Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3125289 - 01/15/13 05:10 PM Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts
dsa5455
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn.

I was wondering now that the season is over and you look back at some crazy circumstance that just flat ruined your day in the woods. What would be your best story?
My story begins during archery season in October 2012. I park my truck and make my way down the field to my stand site which is about 300 yards or so. I was hunting about 40 yards into the woods on the outside corner of the field where it narrows. I got my climber on the tree and reached the 22-25' height and settled in. In the distance I could hear a helicopter flying above the woods that I was hunting and it seemed as quickly as I heard him he is there hovering above my stand. Unable to figure out what is happening I do nothing (not so smart). A few minutes later I see spotlights in the field that I had passed through earlier to get to my stand. Now I'm concerned but the helicopter is making so much noise I can't understand what anyone is saying over the bullhorn. Finally,I make my way down the tree leaving all my stuff behind and walk out to meet the sheriff. He is waiting for me in the field and calls my name as I approach and after acknowledging it was me he tells me to get into his vehicle. Seems that one of the neighbors had threatened his wife and had gone into the woods armed. The heat sensors in the helicopter had picked up my image and I suppose picked up an image of my bow in hand as well. The sheriff showing up saw my truck along with my 4 wheeler and ran my tags.They were going to send officers in at daylight but definitely wanted me out of the woods. Had to leave everything there until that evening. As for the armed neighbor in the woods it was more of a he said versus she said but I don't think he was in there.

#3125347 - 01/15/13 05:44 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Dang that's crazy. Can't think of anything strange that ruined a hunt for me last year.

#3125434 - 01/15/13 06:25 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: catman529]
Matthew Spangler
Button

Loc: Fort Campbell, KY

That's crazy. Mine can't compare but here goes.

Similar set up, on Fort Campbell about 40 yards into the woods off the Corner of a field. I'm sitting in my climber above a funnel where deer are moving into and around the outskirts of the field. I'm expecting deer to be moving from me left to front and right to front and I have the field over my left shoulder. Well about 0800 I start hearing whistling and here comes another hunter just walking through the woods on my deer trail from left to my center. He walks right under my tree and into the woods over my right shoulder. So I know that trail is burnt for a coue hours and I can hear him bustling around in the woods behind me on the edge of the field. He never even saw me. I figure I still have the trail from the right to my front that comes from deeper woods so I might as we sit tight and see what happens. Well. 30 minutes later here come a father and son down my trail from the right to my front. Their chattin away and making plenty of noise as they walk right under my tree and never notice me. Well the first guy has swung back around and all three of em meet up about 30 yards from my tree and have nice conversation before walking out into the field over my left shoulder. So now my whole area is burnt. I climb down and head home. Thing was they were not parked anywhere near me. Just hunting by walking through the whole area I guess. I was pretty angry but also pretty amazed I could sit 20 feet above these guys in blaze orange and no one even notice me.

Not as good a story but its the one odd day in a tree for me this year

#3125449 - 01/15/13 06:31 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Matthew Spangler]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Had 2 guys come up the river where I was hunting in Ky,this year,didnt give it much thought,people fish there all the time,deer are used to it.Had a nice buck coming,just needed him to take a few more steps to clear some brush,and.........

He looked upp and took off,I look where he was looking,one guy in full camo,I mean head to toe,and another in full khacki color????? I waived my hat they left,and I just set there cussing under my breath.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3125627 - 01/15/13 07:46 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Football Hunter]
gatodoc
6 Point

Loc: harriman. TN

Crossed the corner of adjoining property to get to my permitted property. No posted signs and had crossed the short corner in thick pines several times previously. My hunting buddy had told me earlier in the year he'd talk to the property owner who knows we hunt the adjoining property and make him aware of our presence in the woods.

Guy approaches me in the pines (found out later it was non resident son in law of absent property owner) and tells me the land is posted and I got to leave the woods (no posted signs anywhere). I apologized for stepping onto the property and informed him I'd be off it in 30 more feet, but I was going on and hunt the property up ahead that I had written permission to hunt. He went back the way he'd come, I walked 30 feet forward in the pines onto the proper property, turned 90 degrees right in the pines, walked 50 yards over into my preset stand in some hard woods and settle in the stand.

22 cal. shots start ringing out from the direction the guy had headed and I could hear them hitting in the pines on the property I was legally hunting. A couple ricochet into the hard woods near me so I climbed down and sat with my back to the direction of fire behind the tree.

I couldn't get a cell signal to call LEOs. After and hour or so and about 40 shots, it got quiet. I slipped through the woods on the other side of the property and left fuming....

#3125652 - 01/15/13 08:00 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Matthew Spangler]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: Matthew Spangler
That's crazy. Mine can't compare but here goes.

