Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3121221 - 01/12/13 09:25 PM Re: What's the earliest you can start your garden? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't mean to poo poo, but there's no reason to get going early. You can start right now if you want (inside or in a green house). No matter how big the plants get and how early you start, your tomato plants will be slow growers until the soil gets in the 80s.

Many, many times, I have planted some tomatoes in June because I was waiting to use the garden space taken up by lettuce after it bolted. The ones I planted in June caught up very quickly to the tomatoes I planted in March because it takes a while for the soil to get warm to promote that growth spurt.

Tomatoes don't like that early weather and are much more prone to disease when you make them suffer through those cool March nights. Anyway, I now plant some in early May and some more in June when my greens die out.

I think it's best to stagger your veggies anyway, so you will have some ripening at different times. It's the perfect opportunity to experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and quit watering your maters so much. Make them reach deep into that soil to find moisture. it makes them much stronger and healthier.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3121411 - 01/13/13 01:15 AM Re: What's the earliest you can start your garden? [Re: Great White Stalker]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Great White Stalker
Now catman, that is how I like my info. Thanks man! What kind of tomatoes are you planting?
any variety of mostly open pollinated tomatoes depending on what I choose. I failed to save tomato seeds last year so I have to buy/trade for more this year. Top of my list varieties include brandywine (sudduth strain), sungold F1, black krim, opalka, red brandywine (landis valley strain), cherokee purple (or indian stripe, very similar), to name a few.

#3124606 - 01/15/13 09:05 AM Re: What's the earliest you can start your garden? [Re: catman529]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

content Online
Hard to go wrong with gil1 and catman's advice. I never plant things like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant before the middle of May, so I generally start seeds indoors in late March. Large seeded veggies like beans, cowpeas, and okra go in the ground in May after the soil warms up sufficiently also, or a lot of them rot in the ground or suffer damping off (the stems rot right after they come up). Cruciferous vegetables that like cooler weather such as cabbage and broccoli as well as green peas, lettuce, and radishes get planted in late March to the first week in April.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger, yankeeinthesouth, PEhunter
13293 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Redwing, KillenTime, TNGunsmoke, TNRazorback, BigD_625, Vermin93, 11 invisible) and 156 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13293 Members
42 Forums
85453 Topics
1032571 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.223 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.