Tndeer Logo

Page all of 30 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3118911 - 01/11/13 08:43 AM Patriot Quote for the Day
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." --George Mason, Speech at the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3155783 - 02/08/13 05:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I regret, as much as any member, the unavoidable weight and duration of the burdens to be imposed; having never been a proselyte to the doctrine, that public debts are public benefits. I consider them, on the contrary, as evils which ought to be removed as fast as honor and justice will permit."
--James Madison, Debates in the House of Representatives on the First Report on Public Credit, 1790

#3159399 - 02/11/13 06:44 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

If men through fear, fraud or mistake, should in terms renounce and give up any essential natural right, the eternal law of reason and the great end of society, would absolutely vacate such renunciation; the right to freedom being the gift of God Almighty, it is not in the power of Man to alienate this gift, and voluntarily become a slave. --Samuel Adams

#3159606 - 02/11/13 10:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

Loc: Bells

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."--Richard Henry Lee

Life Member NRA, TFA, Tennesseans for Liberty

#3160589 - 02/12/13 05:07 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution."
--Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia Query 19, 1781

#3162310 - 02/13/13 10:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let us consider, brethren, we are struggling for our best birthrights and inheritance, which being infringed, renders all our blessings precarious in their enjoyments, and, consequently triffling in their value. Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves on the ruin of this Country. Let us convince every invader of our freedom, that we will be as free as the constitution our fathers recognized, will justify."
--Samuel Adams, A State of the Rights of the Colonists, 1772

#3163393 - 02/14/13 05:12 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Liberty is a word which, according as it is used, comprehends the most good and the most evil of any in the world. Justly understood it is sacred next to those which we appropriate in divine adoration; but in the mouths of some it means anything, which enervate a necessary government; excite a jealousy of the rulers who are our own choice, and keep society in confusion for want of a power sufficiently concentered to promote good."
--Oliver Ellsworth, A Landholder, No. III, 1787

#3164591 - 02/15/13 05:07 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to The Republican Citizens of Washington County, Maryland, 1809

#3168159 - 02/18/13 05:32 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If, from the more wretched parts of the old world, we look at those which are in an advanced stage of improvement, we still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised, to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without tribute."
--Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

#3170408 - 02/20/13 05:13 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The true liberty of the press is amply secured by permitting every man to publish his opinion; but it is due to the peace and dignity of society, to inquire into the motives of such publications, and to distinguish between those which are meant for use and reformation, and with an eye solely to the public good, and those which are intended merely to delude and defame. To the latter description, it is impossible that any good government should afford protection and impunity."
--Thomas McKean, Respublica v. Oswald, 1788

#3170654 - 02/20/13 10:45 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." --Thomas Jefferson

#3171807 - 02/21/13 10:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did; and no day was every more clouded than the present! Wisdom, and good examples are necessary at this time to rescue the political machine from the impending storm." --George Washington (1786)

#3172708 - 02/22/13 05:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In a despotic government, the only principle by which the tyrant who is to move the whole machine means to regulate and manage the people is fear, by the servile dread of his power. But a free government, which of all others is far the most preferable, cannot be supported without virtue."
--Samuel Williams, A Discourse on the Love of our Country, 1774

#3173208 - 02/22/13 03:19 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
varminthunter123
6 Point

Loc: Somerville, TN

Very interesting point of view I found on the web.

Very interesting... If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?

This man has put down on paper what many people are thinking but are too cautious to express openly. I hope it never comes to what he is advocating but I can certainly see where the possibility exists. God help us all if it ever does happen.

PS: Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the author:
Dean Garrison (born 1955) is a contemporary American author and crime fiction novelist. He was born in Michigan, grew up in the Indiana, Illinois, and Texas, and received his B.A. degree from Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan. Garrison is a Crime Scene Technician in West Michigan. His research in the fields of crime scene investigation and Shooting Reconstruction are widely published in forensic journals under the name "D.H. Garrison, Jr."

Subject: If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?
Posted on January 3, 2013 by Dean Garrison
I feel a tremendous responsibility to write this article though I am a little apprehensive. Thinking about the possibility of rising up against our own government is a frightening thing for many of us. I am not Johnny Rambo & I will be the first to admit that I do not want to die. The reason I feel compelled to write this, however, is simply because I don’t think the average American is equipped with the facts. I feel that a lot of American citizens feel like they have no choice but to surrender their guns if the government comes for them. I blame traditional media sources for this mass brainwash & I carry the responsibility of all small independent bloggers to tell the truth. So my focus today is to lay out your constitutional rights as an American, & let you decide what to do with those rights.
About a month ago I let the “democracy” word slip in a discussion with a fellow blogger. I know better. Americans have been conditioned to use this term. It’s not an accurate term and it never has been a correct term to describe our form of government. The truth is that the United States of America is a constitutional republic. This is similar to a democracy because our representatives are selected by democratic elections, but ultimately our representatives are required to work within the framework of our constitution. In other words, even if 90% of Americans want something that goes against our founding principles, they have no right to call for a violation of constitutional rights.
If you are religious you might choose to think of it this way. Say that members of your congregation decide that mass fornication is a good thing. Do they have the right to change the teachings of your God? The truth is the truth. It doesn’t matter how many people try to stray from it. Did I just compare our founders to God? In a way I did, but please note that I am not trying to insult anyone. For the purpose of the American Government our constitution and founders who wrote it are much like God is to believers. It is the law. It is indisputable.
Our founders did not want a “democracy” for they feared a true democracy was just as dangerous as a monarchy. The founders were highly educated people who were experienced in defending themselves against tyranny. They understood that the constitution could protect the people by limiting the power of anyone to work outside of it much better than a pure system of popularity. A system of checks and balances was set up to help limit corruption of government and also the potential for an “immoral majority” developing within the American People. We have forgotten in this country that we are ultimately ruled by a constitution.
Why is a democracy potentially just as dangerous as a monarchy? Let’s look at something that Benjamin Franklin said because it answers that question more fully and succinctly than I can.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
Even 230+ years ago our founders were perceptive enough to realize that democracy was a dangerous form of government. How so? Because the citizens of a country can become just as corrupt as any government. We have seen evidence of this throughout history. Ask Native Americans & African-Americans if this population can become corrupt.
I think in 2012 we are seeing evidence of what Franklin was trying to tell us. Just because a majority of people may support certain ideas it does not mean that those ideas are just. In simple terms, just because most Americans love our president & voted for him, it does not mean that he has the power to go against our constitutional rights.
Next I’d like to review the text of the second amendment. It is very clear. This is the law of this land. So when Senator Feinstein or President Obama talk about taking your guns, you need to think about something. Are they honoring their sworn oath to uphold the constitution?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State , the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. This is a pretty clear statement. The fact is that it took 232 years for the Supreme Court to even rule on this amendment because it has never been successfully challenged. In 2008 a case of Columbia v. Heller the Supreme Court ruled that a handgun ban in Washington D.C. was unconstitutional. One also has to take this into consideration. The Supreme Court supports your right to own guns. If you want to research this decision further you can start here.

For those who try to debate the spirit of the 2nd amendment, they are truly no different from people who will try to take Biblical quotes out of context to try to support their immoral decisions. The founders were very clear on the intent of the 2nd amendment. Let me share a few quick quotes here:
The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth & keystone under independence. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, & tendencies prove that to insure peace, security & happiness, the rifle & pistol are equally indispensable, the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington
The Constitution shall never be construed….to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -Samuel Adams
I could find hundreds of quotes like these. This country was built on the right to bear arms. It was built on the rights of an individual to bear arms, regardless of what his government or neighbor happened to think. This is crystal clear. Ironically the people who voice their opinions against this right have their free speech protected by your guns. Without guns in this country, all other amendments become null and void, simply because “We the People” will lose our power of enforcement.