Similar set up, on Fort Campbell about 40 yards into the woods off the Corner of a field. I'm sitting in my climber above a funnel where deer are moving into and around the outskirts of the field. I'm expecting deer to be moving from me left to front and right to front and I have the field over my left shoulder. Well about 0800 I start hearing whistling and here comes another hunter just walking through the woods on my deer trail from left to my center. He walks right under my tree and into the woods over my right shoulder. So I know that trail is burnt for a coue hours and I can hear him bustling around in the woods behind me on the edge of the field. He never even saw me. I figure I still have the trail from the right to my front that comes from deeper woods so I might as we sit tight and see what happens. Well. 30 minutes later here come a father and son down my trail from the right to my front. Their chattin away and making plenty of noise as they walk right under my tree and never notice me. Well the first guy has swung back around and all three of em meet up about 30 yards from my tree and have nice conversation before walking out into the field over my left shoulder. So now my whole area is burnt. I climb down and head home. Thing was they were not parked anywhere near me. Just hunting by walking through the whole area I guess. I was pretty angry but also pretty amazed I could sit 20 feet above these guys in blaze orange and no one even notice me.

Not as good a story but its the one odd day in a tree for me this year
See idiots like you described every year, nothing pisses me off more!

Genesis 27:3

#3125880 - 01/15/13 09:56 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: PinchPoint]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I have a fishing story instead, but it could just as easily have applied to a hunting trip...

Back in July, I was packing my last minute stuff to go with my buddy in his boat to fish the boils below Pickwick Dam. It was about 3 AM - you know, the last minute stuff. My wife was not in the bed when I woke up. I finally realized that she was upstairs in my son's room - she had fallen asleep reading him a book the night before!

I go upstairs and wake her up so she can go get in bed, tell her "bye", and head towards the door. As I reach for the door handle, I hear her falling down the stairs, and then crying...pretty gut-wrenching sound.

She was hurt enough that I walked out and told my friend I couldn't go. Turns out, her ankle was sprained pretty badly and she was fairly immobile for about a week.

I still accuse her of falling on purpose to keep me home \:\)

#3126049 - 01/16/13 05:12 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Crosshairy]
RobbyW
4 Point

Loc: Dickson County TN

A little different twist, where my grandpa ruined someone else hunt on purpose. This was a story he told years ago. He passed away about 9 years ago and I still think if this every time I see a bottle in the woods. He was hunting land that belonged to his brother in law. He was the only person supposed to be there. When he pulls up he sees a truck parked out there and looking at the light mist if snow can see someone had walked in the direction of his stand. He walks the ditch and finds an old glass bottle. He made a brownish color drink with a mix of coffee and water, and pours it in the bottle. He then stumbles towards his stand. Sure enough the guy is in his stand in private property. He never says a word just gets to the stand and sits down at the base of the tree, and swigs on his bottle. After about 10 minutes he staggers up and walks around the ridge. He tucked down and watch the guy run down the stand and run off out of the woods. Grandpa went back to his stand and hunted that afternoon. Scared they guy so bad about hunting with a drunk that they never saw him again.
#3126745 - 01/16/13 01:40 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: RobbyW]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Good story ^^^^^

#3127430 - 01/16/13 08:15 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Football Hunter]
dralarms
6 Point

Loc: athens, tn

Ran up on a meth lab. By the time the cops were done the deer were gone.
#3127443 - 01/16/13 08:23 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Just dogs and other hunters. No big deal.

#3127509 - 01/16/13 08:56 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: timberjack86]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Hunting WestVaco paper company land. Had a man come out in the woods hollering looking for someone. It was his son in law. He spooked a buck I was watching. I heard a shot pretty soon afterwards. I was ready to be pissed. He was looking for his son in law. The daughter/wife was pregnant her water had broke.Dude tagged the buck and took off. I helped the father in law drag it out and load it up.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3127632 - 01/16/13 09:47 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

content Online
I was xbow one evening, had a deer coming straight to me, 150,100, 75,50 yards.. then my wife pulls in the driveway, hits the garage door opener.. my dog comes barreling out.. straight for my stand.. the deer tears out for parts unknown..
also had a big gobbler one spring about 15 yards from me, all it had to do was walk across the property line and it was mine.. it was coming straight towards me.. i had my gun up and had already said to myself I had killed one.. nothing was stopping this bird.. except a herd of deer that came charging out of no where and scared it off.. a few minutes later here comes 2 dogs that were chasing the deer,,,

#3127649 - 01/16/13 09:53 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

This past season, I had two guys pull their boat on the bank of Priest at 7am, 100yards from the pinch point I was hunting, and jump out of the boat and start sword fighting for about 10 minutes and then they gather every bit of old wood they could find and built what looked like a 10ft high bonfire right there. Then last year I had part of the percussion section from Antioch High School's Marching Band come marching through at 4pm and then back through at 615pm. You want a ruined hunt.....come sit with me, it's almost a guaranteed event! \:\)

#3127662 - 01/16/13 10:05 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: TNDeerGuy]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

9:00 a.m. opening day I was on an inside edge watching a buck come out of the woods at my 10. He started acting shifty and kept looking out in front of the tree I was in. He blew off right when I noticed two of the neighbor's dogs sniffing each other's butts and the other two enjoying a "rut" of their own. I was pissed, but I couldn't help but laugh.

