Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 11 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#3124287 - 01/14/13 11:11 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Rem700300]
Vermin93
10 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Rem700300
1. If someone offered to let you hunt some exclusive hunting club on the Mississippi River ie. Giles Island you'd have no problem with it? Free ranging but same as high fence.
2. 1,000 acres is not a can hunt. Good luck finding a deer that meets the ranch's management plan.
3. If you don't want to go don't go! There are plenty of people here that would take your spot.
4. Texas is different than the south east US. Most properties are to dry for food plots so they run corn feeders and protein.
5. Don't hate on someone else and their style of hunting. We as hunters should all stick together.

Sitting in a box blind over a food plot with a protein feeder in a 1000 acre pen that's chock full of big bucks is not hunting, it's shooting. I know - I just did it. 4 guys shot a 170, 204, 205, 211, 234 and a 243 in less than 48 hrs. 2 of the guys saw their bucks from afar one morning and went out and shot them that afternoon. Elk, stag, fallow, axis, audad, blackbuck and oryx running (more like walking) all over the darn place. I must be an elitist WMA hunting snob because if I had a good rifle and a 2-day window I believe I could have killed any animal I wanted to in that pen. I should have brought my bow. At least then it wouldn't have been so embarrassingly easy. The deer had tags stapled in their ears, for crying out loud. The good news is that I got 4 big bucks worth of venison out of it. Only 1 other guy actually wanted any meat. The rest just wanted their antlers. If I put this deer on the wall I may have to put a plaque underneath that says "Shot in high fence - easiest hunt ever". This ranch claims they've got the genetics to be able to grow 200 inch bucks in 2 1/2 years, which will bring the price down for people to feed their antler addictions. They say it will also allow them to grow 400 inch freaks in 4 1/2 years. Their motto ought to be "Hunts for guys who can't hunt".

Typical morning:

Step 1: Wake up, pee, get cup of coffee
Step 2: Get dressed, grab rifle and binos
Step 3: Get in Polaris ATV
Step 4: Enter Jurassic Park through high fence gate and watch animals run all over the place as guide speeds through the ranch on way to blind
Step 5: Get driven right up to nice, elevated box blind
Step 6: Enter elevated box blind and sit in comfortable office chair
Step 7: Stare out box blind windows at food plot and protein feeder
Step 8: Watch countless exotics come and go from the protein feeder. Take pictures because you feel like you are in a zoo.
Step 9: Watch various whitetail bucks come and go from the food plot
Step 10: Pass on several nice shooter bucks because guide wants you to shoot something bigger
Step 11: Don't talk when a group of whitetail does enter food plot because they are basically the only truly wary animals in the high fence and they will spook
Step 12: Watch monster 200+ inch buck enter food plot to check out wary does. Realize that inside the high fence there are only genetically engineered freak non-typical bucks that have overdosed on protein.
Step 13: Wait until monster buck turns broadside
Step 14: Shoot buck
Step 15: Exit blind, scare off any animals that didn't run away when you shot, make sure no psycho juvenile bull elk are around, approach dead buck, take pictures (hide tag in buck's ear so it's not so obvious)
Step 16: Watch guides load buck on back of Polaris
Step 17: Ride back to house and exit Jurassic Park through high fence gate
Step 18: Remove hunting clothes and fold them up nicely since you didn't come remotely close to breaking a sweat
Step 19: Get another cup of coffee and enjoy an awesome hearty breakfast made by really great cook
Step 20: Wait until others in group return with their monster bucks, then take pictures and grab a nap until afternoon hunt while guides field dress monster bucks

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

#3124290 - 01/14/13 11:13 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Rob R.
12 Point

Loc: Collierville TN.

WOW! What an awesome buck. Congrats on a deer of a lifetime!

Patron Member of the National Rifle Association Of America

#3124295 - 01/14/13 11:21 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: LIL JOKER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: LIL JOKER
1. If someone offered to let you hunt some exclusive hunting club on the Mississippi River ie. Giles Island you'd have no problem with it? Free ranging but same as high fence.
2. 1,000 acres is not a can hunt. Good luck finding a deer that meets the ranch's management plan.
3. If you don't want to go don't go! There are plenty of people here that would take your spot.
4. Texas is different than the south east US. Most properties are to dry for food plots so they run corn feeders and protein.
5. Don't hate on someone else and their style of hunting. We as hunters should all stick together.

i agree with number 1...we have water on all sides so i guess we are all fenced in lol

I'd disagree. Living near the MS River, seeing deer swimming across is is a common site. If you scout along the banks of the river, you'll see where numerous, high traffic deer trails enter and exit the river.

I'm not being argumentative, just making a point.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3124299 - 01/14/13 11:31 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

Sitting in a box blind over a food plot with a protein feeder in a 1000 acre pen that's chock full of big bucks is not hunting, it's shooting. I know - I just did it. 4 guys shot a 170, 204, 205, 211, 234 and a 243 in less than 48 hrs. 2 of the guys saw their bucks from afar one morning and went out and shot them that afternoon. Elk, stag, fallow, axis, audad, blackbuck and oryx running (more like walking) all over the darn place. I must be an elitist WMA hunting snob because if I had a good rifle and a 2-day window I believe I could have killed any animal I wanted to in that pen. I should have brought my bow. At least then it wouldn't have been so embarrassingly easy. The deer had tags stapled in their ears, for crying out loud. The good news is that I got 4 big bucks worth of venison out of it. Only 1 other guy actually wanted any meat. The rest just wanted their antlers. If I put this deer on the wall I may have to put a plaque underneath that says "Shot in high fence - easiest hunt ever". This ranch claims they've got the genetics to be able to grow 200 inch bucks in 2 1/2 years, which will bring the price down for people to feed their antler addictions. They say it will also allow them to grow 400 inch freaks in 4 1/2 years. Their motto ought to be "Hunts for guys who can't hunt".

