Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3119761 - 01/11/13 08:16 PM Deer Seasons
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

Am I the only one who thinks shortening the gun season would help the deer population?
#3119770 - 01/11/13 08:21 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Yeah,your probably it...

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3119774 - 01/11/13 08:22 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: cecil30-30]
rem270
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

here we go

going to pop some popcorn

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3119784 - 01/11/13 08:26 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: rem270]
thick woods
Spike

Loc: sw tn

Just stop poachers.
Thomas Jefferson

#3119785 - 01/11/13 08:26 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: cecil30-30]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

it may. I wouldnt mind seeing the season a little more like KYs. I really like the way they have it set up. archary from sept 1-Jan 21 gun season is a tad short but not too bad. I do hate their 1 buck limit though.
#3119802 - 01/11/13 08:35 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: birddog]
Zac
Button

I agree with 'thick woods'. On our farm we have some really good deer but somebody drives through at night and scares them. Every year!
#3119817 - 01/11/13 08:42 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Why do you think the deer population needs help ??Hunter sucess seems to be improving every year. Unit L counties need more deer harvested. Habitat is decreasing every year.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3119825 - 01/11/13 08:45 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Help it in what way?

#3119826 - 01/11/13 08:45 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

And bucks need to have 4 on 1 side or 15 inch spread.
#3119882 - 01/11/13 09:16 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: mathews338]
bowhunter163
8 Point

Loc: knoxville,tn

Here we go .
865-922-5456

#3119923 - 01/11/13 09:46 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: mathews338]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: mathews338
yeah right since killing all the good young deer works out so well, so you want to see old mature 6 points that you cant shoot, its fine the way it is

#3119955 - 01/11/13 10:29 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: knightrider]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

content Online
3 on one side would be good. Or at least one of the 3 should be 3 points on one side.

Μολων λαβε

#3120111 - 01/12/13 06:41 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: in the dog house!]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Leave it alone. Long seasons don't mean that deer are "hammered" all season log, but it does man that people with busy family and works schedules can hunt more than just a couple of weekends. If you want season shortned, do it on the front end and shorten bow season when many deer are educated by the "trickle" before the majority of hunters get a chance at them. Also, if people feel rushed by a shortened season, then they are less apt to be selective in what they shoot, which seems to be geting MUCH better the past few years.
#3120146 - 01/12/13 07:35 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: EastTNHunter]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Just quit hunting when you decide your armchair bs in deer management tells you to

#3120155 - 01/12/13 07:39 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: ImThere]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

the season is fine like it is. if twra thought it should be different they would change it they are doing a good job. quit complaining we have it a lot better then most states.

#3120218 - 01/12/13 08:25 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: EastTNHunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
Leave it alone. Long seasons don't mean that deer are "hammered" all season log, but it does man that people with busy family and works schedules can hunt more than just a couple of weekends. If you want season shortned, do it on the front end and shorten bow season when many deer are educated by the "trickle" before the majority of hunters get a chance at them. Also, if people feel rushed by a shortened season, then they are less apt to be selective in what they shoot, which seems to be geting MUCH better the past few years.
Mostly agree with what you say here except,everyone has a "chance" to bow hunt,some choose not to.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3120232 - 01/12/13 08:36 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: mathews338]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I would be fine with this restriction as long as there was an exception for deer with really tasty tenderloins.

So if the rule was 4 on one side, 15 inch spread, or tasty tenderloins, I'd vote for that.

#3120234 - 01/12/13 08:37 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Zac
Am I the only one who thinks shortening the gun season would help the deer population?

Yup, you're the only one!

Just out of curiosity, what "help" does the deer population need?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3120239 - 01/12/13 08:41 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Football Hunter]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Mostly agree with what you say here except,everyone has a "chance" to bow hunt,some choose not to.

With this logic small game hunting shouldn't be allowed where we deer hunt then? I would think deer get educated every time any hunter is in the woods regardless of his quarry?

#3120304 - 01/12/13 09:55 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: ImThere]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i think everything is working right now, but i wish the season was like oct 1 to jan 1

#3120345 - 01/12/13 10:40 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK

Yup, you're the only one!

Just out of curiosity, what "help" does the deer population need?
I think he is wanting to improve his chances of killing a deer by increasing the deer population!!