#3127694 - 01/16/13 10:48 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

I have been deer hunting over 40 years and had something happen I never had to happen b4. I had a big buck chasing 4 does come over the opposite hillside of the hollow I was watching. I got ready for them to come up my side for a wide open shot when all of a sudden they scattered back up the other side and jumped the fence and gone ! I was dumbfounded as to what tipped them off until I heard this weird noise and seen something going up that side of the hill. It was a darn Jack A$$ or Donkey however you want to call it but it chased those deer right out of there. Come to find out it was a neighbors and it had been a problem for some time by chasing and kicking the cows on the farm. I come within a hair shooting that sucker and claiming it was a MULE DEER... \:D
#3128080 - 01/17/13 10:02 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: MRUTVOL]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Buddy and me in line at Ft Campbell one year waiting on a permit, git to talking to an older guy, very friendly and talked our ears off for a couple hours. Turns out he was alone and got the same area we did for the afternoon. He follows us and parks beside us, asks if he can walk in and hunt the same general area as us since he's alone. Sure I say, not knowing this would be the worst mistake of the week!!! He comes out with a aluminum extension ladder painted camo for his treestand, banging and clanging all the way in along the firebreak. Im tickled to death when he finally says Ill hunt here and enters the woods, as im hurrying on out of his life forever. Not an hour later im settled in my stand and just had passed a couple does when I hear a shot from his direction. Within minutes he's screaming, Help, Help, over and over again. I just knew he had either shot himself or fell out of that silly ladder. I take off to help not knowing what I was about to walk in on. As I get close I see him on the ground standing over a lil one antlered buck, jumping up and down excited as heck. Im like whats wrong, and he says I killed one and knew you wouldnt mind helping me??? As mad as I am I dont say anything because he's so excited. He says if you will help me gut it and keep an eye on it while I go get my truck I would appreciate it. Sure I say just hurry! Next thing he does is lay his finger open to the bone trying to gut it, and as he's freaking out, you guessed it I end up gutting it for him! I tell him to go get the truck and congrats! He begs me to stay with the deer in fear someone will steal it?? Yeah right, nobody within a mile after the scene he's made. He gets a hundred or so yards away and starts yelling back for me to be watching and maybe I will kill one too!!!
Almost in disbelief I think well atleast once he's gone I will still have a couple hours to hunt. 20 mins later I hear something coming down the firebreak that sounds like a marching band and symbols clashing wildly. He's doing 30 mph in his little s10 that has a soft cover on the bed, beer cans bouncing out at every bump. He pulls up and the bed is 3/4 full of beer cans, no joke 3/4 full end to end top to bottom! Jumps out and drops the tailgate with more cans flying! Im ready to run when we load the deer and he lays it across the tailgate as it wont fit in with all the cans!! We say our goodbyes as Im about to take off running! \:\) He pulls maybe 50 ft and stops yelling out the window, I forgot my gun! Im starting to trot now as he puts it in reverse and starts backwards at mach speed, first bump the deer flies off and he runs all the way over it! Im trying to get him stopped and once he does he realizes what happened and puts it in drive and literally runs back over the lil buck!! Im in tears now and he's yelling and laughing hey will you help me one more time?? When he finally pulls from sight I literally dive in the brush and hide, fully expecting he will be back!! Ive never wanted peace and quiet more in my life!!!

#3128088 - 01/17/13 10:14 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Well, will be hard to top how Winchester had a hunt ruined!

So I won't even try, but will share an unusual experience I once had which "may" have run off any nearby deer. All I can say is I didn't see any deer that day. Sure scared the crap out of me for a split second, then left me with a once in a lifetime experience of nature.

One morning I was sitting about 20 feet high in a tree bowhunting on the edge of a swamp near the Mississippi River. I was enjoying getting to see a group of several wood ducks messing around near the base of my tree. This was probably around 8AM in the morning when something most unexpected happened. Out of no where, suddenly something HUGE was right in my face! It was a bald eagle! This HUGE eagle passed mere feet in front of my face as it was diving to catch a wood duck.

It grabbed one of the wood ducks, and the rest went flying like a flushed covey of quail, making more racket than I've ever heard ducks make! Remarkably, the targeted duck escaped from the eagle's clutch about 3 seconds after lift-off, as this monstrous bird of prey was lifting away high into the sky. The air in front of me was full of duck feathers, and the escaped wood duck came flying into the woods with about 3 screaming quacks per second.

Would say the duck likely died later from his wounds, but he did escape from the eagle, and I suspect any deer in the area quickly vacated from all the commotion. Seeing this, especially so close, was quite a spectacle of nature, and one of my most treasured moments ever afield.