Typical morning:

Step 1: Wake up, pee, get cup of coffee
Step 2: Get dressed, grab rifle and binos
Step 3: Get in Polaris ATV
Step 4: Enter Jurassic Park through high fence gate and watch animals run all over the place as guide speeds through the ranch on way to blind
Step 5: Get driven right up to nice, elevated box blind
Step 6: Enter elevated box blind and sit in comfortable office chair
Step 7: Stare out box blind windows at food plot and protein feeder
Step 8: Watch countless exotics come and go from the protein feeder. Take pictures because you feel like you are in a zoo.
Step 9: Watch various whitetail bucks come and go from the food plot
Step 10: Pass on several nice shooter bucks because guide wants you to shoot something bigger
Step 11: Don't talk when a group of whitetail does enter food plot because they are basically the only truly wary animals in the high fence and they will spook
Step 12: Watch monster 200+ inch buck enter food plot to check out wary does. Realize that inside the high fence there are only genetically engineered freak non-typical bucks that have overdosed on protein.
Step 13: Wait until monster buck turns broadside
Step 14: Shoot buck
Step 15: Exit blind, scare off any animals that didn't run away when you shot, make sure no psycho juvenile bull elk are around, approach dead buck, take pictures (hide tag in buck's ear so it's not so obvious)
Step 16: Watch guides load buck on back of Polaris
Step 17: Ride back to house and exit Jurassic Park through high fence gate
Step 18: Remove hunting clothes and fold them up nicely since you didn't come remotely close to breaking a sweat
Step 19: Get another cup of coffee and enjoy an awesome hearty breakfast made by really great cook
Step 20: Wait until others in group return with their monster bucks, then take pictures and grab a nap until afternoon hunt while guides field dress monster bucks

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Wow. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I think I know how you might feel based upon your description. Well.... It is what it is and I am glad you got the meat that you wanted/needed anyway. 4 big bucks is quite a bit of meat.

#3124363 - 01/15/13 05:40 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Yep, glad you got all that meat. If you think about it, let us know if you notice any difference in taste. I'd just be curious to know is all.

A buddy of mine went to Texas to some sort of Fleet Mgt show, one of those "business trips". Someway, somehow they were able to work an angle and one of the vendors knew someone that allowed them to hunt on their ranch. This vendor must have not been nearly as successful as the business Vermin is in though because my buddy was only allowed to shoot a "cull" buck and it couldn't have more than 6 points. It was the first and probably only time my buddy would ever get to do something like this so he was cool with it of course - and it was FREE for the most part. However, while sitting in the blind with his guide the guide kept pointing out deer to him saying, "You see that one there, that's a $25,000 deer. You see that one there, that's a $50,000 deer. We probably wouldn't let someone shoot that one. If someone wanted to shoot that one, we'd discourage it, but it'd be about a $15,000 deer." He just kept running through all these scenarios and prices. It was pretty interesting to see how deer hunting in TX is primarily a business. My buddy did end up killing a wide, tall 6 pointer that I doubt any Tennessean would pass up.

#3124371 - 01/15/13 05:47 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BlountArrow]
outdoors crazy
4 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tennessee

Congrats. Thats probably a once in a lifetime experience. Hang them antlers proudly!
#3124487 - 01/15/13 07:47 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

So did everyone make fun of the guy that shot the "little" 170" deer?? Like you, I would have done it if it was free but can't imagine anyone paying money for something like that.

#3124806 - 01/15/13 11:48 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Dbllunger]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Dbllunger
So did everyone make fun of the guy that shot the "little" 170" deer?? Like you, I would have done it if it was free but can't imagine anyone paying money for something like that.
\:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3124961 - 01/15/13 01:23 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Glad you got the meat from those bucks. It makes me kind of sick how many people are so crazed about the bone on top of a bucks head that they would spend thousands just to go in a pen and shoot the deer, with no interest in the meat at all. I can't stand antler hunters, I mean I LOVE antlers and bucks with good racks, but if the bone is all you want then go shed hunting or something! Oh wait, shed hunting is too much work. Rather ride in an ATV to an elevated suite and wait for the big boy to come in to the feeder.

But since you got to go on that hunt for free (I wouldn't hesitate to if offered) then that's pretty cool and it looks like you got a nice rack and lots of good meat from it. Congrats again

#3124970 - 01/15/13 01:30 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

So, did you add up the total net worth of your freezer meat? \:\)
You'll have to tell us how it feels to eat a $2,500 backstrap.

Page 7 of 11 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Bowdacious, paincave_2000, redhunterZ71, Tony USMC, SharpEyeGirl, WORM82, 1 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85590 Topics
1034228 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.216 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.