Tndeer Logo

Page 10 of 11 « First<7891011>
Topic Options
#3126746 - 01/16/13 01:40 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
I will have to say, the fenced south Texas ranch I hunted had nothing like that on it. They had a bunch of 130-150" bucks and a handful of 170" or so. All those 170" were 5.5+ and we never saw them, just helicopter pics of them. In fact, we looked over a bunch of mature bucks that we never saw in stand.

The guy I went with said on some late season hunts there he had been on they actually did deer drives with the guides to drive them out of the brush.

I hunted 3 days before I saw a mature 5.5+ that met the management criteria on that ranch, which was any mature 8 or 9pt regardless of score. Probably only saw 3 or 4 mature bucks all weekend. Lots of 3 and 4 year olds. Lots of them.

You hunted an entirely different type of operation. One where it sounds like they manage what they have rather than purchasing animals of a certain size for shooters who want to kill a certain size animal. From the sounds of things, the hunt the OP went on was on a ranch where they had purchased deer from breeders, transported them to their property, then turned them loose inside the fence. You hunt sounds more like a ranch that fenced in the deer they had, and then managed harvest to get what they wanted. The OP's hunt sounds like a canned operation where you can order in advance a deer of a particular size, and it will be waiting when you get there. In these canned operations, they will buy deer from breeders, tranquilize them, then transport them to the ranch where the "hunt" will take place.

#3127047 - 01/16/13 04:34 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

You are correct mostly. It was 2400 acres that was actually fenced on 3 sides by the neighbors so they decided to go ahead and fence the front along the hwy.

They did have a small breeding program if you want to call it that but it was deer from the ranch. They would capture every 3 years the best 2/3 year old (normally a 140"-150" 6x6 or more) and put it in a big pen with does. They wanted bucks at least 5x5 on the ranch, hence the cheap management hunt for anything under regardless of score. Buddy shot his, a 152" stud 9pt.

After 3 years they would turn the buck loose (actually just opened the gate) back into the ranch.

Owners were honest and said after 10 years they really didn't see a difference. Their numbers of anything over 5x5 typical bucks hadn't really changed. Neither had their numbers of mature bucks that were less than 5x5.

They did feed protein but no hunting was done over those. They actually turned those feeders off during the season so the deer would visit the corn feeders. I honestly think without those, you wouldn't see a deer. That stuff is as bad or worse than pines and the entire 2400 acres was that way.

I think the biggest scoring buck they had killed was in the 180's.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3127057 - 01/16/13 04:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

The sheer number of 3-4 year old bucks in the 130's was mind boggling though. Mostly 8,9,10pts. Some had kickers and such but nothing to really add to score. Those were off limits. Only 5.5+ confirmed by your guide was allowed. If it aged younger, it was his fault.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3127139 - 01/16/13 05:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Congrats!

#3127262 - 01/16/13 06:48 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: timberjack86]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

That's a beast no matter what the circumstances so congrats. High fence wouldn't be my cup of tea either but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do when it comes to business.

#3127317 - 01/16/13 07:17 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

That's ridiculously expensive to just shoot a captive deer.
#3127872 - 01/17/13 06:46 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Relentless]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

shoot straight and enjoy the meat. Texas has the strictest regs on high fence deer in the country. Meat will be the best farm raise venison in the country.

#3127889 - 01/17/13 07:09 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: nodog]
BigPete357
6 Point

Loc: Columbia,TN

wow huge bucks. enjoy the meat!
#3128011 - 01/17/13 09:06 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BigPete357]
Hunt72
Button

Loc: TN

A couple of folks thought this was the norm in Texas. I grew up hunting in Texas and killed maybe 20 or so deer there. We hunted in the Hill Country (central TX), and while deer were certainly plentiful, they were not big. (It wasn't a fenced hunt, but it was a 2000 acre ranch that some distant relative owned, so FREE)

This season here in TN I killed a doe that was bigger than any deer I ever shot in Texas, and a 7 point that was as big as any we killed there.

So, while it's true that everything is BIGGER in TX, and certainly the BBQ brisket is better, the deer there in "normal" hunting locations anywhere outside of South Texas or fenced hunts weren't any better than they are here.

Would hate for some of you to spend money to go down there and be surprised!

#3131830 - 01/20/13 01:47 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
You should research xylazine, ketamine, and Telazol very carefully. All three of these drugs are used on captive deer.

Xylazine is very common in the captive cervid industry, but is not approved for use in food producing animals.

Ketamine has a very short half life and is approved in food producing species.

Telazol is still present in the meat of animals 14 days after the initial injection. In essence, if you eat that meat, you are getting a dose of Telazol. The Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank of the United sates suggests that meat producing livestock not be ingested by humans for 365 days after the animal has been injected with Telazol.

This is something the captive cervid industry wants to keep hidden. However, when I took my certification class on chemical immobilization of wildlife, the majority of people in the class were deer farmers. They use all three of theses drugs, and some other more dangerous ones on their captive deer on a routine basis. How do you think they got that ear tag in that deer?

Enjoy those backstraps!

Well, DH, now it's decision time. For the first time in 4 years I paid someone to process a deer. I'm working on multiple home projects and didn't want to take the time to process 4 deer. It cost me a lot because I had about 1/3 of the meat done into breakfast sausage, kielbasa and summer sausage. So the question is, do I eat it or feed it to the Texas hog population? I'm a big believer in being as well informed as possible, but I have to say that I wish you had never written that post. Ignorance would be bliss... ;\)

Page 10 of 11 « First<7891011>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter, TannersDad, Bowkiller13
13380 Registered Users
Who's Online
42 registered (Bow Hunter, reloadxx, Tn Joe, caretaker, plinker22, htnseymour, 5 invisible) and 88 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13380 Members
42 Forums
95604 Topics
1118863 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.