Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3128113 - 01/17/13 10:30 AM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: TRIGGER]
Sting
Spike

Loc: Crossville, TN

How often do you break the gun down when cleaning (removing barrel from stock, etc)?
#3128152 - 01/17/13 10:58 AM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: Sting]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

I do through cleaning after every deer season then one more right before season then sight it in right before my first hunt of the season. I do light cleaning between hunts.

#3128250 - 01/17/13 11:46 AM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Rainy days when I'm bored. No certain time period for me. Sometimes I re clean a gun without ever firing it just because I like tinkering with them. No such thing as too clean IMO. I for a long time didn't use a lot of oil because I heard it could catch and collect dirt particles and such and make your gun jamb or not cycle correctly. Then one day it hit me " hey dummy your not out in a war where you have your gun subjected to the weather or harsh conditions for a long period of time". So now I lay the oil to them. Can't hurt and you can always get the oil off if need be unlike rust. Just my .02
#3128267 - 01/17/13 11:54 AM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: TRIGGER]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

I clean a few guns about every other week or so. Ive become fond of Hoppes #9 as a cleaning solvent. Seems to get ALL the crud out with less work than other solvents.
Thats probably why its been around for a million years.

#3128277 - 01/17/13 12:01 PM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: BlackBelt]
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Loc: Nolensville, TN

Thanks everyone....I am really looking for what products I need to buy. So any advice there is appreciated

"Don't Be Where They Are, Be Where They're Gonna Be"

>------>

#3128297 - 01/17/13 12:10 PM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: Barrett]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I used to clean my guns a lot but when the herd grew larger I found that my enthusiasm wasn't there so much for cleaning. They would rust some at 1st but then once they found out that I wasn't going to spoil them anymore, they quit rusting....can't figure it but I don't complain! \:\)

Seriously, I would consider a one piece cleaning rod with bearings in the handle essential. Hoppes Copper Sovent is what I use to battle copper fouling in rifles. Any light oil will do for general internal oiling or surface rust protection. It doesn't get cold enough here in TN to need any of the special oils.

The gunsmith screwdrivers and brass punches another member mentioned are essential too if you are going to take anything apart. You will destroy screw heads if you don't have these. I KNEW better but yet I did it before getting a set from Brownells.

#3128304 - 01/17/13 12:15 PM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: Hunter 257W]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
Funny Gun Cleaning Story:
A friend I hunt with in South Dakota was on a high dollar coastal Louisiana (salt-ish water) Duck hunt. Several of them had really expensive guns, but he had already learned coastal LA is not the place for "thousands dollar" shotguns. After then hunt, he walked into the bathroom with his gun over his shoulder and cane out 10-15 min's later fully showered and with a wet gun. They thought he was crazy for getting his gun saturated. Every one else sprayed and wiped their guns down. The next morning several of them were sick when they saw all the rust on their precious firearms. That evening all of them showed with their guns

#3128355 - 01/17/13 12:55 PM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: BamaProud]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

You don't want to clean the bore of a gun excessively, especially if you are cleaning from the muzzle end (ALWAYS clean a bolt action from the breech end). You can turn a tack-driver into a scattergun by wearing the rifling at the muzzle from excessive and/or improper cleaning. The bore of most rifles get more wear from cleaning than shooting (except for the really "hot" calibers that will burn a barrel out in a couple of thousand rounds).
#3130298 - 01/18/13 10:35 PM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: BamaProud]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
Funny Gun Cleaning Story:
A friend I hunt with in South Dakota was on a high dollar coastal Louisiana (salt-ish water) Duck hunt. Several of them had really expensive guns, but he had already learned coastal LA is not the place for "thousands dollar" shotguns. After then hunt, he walked into the bathroom with his gun over his shoulder and cane out 10-15 min's later fully showered and with a wet gun. They thought he was crazy for getting his gun saturated. Every one else sprayed and wiped their guns down. The next morning several of them were sick when they saw all the rust on their precious firearms. That evening all of them showed with their guns

Cool story...I use scalding hot water to clean guns all the time.

#3130412 - 01/19/13 06:40 AM Re: Gun Cleaning [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
Gun scrubber

Foaming bore cleaner

A good gun oil

A basic cleaning kit with the proper size attachments for the caliber/gauge you will be using it on.

Toothbrush

An old rag

That is about all you need

I like the breech to muzzle kits but any kit will do but I always clean them after the season and oil them down . I some times clean them during the season especially if it rains or has really dense fog .

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (JAY B, BamaProud, Old Timer, ROB, paincave_2000, Bow Hunter, 5 invisible) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069326 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.044 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.