#3128245 - 01/17/13 11:42 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Wes Parrish]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Some good storys \:\)

#3128515 - 01/17/13 03:21 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Football Hunter]
benellivol
4 Point

Low flying airplane, one of those single person planes, spooked a group of does coming through a field right towards me.
#3128578 - 01/17/13 04:13 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Winchester]
dsa5455
4 Point

That was a funny story. Laughed again and again. Winchester

Edited by dsa5455 (01/17/13 04:14 PM)

#3128579 - 01/17/13 04:15 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
dsa5455
4 Point

Many good stories.
#3128677 - 01/17/13 06:04 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

Was on a wma draw hunt in Florida one time. Had hunted a area in the morning with not much luck, so I decided to try my luck else where for the afternoon. Got my map out and located the biggest unenterupted block of woods I could find and decided I was going deep. This whole wma was a little over 48,000 acres, and the section I picked had to of been probably 3,000. Well I set out early and hiked toward the middle with my climber on my back. Found a spot close to the middle with real good sign, I was pumped, just knew it was going to be a good evening. Found a good pine and climbed up about 25', settled in about 1:45. About 3:30 two does come by my tree and get about 30 yds. to my left. They both throw they're head up and are looking back where they came from. Probably 15 to 20 seconds later I start hearing a motor in the distance. It keeps coming, getting closer and closer. The two does bolt and I'm trying to figure out whats going on. This place was pretty rough with no roads or trails for a good ways, no atv's allowed and no vehicles off the main dirt roads. Well it's coming right at me and I'm thinking this thing sounds like a harley. Sure enough, all the sudden it comes into view. Older chromed out, hard rappin' shotgun pipe harley. Guy driving was probably in his fifties, pony tail, leathers, the whole nine yards. Had a women with cut offs and old faded black tanktop on the back. Dude was on a mission, reving it up, clutching it, all the while dodging palmettos and pine trees. Ended up coming within 15 yds. from my tree. I was dumbfounded just watched them go out of site through the woods. No trails or nothing out there, I have no idea what they were doing. Needless to say I didn't see anything else that afternoon!
#3128691 - 01/17/13 06:19 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: darn2ten]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: darn2ten
Was on a wma draw hunt in Florida one time. Had hunted a area in the morning with not much luck, so I decided to try my luck else where for the afternoon. Got my map out and located the biggest unenterupted block of woods I could find and decided I was going deep. This whole wma was a little over 48,000 acres, and the section I picked had to of been probably 3,000. Well I set out early and hiked toward the middle with my climber on my back. Found a spot close to the middle with real good sign, I was pumped, just knew it was going to be a good evening. Found a good pine and climbed up about 25', settled in about 1:45. About 3:30 two does come by my tree and get about 30 yds. to my left. They both throw they're head up and are looking back where they came from. Probably 15 to 20 seconds later I start hearing a motor in the distance. It keeps coming, getting closer and closer. The two does bolt and I'm trying to figure out whats going on. This place was pretty rough with no roads or trails for a good ways, no atv's allowed and no vehicles off the main dirt roads. Well it's coming right at me and I'm thinking this thing sounds like a harley. Sure enough, all the sudden it comes into view. Older chromed out, hard rappin' shotgun pipe harley. Guy driving was probably in his fifties, pony tail, leathers, the whole nine yards. Had a women with cut offs and old faded black tanktop on the back. Dude was on a mission, reving it up, clutching it, all the while dodging palmettos and pine trees. Ended up coming within 15 yds. from my tree. I was dumbfounded just watched them go out of site through the woods. No trails or nothing out there, I have no idea what they were doing. Needless to say I didn't see anything else that afternoon!
that's crazy \:D

#3128701 - 01/17/13 06:30 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: catman529]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I was hunting timber comapny land in hardeman county. I jumped a tiny ditch and since it was sprinkling abit I hunkered down under a cedar tree and tried to keep my Muzzle loader dry. Rain got worse and worse and I decided to quit for the day. The ditch was a raging river 6 feet wide. I was trapped and spent 4 more hours hunkered under that cedar.

I took my 2 boys and youngest daughter hunting in a federal refuge. I had a popup blind. Rain started and we quickly popped the blind open and everyone got inside. Rain was smakcing down on mushrooms and puffs of smoke were popping up. The kids were hysterical, laughing so loud the inside of the pop-up was deafening. We decided to walk back to the truck and when we got home my daughter immediately ran, dripping wet, into the pantry and got a box of baking soda and played mushroom for Mom.

#3128734 - 01/17/13 06:48 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dralarms]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

I just can't write it...everything from being hung upside down on a barn roof nail by my family jewels, having a guy try to shoot me with a shotgun while duck hunting... to my 7 year old son telling me there was a deer "right over there because I can see his feet"...I'm just going to enjoy the stories and thank God we are all here to read 'em

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3129153 - 01/18/13 06:10 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Coach]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Winchester...funniest thing I've heard all year! It's only January but I think that will stay in the top spot for a long time.
#3129341 - 01/18/13 09:07 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: tasaman]
MooreEagle
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

My dad shot my sister's boy friend while we were rabbit hunting. He was ok, but I think my dad got his point across.
#3129409 - 01/18/13 10:32 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: MooreEagle]
Hunt72
Button

Winchester - holy cow. Laughed until I cried.
#3130169 - 01/18/13 08:48 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Hunt72]
pledbetter
6 Point

Loc: Shelbyville , TN

Wow , I would pay good money to witness a couple of these stories go down.

