Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3123307 - 01/14/13 12:33 PM Hog hunting opportunity
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Give ole Clifford a call, super guy.
I hunted with him when he had a deer hunting business in Illinois.
Make sure ya tell him you heard about it on tndeer.
\:D

HOG HOLLOW HUNTS

Our hunting area consists of small fields, surrounded by piney ridges, and hardwood hollows, filled with thickets, perfect habitat to grow trophy whitetail deer, wild turkeys, and unfortunately hogs! We have three ponds, full of fish, and miles of lanes winding through the woods that lead to the hunting fields.
The fields have been planted in Oats, Soybeans, and Austrian Winter Peas, which are utilized by whitetail deer, turkeys, and hogs year round.
We have placed stands at the edge of these fields, and along trails in the woods leading to the fields, which consistently produce good shooting opportunities for the patient hunter.

This property has been a great personal hunting and fishing camp for the same family for many, many years, and has never been commercially hunted in the past. It has always been a very productive deer hunting property, but the arrival of the hogs has taken a heavy toll, damaging the fields, roads, and pond levies, which has lead to this change of policy.

The main camp, which consists of three bedrooms, two baths, a nice living room area, and a kitchen nook, is very nicely furnished, and has many pictures, mounts, and mementos of hunts past. Our guest will be staying in this very homey hunting camp, which also has modern conveniences, including satellite TV.

We will furnish Continental breakfast, a sack lunch, and a wonderful evening meal, during your hunt. We will also have soft drinks and water on hand, but, no alcohol. This should cover most of your needs.
Just in case, there is a small store about fifteen miles away, and York is only a few miles past that. These should cover any other items you may want, but we really are “back in the sticks”.

Hog Hollow Hunts is the perfect get away for hunters who want to hunt, relax, and just forget about work, and responsibility for a fun weekend!
Come on down, and let us show what Southern Hospitality is all about!

To reserve your Hog Hollow hunting adventure contact Clifford at 601-940-8376.
We require a $225 deposit, with balance due in cash upon arrival.
No refunds! In case of a family emergency, or personal illness, we will gladly reschedule your hunt at a later date, in the same calendar year.

#3123308 - 01/14/13 12:34 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: RUGER]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Hog Hollow Hunts

Frequently asked questions:

What should I bring on the hunt? Your choice of weapon and a pull up rope, a fall restraint device, a ThermaCell just in case the bugs are out, at least one big ice chest, rubber boots, a good flashlight, a small pack, a sharp knife, and Poker money, if you play.

What kind of licenses do I need? You will need a three-day small game license, which is under $50, to hunt hogs. If you choose to fish, you will also need a trip license, which is under $30.

What does it take to kill a hog? Any sharp broadhead in the vitals will put a hog down fast. We would suggest you shoot at least fifty pounds, and be proficient out to forty yards, although most shots will be very close. If you are using a rifle, anything 25 caliber and up will do very well. Try to shoot them in the ear, if you want to save the maximum amount of meat.

Where are the vitals on a hog? Hogs have a smaller vital area than a whitetail deer, bunched closer toward the front of the animal. Shots should be right behind the front leg, and in middle of the body. But, remember that big boars have a thick shield, covering their front shoulders, which may limit penetration with a bow.
Frontal shots are not recommended with bow and arrow.

Are hogs as spooky as deer? Hogs, because of their feeding habits, are not nearly as spooky as deer, which makes them much easier to hunt. They do however have a very good sense of smell, and will flee the instant they smell you. Move slowly, and you should have no trouble killing a hog that is feeding, because their head is down, and they are concentrating on the food.

What kind of stands do you hunt out of? We have box stands, which are fully enclosed, ladder stands with shooting rails, and lock on stands. We also have a few ground blinds, if you are not comfortable climbing.

What time will I hunt? You will have access to the property during daylight hours, and may stay out as long as you like. The feeders should bring the hogs right to you.

How many hogs can I kill? Three, of any size.

How big do they get? Most of the hogs in our area will run up to about two hundred pounds. Occasionally, we see them larger, but not often!

Are wild hogs good to eat? Yes, they are very good to eat. The smaller ones, under a hundred pounds are great on the grill! The larger ones can either be ground up, cut into chops, or roasts. There is normally not much fat on a wild hog, but the flavor of the meat is excellent!

Is alcohol allowed? Our policy is simple… Once you begin drinking, you will not be allowed to hunt again that day, and drunkenness will not be tolerated! We are all here to have a good time, so please drink responsibly!

How far will I have to walk? In most cases we will drive you to within a few yards of your stand. But, you may be required to walk a few hundred yards either in, or out.

Will my cellphone work? We are located in a very remote area, but in most cases there is some signal, which allows us to stay in contact with each other, either by text, or actual phone calls. The signal at the camp is very good, so you can make calls from there.

Is there a processer in the area? No. And, it would be hard to get anything done in such short time period. Plan to take your meat home in a cooler, and get it done later.

Do I have to clean my own hogs? No. For a small fee your guides will be glad to skin and quarter them, and place them on ice in your cooler.

Is there a wireless network available? Unfortunately, along with the remote experience comes lack of a few things we may have all become accustomed to.
We do not have Internet connectivity at this time, although smart phones will work in the area.

What type of weather might I expect?
Temps may range from cool mornings to very warm afternoons (30 to 80 degrees). Bring a light jacket, and some clothing that you can handle the heat in, and you will be fine.