We need to keep this in mind as our “representatives” try to push gun bans. I don’t care if 99% of people are in support of gun bans (which is far from the case), it is a violation of our constitutional rights, plain and simple.
A constitutional republic protects the rights of the individual even when their ideas are very much in the minority. If I were the only person in America who believed in the 2nd amendment, I would still be within my rights to call upon it. You would all think I was insane and possibly celebrate if I was gunned down, but in the end I would be the only true American among us.
Our framers were very clear on this. If my government comes to take my guns, they are violating one of my constitutional rights that is covered by the 2nd amendment.
It is not my right, at that point, but my responsibility to respond in the name of liberty. What I am telling you is something that many are trying to soft sell, & many others have tried to avoid putting into print, but I am going to say it. The time for speaking in code is over.
If they come for our guns then it is our constitutional right to put them six feet under. You have the right to kill any representative of this government who tries to tread on your liberty. I am thinking about self-defense & not talking about inciting a revolution. Re-read Jefferson’s quote. He talks about a “last resort.” I am not trying to start a Revolt, I am talking about self-defense. If the day for Revolution comes, when no peaceful options exist, we may have to talk about that as well. None of us wants to think about that, but please understand that a majority cannot take away your rights as an American citizen. Only you can choose to give up your rights.
Congress could pass gun ban legislation by a 90%+ margin & it just would not matter. I think some people are very unclear on this. This is the reason we have a Supreme Court, & though I do not doubt that the Supreme Court can also become corrupt, in 2008 they got it right. They supported the constitution. It does not matter what the majority supports because America is not a democracy. A constitutional republic protects the rights of every single citizen, no matter what their “elected servants” say. A majority in America only matters when the constitution is not in play.
I just wrote what every believer in the constitution wants to say, & what every constitutional blogger needs to write. The truth of the matter is that this type of speech is viewed as dangerous & radical or subversive, & it could gain me a world of trouble that I do not want. It is also the truth. To make myself clear I will tell you again. If they come for your guns it is your right to use those guns against them & to kill them. You are protected by our constitution.
Most of the articles I am reading on the subject are trying to give you clues without just coming out & saying it. I understand that because certain things in this country will get you on a list that you don’t want to be on. I may well be on that list. This blog is small & growing so I may not be there yet, but I have dreams. I also have my own list of subversives & anyone who attempts to deny my constitutional rights is on that list.
I am not the “subversive” here, it is the political representatives who are threatening to take away my inalienable rights. If they come to take my guns & I leave a few of them wounded or dead, & I somehow survive, I have zero doubt that I will spend a long time in prison & may face an execution. But I would much rather be a political prisoner than a slave.
If I go down fighting then I was not fighting to harm these human beings. I was simply defending my liberty & yours. It is self-defense & it is what our country was built on. We won our freedom in self-defense. We would not be ruled by a tyrannical government in the 1770′s & we will not be ruled in 2012 by a tyrannical government. There is no difference.
This is a case of right & wrong. As of now the 2nd amendment stands. It has never been repealed. If Feinstein or Barack have a problem with the constitution then they should be removed from office. They are not defending the constitution which they have sworn an oath to protect. It is treasonous to say the least. They would likely say the same about me, but I have the constitution, the founders, & the supreme court on my side. They only have their inflated egos.
I am not writing this to incite people. I am writing this in hopes that somehow I can make a tiny difference. I have no idea how many of my neighbors have the will to defend their constitutional rights. 2%? 20%? I am afraid that 20% is a high number, unfortunately. When push comes to shove many people may give up & submit to being ruled. I believe that our government is banking on this.
What I do know is that this country was founded by people who had balls the size of Texas & Patriotic Americans take [beeep] off of no one, especially our own government. For evidence of that, you might research the Revolutionary War. My question is how many Patriots are left?
I would hope that our officials come to realize that, regardless of our numbers, we still exist because they are calling Patriotic Americans to action. They are making us decide if we want to die free or submit to their rule. I cannot tell you where you should stand on that. I do know that it may make the difference between living a life of freedom or slavery.
You must start thinking about this because I believe that the day is coming soon & I personally believe it has already been planned. Not all conspiracy theories are hogwash. They may throw down the gauntlet soon & my suggestion is that you prepare yourself to react.
I mean no disrespect to our elected officials but they need to understand that “We the People” will not be disarmed. If they proceed then it is they that are provoking us & we will act accordingly. We are within our rights to do so.
For those who are in support of taking the guns, you need to ask yourself a very important question, and I am not just talking about the politicians, because if you support them, you have chosen your side. Are you willing to die to take my guns?
---------------------------------
Through regulations, taxation, inflation of the money supply, trade restrictions, and tethers on private associations, government itself is nothing but a massive drain on prosperity. The situation has become deeply dangerous for the future of freedom in America, with young people unable to find jobs, opportunities being destroyed in sector after sector, banks and corporations living on the dole, and so many regulations that we are living under something nearly as egregious as Soviet-style central planning.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." ~Henry Ford

#3175319 - 02/25/13 07:12 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: varminthunter123]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[A] rigid economy of the public contributions and absolute interdiction of all useless expenses will go far towards keeping the government honest and unoppressive."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Marquis de Lafayette, 1823

#3175677 - 02/25/13 12:37 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

"The several states composing the United States of America are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their general government; but by a compact under the style and title of a Constitution for the United States, and of amendments thereto, they constituted a general government for special purposes [and] delegated to that government certain definite powers and whensoever the general government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." -

Thomas Jefferson

#3176361 - 02/25/13 10:40 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: worriedman]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

content Online
Favorite "Patriot" quote of all time: Aim small miss small!

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first – then everything else."

#3177600 - 02/27/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: TNhunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Men must be ready, they must pride themselves and be happy to sacrifice their private pleasures, passions and interests, nay, their private friendships and dearest connections, when they stand in competition with the rights of society."
--John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, 1776

#3178766 - 02/28/13 05:06 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The opinion has been very general, that, in order to obtain the blessings of a good government, a sacrifice must be made of a part of our natural liberty. I am much inclined to believe, that, upon examination, this opinion will prove to be fallacious."
--James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1790

#3179911 - 03/01/13 05:09 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There is a rank due to the United States, among nations, which will be withheld, if not absolutely lost, by the reputation of weakness. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war."
--George Washington, Fifth Annual Message, 1793

#3181798 - 03/03/13 12:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

content Online
Another one from the movie..... "Before this war is over, I'm going to kill you."

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first – then everything else."

#3181924 - 03/03/13 08:36 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
DSL_Connector
Spike

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Thomas Jefferson "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

---

Entire quote from Jefferson about tree of liberty:

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

#3182718 - 03/04/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"
--Samuel Adams, 1776

#3183751 - 03/05/13 05:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the president alone was vested with the power of appointing all officers, and was left to select a council for himself, he would be liable to be deceived by flatterers and pretenders to patriotism."
--Roger Sherman, 1789

#3186031 - 03/07/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"But while property is considered as the basis of the freedom of the American yeomanry, there are other auxiliary supports; among which is the information of the people. In no country, is education so general -- in no country, have the body of the people such a knowledge of the rights of men and the principles of government. This knowledge, joined with a keen sense of liberty and a watchful jealousy, will guard our constitutions and awaken the people to an instantaneous resistance of encroachments."
--Noah Webster, On Education of Youth in America, 1790

#3186094 - 03/07/13 07:16 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

"The only man who makes no mistake is the man who does nothing."

Theodore Roosevelt

#3189415 - 03/11/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In the first place, it is to be remembered, that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws. Its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects, which concern all the members of the republic, but which are not to be attained by the separate provisions of any."
--James Madison, Federalist Paper XIV, 1787

#3191314 - 03/13/13 05:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positives forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state."
--Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, 1787

#3191315 - 03/13/13 05:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A Constitution is not the act of a Government, but of a people constituting a government, and a government without a constitution is a power without right."

#3192341 - 03/14/13 05:07 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Hence as a private man has a right to say what wages he will give in his private affairs, so has a Community to determine what they will give and grant of their substance for the Administration of public affairs."
--Samuel Adams, A State of the Rights of the Colonists, 1772

#3193133 - 03/15/13 05:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In observations on this subject, we hear the legislature mentioned as the people's representatives. The distinction, intimated by concealed implication, through probably, not avowed upon reflection, is, that the executive and judicial powers are not connected with the people by a relation so strong or near or dear. But is high time that we should chastise our prejudices; and that we should look upon the different parts of government with a just and impartial eye."
--James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1791

#3195748 - 03/18/13 05:23 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A little matter will move a party, but it must be something great that moves a nation."

#3196824 - 03/19/13 05:06 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Is the power who is jealous of our prosperity, a proper power to govern us? Whoever says No, to this question, is an Independant for independency means no more than this, whether we shall make our own laws, or, whether the King, the greatest enemy this continent hath, or can have, shall tell us there shall be no laws but such as I like."
--Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

#3198038 - 03/20/13 06:46 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A feeble executive implies a feeble execution of the government. A feeble execution is but another phrase for a bad execution; and a government ill executed, whatever may be its theory, must, in practice, be a bad government."
--Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3198938 - 03/21/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for; but one in which the powers of government should be so divided and balanced among the several bodies of magistracy as that no one could transcend their legal limits without being effectually checked and restrained by the others."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 58, 1788

#3200245 - 03/22/13 05:21 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The bordering states if any ... will be most likely by direct violence, to excite war with other nations; and nothing can so effectually obviate that danger, as a national government, whose wisdom and prudence will not be diminished by the passions which actuate the parties immediately interested."
--John Jay, Federalist No. 3, 1787

#3203014 - 03/25/13 05:07 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Legislators invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, 1785

#3205159 - 03/27/13 05:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments in one, and thus to create whatever the form of government, a real despotism. A just estimate of that love of power, and proneness to abuse it, which predominates in the human heart is sufficient to satisfy us of the truth of this position."
--George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

#3206128 - 03/28/13 06:27 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"How prone all human institutions have been to decay; how subject the best-formed and most wisely organized governments have been to lose their check and totally dissolve; how difficult it has been for mankind, in all ages and countries, to preserve their dearest rights and best privileges, impelled as it were by an irresistible fate of despotism."
--James Monroe, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3210069 - 03/31/13 11:16 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
hunter0925
8 Point

Loc: TN, Rhea,

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men.”
Samuel Adams

#3210071 - 03/31/13 11:17 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

“The patriot’s blood is the seed of Freedom’s tree.”
Thomas Campbell

#3210074 - 03/31/13 11:21 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
Benjamin Franklin

#3210075 - 03/31/13 11:21 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

“They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.”
Benjamin Franklin

#3210078 - 03/31/13 11:27 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
Abraham Lincoln

#3210081 - 03/31/13 11:35 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

“Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves."
Unkown

#3210082 - 03/31/13 11:43 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

#3210083 - 03/31/13 11:44 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind.
Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Hunter