This past season I had hunted about a 15 acre woodlot almost exclusively , because of one particular buck that I knew was using it. My hunting buddy and I have had this 200 acre farm leased for 6 years , and we always had the understanding that if one of us were in a certain stand , that the other one would respect him and not enter the area.
Well , after not being able to hunt a bunch this year , because of work , I was finally able to figure out what I was gonna have to do to be able to get on these deer using the woodlot , and was not gonna be easy!!! So , on this particular morning we met up extra early and went to the farm. When I say early , I mean at 3:30 a.m. I was ready to start my 300 yard journey to my stand.
By 4:30 a.m. I was about 125 yards and I had to literally get down on my hands and knees and start crawling through one of the most dense thickets I have ever seen , and right in the middle of this thicket there is a creek that I had to cross. Let me just say that it was pretty cold that morning , but hey if it means a possible shot at a mature deer , i'll go to extreme measures , lol.
I finally made it to the stand about 20 minutes after daylight and I hadn't heard a single deer spook.
I had been in the stand about 45 minutes and was watching a group of does feeding about 30 yards from my stand when I heard what sounded like a deer running in a thicket about 100 yards in front of me. Then I heard the grunts coming from the thicket and started catching glimpses of a buck chasing another deer. I couldn't tell how big he was and definitely had no
getting a clear shot , just be patient I kept telling myself , maybe the doe will bring him out of the thick stuff. This goes on for about 10 minutes , then I get a text from my buddy saying "hey im gonna walk around , I aint seen a single deer". I tell him " man its only like 8 oclock and the deer are just now starting to move". He replied , "ok , im gonna go check the field where the shooting house is". (Which is on the back side of the farm , probably about 500 yards away from the stand I was hunting , so I think ok , if he goes back there it won't bother the deer i'm seeing.)
I text him back and say "ok just please don't come over here because i've got a buck chasing in this thicket".
He said "ok , good luck".
15 or 20 minutes later , BOOM BOOM , no more than 75 or 100 yards to my right , totally the opposite direction from where he said he was going and maybe 50 yards from the thicket where the buck is.
I text him and ask if that was him and he said "yep I decided to go to the truck and jumped a small doe ". I'm sitting there dumbfounded and pretty irritated because if he had been going to the truck he went the looooooong way around , which just so happens to take you right by the woodlot I was in.
He text again saying the doe ran toward me and that he was gonna check for blood. Before I could tell him to stay where he was , the buck in the thicket must've realized what was going on because he came full throttle out of the thicket , I figure he was about 2 counties before I ever had a chance to even think about trying to find him in the scope. Oh man , I was beyond mad. I have no idea exactly how many points he had , or what he might have scored , but I do know he was a definite shooter and he was biiig bodied.
I really didnt think I could've gotten any more upset , until I finally got down and found my buddy , who had already pretty much ran back to the spot where he started the morning out.
When I did finally get to where he was , I noticed he had a different gun than he usually hunted with. He had brought the 30/30 that he had bought the night before. He gave $100 for it and didn't even know if it even shot , much less if it was sighted in. I ask what in the h@#ll he was thinkin when he decided to use a gun that he had never even seen fired and he said he just wanted to test it out. That's when I totally lost it , I had been able to hold my tongue for the most part until he said that.
Needless , to say he is no longer a hunting buddy of mine !!! That was the last time I hunted this past season. I mean it was bad enough that he ruined any chance I might've had at that buck , but to use a gun that he had never even shot?!?!? I respect deer and enjoy hunting too much to share the woods with someone like that , but thats just me , lol.
So if anyone hears of a lease in bedford county or anywhere close , i'm definitely looking.

#3130264 - 01/18/13 10:13 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pledbetter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: pledbetter
Wow , I would pay good money to witness a couple of these stories go down.