Where is the nearest airport? Meridian is about 45 minutes away. We can pick you up and take you back to catch a flight, for an additional fee. But, arrangements will need to be made in advance, so that we can stay on schedule and take care of the other guests.

#3123309 - 01/14/13 12:34 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: RUGER]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Hog Hollow Hunts

Beginning in February of 2012, we are offering limited access to our 700 acres in the lowlands around the Tombigbee River bottoms near York, Alabama, which is being overrun with feral hogs. They have become such a problem that we cannot handle them by just shooting them during the deer season, which has lead to bringing in outside help.

Clifford Neames, a well-known hunter with many years of experience running a quality hunting outfit, has been retained to supervise this new operation. He has
scouted the property, locating stands in strategic locations, accessible for both rifle and bow hunting. Clifford will be the head guide on our hunts, and will also handle scheduling the hunts, and all booking arrangements.

Because we are not a big operation, we will be offering only five three day hunts per year, beginning in February and March, and again in September, avoiding the hot summer months when hogs are mostly active at night. There will be a maximum of six hunters on each hunt.
Hogs can be active all day long, but move best during mornings and evenings most of the time, but you may also be able to hunt after dark, depending on conditions.
You can expect to see hogs of all sizes on this hunt, ranging from small piglets to mature boars. And, your chance of going home with some prime pork is very good.

Hunt Schedule:\
Each hunt will consist of two days of actual hunting, over three days in camp scheduled around weekends… (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
Hunters should plan to arrive on Friday beginning at 1 PM, if at all possible, and can begin their hunt that afternoon, or just relax at the camp. Later arrivals can get acquainted, and settle in, while we prepare a great evening meal. You may also fish in our ponds stocked with trophy largemouth bass at any time, on a catch and release basis.

Saturday morning we will be up early! And, after a Continental breakfast we will be headed to the stands, planning to arrive well before daylight. A sack lunch will be provided, so hunters can stay out as long as they wish or you may come in for a break before heading out for the afternoon hunt. We will have another big dinner planned!
The Sunday schedule will be the same as Saturday, but hunters who made an afternoon hunt on Friday will be heading home at noon.
Those who arrived too late to hunt on Friday afternoon will complete their hunt on Sunday afternoon.

You may take three hogs on this hunt, with no size limit. Pick what you want to shoot! Bring your ice chest, and try to fill it up.
We have scales, a skinning rack, on site, and the ability to take quality pics of your trophy.

Hunt Price: The three day hunt, which includes lodging, meals, and guide service is $450. If you choose, we can skin, quarter, and ice down your hog for an additional $35. There are no trophy, or hidden fees. But, tipping is definitely appreciated!

#3123310 - 01/14/13 12:35 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: RUGER]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Hog Hollow Hunts

Hunt Rules:
We want everyone to have a great time on their hunt, so these few rules are set in place to insure safety, and organization.

NO LOADED WEAPONS IN THE CAMP, OR IN VEHICLES!

NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! NO ALCOHOL UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO QUIT HUNTING FOR THE DAY.

ALL HUNTERS MUST HAVE PROPER LICENSES.

STAY UP AS LATE AS YOU WISH, BUT BE RESPECTFUL OF THOSE WHO MAY ALREADY BE TRYING TO SLEEP.

ALL HUNTERS MUST STAY ON ASSIGNED STAND. NO STALKING ALLOWED, UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY A GUIDE.

NO SMOKING ON STAND OR IN THE LODGE. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DIP, BRING ALONG SOMETHING TO SPIT IN.

NO LITTERING! BRING OUT EVERYTHING THAT YOU TAKE IN.

ALL HUNTERS MUST WEAR AN APPROVED FALL RESTRAINT DEVICE WHILE IN LOCK ON STANDS.

HUNTERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TRACK WOUNDED HOGS. IF YOU SHOOT AND THE HOG RUNS OFF, GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR GUIDE IMMEDIATELY! HE WILL TRACK FOR YOU.

#3123551 - 01/14/13 03:26 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: RUGER]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

Loc: watertown ,TN

I would love to get in on that.
#3123822 - 01/14/13 06:26 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
Clifford
TnDeer Old Timer
4 Point

Loc: Clinton, MS. U.S.A.

Thanks Ruger, for posting this...
This is a very small scale operation, with only five hunts per year, beginning our in mid February.

If you look up Hog Hollow Hunts on FaceBook, you can see pics of the accommodations, and some pics of hogs taken just before, and right after the opening of deer season.

Right now, I have one opening for the February 15-17 hunt, and can take a group no larger than six for the February 22-24th hunt, if anyone wants to come on down and make a quick hunt before turkey season kicks off.

Give me a call, and I will be glad to answer any other questions you might have...
Thanks,
Clifford

#3154666 - 02/07/13 07:27 AM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: Clifford]
HuntNShoot
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

content Online
Clifford,

What does a hunt cost? I saw a $225 deposit but I didn't see anything on the balance Thanks

#3155023 - 02/07/13 01:05 PM Re: Hog hunting opportunity [Re: HuntNShoot]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

content Online
Think I read 450/3 days

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (wayers, bigcntry, BigPete357, in the dog house!, jmlost, tfh555, 9 invisible) and 179 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99489 Topics
1170411 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.