Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3121715 - 01/13/13 10:05 AM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: jpwyatt42]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: jpwyatt42
You can't tell someone's quality by price it's impossible depends on why your in it in the first place. If its just something u enjoy doing then u can charge whatever you want. If your trying to make a little money at it you just have to charge a little more

your exactly right thats what i was trying to get at in my post above.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3121720 - 01/13/13 10:09 AM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: rem270]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I agree with you on the price thing I think the deer mounts look good. but for me im lucky enough to get a good deal. keep going on the more you do the better youll get. people aren't going to sugar coat it on here learned the hard way just like you are learning but they are just trying tom help. practice makes perfect so just keep on doing what your doing. I didn't see a price on European mounts how much for them?

#3121735 - 01/13/13 10:20 AM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: deerhunter10]
jpwyatt42
Spike

Loc: Tn

50 for just the skull 75 with plaque
#3127145 - 01/16/13 05:43 PM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: jpwyatt42]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

Its amazing how some can charge $500 and be covered up with work.
#3127279 - 01/16/13 07:01 PM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: jpwyatt42]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: jpwyatt42
Well I'm sorry buddy and if my mounts don't please u that is fine but my work is quality and I don't believe my eyelashes do point towards the sky. I won't let one user who says I do bad work effect me when I have had many other applaud my work thanks for your two cents though
Do you do them or your buddy? Anyway the mounts look great and the price is normal for my area.

#3127541 - 01/16/13 09:13 PM Re: Tried Backwoods Blessings Taxidermy? [Re: elkman]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

Originally Posted By: elkman
I can tell you that we use McKenzie supplies and charge $240.00 for a full shoulder mount. We take 10-15 heads a year, (dad has been doing it for 30yrs) to pay for elk license and cabin for our annual Colorado Elk Hunting Trip. I have no shame in telling you that with that price we clear about $115 a mount. That price includes a panel. BUT, if i were to do this for a living, i would not touch one for a penny less than $300.00. I guess what i am trying to say is "Dont judge someones mount quality by their price till you have seen it in person". My .02

I totally agree with you. I have been involved in it for 43 years and if people think that price is a indicator of the quality of work in the taxidermy world they are dead wrong. I have seen some $600 to $800 deerhead mounts from out west that were absolute junk. How can they charge that price you ask....In those cases they were taxidermist who were tied into an outfitter and mounted his clients heads for them as part of the hunting package options. Plus unlike back here in the East where taxidermist are a dime a dozen, they had very little competition locally. It could be hundreds of miles between taxidermist. Now having said all that ,in most cases there is a price threshold that if you fall below it can be a red flag as to type of work. Various factors go into what people charge and the large flucuations in cost from one taxidermist to the next. There is pretty much a base supply cost that goes into the mounting of a deerhead depending on what method is used. The additional cost is pretty much dictated by the location and what the local economy can sustain. The other factor is what the taxidermist thinks his time is worth which in a lot of cases is ego driven. A person who is doing taxidermy for a living would have a hard time making a good living off of a $200 deerhead mount. He would have to mount a large number as in 100s to make it profitable plus do other species such as birds and fish and etc. to really sustain a quality profit. This is one of the main reasons you have so many people start up fulltime taxidermist business only to foldup tent in a short time because of what is referred to as BURNOUT. There are only a small handfull of fulltime taxidermist that manage to have longevity at the business and they usually have a team of apprentices or outsource portions of their work just to keep up. It can be overwhelming if you do not manage it closely, you have to know your limits. There is a element out there that just do it as a hobby because they just enjoy the art and like to keep it enjoyable by only doing it as a hobby and do excellent work. They are a limited few but are there and in most cases have a small limited select clientel they deal with, most being friends Getting to be on their friend list can be difficult sometimes. The worst thing a fulltime taxidermist can have is a LOT OF FRIENDS because he will go broke. They are the ones that are always wanting a favor and cost cut ...

What it comes down to is the hunter himself to educate himself as to what a quality mount should look like. I would suggest when available going to a event that has a taxidermy display such as the Wild Turkey Convention here in Nashville where they have a deerhead competion with dozens of mounts to be judged . Observe the different mounts and note detail such as the eyes and nose and such. Most of your average hunters have no idea as to what is top notch and average work. They are mostly focused on the headgear (antlers) rather than taking the time to observe actual deatail of the animal itself. When I started out as a 17 yr old I thought I was pretty good but when I went to an event here in Nashville a few years later that had mounts on display only then did I realize how sorry my work was and really more or less embarassed. I used it as an incentive to do better and learn. For what it is worth your work is far better than mine was then....keep learning and enjoy the art.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
KevinTN, gthorne, bwoodard12, front hillside, DeerBomber
13540 Registered Users
Who's Online
198 registered (griz01, bvoiles83, BuckWild, Prowler, Bucky, TNtrapper, 18 invisible) and 292 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13540 Members
42 Forums
99241 Topics
1167249 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.