Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3125289 - 01/15/13 05:10 PM Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts
dsa5455
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn.

content Online
I was wondering now that the season is over and you look back at some crazy circumstance that just flat ruined your day in the woods. What would be your best story?
My story begins during archery season in October 2012. I park my truck and make my way down the field to my stand site which is about 300 yards or so. I was hunting about 40 yards into the woods on the outside corner of the field where it narrows. I got my climber on the tree and reached the 22-25' height and settled in. In the distance I could hear a helicopter flying above the woods that I was hunting and it seemed as quickly as I heard him he is there hovering above my stand. Unable to figure out what is happening I do nothing (not so smart). A few minutes later I see spotlights in the field that I had passed through earlier to get to my stand. Now I'm concerned but the helicopter is making so much noise I can't understand what anyone is saying over the bullhorn. Finally,I make my way down the tree leaving all my stuff behind and walk out to meet the sheriff. He is waiting for me in the field and calls my name as I approach and after acknowledging it was me he tells me to get into his vehicle. Seems that one of the neighbors had threatened his wife and had gone into the woods armed. The heat sensors in the helicopter had picked up my image and I suppose picked up an image of my bow in hand as well. The sheriff showing up saw my truck along with my 4 wheeler and ran my tags.They were going to send officers in at daylight but definitely wanted me out of the woods. Had to leave everything there until that evening. As for the armed neighbor in the woods it was more of a he said versus she said but I don't think he was in there.

#3125347 - 01/15/13 05:44 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Dang that's crazy. Can't think of anything strange that ruined a hunt for me last year.

...since last deer season

#3125434 - 01/15/13 06:25 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: catman529]
Matthew Spangler
Button

Loc: Fort Campbell, KY

That's crazy. Mine can't compare but here goes.

Similar set up, on Fort Campbell about 40 yards into the woods off the Corner of a field. I'm sitting in my climber above a funnel where deer are moving into and around the outskirts of the field. I'm expecting deer to be moving from me left to front and right to front and I have the field over my left shoulder. Well about 0800 I start hearing whistling and here comes another hunter just walking through the woods on my deer trail from left to my center. He walks right under my tree and into the woods over my right shoulder. So I know that trail is burnt for a coue hours and I can hear him bustling around in the woods behind me on the edge of the field. He never even saw me. I figure I still have the trail from the right to my front that comes from deeper woods so I might as we sit tight and see what happens. Well. 30 minutes later here come a father and son down my trail from the right to my front. Their chattin away and making plenty of noise as they walk right under my tree and never notice me. Well the first guy has swung back around and all three of em meet up about 30 yards from my tree and have nice conversation before walking out into the field over my left shoulder. So now my whole area is burnt. I climb down and head home. Thing was they were not parked anywhere near me. Just hunting by walking through the whole area I guess. I was pretty angry but also pretty amazed I could sit 20 feet above these guys in blaze orange and no one even notice me.

Not as good a story but its the one odd day in a tree for me this year

#3125449 - 01/15/13 06:31 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Matthew Spangler]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Had 2 guys come up the river where I was hunting in Ky,this year,didnt give it much thought,people fish there all the time,deer are used to it.Had a nice buck coming,just needed him to take a few more steps to clear some brush,and.........

He looked upp and took off,I look where he was looking,one guy in full camo,I mean head to toe,and another in full khacki color????? I waived my hat they left,and I just set there cussing under my breath.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3125627 - 01/15/13 07:46 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Football Hunter]
gatodoc
6 Point

Loc: harriman. TN

Crossed the corner of adjoining property to get to my permitted property. No posted signs and had crossed the short corner in thick pines several times previously. My hunting buddy had told me earlier in the year he'd talk to the property owner who knows we hunt the adjoining property and make him aware of our presence in the woods.

Guy approaches me in the pines (found out later it was non resident son in law of absent property owner) and tells me the land is posted and I got to leave the woods (no posted signs anywhere). I apologized for stepping onto the property and informed him I'd be off it in 30 more feet, but I was going on and hunt the property up ahead that I had written permission to hunt. He went back the way he'd come, I walked 30 feet forward in the pines onto the proper property, turned 90 degrees right in the pines, walked 50 yards over into my preset stand in some hard woods and settle in the stand.