#3210084 - 03/31/13 11:46 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?
Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, Query 12, 1782

#3210086 - 03/31/13 11:51 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
Benjamin Franklin, (attributed) at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

#3210087 - 03/31/13 11:53 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
hunter0925
8 Point

The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy.
Benjamin Franklin, Emblematical Representations, 1774

#3211068 - 04/02/13 05:11 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If our country, when pressed with wrongs at the point of the bayonet, had been governed by its heads instead of its hearts, where should we have been now? Hanging on a gallows as high as Haman's."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Maria Cosway, 1786

#3212003 - 04/03/13 05:10 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men."
--John Adams, Novanglus No. 7, 1775

#3213064 - 04/04/13 05:30 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The steady character of our countrymen is a rock to which we may safely moor; and notwithstanding the efforts of the papers to disseminate early discontents, I expect that a just, dispassionate and steady conduct, will at length rally to a proper system the great body of our country. Unequivocal in principle, reasonable in manner, we shall be able I hope to do a great deal of good to the cause of freedom & harmony."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1801

#3214065 - 04/05/13 05:07 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"When right, I shall often be thought wrong by those whose positions will not command a view of the whole ground."
--Thomas Jefferson, Second Inaugural Address, 1805

#3217276 - 04/09/13 04:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The constitution of the United States is to receive a reasonable interpretation of its language, and its powers, keeping in view the objects and purposes, for which those powers were conferred. By a reasonable interpretation, we mean, that in case the words are susceptible of two different senses, the one strict, the other more enlarged, that should be adopted, which is most consonant with the apparent objects and intent of the Constitution."

#3217282 - 04/09/13 05:10 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The instrument by which it [government] must act are either the AUTHORITY of the laws or FORCE. If the first be destroyed, the last must be substituted; and where this becomes the ordinary instrument of government there is an end to liberty!"
--Alexander Hamilton, Tully, No. 3, 1794

#3218126 - 04/09/13 09:51 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
1shot1kill
4 Point

Loc: unicoi county tn us

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

#3218214 - 04/10/13 05:05 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

This remind anyone of the U.N. ?

"My ardent desire is, and my aim has been ... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other Country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home."
--George Washington, letter to Patrick Henry, 1775

#3218445 - 04/10/13 10:32 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"National defense is one of the cardinal duties of a statesman." --John Adams

#3219082 - 04/11/13 05:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to be sought for in metaphysical subtleties which may make anything mean everything or nothing at pleasure."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823

#3220047 - 04/12/13 05:03 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There is no maxim in my opinion which is more liable to be misapplied, and which therefore needs elucidation than the current one that the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong.... In fact it is only reestablishing under another name and a more specious form, force as the measure of right."
--James Madison, letter to James Monroe, 1786

#3222197 - 04/15/13 05:03 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Our own Country's Honor, all call upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world. Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny mediated against them. Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth."
--George Washington, General Orders, 1776

#3223095 - 04/16/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"History affords us many instances of the ruin of states, by the prosecution of measures ill suited to the temper and genius of their people. The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy... These measures never fail to create great and violent jealousies and animosities between the people favored and the people oppressed; whence a total separation of affections, interests, political obligations, and all manner of connections, by which the whole state is weakened."
--Benjamin Franklin, Emblematical Representations

#3224222 - 04/17/13 08:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty... Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
--Elbridge Gerry, 1789

#3225099 - 04/18/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Happily for mankind, liberty is not, in this respect, confined to any single point of time, but lies within extremes, which afford sufficient latitude for all the variations which may be required by the various situations and circumstances of civil society."
--James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 53, 1788

#3226151 - 04/19/13 05:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Every man who loves peace, every man who loves his country, every man who loves liberty ought to have it ever before his eyes that he may cherish in his heart a due attachment to the Union of America and be able to set a due value on the means of preserving it."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 41., 1788

#3228296 - 04/22/13 05:42 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We are firmly convinced, and we act on that conviction, that with nations as with individuals our interests soundly calculated will ever be found inseparable from our moral duties, and history bears witness to the fact that a just nation is trusted on its word when recourse is had to armaments and wars to bridle others."
--Thomas Jefferson, Second Inaugural Address, 1805

#3229179 - 04/23/13 07:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen; and we shall most sincerely rejoice with you in the happy hour when the establishment of American Liberty, upon the most firm and solid foundations shall enable us to return to our Private Stations in the bosom of a free, peacefully and happy Country."
--George Washington, address to the New York Legislature, 1775

#3230004 - 04/24/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others."
--Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 34, 1788

#3231057 - 04/25/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is the madness of folly, to expect mercy from those who have refused to do justice; and even mercy, where conquest is the object, is only a trick of war; the cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf."
--Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, 1776

#3232005 - 04/26/13 05:15 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Every child in America should be acquainted with his own country. He should read books that furnish him with ideas that will be useful to him in life and practice. As soon as he opens his lips, he should rehearse the history of his own country; he should lisp the praise of liberty, and of those illustrious heroes and statesmen, who have wrought a revolution in her favor."
--Noah Webster, On the Education of Youth in America, 1788

#3232118 - 04/26/13 08:26 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

Tennessee Constitution

Article 11 § 16. Bill of rights declared inviolate

The declaration of rights hereto prefixed is declared to be a part of the Constitution of this State, and shall never be violated on any pretence whatever. And to guard against transgression of the high powers we have delegated, we declare that everything in the bill of rights contained, is excepted out of the general powers of government, and shall forever remain inviolate.

#3236031 - 05/01/13 05:15 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: worriedman]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Those gentlemen, who will be elected senators, will fix themselves in the federal town, and become citizens of that town more than of your state."
--George Mason, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3236847 - 05/02/13 05:10 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristicks of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation."
--George Washington, circular letter of farewell to the Army, 1783

#3237082 - 05/02/13 11:26 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian." --George Washington (1778)

#3237686 - 05/03/13 05:28 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[America's] glory is not dominion, but liberty. Her march is the march of the mind. She has a spear and a shield: but the motto upon her shield is Freedom, Independence, Peace. This has been her declaration: this has been, as far as her necessary intercourse with the rest of mankind would permit, her practice."
--John Adams, Speech on Independence Day to the House of Representatives, 1821

#3240067 - 05/06/13 05:17 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors; and capacity, if wisely improved, and faithfully guarded, of transmitting to their latest posterity all the substantial blessings of life, the peaceful enjoyment of liberty, property, religion, and independence."

#3240927 - 05/07/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

If this doesn't represent the sad state of our govt, I don't know what does.

"It is of great importance to set a resolution, not to be shaken, never to tell an untruth. There is no vice so mean, so pitiful, so contemptible; and he who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and a third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of the tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good disposition."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785

#3241811 - 05/08/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and as they would be the sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please. ... Certainly no such universal power was meant to be given them. It [the Constitution] was intended to lace them up straightly within the enumerated powers and those without which, as means, these powers could not be carried into effect."
--Thomas Jefferson, Opinion on a National Bank, 1791

#3242587 - 05/09/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Illustrious examples are displayed to our view, that we may imitate as well as admire. Before we can be distinguished by the same honors, we must be distinguished by the same virtues. What are those virtues? They are chiefly the same virtues, which we have already seen to be descriptive of the American character -- the love of liberty, and the love of law. But law and liberty cannot rationally become the objects of our love, unless they first become the objects of our knowledge."
--James Wilson, Of the Study of the Law in the United States

#3243283 - 05/10/13 02:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
hunter0925
8 Point

[P]atriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

Edited by hunter0925 (05/10/13 04:35 AM)

#3243300 - 05/10/13 05:17 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: hunter0925]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Happily for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society. They reared the fabrics of governments which have no model on the face of the globe."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 14, 1787

#3243301 - 05/10/13 05:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The time to guard against corruption and tyranny, is before they shall have gotten hold on us. It is better to keep the wolf out of the fold, than to trust to drawing his teeth and talons after he shall have entered." --Thomas Jefferson (1781)

#3245193 - 05/13/13 05:28 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."