This past season I had hunted about a 15 acre woodlot almost exclusively , because of one particular buck that I knew was using it. My hunting buddy and I have had this 200 acre farm leased for 6 years , and we always had the understanding that if one of us were in a certain stand , that the other one would respect him and not enter the area.
Well , after not being able to hunt a bunch this year , because of work , I was finally able to figure out what I was gonna have to do to be able to get on these deer using the woodlot , and was not gonna be easy!!! So , on this particular morning we met up extra early and went to the farm. When I say early , I mean at 3:30 a.m. I was ready to start my 300 yard journey to my stand.
By 4:30 a.m. I was about 125 yards and I had to literally get down on my hands and knees and start crawling through one of the most dense thickets I have ever seen , and right in the middle of this thicket there is a creek that I had to cross. Let me just say that it was pretty cold that morning , but hey if it means a possible shot at a mature deer , i'll go to extreme measures , lol.
I finally made it to the stand about 20 minutes after daylight and I hadn't heard a single deer spook.
I had been in the stand about 45 minutes and was watching a group of does feeding about 30 yards from my stand when I heard what sounded like a deer running in a thicket about 100 yards in front of me. Then I heard the grunts coming from the thicket and started catching glimpses of a buck chasing another deer. I couldn't tell how big he was and definitely had no
getting a clear shot , just be patient I kept telling myself , maybe the doe will bring him out of the thick stuff. This goes on for about 10 minutes , then I get a text from my buddy saying "hey im gonna walk around , I aint seen a single deer". I tell him " man its only like 8 oclock and the deer are just now starting to move". He replied , "ok , im gonna go check the field where the shooting house is". (Which is on the back side of the farm , probably about 500 yards away from the stand I was hunting , so I think ok , if he goes back there it won't bother the deer i'm seeing.)
I text him back and say "ok just please don't come over here because i've got a buck chasing in this thicket".
He said "ok , good luck".
15 or 20 minutes later , BOOM BOOM , no more than 75 or 100 yards to my right , totally the opposite direction from where he said he was going and maybe 50 yards from the thicket where the buck is.
I text him and ask if that was him and he said "yep I decided to go to the truck and jumped a small doe ". I'm sitting there dumbfounded and pretty irritated because if he had been going to the truck he went the looooooong way around , which just so happens to take you right by the woodlot I was in.
He text again saying the doe ran toward me and that he was gonna check for blood. Before I could tell him to stay where he was , the buck in the thicket must've realized what was going on because he came full throttle out of the thicket , I figure he was about 2 counties before I ever had a chance to even think about trying to find him in the scope. Oh man , I was beyond mad. I have no idea exactly how many points he had , or what he might have scored , but I do know he was a definite shooter and he was biiig bodied.
I really didnt think I could've gotten any more upset , until I finally got down and found my buddy , who had already pretty much ran back to the spot where he started the morning out.
When I did finally get to where he was , I noticed he had a different gun than he usually hunted with. He had brought the 30/30 that he had bought the night before. He gave $100 for it and didn't even know if it even shot , much less if it was sighted in. I ask what in the h@#ll he was thinkin when he decided to use a gun that he had never even seen fired and he said he just wanted to test it out. That's when I totally lost it , I had been able to hold my tongue for the most part until he said that.
Needless , to say he is no longer a hunting buddy of mine !!! That was the last time I hunted this past season. I mean it was bad enough that he ruined any chance I might've had at that buck , but to use a gun that he had never even shot?!?!? I respect deer and enjoy hunting too much to share the woods with someone like that , but thats just me , lol.
So if anyone hears of a lease in bedford county or anywhere close , i'm definitely looking.
well dang, that sucks. Hope you find a new spot to hunt.

#3130277 - 01/18/13 10:20 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pledbetter]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

this following event has haunted my dreams and occuppied my thoughts for the 20+ years since it happened. i am no closer to explaining it now that i was the blue skied mid october friday that it took place. i was 14 or 15 hunting on a farm that i still hunt to this day. it is the farm i cut my teeth hunting and it is still the best farm i have ever hunted. it was and is family land,owned by my uncle. his son was my best friend and classmate. it was the friday after parent teacher conference and one we never had to go school on in my home county. the farm i grew up on and lived was just a mile down a country rd from this one. That morning, like any other i hunted, i rode my honda 250 fourtrax atv to my uncles farm, crossed by his tyson chicken barns, opened the gate, road across a big field and drove the atv just inside the woods. i would walk the last 1/4 mile down the logging road to the oak knoll in the middle of a 60 acre woods. this morn was no different. It was a perfect day, cool clear with the slightest of breezes, just enough to make the orange leaves dance a bit. i remember seeing alot of deer, but none within bow range. mid morning, i would say 830 or so, i heard my atv fire up. i was shocked a bit, but not overly concerned. i figured my uncle might need to move it to access the logging rd, although i couldnt think why. i heard the atv meander back into the field at half throttle and putt around the big field a bit for heading through an adjacent woods and head to the back pastures. i eventually heard the engine purr out of ear shot, disguised in the rustling of the leaves. Finally at 10 or so, with deer movement dwindling, i made my way back out the logging rd to where i had left the atv. no surprise, it wasnt there. i followed where my mind told me the sound had led and picked up my tracks on a muddy lane seperating two fields and came across my atv in a small interior field sitting pretty much dead center in it. looking around i saw no one, i half heartedly called out looking for a responce i never got. i started it up and headed back out. as i pulled through the gate by the chicken barns owned by my uncle, i expected to see his old brown chevy truck sitting there laughing his arse off at his trick. instead i see a red ford pulling in. The man who got out of the truck was an old sour puss that lived down the rd. i knew him fairly well, he owned several chicken barns himself. he was nearly cripple and on the north side of 70. i asked him where my uncle was. he told me that my uncle and family used the long weekend to head to the smokies for a weekend getaway and he was watching the chicken barns while they were gone. i was shocked. when my uncle and cousin returned, i didnt tell them what happened i just asked what time they left. it turned out that they had left at noon the day before the event happened. remember this is a rural area on a friday during mid bow season. 1988-1989. very low hunting pressure at that time during rifle, much less during bow season. still think about that day each time i walk down that logging rd. still no answers.

#3130511 - 01/19/13 08:53 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: redblood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: redblood
. . . . . still no answers.

SOMEONE was in the process of stealing your atv?

#3130641 - 01/19/13 10:52 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: ]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Winchester - that's one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3130664 - 01/19/13 11:18 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Andy S.]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

content Online
Winchester.. you win!!!!