#3120371 - 01/12/13 11:00 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: bowhunter163]
Zac
Button

What I'm saying is that if they shorten the gun season it would put less pressure on the deer because more people go out and hunt during gun season than bow.
#3120374 - 01/12/13 11:01 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: redblood]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

For large tracts of land the season works, but when you get land that is cut into small tracts and everyone hunts or allows hunting that equals alot of pressure. We are not all as fortunate as BSK to have 500 acres for our family to hunt. If I did own 500 acres ,I wouldnt care what the small property owners thought because my place would be big enough to have some type of mgt. plan in place. I posted this a while back, if we are going to be a state with liberal season length and bag limits ,do it all the way and let us bow hunt after the gun season is over. If that is to liberal so is 6 weeks of gun hunting.
#3120379 - 01/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: jar]
Zac
Button

And most of the people where I hunt kill anything that walks by.
#3120392 - 01/12/13 11:16 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
BSK
Non-Typical

What I'm saying is that if they shorten the gun season it would put less pressure on the deer because more people go out and hunt during gun season than bow.

Get rid of bow season. That would help more. Just make it deer season, and let the hunters decide what weapon they want to carry.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3120396 - 01/12/13 11:22 AM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

jar,

I wish it were that simple. But our problem is actually just the opposite of what most would assume. We put far, FAR more hunting pressure on our property than neighbors put on their properties. So for us, the benefit of having our own land isn't lower hunting pressure, it is figuring out ways to counter-act our high hunting pressure versus the neighbors lower hunting pressure. In addition, every deer that uses our property also travels onto neighboring properties, so we only have partial harvest control.

For us, the benefit of our own land is the ability to manipulate the habitat, and the ability to control where people are hunting (create sanctuaries).

#3120483 - 01/12/13 12:31 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

the majority of tennessee deer hunters hunt opening weekend of gun and the thanksgiving holidays and go very little, if any, after that. tndeer is not a good sampling of statewide hunters as we are the more avid/dedicated hunters and are the minority. i love the long seasons and rarely see another hunter in the woods after thanksgiving.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3120515 - 01/12/13 01:11 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Zac]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Some people can hunt the beginning , others the middle,some don't get a chance till the end. No idea of the #s but very few hunters can hunt all season long.You see a few guys on TnDeer that shoot a lot of deer mostly unit L does. Look on the TWRA page a lot of good info. Deer hunting just keeps getting better every season.
https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/TNHFInternetHarvest/app/mainHunterSuccessStatewide.do

#3120517 - 01/12/13 01:13 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/TNHFInternetHarvest/app/processHistoricalHarvestGraph.do

#3120521 - 01/12/13 01:28 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: BSK]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

Get rid of bow season. That would help more. Just make it deer season, and let the hunters decide what weapon they want to carry.

Judging by the inputs from several, I'm not sure letting hunters decide anything would be beneficial.

I say we keep it in the hands of our paid professionals. It seems to be working out for the better for the majority of hunters.

#3120575 - 01/12/13 02:43 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: whistlinwingman]
Bow Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro Tn.

Originally Posted By: whistlinwingman

Judging by the inputs from several, I'm not sure letting hunters decide anything would be beneficial.

I say we keep it in the hands of our paid professionals. It seems to be working out for the better for the majority of hunters.

Amen that sounds like the best plan so far.

#3120586 - 01/12/13 03:03 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: Bow Hunter]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

If you think a long gun season would lead to more deer, then if thats the case, South Carolina should have no deer at all.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3120643 - 01/12/13 04:04 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: rukiddin?]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I'm satisfied with the seasons just as they are. There may be more deer walk with shorter seasons but for the most part once the peak of the rut is past buck kills drop pretty dramatically. There aren't 1/4 the hunters in the woods after that as before and those hunters aren't taking that many bucks.

As mentioned, there are hunters that would like to go hunting in December but work and the holidays prohibit many of those possibilities. With the longer season extending through the first weekend of January those guys get that opportunity.

As far as large parcels of land are involved I hunt on 18,600 acres of private land. Much of it is unhuntable because of the terrain features involved. However buck sightings are low into December and those deer seem to be just as pressured as if we were hunting 30-500 acres.

#3120825 - 01/12/13 05:46 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: knightrider]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: knightrider
yeah right since killing all the good young deer works out so well, so you want to see old mature 6 points that you cant shoot, its fine the way it is
i was just messing around when I said that, but that is the regs I put on myself anyways so if that ever did happen it wouldn't effect me.

#3120835 - 01/12/13 05:55 PM Re: Deer Seasons [Re: ImThere]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: ImThere
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

With this logic small game hunting shouldn't be allowed where we deer hunt then? I would think deer get educated every time any hunter is in the woods regardless of his quarry?

I was just using a bit of sarcastic hyperbole, as I bow hunt. I just get tired of hearing the "bow only" or "trophy only" or "less gun hunting" whining all of the time. I do not disagree with either of your logic, eithe. Although I did see a marked improvement in my deer sightings during rifle and ml this season when we cut back on early bowhunting on the small properties that we hunt.

Edited by EastTNHunter (01/12/13 05:57 PM)

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (medic, landman, papaw, Deerhunter, devo1980, Tony USMC, 2 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85287 Topics
1030807 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.232 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.