#3245910 - 05/14/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The germ of dissolution of our federal government is in the constitution of the federal judiciary; an irresponsible body, (for impeachment is scarcely a scare-crow) working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noiseless step like a thief, over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall be usurped from the States, and the government of all be consolidated into one."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Charles Hammond, 1821

#3246810 - 05/15/13 04:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"No longer could we reflect, with generous pride, on the heroic actions of our American forefathers ... if we, but for a moment entertain the thought of giving up our liberty."
--Joseph Warren, Boston Massacre Oration, 1775

#3247672 - 05/16/13 05:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."
--George Washington, letter to Edmund Randolph, 1795

#3248460 - 05/17/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
--Thomas Paine, American Crisis, No. 1, 1776

#3250774 - 05/20/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate -- look to his character."
--Noah Webster, Letters to a Young Gentleman Commencing His Education, 1789

#3251636 - 05/21/13 05:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[I]f the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them."
--Candidus, in the Boston Gazette, 1772

#3252444 - 05/22/13 05:11 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The propriety of a law, in a constitutional light, must always be deteremined by the nature of the powers upon which it is founded."
--Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 33, 1788

#3253959 - 05/24/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"No experiment can be more interesting than that we are now trying, and which we trust will end in establishing the fact, that man may be governed by reason and truth. Our first object should therefore be, to leave open to him all the avenues to truth. The most effectual hitherto found, is the freedom of the press. It is, therefore, the first shut up by those who fear the investigation of their actions."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Tyler, 1804

#3256846 - 05/29/13 05:06 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
--Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798

#3257681 - 05/30/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The almost general mediocrity of fortune that prevails in America obliging its people to follow some business for subsistence, those vices, that arise usually from idleness, are in a great measure prevented. Industry and constant employment are great preservatives of the morals and virtue of a nation. Hence bad examples to youth are more rare in America, which must be a comfortable consideration to parents. To this may be truly added, that serious religion, under its various denominations, is not only tolerated, but respected and practiced."
--Benjamin Franklin, Information to Those Who Would Remove to America, 1782

#3260254 - 06/03/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The pyramid of government -- and a republican government may well receive that beautiful and solid form -- should be raised to a dignified altitude: but its foundations must, of consequence, be broad, and strong, and deep. The authority, the interests, and the affections of the people at large are the only foundation, on which a superstructure proposed to be at once durable and magnificent, can be rationally erected."
--James Wilson, Legislative Department, 1804

#3260256 - 06/03/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"No country can be called free which is governed by an absolute power; and it matters not whether it be an absolute royal power or an absolute legislative power, as the consequences will be the same to the people."
--Thomas Paine, Four Letters on Interesting Subjects, 1776

#3261047 - 06/04/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I often note with equal pleasure that God gave this one connected country to one united people -- a people descended from the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in manners and customs, who by their joint counsels, arms, and efforts, fighting side by side through a long bloody war, have nobly established general liberty and independence."
--John Jay, Federalist No. 2, 1787

Hmmmmm...professing the same religion? Similar manners and customs? My how we have changed... \:\(

#3261778 - 06/05/13 06:01 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"On the other hand, the duty imposed upon him [the president] to take care, that the laws be faithfully executed, follows out the strong injunctions of his oath of office, that he will "preserve, protect, and defend the constitution." The great object of the executive department is to accomplish this purpose; and without it, be the form of government whatever it may, it will be utterly worthless for offence, or defence; for the redress of grievances, or the protection of rights; for the happiness, or good order, or safety of the people."

#3262643 - 06/06/13 08:50 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is ... [the citizens] choice, and depends upon their conduct, whether they will be respectable and prosperous, or contemptable and miserable as a Nation. This is the time of their political probation; this is the moment when the eyes of the World are turned upon them."
--George Washington, Letter to the Governors, 1783

#3263239 - 06/07/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If individuals be not influenced by moral principles; it is in vain to look for public virtue; it is, therefore, the duty of legislators to enforce, both by precept and example, the utility, as well as the necessity of a strict adherence to the rules of distributive justice."
--James Madison, in response to Washington's first Inaugural address, 1789

#3265763 - 06/11/13 04:36 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the federal government should overpass the just bounds of its authority and make a tyrannical use of its powers, the people, whose creature it is, must appeal to the standard they have formed, and take such measures to redress the injury done to the Constitution as the exigency may suggest and prudence justify."
--Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 33, 1788

It just doesn't get any clearer than this.

#3266435 - 06/12/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Wow, does this ever sound like todays times or what?

"The most perfect freedom consists in obeying the dictates of right reason, and submitting to natural law. When a man goes beyond or contrary to the law of nature and reason, he becomes the slave of base passions and vile lusts; he introduces confusion and disorder into society, and brings misery and destruction upon himself. This, therefore, cannot be called a state of freedom, but a state of the vilest slavery and the most dreadful bondage. The servants of sin and corruption are subjected to the worst kind of tyranny in the universe. Hence we conclude that where licentiousness begins, liberty ends."
--Samuel West, On the Right to Rebel Against Governors, 1776

#3267177 - 06/13/13 05:03 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I suppose, indeed, that in public life, a man whose political principles have any decided character and who has energy enough to give them effect must always expect to encounter political hostility from those of adverse principles."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Richard M. Johnson, 1808

#3267910 - 06/14/13 05:05 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The fore horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follow that, and in its turn wretchedness and oppression."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Samuel Kerchival, 1816

#3269316 - 06/17/13 06:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The truth is, that, even with the most secure tenure of office, during good behavior, the danger is not, that the judges will be too firm in resisting public opinion, and in defence of private rights or public liberties; but, that they will be ready to yield themselves to the passions, and politics, and prejudices of the day."

#3270850 - 06/19/13 04:55 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves in all cases to which they think themselves competent, or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Cartwright, 1824

#3270854 - 06/19/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The people can never willfully betray their own interests: But they may possibly be betrayed by the representatives of the people; and the danger will be evidently greater where the whole legislative trust is lodged in the hands of one body of men, than where the concurrence of separate and dissimilar bodies is required in every public act."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 63, 1788

#3271602 - 06/20/13 05:02 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The safety of a republic depends essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment; on a uniformity of principles and habits; on the exemption of the citizens from foreign bias and prejudice; and on that love of country which will almost invariably be found to be closely connected with birth, education, and family. The opinion advanced in the Notes on Virginia is undoubtedly correct, that foreigners will generally be apt to bring with them attachments to the persons they have left behind; to the country of their nativity; and to its particular customs and manners. They will also entertain opinions on government congenial with those under which they have lived; or if they should be led hither from a preference to ours, how extremely unlikely is it that they will bring with them that temperate love of liberty, so essential to real republicanism?"
--Alexander Hamilton, From the New York Evening Post: an Examination of the President's Message, Continued, No. VIII, 1802

#3272446 - 06/20/13 10:35 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
Stalkhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

Mup if you dont mind

John Witherspoon
Signer of the Declaration of Independence, Clergyman and President of Princeton University

"While we give praise to God, the Supreme Disposer of all events, for His interposition on our behalf, let us guard against the dangerous error of trusting in, or boasting of, an arm of flesh ... If your cause is just, if your principles are pure, and if your conduct is prudent, you need not fear the multitude of opposing hosts.

"What follows from this? That he is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down profanity and immorality of every kind.

"Whoever is an avowed enemy of God, I scruple not to call him an enemy of his country."

Μολων λαβε
I am a cancer Killer.

#3272502 - 06/21/13 06:02 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: Stalkhunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Glad to see anyone post quotes from the founding fathers! I would encourage anyone who has a mind to, to post the quotes they've come across regarding our Constitution and liberty. \:\)

"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force."
--John Adams, Speech on Independence Day to the House of Representatives, 1821

#3274284 - 06/24/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Constitutions are not designed for metaphysical or logical subtleties, for niceties of expression, for critical propriety, for elaborate shades of meaning, or for the exercise of philosophical acuteness or judicial research. They are instruments of a practical nature, founded on the common business of human life, adapted to common wants, designed for common use, and fitted for common understandings."
--Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States

#3275093 - 06/25/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"At the establishment of our constitutions, the judiciary bodies were supposed to be the most helpless and harmless members of the government. Experience, however, soon showed in what way they were to become the most dangerous; that the insufficiency of the means provided for their removal gave them a freehold and irresponsibility in office; that their decisions, seeming to concern individual suitors only, pass silent and unheeded by the public at large; that these decisions, nevertheless, become law by precedent, sapping, by little and little, the foundations of the constitution, and working its change by construction, before any one has perceived that that invisible and helpless worm has been busily employed in consuming its substance. In truth, man is not made to be trusted for life, if secured against all liability to account."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Monsieur A. Coray, 1823

#3275854 - 06/26/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[J]udges ... should be always men of learning and experience in the laws, of exemplary morals, great patience, calmness, coolness, and attention. Their minds should not be distracted with jarring interests; they should not be dependent upon any man, or body of men."
--John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776

#3276027 - 06/26/13 10:24 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

#3276623 - 06/27/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue is the only foundation of republics. There must be a positive passion for the public good, the public interest, honour, power and glory, established in the minds of the people, or there can be no republican government, nor any real liberty: and this public passion must be superiour to all private passions."
--John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, 1776

Severely lacking imo. \:\(

#3277506 - 06/28/13 05:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Temporary delusions, prejudices, excitements, and objects have irresistible influence in mere questions of policy. And the policy of one age may ill suit the wishes or the policy of another. The constitution is not subject to such fluctuations. It is to have a fixed, uniform, permanent construction. It should be, so far at least as human infirmity will allow, not dependent upon the passions or parties of particular times, but the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever."
--Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution

#3279426 - 07/01/13 05:02 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I consider the government of the United States as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises. This results not only from the provision that no law shall be made respecting the establishment or free exercise of religion, but from that also which reserves to the States the powers not delegated to the United States. Certainly, no power to prescribe any religious exercise or to assume authority in any religious discipline has been delegated to the General Government. It must then rest with the States."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Samuel Miller, 1808

#3280276 - 07/02/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[W]e ought to deprecate the hazard attending ardent and susceptible minds, from being too strongly, and too early prepossessed in favor of other political systems, before they are capable of appreciating their own."
--George Washington, letter to the Commissioners of the District of Columbia, 1795

#3281192 - 07/03/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Very many and very meritorious were the worthy patriots who assisted in bringing back our government to its republican tack. To preserve it in that, will require unremitting vigilance."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Berry, 1822

#3282784 - 07/05/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence; true friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks and adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."
--George Washington, letter to Bushrod Washington, 1783

#3285523 - 07/08/13 10:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is, in extending our commercial relations to have with them as little political connection as possible."

