Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3126740 - 01/16/13 01:38 PM US Government: Constitutional Federal Republic
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Many people mistakenly believe that we have a democratic governement. This misconception has become more and more prevalent in our society.

A pure democracy is a government by the people in which majority rule controls. The citizens have no inalienable rights. Citizens vote on every issue that affects them and every law that has 51% of the vote is passed. Pure democracy leads to tyranny and oppression of the minority.

A republic is a government controlled and limited by certain established laws. The laws are not created by and cannot be changed by majority rule. In our country, the structure and powers of our government are set forth in the US Constitution. Even if 51% of the citizens disagreed with these laws, our government must still abide by them.

Despite being a republic, we do have a democratic system for electing officials. Officials are elected by majority vote.

Our Founders knew that a pure democracy led to tyranny. As such, our government is structed in such a way that virtually limits the possibility that our country will be controlled by the majority.

First, they created certain inalienable rights set forth in the Bill of Rights (first 10 Amendments). These natural rights prevent minority oppression since they cannot be infringed upon even if 99% of the citizens disagree with them.

Second, they divided our government into three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. By doing so, they prevented any one person or group of persons from reaching absolute power. The authority and powers of each branch are set forth in Articles 1-3 of the Constitution.

Our Judicial branch consists of the United States Supreme Court and the lower federal courts. It is the federal courts, not Congress, who have the authority to interpret the Constitution and decide what the law is.

We also have a federalist government. Federalism simply means that a national gov't (federal) co-exists with state governments. States are free to regulate their citizens as long as their actions are not expressly prohibited in the US Constitution.

Thus, we have a Constitutional Federal Republic with a democratic system for electing officials.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3126775 - 01/16/13 01:51 PM Re: US Government: Constitutional Federal Republic [Re: String Music]
Mausermeister
4 Point

Loc: Forked Deer River Bottom

Don't go confusing the sheeple with facts.

#3126797 - 01/16/13 01:59 PM Re: US Government: Constitutional Federal Republic [Re: String Music]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

Good post, however, the only issue I have with is this part:

Originally Posted By: String Music

First, they created certain inalienable rights set forth in the Bill of Rights (first 10 Amendments). These natural rights prevent minority oppression since they cannot be infringed upon even if 99% of the citizens disagree with them.

The Founders did not create these rights - they were given by our Creator. The concept of Man's rights being unalienable is based solely upon the belief in their Divine origin. Lacking this belief, there is no moral basis for any claim that they are unalienable or for any claim to the great benefits flowing from this concept.

God-given rights are sometimes called Natural Rights--those possessed by Man under the Laws of Nature, meaning under the laws of God's creation and therefore by gift of God. Man has no power to alienate--to dispose of, by surrender, barter or gift--his God-given rights.
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3128213 - 01/17/13 11:25 AM Re: US Government: Constitutional Federal Republic [Re: TennesseeRains]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: TennesseeRains
Good post, however, the only issue I have with is this part:

Originally Posted By: String Music

The Founders did not create these rights - they were given by our Creator. The concept of Man's rights being unalienable is based solely upon the belief in their Divine origin. Lacking this belief, there is no moral basis for any claim that they are unalienable or for any claim to the great benefits flowing from this concept.

God-given rights are sometimes called Natural Rights--those possessed by Man under the Laws of Nature, meaning under the laws of God's creation and therefore by gift of God. Man has no power to alienate--to dispose of, by surrender, barter or gift--his God-given rights.

Thank you. Also, the Bill of Rights wasn't included in the original Constitution. They were ratified some years later.

Additionally, the Bill of Rights were created to restrict only the federal gov't. The Supreme Court expressly held that these rights did not apply to the states.

However, the 14th Amendment's Due Process Clause subsequently incorporated the majority of these rights and applied them to the states as well as the federal gov't.

Without the 14th Amendment, states could restrict our right to bear arms, etc.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AdamMcK, purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer
13113 Registered Users
Who's Online
93 registered (Tennessee Lead, GFY, Tims, 57bear, Coker, Deck78, 17 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13113 Members
42 Forums
89402 Topics
1045656 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.