Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#312731 - 07/25/07 11:34 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: BSK]
big jim
4 Point

Loc: South of Norene, Wilson County

BSK,

Perhaps the bore butter was inhibiting the gas seal of the powerbelts. I think they are slightly smaller than .50 caliber for ease of loading in a variety of guns.

I has a smililar problem when using TC sabots in my kids MZ (which is of spanish manufacture). With bore butter they were all over the place. Dry, they were extremely consistant.

TC does not recommend the use of bore butter with plastic sabots. I know the Powerbelts are said to be full caliber, but they do have a plastic base.

#312891 - 07/25/07 12:48 PM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: RUGER]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: RUGER
If you are going to use triple seven pellets MAKE SURE you are using an inline WITH 209 primers.

It says so right on the box...... trust me, they put it on there for a reason.

Yep, another Ruger tip of the day. ;\)
So...what happens when you shoot them with another type primer? \:D

#313064 - 07/25/07 03:27 PM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: moondawg]
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: La Vergne,TN/Decaturville, TN

I don't advocate pellets. At all.

I love shooting American Pioneer loose powder, but the pellets suck. I've heard of problems with just about every type of pellet out there. Triple 7, American Pioneer, or Pyrodex...the reports of problems always go up with pellet users.

I'll just pre-measure some quick loads. I'm too paranoid to worry about a pellet igniting correctly.

#313903 - 07/26/07 07:14 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: Trapper John]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Chris,

Yes, he is using a wet patch and then a dry patch between every shot. He has been concerned about moisture and is now firing a 209 primer through it before loading. We will see what that does, but honestly, I would recommend switching to loose powder.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#313905 - 07/26/07 07:15 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: big jim]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: big jim
BSK,

Perhaps the bore butter was inhibiting the gas seal of the powerbelts. I think they are slightly smaller than .50 caliber for ease of loading in a variety of guns.

I has a smililar problem when using TC sabots in my kids MZ (which is of spanish manufacture). With bore butter they were all over the place. Dry, they were extremely consistant.

TC does not recommend the use of bore butter with plastic sabots. I know the Powerbelts are said to be full caliber, but they do have a plastic base.

Thanks big jim, that is interesting information. He has quit using the bore butter and has scrubbed the barrel intensely to get the bore butter out.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#313906 - 07/26/07 07:16 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: Trapper John]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Trapper John
I don't advocate pellets. At all.

I love shooting American Pioneer loose powder, but the pellets suck. I've heard of problems with just about every type of pellet out there. Triple 7, American Pioneer, or Pyrodex...the reports of problems always go up with pellet users.

I'll just pre-measure some quick loads. I'm too paranoid to worry about a pellet igniting correctly.

My feelings exactly Trapper.

#314014 - 07/26/07 08:17 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: BSK]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

I've always used either pyrodex and now use the 777 pellets without any troubles of any kind. The pyrodex pellets did have to be loaded a certain direction or they wouldn't burn correctly, but I didn't see anything on the 777 box that states that. I tried the loose powder, but I couldn't get the powerbelt bullet to seat the same each time. I have my rod marked so I know if the bullet is seated the same and my shots where all over the place. I think it was due to the design of the plastic base on the bullet because that's about the depth the bullets where verying. I shoot powerbelts and I also use bore butter, but my gun isn't sighted in with a clean barrel. My 1st shot with a clean barrel is always high and to the right a little. I fire the gun once and then I can shoot up to 7 or 8 times without running a patch down the barrel and it's a very tight group. I know most people clean the barrel after each shot, but I didn't like the idea of cleanning the barrel if I had to make a quik follow up shot while hunting.
#315243 - 07/26/07 09:47 PM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: iowavf]
bonekelektr
6 Point

Loc: Sullivan Gardens

I shoot 777 pellets with the Win. primers and a 250gr. shockwave bonded....I use the Thompson cleaning and seosoning products for 777...One thing I do at the range is clean between shots..A couple of the cleaning patches thru and a couple of dry or till they're clean..This is with the breech-plug removed..This takes awhile but I know the pressures are consistent it will shoot the same each shot...

#315463 - 07/27/07 06:32 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: bonekelektr]
BSK
Non-Typical

I use the Thompson cleaning and seosoning products for 777...

I didn't know they had a special seasoning product for 777. What is it?

#315547 - 07/27/07 07:45 AM Re: Question for Triple 7 Users [Re: BSK]
Double Drops
8 Point

Loc: Lafayette, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I use the Thompson cleaning and seosoning products for 777...

I didn't know they had a special seasoning product for 777. What is it?

I think this is what he's referring to:
https://secure.tcarms.com/store/index.ph...3/prevstart/36/
"Arise...Kill...Eat" Acts 10:13 - Orders from headquarters!

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (excalhunter, Southpaw, DaveB, Moonman, Jaye, H1234, 12 invisible) and 152 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88129 Topics
1032402 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.215 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.