#3130701 - 01/19/13 11:55 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pressfit]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I have a story from this season but it's not nearly as good as Winchester's. On Dec 30th I hiked quite a ways back into some TVA land to hunt an oak flat that was loaded with fresh sign. One side of the oak flat bordered a strip of pasture that was private property. I climbed about 25ft up a red oak that was at least 50 yds inside the TVA land. I spent the early morning scanning across the oak flat and down into the creek bottom that bordered it. Occasionally I would turn my head and look into the pasture to see if any deer were coming from the private property onto the TVA land. Around 9am I look into the pasture and see blaze orange. A guy, presumably the land owner, was standing still in the middle of the strip of pasture. He was dressed in camo with a blaze orange hat and vest and a rifle over his shoulder and he was just standing there staring at me. I know I stood out like a bonfire in that tree because it was cold and I was wearing a big blaze orange parka. He just stood there staring at me for a few minutes and then he turned around and walked away into the woods on the far side of the pasture. I figured he must have decided to hunt elsewhere since he saw me. About 15 minutes go by and then I hear a truck in the distance and it sounds like it's coming closer. Sure enough, here he comes in his pickup down the edge of the pasture that borders the TVA land. He stares up at me as he drives by and then he goes down to the end of pasture and parks the truck and gets out and takes a leak. Then he gets back in the truck and drives up the other side of the pasture and stops the truck and gets out. He proceeds to dismantle some kind of ladder stand that apparently he had placed just inside the woods on the other side of the pasture. The stand was in sections and as he takes it apart he chucks each section into the pasture. The noise of metal clanging together must have echoed for over a mile. Each time he throws a new piece of the stand into the pasture he looks over at me. Then he proceeds to toss each piece of the stand into his truck bed, which makes even more racket as the pieces clang together. This whole episode lasts about 20 minutes. I pondered whether to climb down and relocate, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of running me off so I stayed put in my climber and just ate my lunch. Then he drives up to the top of the pasture and over a small hill out of sight, but he's not gone yet. I hear him stop the truck and get out. Next, he starts shooting his rifle. He fires about 5 or 6 shots over the course of a few minutes. Finally I hear him get in his truck for good and drive off. I didn't see or hear him the rest of the morning. I also didn't see or hear any deer the rest of the morning.

#3130847 - 01/19/13 03:00 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Wes Parrish]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: redblood
. . . . . still no answers.

SOMEONE was in the process of stealing your atv?

i dont think so. there is no exit on the backside of the property and he never even drove to any boundary.

#3131710 - 01/20/13 11:07 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Vermin93]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I have a story from this season but it's not nearly as good as Winchester's. On Dec 30th I hiked quite a ways back into some TVA land to hunt an oak flat that was loaded with fresh sign. One side of the oak flat bordered a strip of pasture that was private property. I climbed about 25ft up a red oak that was at least 50 yds inside the TVA land. I spent the early morning scanning across the oak flat and down into the creek bottom that bordered it. Occasionally I would turn my head and look into the pasture to see if any deer were coming from the private property onto the TVA land. Around 9am I look into the pasture and see blaze orange. A guy, presumably the land owner, was standing still in the middle of the strip of pasture. He was dressed in camo with a blaze orange hat and vest and a rifle over his shoulder and he was just standing there staring at me. I know I stood out like a bonfire in that tree because it was cold and I was wearing a big blaze orange parka. He just stood there staring at me for a few minutes and then he turned around and walked away into the woods on the far side of the pasture. I figured he must have decided to hunt elsewhere since he saw me. About 15 minutes go by and then I hear a truck in the distance and it sounds like it's coming closer. Sure enough, here he comes in his pickup down the edge of the pasture that borders the TVA land. He stares up at me as he drives by and then he goes down to the end of pasture and parks the truck and gets out and takes a leak. Then he gets back in the truck and drives up the other side of the pasture and stops the truck and gets out. He proceeds to dismantle some kind of ladder stand that apparently he had placed just inside the woods on the other side of the pasture. The stand was in sections and as he takes it apart he chucks each section into the pasture. The noise of metal clanging together must have echoed for over a mile. Each time he throws a new piece of the stand into the pasture he looks over at me. Then he proceeds to toss each piece of the stand into his truck bed, which makes even more racket as the pieces clang together. This whole episode lasts about 20 minutes. I pondered whether to climb down and relocate, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of running me off so I stayed put in my climber and just ate my lunch. Then he drives up to the top of the pasture and over a small hill out of sight, but he's not gone yet. I hear him stop the truck and get out. Next, he starts shooting his rifle. He fires about 5 or 6 shots over the course of a few minutes. Finally I hear him get in his truck for good and drive off. I didn't see or hear him the rest of the morning. I also didn't see or hear any deer the rest of the morning.

sounds like he didnt want any competition

#3132386 - 01/20/13 08:38 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: redblood]
jjake40lb
Spike

Loc: TN, USA

Went hunting one afternoon during muzzle loader and found a couple (in there 50's) having sex in my foodplot. Wasn't 30 yards from my treestand.
#3132444 - 01/20/13 09:11 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: jjake40lb]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

Originally Posted By: jjake40lb
Went hunting one afternoon during muzzle loader and found a couple (in there 50's) having sex in my foodplot. Wasn't 30 yards from my treestand.

