Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3119667 - 01/11/13 07:24 PM Baiting in Minnesota.............
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

Participants in Minnesota’s firearm deer season will be greeted with new penalties for baiting violations when they go afield Nov. 3.

“It seems that every year our officers are spending more and more time responding to complaints about baiting or discovering it while on patrol,” said Lt. Col. Rodmen Smith, Minnesota DNR Enforcement Division assistant director. “We hope these new penalties curb what has become an all too common violation.”

Deer baiting is placing food near deer stands or clearings with the intent of luring a deer into close shooting range. It has been illegal to bait deer in Minnesota since 1991.

DNR conservation officers issued 144 citations, gave 24 warnings and seized 134 firearms/bows in baiting related investigations during the 2011 bow, firearms and muzzleloader seasons. It’s the highest number of baiting citations issued during the deer hunting seasons since the DNR began tracking these violations in 1991.

The Minnesota Legislature recognized the negative impact of baiting deer and recently passed legislation to increase the penalties for those convicted of baiting deer.

“It was apparent that a fine and forfeiture of a firearm or bow was not enough to curtail the activity,” said Smith. “In order to show the seriousness of the offense hunters will be subject to license revocation when convicted of baiting deer.”

The new penalties for baiting:

A person may not obtain any deer license or take deer under a lifetime license for one year after the person is convicted of hunting deer with the aid or use of bait. The DNR’s Electronic Licensing System (ELS) will also block a person’s ability to purchase a license. A second conviction within three years would result in a three-year revocation.

The revocation period doubles if the conviction is for a deer that is a trophy deer scoring higher than 170 inches.

The fine for illegal baiting is $300, plus $80 or so in court costs. Another $500 can be tagged on for restitution if a deer is seized. Guns may be confiscated as well.

Smith said he is hopeful the new penalties, in addition to fines, restitution and confiscation of guns sends a message that Minnesota values it natural resources and there is a price for engaging in this illegal activity.

#3119684 - 01/11/13 07:33 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: ChippewaPartners]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

i've got a real simple solution for them....make it legal.
#3119689 - 01/11/13 07:35 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: birddog]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

Originally Posted By: birddog

X2!

#3120247 - 01/12/13 08:48 AM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: birddog]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

content Online
Or,people could learn to hunt

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3120801 - 01/12/13 05:39 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: Football Hunter]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Ummmm...I'm thinking...Obama will tax corn and make it legal

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3120818 - 01/12/13 05:43 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: Coach]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

People are going to do it rather or not it's legal after hunting in ky i think you have a better chance of killing a big deer hunting regular then over bait.... but if you play the brown it's down game then yal will have a lot of success.

#3121037 - 01/12/13 07:51 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: deerhunter10]
strshooter;)
Button

Loc: tennessee

To each his own
#3122088 - 01/13/13 03:19 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: deerhunter10]
birddog
12 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
People are going to do it rather or not it's legal after hunting in ky i think you have a better chance of killing a big deer hunting regular then over bait.... but if you play the brown it's down game then yal will have a lot of success.

people that have never baited dont understand. they think put some corn on the ground and shoot away. i've ran a feeder on our lease in KY all year. ive been up there the past couple of weekends and the deer arent touching the corn. matter of fact the 5 years we've had the lease we have had very little success around our feeders. to be honset its realy a waste of time and money. Im not sure why I even bother with them anymore.

#3122098 - 01/13/13 03:24 PM Re: Baiting in Minnesota............. [Re: Football Hunter]
birddog
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Or,people could learn to hunt

that has nothing to do with the legality of it. I have a major problem with it being illegal becauce it gives anti's ammo agains us and there isnt much you can do about. my dad cant even hunt his own property because his neighbor dont like him hunting so he dumps corn out by the property line. dad only has 2 acers. the deer dont touch that corn and have no effect on why the deer are there. the deer were around long before the corn was. so explain to me how that is right. and yes the GW was called and what the neigbor is doing is not illegal and nothing could be done.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (robinhedd, SAR Swimmer, MUP, 280longshot, KyRick, bowdude, 11 invisible) and 151 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
93018 Topics
1086946 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.123 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.