22 cal. shots start ringing out from the direction the guy had headed and I could hear them hitting in the pines on the property I was legally hunting. A couple ricochet into the hard woods near me so I climbed down and sat with my back to the direction of fire behind the tree.

I couldn't get a cell signal to call LEOs. After and hour or so and about 40 shots, it got quiet. I slipped through the woods on the other side of the property and left fuming....

#3125652 - 01/15/13 08:00 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Matthew Spangler]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: Matthew Spangler
That's crazy. Mine can't compare but here goes.

Similar set up, on Fort Campbell about 40 yards into the woods off the Corner of a field. I'm sitting in my climber above a funnel where deer are moving into and around the outskirts of the field. I'm expecting deer to be moving from me left to front and right to front and I have the field over my left shoulder. Well about 0800 I start hearing whistling and here comes another hunter just walking through the woods on my deer trail from left to my center. He walks right under my tree and into the woods over my right shoulder. So I know that trail is burnt for a coue hours and I can hear him bustling around in the woods behind me on the edge of the field. He never even saw me. I figure I still have the trail from the right to my front that comes from deeper woods so I might as we sit tight and see what happens. Well. 30 minutes later here come a father and son down my trail from the right to my front. Their chattin away and making plenty of noise as they walk right under my tree and never notice me. Well the first guy has swung back around and all three of em meet up about 30 yards from my tree and have nice conversation before walking out into the field over my left shoulder. So now my whole area is burnt. I climb down and head home. Thing was they were not parked anywhere near me. Just hunting by walking through the whole area I guess. I was pretty angry but also pretty amazed I could sit 20 feet above these guys in blaze orange and no one even notice me.

Not as good a story but its the one odd day in a tree for me this year
See idiots like you described every year, nothing pisses me off more!

Genesis 27:3

#3125880 - 01/15/13 09:56 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: PinchPoint]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I have a fishing story instead, but it could just as easily have applied to a hunting trip...

Back in July, I was packing my last minute stuff to go with my buddy in his boat to fish the boils below Pickwick Dam. It was about 3 AM - you know, the last minute stuff. My wife was not in the bed when I woke up. I finally realized that she was upstairs in my son's room - she had fallen asleep reading him a book the night before!

I go upstairs and wake her up so she can go get in bed, tell her "bye", and head towards the door. As I reach for the door handle, I hear her falling down the stairs, and then crying...pretty gut-wrenching sound.

She was hurt enough that I walked out and told my friend I couldn't go. Turns out, her ankle was sprained pretty badly and she was fairly immobile for about a week.

I still accuse her of falling on purpose to keep me home \:\)

#3126049 - 01/16/13 05:12 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Crosshairy]
RobbyW
4 Point

Loc: Dickson County TN

A little different twist, where my grandpa ruined someone else hunt on purpose. This was a story he told years ago. He passed away about 9 years ago and I still think if this every time I see a bottle in the woods. He was hunting land that belonged to his brother in law. He was the only person supposed to be there. When he pulls up he sees a truck parked out there and looking at the light mist if snow can see someone had walked in the direction of his stand. He walks the ditch and finds an old glass bottle. He made a brownish color drink with a mix of coffee and water, and pours it in the bottle. He then stumbles towards his stand. Sure enough the guy is in his stand in private property. He never says a word just gets to the stand and sits down at the base of the tree, and swigs on his bottle. After about 10 minutes he staggers up and walks around the ridge. He tucked down and watch the guy run down the stand and run off out of the woods. Grandpa went back to his stand and hunted that afternoon. Scared they guy so bad about hunting with a drunk that they never saw him again.
#3126745 - 01/16/13 01:40 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: RobbyW]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Good story ^^^^^

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3127430 - 01/16/13 08:15 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Football Hunter]
dralarms
6 Point

Loc: athens, tn

Ran up on a meth lab. By the time the cops were done the deer were gone.
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (Nitro, smalljawbasser, lung-buster, Heavy Mass, huntintn, 250sav, 7 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93153 Topics
1088139 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.092 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.