#3286196 - 07/09/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practicing iniquity and extravagance and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the world; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
--John Adams, To the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts, 1798

#3287092 - 07/10/13 05:13 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If in the opinion of the people the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this in one instance may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed. The precedent must always greatly overbalance in permanent evil any partial or transient benefit which the use can at any time yield."

#3288143 - 07/11/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? It is feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
--Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, 1788

Ah heck, should have just underlined the entire awesome passage! ;\)

#3288153 - 07/11/13 05:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Tench Coxe, a member of the second rank of this nation's Founders and a leading proponent of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, wrote prolifically about the right to keep and bear arms. In this Article, the authors trace Coxe's story, from his early writings in support of the Constitution, through his years of public service, to his political writings in opposition to the presidential campaigns of John Adams and John Quincy Adams. The authors note that Coxe described the Second Amendment as guaranteeing an individual right, and believed that an individual right to bear arms was necessary for self-defense and hunting, as well as for militia purposes and protection against oppression by large standing armies.

#3289158 - 07/12/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[I]t is more convenient to prevent the passage of a law, than to declare it void after it has passed."
--James Madison, to Thomas Jefferson, 1787

#3291674 - 07/15/13 06:55 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness."
--James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1790

#3293603 - 07/17/13 04:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is our duty to endeavor always to promote the general good; to do to all as we would be willing to be done by were we in their circumstances; to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly before God. These are some of the laws of nature which every man in the world is bound to observe, and which whoever violates exposes himself to the resentment of mankind, the lashes of his own conscience, and the judgment of Heaven. This plainly shows that the highest state of liberty subjects us to the law of nature and the government of God."
--Samuel West, On the Right to Rebel Against Governors, 1776

#3293608 - 07/17/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A constitution defines and limits the powers of the government it creates. It therefore follows, as a natural and also a logical result, that the governmental exercise of any power not authorized by the constitution is an assumed power, and therefore illegal."
--Thomas Paine, Constitutions, Governments, and Charters, 1805

#3294530 - 07/18/13 05:38 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If justice, good faith, honor, gratitude and all the other qualities which ennoble the character of a nation and fulfill the ends of government be the fruits of our establishments, the cause of liberty will acquire a dignity and lustre, which it has never yet enjoyed, and an example will be set, which cannot but have the most favourable influence on the rights on Mankind. If on the other side, our governments should be unfortunately blotted with the reverse of these cardinal and essential virtues, the great cause which we have engaged to vindicate, will be dishonored and betrayed; the last and fairest experiment in favor of the rights of human nature will be turned against them; and their patrons and friends exposed to be insulted and silenced by the votaries of tyranny and usurpation."
--James Madison, Address to the States, 1783

#3295597 - 07/19/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Martha Jefferson, 1787

#3298241 - 07/22/13 05:02 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Free government is founded in jealousy, and not in confidence; it is jealousy and not confidence which prescribes limited constitutions, to bind down those whom we are obliged to trust with power."
--Thomas Jefferson, The Kentucky Resolutions, 1799

#3299337 - 07/23/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary."
--Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

#3300354 - 07/24/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It should be your care, therefore, and mine, to elevate the minds of our children and exalt their courage; to accelerate and animate their industry and activity; to excite in them an habitual contempt of meanness, abhorrence of injustice and inhumanity, and an ambition to excel in every capacity, faculty, and virtue. If we suffer their minds to grovel and creep in infancy, they will grovel all their lives."
--John Adams, Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1756

#3302452 - 07/26/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Government, in my humble opinion, should be formed to secure and to enlarge the exercise of the natural rights of its members; and every government, which has not this in view, as its principal object, is not a government of the legitimate kind."

#3306084 - 07/30/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have a right, from the frame of their nature, to knowledge, as their great Creator, who does nothing in vain, has given them understandings, and a desire to know; but besides this, they have a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge; I mean, of the characters and conduct of their rulers."
--John Adams, Dissertation on Canon and Feudal Law, 1765

#3307214 - 07/31/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day :O [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

OH MY GOSH! Is this not where we are at or not?! \:o

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffusd and Virtue is preservd. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauchd in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
--Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, 1775

#3308449 - 08/01/13 05:10 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

What the heck has happened to our country? Federal govt run amock without a doubt.

"In the first place, it is to be remembered, that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws: its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects, which concern all the members of the republic, but which are not to be attained by the separate provisions of any."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 14, 1787

#3309416 - 08/02/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Once again...geniuses. Knew where we were headed, and how we would get there.

"History affords us many instances of the ruin of states, by the prosecution of measures ill suited to the temper and genius of their people. The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy... These measures never fail to create great and violent jealousies and animosities between the people favored and the people oppressed; whence a total separation of affections, interests, political obligations, and all manner of connections, by which the whole state is weakened."
--Benjamin Franklin, Emblematical Representations

#3313139 - 08/06/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The good Education of Youth has been esteemed by wise Men in all Ages, as the surest Foundation of the Happiness both of private Families and of Common-wealths. Almost all Governments have therefore made it a principal Object of their Attention, to establish and endow with proper Revenues, such Seminaries of Learning, as might supply the succeeding Age with Men qualified to serve the Publick with Honour to themselves, and to their Country."
--Benjamin Franklin, Proposals Relating to the Education of Youth in Pensilvania, 1749

#3314317 - 08/07/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors, but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Edward Carrington, 1787

#3315484 - 08/08/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To give to every citizen the information he needs for the transaction of his own business; To enable him to calculate for himself, and to express and preserve his ideas, his contracts and accounts, in writing; To improve, by reading, his morals and faculties; To understand his duties to his neighbors and country, and to discharge with competence the functions confided to him by either; To know his rights; to exercise with order and justice those he retains; to choose with discretion the fiduciary of those he delegates; and to notice their conduct with diligence, with candor, and judgment; And, in general, to observe with intelligence and faithfulness all the social relations under which he shall be placed."
--Thomas Jefferson, Report of the Commissioners for the University of Virginia, 1818

#3319861 - 08/12/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[W]e ought to deprecate the hazard attending ardent and susceptible minds, from being too strongly, and too early prepossessed in favor of other political systems, before they are capable of appreciating their own."
--George Washington, letter to the Commissioners of the District of Columbia, 1795

#3320992 - 08/13/13 04:55 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There is not in the whole science of politics a more solid or a more important maxim than this -- that of all governments, those are the best, which, by the natural effect of their constitutions, are frequently renewed or drawn back to their first principles."

#3322278 - 08/14/13 04:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The apportionment of taxes on the various descriptions of property is an act which seems to require the most exact impartiality; yet there is, perhaps, no legislative act in which greater opportunity and temptation are given to a predominant party to trample on the rules of justice. Every shilling which they overburden the inferior number is a shilling saved to their own pockets."
–James Madison, Federalist No. 10, 1787

#3323512 - 08/15/13 06:09 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle, is a species of vice."
–Thomas Paine, Letter Addressed to the Addressers on the Late Proclamation, 1792

#3327568 - 08/19/13 07:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The blessed Religion revealed in the word of God will remain an eternal and awful monument to prove that the best Institution may be abused by human depravity; and that they may even, in some instances be made subservient to the vilest purposes. Should, hereafter, those incited by the lust of power and prompted by the Supineness or venality of their Constituents, overleap the known barriers of this Constitution and violate the unalienable rights of humanity: it will only serve to shew, that no compact among men (however provident in its construction and sacred in its ratification) can be pronounced everlasting an inviolable, and if I may so express myself, that no Wall of words, that no mound of parchm[en]t can be so formed as to stand against the sweeping torrent of boundless ambition on the one side, aided by the sapping current of corrupted morals on the other."
–George Washington, fragments of the Draft First Inaugural Address, 1789

#3328707 - 08/20/13 05:06 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A Constitution is not the act of a Government, but of a people constituting a government, and a government without a constitution is a power without right."
–Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

#3330315 - 08/21/13 09:35 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To prevent crimes, is the noblest end and aim of criminal jurisprudence. To punish them, is one of the means necessary for the accomplishment of this noble end and aim."
–James Wilson, Of the Study of the Law in the United States, 1790

#3331267 - 08/22/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The instability of our laws is really an immense evil. I think it would be well to provide in our constitutions that there shall always be a twelve-month between the ingross-ing a bill & passing it: that it should then be offered to its passage without changing a word: and that if circum-stances should be thought to require a speedier passage, it should take two thirds of both houses instead of a bare majority."
–Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, 1787

#3332694 - 08/23/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States."
–Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787

!!!!!!!!!

#3335970 - 08/26/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"As parents, we can have no joy, knowing that this government is not sufficiently lasting to ensure any thing which we may bequeath to posterity: And by a plain method of argument, as we are running the next generation into debt, we ought to do the work of it, otherwise we use them meanly and pitifully. In order to discover the line of our duty rightly, we should take our children in our hand, and fix our station a few years farther into life; that eminence will present a prospect, which a few present fears and prejudices conceal from our sight."
–Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

#3337383 - 08/27/13 04:57 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"And it is no less true, that personal security and private property rest entirely upon the wisdom, the stability, and the integrity of the courts of justice."
–Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3338817 - 08/28/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
–Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, 1766

#3340272 - 08/29/13 08:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The power of the people pervading the proposed system, together with the strong confederation of the states, will form an adequate security against every danger that has been apprehended."
–John Dickinson, Letters of Fabius, 1788

#3341363 - 08/30/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"But the safety of the people of America against dangers from foreign force depends not only on their forbearing to give just causes of war to other nations, but also on their placing and continuing themselves in such a situation as not to invite hostility or insult; for it need not be observed that there are pretended as well as just causes of war."
–John Jay, Federalist No. 4, 1787

#3345290 - 09/03/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
–Thomas Paine, The Crisis, No. 1, 1776

Sound familiar?