Ive heard at that age if the opportunity arises dont let it go to waste no matter where your at \:D

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3132875 - 01/21/13 10:28 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: rem270]
ktmsmitty
Spike

Loc: Mid-TN

I was hunting in a stand a few yaers back and had a sqirrel come down the tree next to me, about 8 feet away, and start barking and raising cane. I just tried to ignore it and waited for it to go away. Wouldn't you know he just leaps across the gap and lands right on my shoulder/chest area. I don't know who was more scared when I hollered! Good thing I had a saftey harness on or that would have been it for me.

#3133192 - 01/21/13 02:59 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: ktmsmitty]
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Loc: Nolensville, TN

Originally Posted By: ktmsmitty
I was hunting in a stand a few yaers back and had a sqirrel come down the tree next to me, about 8 feet away, and start barking and raising cane. I just tried to ignore it and waited for it to go away. Wouldn't you know he just leaps across the gap and lands right on my shoulder/chest area. I don't know who was more scared when I hollered! Good thing I had a saftey harness on or that would have been it for me.

This is one of my worst nightmares while sitting in a tree stand. \:D

"Don't Be Where They Are, Be Where They're Gonna Be"

>------>

#3135647 - 01/23/13 08:08 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
moondog
8 Point

Loc: benton station tn usa

I was hunting AEDC one year out by the space institute, found a well used creek crossing not 75 yds from the main rd, late in the evening I hear a vehicle stop and figured another hunter was fixing to walk in on me, it turned out to be a young couple, they looked around,threw down a blanket and started hein and shein right in front of me.

#3135653 - 01/23/13 08:11 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: moondog]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: moondog
....it turned out to be a young couple, they looked around,threw down a blanket and started hein and shein right in front of me.
LOL \:D

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3135917 - 01/23/13 11:25 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Andy S.]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

I was hunting in Chuck Swan in the early 90's. It was a bow hunt so I was wearing camo. I was sitting in this blown down tree top that had fallen into some cedars making a perfect blind. Another hunter came in and set up about 50 yards away. I whistled but he paid no attention. I sat there for a few minutes debating whether to leave or not. During that time he began to beat his meat with reckless abandon! I stood up and he freaked out. I just laughed like hell as I left!
#3135945 - 01/23/13 11:52 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: dsa5455]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Originally Posted By: dsa5455
I was wondering now that the season is over and you look back at some crazy circumstance that just flat ruined your day in the woods. What would be your best story?
My story begins during archery season in October 2012. I park my truck and make my way down the field to my stand site which is about 300 yards or so. I was hunting about 40 yards into the woods on the outside corner of the field where it narrows. I got my climber on the tree and reached the 22-25' height and settled in. In the distance I could hear a helicopter flying above the woods that I was hunting and it seemed as quickly as I heard him he is there hovering above my stand. Unable to figure out what is happening I do nothing (not so smart). A few minutes later I see spotlights in the field that I had passed through earlier to get to my stand. Now I'm concerned but the helicopter is making so much noise I can't understand what anyone is saying over the bullhorn. Finally,I make my way down the tree leaving all my stuff behind and walk out to meet the sheriff. He is waiting for me in the field and calls my name as I approach and after acknowledging it was me he tells me to get into his vehicle. Seems that one of the neighbors had threatened his wife and had gone into the woods armed. The heat sensors in the helicopter had picked up my image and I suppose picked up an image of my bow in hand as well. The sheriff showing up saw my truck along with my 4 wheeler and ran my tags.They were going to send officers in at daylight but definitely wanted me out of the woods. Had to leave everything there until that evening. As for the armed neighbor in the woods it was more of a he said versus she said but I don't think he was in there.

Same thing happened to me. I had called in a buck and it stopped behind a tree and while I was waiting on it to step out and shoot a TVA helicopter comes out of nowhere and hovers over my head treetop high and a man begins working on the powerline I was hunting. I got a better chance of hitting the lottery than that happening. No sheriffs involved tho.

#3136028 - 01/23/13 01:15 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: 348Winchester]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

Originally Posted By: 348Winchester
I was hunting in Chuck Swan in the early 90's. It was a bow hunt so I was wearing camo. I was sitting in this blown down tree top that had fallen into some cedars making a perfect blind. Another hunter came in and set up about 50 yards away. I whistled but he paid no attention. I sat there for a few minutes debating whether to leave or not. During that time he began to beat his meat with reckless abandon! I stood up and he freaked out. I just laughed like hell as I left!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! \:D

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3136193 - 01/23/13 03:10 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: 348Winchester]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: 348Winchester

You have got to be kidding me. Please tell me you are making this up. Please, I beg you....

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (devo1980, jar, pastorbmp, pressfit, mjac, Southpaw, 6 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96071 Topics
1124931 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.