Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3118169 - 01/10/13 06:13 PM Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin
ilovemuzzleloaders
4 Point

Loc: madison,tn

http://www.tennessean.com/article/201301...?nclick_check=1

Americans who believe being gay is a sin are no longer the majority — not even half — a shift a Southern Baptist-affiliated research group pins on President Barack Obama’s changed opinion of gay marriage.

A November survey from Nashville-based LifeWay Research, affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, found 37 percent of Americans polled said “yes” when asked if homosexual behavior is a sin.

Forty-five percent said no. Seventeen percent didn’t know.

That’s a major change from LifeWay’s September 2011 survey, when 44 percent said homosexuality was a sin, 43 percent said no and 13 percent didn’t know.

The survey results didn’t surprise the Rev. Cindy Andrews-Looper of Holy Trinity Community Church in Nashville, a congregation with a large number of gay members.

When her church opened in the mid-1990s, most gay and lesbian members were in the closet, she said. Today, they’ve found more acceptance in Nashville’s religious community and in the community at large.

Andrews-Looper said that being gay isn’t any more sinful that being left-handed.

“Jesus didn’t come into the world to condemn anyone,” she said. “To use the gospel to condemn anyone is missing the point.”

Those most likely to believe being gay is a sin are Americans who attend church at least once a week or identify themselves as Evangelical.

The shift in attitudes about gay people likely cost an Evangelical minister from Atlanta the chance to pray at President Obama’s second inauguration. The Rev. Louie Giglio of Passion City Church in Atlanta had been asked to give the benediction. He withdrew after an anti-gay sermon of his surfaced on in the internet.

“Due to a message of mine that has surfaced from 15-20 years ago, it is likely that my participation, and the prayer I would offer will be dwarfed by those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration,” he said in a statement.

LifeWay’s Ed Stetzer predicted more future conflicts like that one.

“The culture is clearly shifting on homosexuality and this creates a whole new issue: How will America deal with a minority view, strongly held by Evangelicals, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, and so many others?” he said in a statement.

The survey was released on the same day that the federal government agreed to pay $2.4 million to 181 service members were dismissed under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, also ended under the Obama administration.

The payments were for back pay and will average about $14,000, according to a settlement announced by the ACLU.

Among the plaintiffs was Richard Collins, a former staff sergeant in the Air Force who served for nine years until he was discharged in 2006 under the policy.

“We gave all we had to our country, and just wanted the same dignity and respect for our service as any other veterans,” Collins said in a statement.

#3118282 - 01/10/13 07:18 PM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: ilovemuzzleloaders]
turkeyslyr3
Spike

Loc: Lawrence Tennessee

This sickens me gay is gay it is a sin read the freakin bible I wish we could ship them all away and I still say they can have my guns if they ban fags jmo

#3118289 - 01/10/13 07:20 PM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: turkeyslyr3]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

The ones that said no being gay is not a sin,are in denial and know it is in fact a sin,but just keep telling themselves its not..Whatever they gotta do to sleep at night I guess..But in the end we all will be judged..

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3118300 - 01/10/13 07:30 PM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: cecil30-30]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

What in the **** is wrong with people anymore?!! The world as a whole is in big trouble. Wrong is now right, and right is now racist.:(

#3118469 - 01/10/13 08:55 PM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: Mudbone]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I am not one bit surprised.... I mean come on.... gay is in the military, gay is all over tv, gay is on the news where people get laws changed so they can have their gay wedding.... I can't even watch the weather in the morning without hearing about gay Sam the weather guy and his gay wedding with his gay lover and being on vacation to be on his gay honeymoon.

#3118894 - 01/11/13 08:30 AM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Hello, Sodom? Gomorrah? Yeah, this is America. God, called. He says he's sorry he judge you so fast...

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#3118936 - 01/11/13 08:58 AM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how INDOCTRINATION works.

When you inundate society with pro gay agendas, movies, tv, etc... this is what we get.

#3119196 - 01/11/13 12:07 PM Re: Big drop in Americans who think being gay's a sin [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
Ladies and gentlemen, this is how INDOCTRINATION works.

When you inundate society with pro gay agendas, movies, tv, etc... this is what we get.

Well said.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (Prowler, trevor2010, Vermin93, TeamMainStreet, TNboy6, Main Beam, 1 invisible) and 73 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96150 Topics
1125927 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.