Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3125509 - 01/15/13 06:53 PM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: AT Hiker]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

I don't like deductions because when I was 7 (now 15) I killed a 145" 8 point but it was almost perfectly symmetrical and this year I killed a non-typical 12 point that scored 165" before reductions but after reductions it scored 140" and it looks twice as big as the 8 point.
#3125520 - 01/15/13 07:01 PM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Zac]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Zac
I don't like deductions because when I was 7 (now 15) I killed a 145" 8 point but it was almost perfectly symmetrical and this year I killed a non-typical 12 point that scored 165" before reductions but after reductions it scored 140" and it looks twice as big as the 8 point.

Well buddy...all I can say is you have had some excellent luck. I would care less what my deer scored at the age of 15 (let alone 7yrs old). Wish you many more years of excellent hunting!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3125621 - 01/15/13 07:45 PM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: AT Hiker]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

The B&C system rewards symmetry for typical racks as a way of limiting what they consider an exceptional buck, otherwise the minimum score would be much higher. The system is not perfect which is the reason why SCI and Buckmasters have their own systems. Humans have always appreciated things that are symmetrical. A symmetrical rack looks better than a unbalanced rack of the same size. Using a new and improved way to measure now would dq all the record books and IMO would not be better just different. Gross score plus abnormal points and net score are both important for different reasons.

#3126187 - 01/16/13 08:10 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
 Originally Posted By: BSK
But all that tells you is the volume of bone material.
...but 12" tines with exceptional mass is so much more impressive in my eyes, yet the B&C system does not distinguish the three, nor reward the latter.

That is absolutely true.

Quote:
Basically, gross score does not always accurately represent the overall rack to me.

Without question, the B&C gross scoring system has it's failings, but so far, i haven't been able to find a better system. The volumetric measuring system sounds good, until you try it. I've seen volumetric measurements for several different antler sets, and I think you would be disappointed. It does give amazing credit for mass, but that's about all it rewards. I've seen short, stubby antlers, that are not at all visually impressive, but with lots of mass, outscore some seriously visully impressive antlers that don't have much mass. In essence, from what I've seen, the volumetric measurement is only about mass and doesn't reward long tines or long beams, or wide spread, the things that, to me, make a rack impressive.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3126201 - 01/16/13 08:22 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Andy S.]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

[quote=Andy S 12" tines with exceptional mass is so much more impressive [/quote]

I agree Andy!

#3126202 - 01/16/13 08:23 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Bayou Buck]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I just like killin big deer
#3126257 - 01/16/13 09:05 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: woodsman87]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

I agree with woodsman haha
#3126280 - 01/16/13 09:25 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Zac]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I agree BSK, but then, we have discussed this before.

I had been hunting for almost 30 years before I let fiesty red heads husband Ben Layton score a couple of my deer. I was motivated to do so by a buck I had killed the previous Fall. Ben suggested I bring along my next biggest buck for scoring as well.

"Shock and awe" were all I could say on the ride back home. In essence I learned that symmetry, or lack thereof, could have very negative affects on final Net score. In fact, any and all "character" points, while visually impressive, were nothing short of deductions in the final tally.

I realized that while very improbable, it was possible for a perfectly symmetrical 8 or 10 point to outscore a visually impressive 16 pointer as long as the fewer pointed buck had long tines, even though there may be little mass. And the 16 pointer were scored (both as typical) with more points on one side.

I realized after that trip to Crossville that tine length is HUGELY important in score while mass may or may not be.

I also concluded, along with many others who were already amoung the "enlightened", that "nets are for fish".

In the end, I now have a very good understanding of how the whole Pope and Young (B & C) system works and can easily visualize what a hunter is referring to when they say they saw a 120 or 170 inch buck (assuming I trust THEIR judgement on scoring racks)

The B&C system is a good standard for me to understand the calibre of antler being talked about, as long as the people doing the talking understand GROSS score.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3126334 - 01/16/13 10:16 AM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: 102]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

If you score many racks you'll know that spread, although impressive, doesn't count much towards scoring. The only thing you might pick up on a 23" wide rack over a typical spread of 17" would be 6". Where you really pick up the points is on length of points and mass of the main beam between the base of the antler and the first 4 measurement points. Any additional tines add to that score. B & C deducts points from symmetry and Buckmasters doesn't count the spread. No system counts it all...

so-o-o-o...

Let's start a Tndeer scoring system (for those interested). Incorporate both present scoring systems counting everything (including any extra main beam measurements beyond the typical 8 point buck measurements) and then add tine mass measurements (measured at a halfway point from where the tine intersects the antler and the end of the tine). Record the score seperately. An example might be my 8 pointer scored 132 + 22 (132" for scoring + 22" of tine mass). This way you get a visualization of not only the rack size but the mass of the tines.

Edited by Mike Belt (01/16/13 10:19 AM)

#3127020 - 01/16/13 04:23 PM Re: What's The Purpose of Scoring a Deer? [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Hey, that works for me Mike.

I don't know if the Buckmaster system still encorporates it or not, but at one time, instead of just "typical" or "non-typical," they had several different categories for how symmetrical a rack is. And these categories were based on a "hard" number. If I remember correctly, antler fell into different categories of symmetry based on what percent of the total score came from non-typical tines. I think that is GREAT idea.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Paul Burns, Daniel n, Setterman, ridgewalker, Beekeeper, bbuck14, 1 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85432 Topics
1032290 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.275 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.