#3346619 - 09/04/13 07:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained."
–George Washington, First Inaugural Address, 1789

#3347715 - 09/05/13 04:55 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We have duties, for the discharge of which we are accountable to our Creator and benefactor, which no human power can cancel. What those duties are, is determinable by right reason, which may be, and is called, a well informed conscience. What this conscience dictates as our duty, is so; and that power which assumes a control over it, is an usurper; for no power can be pleaded to justify the control, as any consent in this case is void."
–Theophilus Parsons, The Essex Result, 1778

#3348993 - 09/06/13 05:10 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To render the justice of the war on our part the more conspicuous, the reluctance to commence it was followed by the earliest and strongest manifestations of a disposition to arrest its progress. The sword was scarcely out of the scabbard before the enemy was apprised of the reasonable terms on which it would be resheathed."
–James Madison, Second Inaugural Address, 1813

#3352540 - 09/09/13 08:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The multiplication of public offices, increase of expense beyond income, growth and entailment of a public debt are indications soliciting the employment of the pruning knife."
–Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Spencer Roane, 1821

#3353569 - 09/10/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The law of nature and the law of revelation are both Divine: they flow, though in different channels, from the same adorable source. It is indeed preposterous to separate them from each other."
--James Wilson, Law of Nature, 1804

#3354819 - 09/11/13 04:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Is the relinquishment of the trial by jury and the liberty of the press necessary for your liberty? Will the abandonment of your most sacred rights tend to the security of your liberty? Liberty, the greatest of all earlthy blessings -- give us that precious jewel, and you may take every things else! ... Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel."
–Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Convention, 1788

#3356405 - 09/12/13 05:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Speak seldom, but to important subjects, except such as particularly relate to your constituents, and, in the former case, make yourself perfectly master of the subject." --George Washington

#3356406 - 09/12/13 05:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A single assembly is liable to all the vices, follies, and frailties of an individual; subject to fits of humor, starts of passion, flights of enthusiasm, partialities, or prejudice, and consequently productive of hasty results and absurd judgments. And all these errors ought to be corrected and defects supplied by some controlling power."
–John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776

#3360874 - 09/16/13 05:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Without justice being freely, fully, and impartially administered, neither our persons, nor our rights, nor our property, can be protected. And if these, or either of them, are regulated by no certain laws, and are subject to no certain principles, and are held by no certain tenure, and are redressed, when violated, by no certain remedies, society fails of all its value; and men may as well return to a state of savage and barbarous independence."
–Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3362258 - 09/17/13 05:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is a duty certainly to give our sparings to those who want; but to see also that they are faithfully distributed, and duly apportioned to the respective wants of those receivers. And why give through agents whom we know not, to persons whom we know not, and in countries from which we get no account, where we can do it at short hand, to objects under our eye, through agents we know, and to supply wants we see?"
–Thomas Jefferson, letter to Michael Megear, 1823

#3363896 - 09/18/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he government must be a weak one indeed, if it should forget that the good of the whole can only be promoted by advancing the good of each of the parts or members which compose the whole."
–John Jay, Federalist No. 64, 1788

#3366822 - 09/20/13 04:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is very imprudent to deprive America of any of her privileges. If her commerce and friendship are of any importance to you, they are to be had on no other terms than leaving her in the full enjoyment of her rights."
–Benjamin Franklin, Political Observations

#3370525 - 09/23/13 04:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is emphatically the province and duty of the Judicial Department to say what the law is. Those who apply the rule to particular cases must, of necessity, expound and interpret that rule. If two laws conflict with each other, the Courts must decide on the operation of each. So, if a law be in opposition to the Constitution, if both the law and the Constitution apply to a particular case, so that the Court must either decide that case conformably to the law, disregarding the Constitution, or conformably to the Constitution, disregarding the law, the Court must determine which of these conflicting rules governs the case. This is of the very essence of judicial duty. If, then, the Courts are to regard the Constitution, and the Constitution is superior to any ordinary act of the Legislature, the Constitution, and not such ordinary act, must govern the case to which they both apply."
–John Marshall, Marbury v. Madison, 1803

#3372080 - 09/24/13 04:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Man, once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the spot of every wind. With such persons, gullability, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason and the mind becomes a wreck."
–Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Smith, 1822

#3373313 - 09/25/13 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Nothing so strongly impels a man to regard the interest of his constituents, as the certainty of returning to the general mass of the people, from whence he was taken, where he must participate in their burdens."
–George Mason, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3374718 - 09/26/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
–Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, 1776

#3380276 - 09/30/13 05:23 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[A] wise and frugal government ... shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities."
–Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, 1801

#3382064 - 10/01/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
–James Madison, letter to Edmund Pendleton, 1792

#3383906 - 10/02/13 05:23 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We are either a United people, or we are not. If the former, let us, in all matters of general concern act as a nation, which have national objects to promote, and a national character to support. If we are not, let us no longer act a farce by pretending to it."
–George Washington, letter to James Madison, 1785

#3385676 - 10/03/13 05:54 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few."
–John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, 1763

#3388001 - 10/04/13 06:19 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Originally Posted By: MUP
"Is the relinquishment of the trial by jury and the liberty of the press necessary for your liberty? Will the abandonment of your most sacred rights tend to the security of your liberty? Liberty, the greatest of all earlthy blessings -- give us that precious jewel, and you may take every things else! ... Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel."

LOVE this quote...and yet all of the great Patriots who visit this website just sit around while our liberties are snatched away from us on a daily basis from right under our noses. I am a T.E.A. Party Patriot that marched on Washington D.C. during the 912 Project...and now Harry Reid has the balls to call me an Anarchist...keep running your lips Mr. Reid, you are responsible for running this country into the ground and you are about to experience true Anarchy and WROL and the pheasants with pitchforks will be coming for you.

#3388050 - 10/04/13 07:16 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
utfan1
10 Point

Loc: cleveland,tn

Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1

LOVE this quote...and yet all of the great Patriots who visit this website just sit around while our liberties are snatched away from us on a daily basis from right under our noses. I am a T.E.A. Party Patriot that marched on Washington D.C. during the 912 Project...and now Harry Reid has the balls to call me an Anarchist...keep running you lips Mr. Reid, you are responsible for running this country into the ground and you are about to experience true Anarchy and WROL and the pheasants with pitchforks will be coming for you.

yep and f.b.h.o

#3391014 - 10/07/13 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: utfan1]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty."
–Fisher Ames, speech in the Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3392202 - 10/07/13 07:47 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Μολων λαβε

#3392613 - 10/08/13 04:55 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: in the dog house!]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
--Thomas Jefferson,letter to John Taylor, 1816

#3405997 - 10/17/13 04:33 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power." --Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1738

#3416464 - 10/24/13 04:32 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Sorry guys, been kinda out of the loop lately.

"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." --James Madison, Federalist No. 51

#3428510 - 10/31/13 04:38 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. ... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." --Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, 1775

#3430475 - 11/01/13 06:22 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The foundations of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality, and the preeminence of free government be exemplified by all the attributes which can win the affections of its citizens, and command the respect of the world." --George Washington, First Inaugural Address, 1789

#3434799 - 11/04/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The only foundation of a free Constitution, is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People, in a great Measure, than they have it now. They may change their Rulers, and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting Liberty." --John Adams, letter to Zabdiel Adams, 1776

#3436716 - 11/05/13 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support." --Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1792

#3439818 - 11/07/13 04:35 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If we continue to be a happy people, that happiness must be assured by the enacting and executing of reasonable and wise laws, expressed in the plainest language, and by establishing such modes of education as tend to inculcate in the minds of youth, the feelings and habits of 'piety, religion and morality,' and to lead them to the knowledge and love of those truly Republican principles upon which our civil institutions are founded." --Samuel Adams, Address to the Legislature of Massachusetts, 1795

#3441663 - 11/08/13 04:21 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people, commencing demagogues and ending tyrants." –Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 1, 1787

#3446272 - 11/11/13 05:01 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The time to guard against corruption and tyranny, is before they shall have gotten hold on us. It is better to keep the wolf out of the fold, than to trust to drawing his teeth and talons after he shall have entered." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 13, 1781

#3451828 - 11/14/13 04:50 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If we move in mass, be it ever so circuitously, we shall attain our object; but if we break into squads ... we become an easy conquest to those who can now barely hold us in check." --Thomas Jefferson, 1811

#3453400 - 11/15/13 04:48 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The origin and outset of the American Republic, contain lessons of which posterity ought not to be deprived." --James Madison, to William Eustis, 1819

#3461442 - 11/20/13 05:00 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 18, 1781

#3463534 - 11/21/13 04:52 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn." --George Washington, letter to the Legislature of Pennsylvania, 1789

#3465375 - 11/22/13 05:32 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Government is instituted to protect property of every sort; as well that which lies in the various rights of individuals, as that which the term particularly expresses. This being the end of government, that alone is a just government which impartially secures to every man whatever is his own." --James Madison, Essay on Property, 1792

#3483359 - 12/04/13 05:16 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained." --George Washington, First Inaugural Address, 1789

#3485043 - 12/05/13 04:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

If ever there was a 100% accurate quote from our founders, this is it...

