees and start crawling through one of the most dense thickets I have ever seen , and right in the middle of this thicket there is a creek that I had to cross. Let me just say that it was pretty cold that morning , but hey if it means a possible shot at a mature deer , i'll go to extreme measures , lol.
I finally made it to the stand about 20 minutes after daylight and I hadn't heard a single deer spook.
I had been in the stand about 45 minutes and was watching a group of does feeding about 30 yards from my stand when I heard what sounded like a deer running in a thicket about 100 yards in front of me. Then I heard the grunts coming from the thicket and started catching glimpses of a buck chasing another deer. I couldn't tell how big he was and definitely had no
getting a clear shot , just be patient I kept telling myself , maybe the doe will bring him out of the thick stuff. This goes on for about 10 minutes , then I get a text from my buddy saying "hey im gonna walk around , I aint seen a single deer". I tell him " man its only like 8 oclock and the deer are just now starting to move". He replied , "ok , im gonna go check the field where the shooting house is". (Which is on the back side of the farm , probably about 500 yards away from the stand I was hunting , so I think ok , if he goes back there it won't bother the deer i'm seeing.)
I text him back and say "ok just please don't come over here because i've got a buck chasing in this thicket".
He said "ok , good luck".
15 or 20 minutes later , BOOM BOOM , no more than 75 or 100 yards to my right , totally the opposite direction from where he said he was going and maybe 50 yards from the thicket where the buck is.
I text him and ask if that was him and he said "yep I decided to go to the truck and jumped a small doe ". I'm sitting there dumbfounded and pretty irritated because if he had been going to the truck he went the looooooong way around , which just so happens to take you right by the woodlot I was in.
He text again saying the doe ran toward me and that he was gonna check for blood. Before I could tell him to stay where he was , the buck in the thicket must've realized what was going on because he came full throttle out of the thicket , I figure he was about 2 counties before I ever had a chance to even think about trying to find him in the scope. Oh man , I was beyond mad. I have no idea exactly how many points he had , or what he might have scored , but I do know he was a definite shooter and he was biiig bodied.
I really didnt think I could've gotten any more upset , until I finally got down and found my buddy , who had already pretty much ran back to the spot where he started the morning out.
When I did finally get to where he was , I noticed he had a different gun than he usually hunted with. He had brought the 30/30 that he had bought the night before. He gave $100 for it and didn't even know if it even shot , much less if it was sighted in. I ask what in the h@#ll he was thinkin when he decided to use a gun that he had never even seen fired and he said he just wanted to test it out. That's when I totally lost it , I had been able to hold my tongue for the most part until he said that.
Needless , to say he is no longer a hunting buddy of mine !!! That was the last time I hunted this past season. I mean it was bad enough that he ruined any chance I might've had at that buck , but to use a gun that he had never even shot?!?!? I respect deer and enjoy hunting too much to share the woods with someone like that , but thats just me , lol.
So if anyone hears of a lease in bedford county or anywhere close , i'm definitely looking.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (Nhill, cdw338, JCDEERMAN, bowfisher87, bootsinsand, 53caddy, 15 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93105 Topics
1088116 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.