Topic Options
#3120345 - 01/12/13 10:40 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Zac
Am I the only one who thinks shortening the gun season would help the deer population?

Yup, you're the only one!

Just out of curiosity, what "help" does the deer population need?
I think he is wanting to improve his chances of killing a deer by increasing the deer population!!

#3120371 - 01/12/13 11:00 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: bowhunter163]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

What I'm saying is that if they shorten the gun season it would put less pressure on the deer because more people go out and hunt during gun season than bow.
#3120374 - 01/12/13 11:01 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: redblood]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

For large tracts of land the season works, but when you get land that is cut into small tracts and everyone hunts or allows hunting that equals alot of pressure. We are not all as fortunate as BSK to have 500 acres for our family to hunt. If I did own 500 acres ,I wouldnt care what the small property owners thought because my place would be big enough to have some type of mgt. plan in place. I posted this a while back, if we are going to be a state with liberal season length and bag limits ,do it all the way and let us bow hunt after the gun season is over. If that is to liberal so is 6 weeks of gun hunting.
#3120379 - 01/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: jar]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

And most of the people where I hunt kill anything that walks by.
#3120392 - 01/12/13 11:16 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

What I'm saying is that if they shorten the gun season it would put less pressure on the deer because more people go out and hunt during gun season than bow.

Get rid of bow season. That would help more. Just make it deer season, and let the hunters decide what weapon they want to carry.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3120396 - 01/12/13 11:22 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

jar,

I wish it were that simple. But our problem is actually just the opposite of what most would assume. We put far, FAR more hunting pressure on our property than neighbors put on their properties. So for us, the benefit of having our own land isn't lower hunting pressure, it is figuring out ways to counter-act our high hunting pressure versus the neighbors lower hunting pressure. In addition, every deer that uses our property also travels onto neighboring properties, so we only have partial harvest control.

For us, the benefit of our own land is the ability to manipulate the habitat, and the ability to control where people are hunting (create sanctuaries).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3120483 - 01/12/13 12:31 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

the majority of tennessee deer hunters hunt opening weekend of gun and the thanksgiving holidays and go very little, if any, after that. tndeer is not a good sampling of statewide hunters as we are the more avid/dedicated hunters and are the minority. i love the long seasons and rarely see another hunter in the woods after thanksgiving.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3120515 - 01/12/13 01:11 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Some people can hunt the beginning , others the middle,some don't get a chance till the end. No idea of the #s but very few hunters can hunt all season long.You see a few guys on TnDeer that shoot a lot of deer mostly unit L does. Look on the TWRA page a lot of good info. Deer hunting just keeps getting better every season.
https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/TNHFInternetHarvest/app/mainHunterSuccessStatewide.do
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3120517 - 01/12/13 01:13 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/TNHFInternetHarvest/app/processHistoricalHarvestGraph.do
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3120521 - 01/12/13 01:28 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

Originally Posted By: BSK

Get rid of bow season. That would help more. Just make it deer season, and let the hunters decide what weapon they want to carry.

Judging by the inputs from several, I'm not sure letting hunters decide anything would be beneficial.

I say we keep it in the hands of our paid professionals. It seems to be working out for the better for the majority of hunters.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
125 registered (darn2ten, Nimrod777, Roost 1, Grandslam11, Allen Sullivan, jtmoniii, 21 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93354 Topics
1090068 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.126 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.