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders." --Samuel Adams, Letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

#3492134 - 12/09/13 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." --Thomas Jefferson

#3495558 - 12/11/13 08:35 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Necessity, especially in politics, often occasions false hopes, false reasonings and a system of measures, correspondently erroneous." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 35, 1788

#3497351 - 12/12/13 10:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." --Article II, Section 1, Constitution of the United States (1787)

#3498442 - 12/13/13 04:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A sacred respect for the constitutional law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free government." --Alexander Hamilton, Essay in the American Daily Advertiser, 1794

#3502433 - 12/16/13 04:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"History by apprising [citizens] of the past will enable them to judge of the future; it will avail them of the experience of other times and other nations; it will qualify them as judges of the actions and designs of men; it will enable them to know ambition under every disguise it may assume; and knowing it, to defeat its views." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 14, 1781

#3504110 - 12/17/13 05:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"As riches increase and accumulate in few hands, as luxury prevails in society, virtue will be in a greater degree considered as only a graceful appendage of wealth, and the tendency of things will be to depart from the republican standard. This is the real disposition of human nature; it is what neither the honorable member nor myself can correct. It is a common misfortunate that awaits our State constitution, as well as all others." --Alexander Hamilton, speech to the New York Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3507258 - 12/19/13 04:13 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Without justice being freely, fully, and impartially administered, neither our persons, nor our rights, nor our property, can be protected. And if these, or either of them, are regulated by no certain laws, and are subject to no certain principles, and are held by no certain tenure, and are redressed, when violated, by no certain remedies, society fails of all its value; and men may as well return to a state of savage and barbarous independence." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3507596 - 12/19/13 10:48 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"May the father of all mercies scatter light, and not darkness, upon our paths, and make us in all our several vocations useful here, and in His own due time and way everlastingly happy." --George Washington (1790)

#3544566 - 01/13/14 10:46 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"No man can well doubt the propriety of placing a president of the United States under the most solemn obligations to preserve, protect, and defend the constitution. It is a suitable pledge of his fidelity and responsibility to his country; and creates upon his conscience a deep sense of duty, by an appeal, at once in the presence of God and man, to the most sacred and solemn sanctions, which can operate upon the human mind." --Joseph Story (1833)

#3547372 - 01/15/14 10:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence; true friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks and adversity before it is entitled to the appellation." --George Washington, Letter to Bushrod Washington, 1783

#3548825 - 01/16/14 10:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 15, 1787

#3550295 - 01/17/14 10:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the president alone was vested with the power of appointing all officers, and was left to select a council for himself, he would be liable to be deceived by flatterers and pretenders to patriotism." --Roger Sherman, to John Adams, 1789

#3553896 - 01/20/14 10:45 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The foundation on which all [constitutions] are built is the natural equality of man, the denial of every preeminence but that annexed to legal office, and particularly the denial of a preeminence by birth." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1784

#3555205 - 01/21/14 10:11 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[C]onsidering the natural lust for power so inherent in man, I fear the thirst of power will prevail to oppress the people." --George Mason, speech at the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

#3556825 - 01/22/14 10:13 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It becomes all therefore who are friends of a Government based on free principles to reflect, that by denying the possibility of a system partly federal and partly consolidated, and who would convert ours into one either wholly federal or wholly consolidated, in neither of which forms have individual rights, public order, and external safety, been all duly maintained, they aim a deadly blow at the last hope of true liberty on the face of the Earth." --James Madison, Notes on Nullification, 1834

#3557732 - 01/23/14 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. ... [T]he more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. More will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them." --Benjamin Franklin (1766)

#3560236 - 01/25/14 08:12 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. John Adams

#3567897 - 01/30/14 10:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If there be a principle that ought not to be questioned within the United States, it is, that every nation has a right to abolish an old government and establish a new one. This principle is not only recorded in every public archive, written in every American heart, and sealed with the blood of a host of American martyrs; but is the only lawful tenure by which the United States hold their existence as a nation." --James Madison, Helevidius, No. 3, 1793

#3569485 - 01/31/14 10:24 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he States can best govern our home concerns and the general government our foreign ones. I wish, therefore ... never to see all offices transferred to Washington, where, further withdrawn from the eyes of the people, they may more secretly be bought and sold at market." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Judge William Johnson, 1823

#3584801 - 02/12/14 10:40 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, 1787

#3585090 - 02/12/14 02:48 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

"The time will and must come, when honesty will receive its reward, and when the people of this nation will be brought to a sense of their duty, and will pause and reflect how much it cost us to redeem ourselves from the government of one man." Davy Crockett

#3586260 - 02/13/14 01:14 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: worriedman]
worriedman
6 Point

“Remember these words when I am dead.
First be sure you're right, then go ahead.” Davy Crockett

#3587264 - 02/14/14 10:23 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[S]hould Congress, under the pretext of executing its powers, pass laws for the accomplishment of objects not entrusted to the government, such [acts are] not the law of the land." --John Marshall, McCulloch v. Maryland, 1819

#3590626 - 02/17/14 10:11 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We are either a United people, or we are not. If the former, let us, in all matters of general concern act as a nation, which have national objects to promote, and a national character to support. If we are not, let us no longer act a farce by pretending to it." --George Washington, letter to James Madison, 1785

#3591968 - 02/18/14 10:15 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[A]ll are subject by nature to equal laws of morality, and in society have a right to equal laws for their government, yet no two men are perfectly equal in person, property, understanding, activity, and virtue, or ever can be made so by any power less than that which created them." --John Adams, Discourse on Davila - XV, 1776

#3593344 - 02/19/14 10:36 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments in one, and thus to create whatever the form of government, a real despotism. A just estimate of that love of power, and proneness to abuse it, which predominates in the human heart is sufficient to satisfy us of the truth of this position." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

#3594531 - 02/20/14 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue is the only foundation of republics. There must be a positive passion for the public good, the public interest, honor, power and glory, established in the minds of the people, or there can be no republican government, nor any real liberty: and this public passion must be superior to all private passions." --John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, 1776

#3595637 - 02/21/14 10:34 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." Thomas Jefferson

#3598252 - 02/24/14 10:36 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite." --James Madison, Federalist No. 45, 1788

#3599259 - 02/25/14 10:33 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[J]udges ... should be always men of learning and experience in the laws, of exemplary morals, great patience, calmness, coolness, and attention. Their minds should not be distracted with jarring interests; they should not be dependent upon any man, or body of men." --John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776

#3600374 - 02/26/14 10:12 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." --Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

#3601627 - 02/27/14 10:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We are firmly convinced, and we act on that conviction, that with nations as with individuals our interests soundly calculated will ever be found inseparable from our moral duties, and history bears witness to the fact that a just nation is trusted on its word when recourse is had to armaments and wars to bridle others." --Thomas Jefferson, Second Inaugural Address, 1805

#3605532 - 03/03/14 10:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate." --Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

#3606749 - 03/04/14 10:38 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." --James Madison, letter to W.T. Barry, 1822

#3607832 - 03/05/14 10:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

#3608817 - 03/06/14 10:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We lay it down as a fundamental, that laws, to be just, must give a reciprocation of right; that, without this, they are mere arbitrary rules of conduct, founded in force, and not in conscience." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the state of Virginia, 1782

#3611739 - 03/10/14 04:53 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves on the ruin of this Country. Let us convince every invader of our freedom, that we will be as free as the constitution our fathers recognized, will justify." --Samuel Adams, A State of the Rights of the Colonists, 1772

#3614016 - 03/12/14 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he most productive system of finance will always be the least burdensome." --James Madison, Federalist No. 39, 1788

#3615252 - 03/13/14 01:04 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The only foundation of a free Constitution, is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People, in a greater Measure than they have it now, they may change their Rulers, and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting Liberty." --John Adams, letter to Zabdiel Adams, 1776

#3618442 - 03/17/14 10:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The constitution of the United States is to receive a reasonable interpretation of its language, and its powers, keeping in view the objects and purposes, for which those powers were conferred. By a reasonable interpretation, we mean, that in case the words are susceptible of two different senses, the one strict, the other more enlarged, that should be adopted, which is most consonant with the apparent objects and intent of the Constitution." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3619435 - 03/18/14 10:09 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our confederated fabric. They are construing our constitution from a co-ordination of a general and special government to a general and supreme one alone." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Ritchie, 1820

#3620382 - 03/19/14 10:09 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"When occasions present themselves, in which the interests of the people are at variance with their inclinations, it is the duty of the persons whom they have appointed to be the guardians of those interests, to withstand the temporary delusion, in order to give them time and opportunity for more cool and sedate reflection." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 71, 1788

#3621478 - 03/20/14 10:30 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government." –Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, 1787

BOOM!!!

