Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3127053 - 01/16/13 04:35 PM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: agelesssone]
chimneyman
4 Point

Loc: blount co

Thanks for all the info we are fishing Bobby Garland jigs 5-6 feet deep using pear shaped plastic floats Now if all this water gets out of here i'll go try it again Thanks
#3128899 - 01/17/13 08:28 PM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: blountcountyboy]
DPH
6 Point

Loc: Dresden

Originally Posted By: blountcountyboy
Crappie feed UP so a lot of times when the crappie rises to take the flie they continue to rise and therefore the float will "fall over" or just raise up out of the water somewhat. On a slow downwards bite the float will only sink slightly. My suggestion is to keep a closer eye on your float while NOT catching fish therefore you know what is the "usual" position of your float and set the hook on anything that's out of the norm.

What he said. Sometimes the bites are hard to see and the only way you can tell they are biting is that if the float is drifting in the current or the wind it will just stop drifting. Float may not twitch, lay over, bob up, or go under just stop drifting.

#3129225 - 01/18/13 07:46 AM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: DPH]
RJT
4 Point

Loc: Wheel, TN

Try this trick, we often fish jigs as light as 1/80th oz during winter.After experimenting with several floats what seems to be the best for light biters is a small weighted round float. The float has a lead weight around the very bottom end , just above where the line is clamped in. The trick is the put the float on your line "upside down". Typically the weighted portion would be down closest to the jig but with this rig put the weighted portion up and clip the unweighted portion down. when you cast it, the float will come to rest weight down which leaves the portion of line connected to the jig sticking up. When a fish applies any pressure at all the float must rotate before it can go under. We use orange and white floats and the color change of the float that occurs when it rotates is easy to see. The light biters also make it rotate as the take weight off of the setup and it rotates up. The up bite is much more subtle but with a little practice you can learn to identify it. The key is to get the smallest float that you are able to see. The weighted feature of the float also allows for longer casts and less wind resistance. Longer rods help with casting distance also. I often fish this set up on 8-8 1/2 foot rods. Hope this makes sense.I forgot to add that maximum line weight for us in winter is 4 lb test and lots of days I will fish 2 lb test. Line weight makes a big difference.
#3129302 - 01/18/13 08:40 AM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: RJT]
hitek7
6 Point

Loc: Eva, AL

^^^^^^ Sounds like a great idea. Kinda upset I did not think of that.... but I do not cast jigs very much.
#3129442 - 01/18/13 11:05 AM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: RJT]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Originally Posted By: RJT
Try this trick, we often fish jigs as light as 1/80th oz during winter.After experimenting with several floats what seems to be the best for light biters is a small weighted round float. The float has a lead weight around the very bottom end , just above where the line is clamped in. The trick is the put the float on your line "upside down". Typically the weighted portion would be down closest to the jig but with this rig put the weighted portion up and clip the unweighted portion down. when you cast it, the float will come to rest weight down which leaves the portion of line connected to the jig sticking up. When a fish applies any pressure at all the float must rotate before it can go under. We use orange and white floats and the color change of the float that occurs when it rotates is easy to see. The light biters also make it rotate as the take weight off of the setup and it rotates up. The up bite is much more subtle but with a little practice you can learn to identify it. The key is to get the smallest float that you are able to see. The weighted feature of the float also allows for longer casts and less wind resistance. Longer rods help with casting distance also. I often fish this set up on 8-8 1/2 foot rods. Hope this makes sense.I forgot to add that maximum line weight for us in winter is 4 lb test and lots of days I will fish 2 lb test. Line weight makes a big difference.

Never thot about that. Great advice. Il try that one.

#3129686 - 01/18/13 02:03 PM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: Poleaxe]
chimneyman
4 Point

Loc: blount co

I like that idea with the weighted floats
#3129963 - 01/18/13 06:29 PM Re: Help from Crappie Fishermen [Re: agelesssone]
ashleeranderson
Button

Loc: TN

For winter crappie, I always go as light as you can including line, pole, and float. These fish are real subtle and while you might loose a few going really light, you probably will be able to notice a lot more action.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (mossyoakmantn, Paul Burns, a baggett, Lady's man, Hillbilly Hunter, Marion deer hunter, 1 invisible) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91312 Topics
1067416 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.