Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3125389 - 01/15/13 06:07 PM Something I did not know.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

I was watching ABC Nightly News tonight and they did a report on New Yorks new anti-gun law. I learned something I did not know before.

One of the things in the New York law is the mental health issue. Now the are doctors are required to report any mental health issues to the New York background check list.That is suppose to help keep the guns away from the people with certain mental problems. Ok I understand that so far.

BUT.

The way I understand it, it also makes it illegal for any other person living with that person to own and have a firearm in that same house. That incules mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters. So if say a family that has been hunting together for years, some time has one family member suddenly start to have mental problems that are treated and reported (it does happen that way sometimes) the info goes into the background check system. Then that family has to give up ALL their firearms or move that family member to another location to be out of that house.

I hope I'm wrong but that could happen under New York law today.

Heck, do you all realize that could happen to any one of us here on TnDeer at any time. prefectry normal people DO get mental problems right out of the blue that they never had before. it's not that common but it does happen. Think about all the hunting we would have to give up.

I hope Obama doesn't come out with something this bad tomorrow but we will have to see the "wording" in his orders.

#3125397 - 01/15/13 06:09 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Wildcat]
Bowdacious
16 Point

Loc: over here

I guarantee they will be reporting (misdiagnosing) tons of people as having depression.

Beware the skillet

#3125415 - 01/15/13 06:19 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Bowdacious]
jmoreland
8 Point

Loc: Maynardville

content Online
wow thats something else.
#3125418 - 01/15/13 06:21 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Bowdacious]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

All this anti-gun and obama bs depresses me, guess im on the list. Maybe thats the plan
#3125422 - 01/15/13 06:21 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: jmoreland]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Couldn't have happened to a better group of people.

#3125423 - 01/15/13 06:22 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: jmoreland]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

that blows

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3125432 - 01/15/13 06:24 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Deer Assassin]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Saw that and I agree with the mental health check

#3125457 - 01/15/13 06:33 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Bowdacious]
Camp David
12 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Bowdacious
I guarantee they will be reporting (misdiagnosing) tons of people as having depression.

Depression will be one of the major issues. Hard to believe they will be forcing doctors to disclose this information, but that looks to be how this is going down.

One of our friends went for a check up and was perscribed Cymbalta (sp?). He said the doctor told him he was depressed, even though he didn't think he was. I've never seen any signs whatsoever of depression with him in 20 years, yet this doc decided he was depressed in a single office visit.

#3125521 - 01/15/13 07:02 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Camp David]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

While I agree that some people with certin mental health issues should not have a gun I think it is a very difficult issue. Who is to determine what issues make it? And the issue of not allowing a person to not have a gun because they have a child with a illness is wrong the person should get some help with how to take safety measures to prevent the children from getting access to the guns.
#3125525 - 01/15/13 07:04 PM Re: Something I did not know. [Re: Camp David]
backroads
4 Point

Loc: Giles Co

When I lived in Germany I earned my hunting license which allowed me to own guns there. I say earned because it I took a ten week course with the military post (the German course takes a year) to pass three separate test to get the right to hunt/own guns. Once you pass you can purchase a weapon and store it in your house. To store it NO ONE in your family can have access to the key/combination to the MANDATORY safe you must own. The police have the right to come into your home and inspect the safe and insure no one has access to the key. If they do you are criminally responsible. When you die your spouse must get rid of the firearms since he/she is not allowed to own them.

One example is a boy that took one of his fathers guns to school and shot/killed students. It was the boy and his father on trial for the killings. The father was considered responsible since his son gained access to the keys to the safe. It appeared the father stored them in his sock draw.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (Wrangler95, The ScubaCamper, Farm manager, guthooked, Sting, stik, 16 invisible) and 151 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85077 Topics
1028018 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.235 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.