#3627652 - 03/27/14 10:22 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We have therefore to resolve to conquer or die: Our won Country's Honor, all call upon us for vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world. Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions." --George Washington, General Orders, 1776

#3632570 - 04/01/14 11:06 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The invasion of private rights is chiefly to be apprehended, not from acts of Government contrary to the sense of its constituents, but from acts in which the Government is the mere instrument of the major number of the Constituents." --James Madison, letter to Thomas Jefferson, 1788

#3634747 - 04/03/14 10:43 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823

#3639025 - 04/08/14 10:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams, Address to the Military, 1798

#3652260 - 04/22/14 10:33 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Sound like anyone you know? If our founders weren't able to read into the future, then surely they had internet access!

"It is of great importance to set a resolution, not to be shaken, never to tell an untruth. There is no vice so mean, so pitiful, so contemptible; and he who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and a third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of the tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good disposition." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785

#3653876 - 04/24/14 06:20 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual -- or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country." --Samuel Adams (1781)

#3657172 - 04/28/14 10:42 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Charles Jarvis, 1820

#3658267 - 04/29/14 10:37 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In the next place, the state governments are, by the very theory of the constitution, essential constituent parts of the general government. They can exist without the latter, but the latter cannot exist without them." --Joseph Story Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3660076 - 05/01/14 10:28 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The rights of neutrality will only be respected when they are defended by an adequate power. A nation, despicable by its weakness, forfeits even the privilege of being neutral." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 11, 1787

#3663892 - 05/06/14 10:35 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is the duty of parents to maintain their children decently, and according to their circumstances; to protect them according to the dictates of prudence; and to educate them according to the suggestions of a judicious and zealous regard for their usefulness, their respectability and happiness." --James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1791

#3664714 - 05/07/14 10:40 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If it were to be asked, What is the most sacred duty and the greatest source of our security in a Republic? The answer would be, An inviolable respect for the Constitution and Laws -- the first growing out of the last. ... A sacred respect for the constitutional law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free government." --Alexander Hamilton, Essay in the American Daily Advertiser, 1794

#3665363 - 05/08/14 04:56 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams (1775)

#3665546 - 05/08/14 10:19 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The state governments have a full superintendence and control over the immense mass of local interests of their respective states, which connect themselves with the feelings, the affections, the municipal institutions, and the internal arrangements of the whole population. They possess, too, the immediate administration of justice in all cases, civil and criminal, which concern the property, personal rights, and peaceful pursuits of their own citizens." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3668399 - 05/12/14 10:25 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful." --Fisher Ames, letter to George Richard Minot, 1789

#3670707 - 05/15/14 04:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel." --Patrick Henry (1778)

#3673507 - 05/19/14 10:50 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." --Thomas Paine, Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1791

#3674190 - 05/20/14 10:17 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." --Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, 1775

#3675311 - 05/21/14 11:04 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." --Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, 1775

Man, this is so true today 239 years later. Keep these coming, I love reading them, although most times I have to read them 2 or 3 times to understand them, and sometimes I can't decipher them at all.

#3675337 - 05/22/14 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
MUP
Non-Typical

Same with me Patrick. But I know I'm reading the words of geniuses, so I hope some will rub off on me! ;\)

#3675338 - 05/22/14 04:58 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as with a sun beam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power." --Alexander Hamilton, The Farmer Refuted, 1775

#3675499 - 05/22/14 10:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XIV, 1781

#3678330 - 05/27/14 10:36 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Foreign influence is truly the Grecian horse to a republic. We cannot be too careful to exclude its influence." --Alexander Hamilton, Pacificus, No. 6, 1793

#3679067 - 05/28/14 10:50 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to E. Carrington, 1788

#3679746 - 05/29/14 10:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." --George Mason, Speech During Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

#3682044 - 06/02/14 11:17 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness." --James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1790

#3682698 - 06/03/14 10:50 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace." --George Washington, First Annual Message, 1790

#3683446 - 06/04/14 10:44 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." --John Adams, Notes for an oration at Braintree, 1772

#3684245 - 06/05/14 10:35 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A standing Army, however necessary it may be at some times, is always dangerous to the Liberties of the People. ... The Militia is composed of free Citizens. There is therefore no Danger of their making use of their Power to the destruction of their own Rights, or suffering others to invade them." --Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, 1776

#3686597 - 06/09/14 10:16 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"If a nation expects to be ignorant -- and free -- in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, 1816

#3687537 - 06/10/14 10:47 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"A judiciary independent of a king or executive alone, is a good thing; but independence of the will of the nation is a solecism, at least in a republican government." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Ritchie, 1820

#3689292 - 06/12/14 04:33 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace." --George Washington (1790)

#3689594 - 06/12/14 10:49 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

"Our affairs are hastening fast to a crisis; and the approaching Campaign will, in all probability, determine forever the fate of America...They are called upon to say, whether they will live Slaves or die Freemen. They are requested to step forth in defense of their Wives, their Children, their Liberty and everything they hold dear. The Cause is most certainly a glorious one"
John Hancock - Letter to Maryland Representatives June 4, 1776

#3690213 - 06/13/14 05:08 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he danger from legislative usurpations, which, by assembling all power in the same hands, must lead to the same tyranny as is threatened by executive usurpations." --James Madison, Federalist No. 48, 1788

#3692137 - 06/16/14 10:37 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It has been said that all Government is an evil. It would be more proper to say that the necessity of any Government is a misfortune." --James Madison, 1833

#3692879 - 06/17/14 11:09 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Nothing is more certain than that a general profligacy and corruption of manners make a people ripe for destruction. A good form of government may hold the rotten materials together for some time, but beyond a certain pitch, even the best constitution will be ineffectual, and slavery must ensue." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men, 1776

#3693467 - 06/18/14 10:59 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[T]he great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist encroachment of the others." --James Madison, Federalist No. 51, 1788

#3693949 - 06/19/14 04:37 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"I will not believe our labors are lost. I shall not die without a hope that light and liberty are on a steady advance." --Thomas Jefferson (1821)

#3696444 - 06/23/14 10:14 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It will be worthy of a free, enlightened, and, at no distant period, a great nation, to give to mankind the magnanimous and too novel example of a people always guided by an exalted justice and benevolence." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

#3697163 - 06/24/14 10:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It is ... [the citizens'] choice, and depends upon their conduct, whether they will be respectable and prosperous, or contemptable and miserable as a nation. This is the time of their political probation; this is the moment when the eyes of the world are turned upon them." --George Washington, Letter to the Governors, 1783

#3698406 - 06/26/14 10:41 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[A] mere demarcation on parchment of the constitutional limits of the several departments, is not a sufficient guard against those encroachments which lead to a tyrannical concentration of all the powers of government in the same hands." --James Madison, Federalist No. 48, 1788

#3700632 - 06/30/14 10:29 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[E]very man, conducting himself as a good citizen, and being accountable to God alone for his religious opinions, ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience." --George Washington, letter to the General Committee of the United Baptist Churches in Virginia, 1789

#3701243 - 07/01/14 10:04 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." --Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798

#3702304 - 07/03/14 05:11 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Honor, justice, and humanity, forbid us tamely to surrender that freedom which we received from our gallant ancestors, and which our innocent posterity have a right to receive from us." --Thomas Jefferson (1775)

#3704866 - 07/08/14 04:32 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to be sought for in metaphysical subtleties which may make anything mean everything or nothing at pleasure." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823

#3705887 - 07/09/14 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Kings or parliaments could not give the rights essential to happiness... We claim them from a higher source -- from the King of kings, and Lord of all the earth. They are not annexed to us by parchments and seals. They are created in us by the decrees of Providence, which establish the laws of our nature. They are born with us; exist with us; and cannot be taken from us by any human power, without taking our lives." --John Dickinson, An Address to the Committee of Correspondence in Barbados, 1766

#3709572 - 07/14/14 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Security against foreign danger is one of the primitive objects of civil society. It is an avowed and essential object of the American Union." --James Madison, Federalist No. 41, 1788

#3710769 - 07/15/14 10:51 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors; and capacity, if wisely improved, and faithfully guarded, of transmitting to their latest posterity all the substantial blessings of life, the peaceful enjoyment of liberty, property, religion, and independence." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

#3711728 - 07/16/14 10:12 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"[W]here there is no law, there is no liberty; and nothing deserves the name of law but that which is certain and universal in its operation upon all the members of the community." --Benjamin Rush, Letter to David Ramsay, 1788

#3712503 - 07/17/14 09:21 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it." --Declaration of Independence (1776)

#3715719 - 07/22/14 10:37 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"There can be no greater error than to expect, or calculate upon real favors from Nation to Nation. 'Tis an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

#3716354 - 07/23/14 10:18 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be to-morrow." --James Madison, Federal No. 62, 1788

#3716799 - 07/23/14 07:58 PM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it." --Declaration of Independence (1776)

"Security against foreign danger is one of the primitive objects of civil society. It is an avowed and essential object of the American Union." --James Madison, Federalist No. 41, 1788

Now more than ever...

#3717040 - 07/24/14 04:48 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
MUP
Non-Typical

Yes sir. Kinda lends more credence to ol bubba taking up arms around the border doesn't it?

#3717279 - 07/24/14 10:17 AM Re: Patriot Quote for the Day [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

"To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 34, 1788

Page all of 30 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
24 registered (bigasports, Vermin93, SMB44, Methane, devo1980, Tn_Va_Hunter, 4 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89102 Topics
1042130 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.293 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.