Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3123176 - 01/14/13 11:18 AM Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Over the holiday break, a buddy and I did quite a bit of venison sausage making. After making quite a few Andouille, Chorizo and Italian, we decided to improvise something different. After an assessment of available ingredients on hand, we ended up lining up all the Asian ingredients in the house and going for it:

Soy Sauce
Teryaki Sauce
Peanut Sauce
Chili Oil
Hoisin Sauce
Siracha
Honey
Sherry Vinegar
Chinese 5 spice
Red Pepper Flakes

We added pork fat back and started mixing ingredients and frying sample patties. It took us quite a while, but we ended up with some really good and unique that we called "red Dragon." I have been interested to try these sausages in a dish and, seeing how we recently received a cast iron Wok (a wedding present from BuckWild and his wife) that I have been wanting to break in, we decided to try a Asian venison dish.

Venison "Red Dragon" sausages. These were fried in the Wok and then finished in the oven:

Stir Fry:

The sausages were then split in half, placed in Asian buns, coated with Hoisin sauce and steamed for 20 minutes.

Steamed "Red Dragon" Sliders with Stir Fry:

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3123264 - 01/14/13 11:57 AM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Looks awesome! Did you use the gas stovetop for the wok?

#3123272 - 01/14/13 12:03 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Yeah, I am not certain that a electric stovetop would work with a cast iron wok. The bottom plate that sits directly on the heat is a solid 1/2 inch of cast iron so that the heat distributes evenly across the bowl. I'm not sure if you could get enough heat on it without flame. If you can, you would probably need to give it a solid 25 minutes of high heat.

#3123280 - 01/14/13 12:12 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

Yea...that looks real good. I love my cast iron wok. I'm thinking that an electric stove top eye will get that hot enough to cook.

I know it only takes a few minutes to completely burn out the bottom of an aluminum pot when the water boils out of it... \:D \:D

#3123295 - 01/14/13 12:24 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: BuckWild]
GREATWHITEHUNTER82
Spike

Loc: Knoxville TN

At what point did the ammunition get added? Lol

#3123377 - 01/14/13 01:22 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

Yeah, I am not certain that a electric stovetop would work with a cast iron wok. The bottom plate that sits directly on the heat is a solid 1/2 inch of cast iron so that the heat distributes evenly across the bowl. I'm not sure if you could get enough heat on it without flame. If you can, you would probably need to give it a solid 25 minutes of high heat.

I quit trying to use an electric range. Alton Brown claimed on one of his "Good Eats" episodes that there is not a non-commercial cooktop that can generate the BTU's to effectively utilize a wok as it's intended to be used. Solution? Fish cooker. I just wonder how much better your cast iron wok performed vs. the typical stamped sheet metal type.

#3123400 - 01/14/13 01:43 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I quit trying to use an electric range. Alton Brown claimed on one of his "Good Eats" episodes that there is not a non-commercial cooktop that can generate the BTU's to effectively utilize a wok as it's intended to be used. Solution? Fish cooker. I just wonder how much better your cast iron wok performed vs. the typical stamped sheet metal type.

That's a good question. I think that in the long run, the cast iron wok will perform better because, over time, it will develop a deep, "Asian" season and add rich hints of chili oils, fish oils, peanut sauce etc. That, and it would make a great piece of body armor in a shoot out \:D

#3123611 - 01/14/13 04:11 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

That's a good question. I think that in the long run, the cast iron wok will perform better because, over time, it will develop a deep, "Asian" season and add rich hints of chili oils, fish oils, peanut sauce etc. That, and it would make a great piece of body armor in a shoot out \:D

Like Marty McFly in his duel with Mad Dog Tannen \:D

#3123701 - 01/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: TAFKAP]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

Wise Man Say...cast iron wok make great stir fry and great weapon... \:D \:D

#3125850 - 01/15/13 09:33 PM Re: Venison "Red Dragon" Sliders [Re: GREATWHITEHUNTER82]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

Originally Posted By: GREATWHITEHUNTER82
At what point did the ammunition get added? Lol

That was going to be my question.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (ferg, THE DUKE, RodBone75, MUP, EastTNboy, Haf2Hunt, 7 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89123 Topics
1042373 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.201 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.