Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3116235 - 01/09/13 12:57 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: BlountArrow]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: Poser
...It is possible that hunters have been taking certain truths for granted for years and years....

^^^This couldn't be more true. I worked with a guy for many years and he was probably 65 when he retired from here. To this day, he believes there is a gland/fatty pocket in the back ham of a deer that once removed will prevent your deer from tasting gamey. He told SO MANY people this that I never had the heart to correct him. He would say, "Ever since a butcher showed me where that gland was I ain't never had gamey tasting deer meat since."

Hey now, you know, cuz, you have to put that whole deer in salt water for a week and let it soak \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3116256 - 01/09/13 01:06 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Yep, heard that one too. My uncle, who is the reason I got into hunting, preaches that one. However, he doesn't process his own deer??? He knows I process my own and brings it up from time to time. Where does this folklore even come from \:\) !

#3116487 - 01/09/13 03:50 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: BlountArrow]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

\:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3116818 - 01/09/13 06:46 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Coach]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Poser-I am wondering about this because I have tasted venison that was gamey-tainted if you will. I am a big believer in gutting and cooling as quick as possible because when I first started hunting in Miami you gotta be quick or the deer will sour right in front of you. Plus, my Ozark Mountain Dad stressed to me over and over that you gotta clean them quick or they go bad. Maybe the fat goes bad quicker than the venison if you don't get them cooled down quick?
#3116831 - 01/09/13 06:58 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Crosshairy]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

No thanks Poser \:D . I like to do roasts with a deer roast with no fat and a beef roast. The beef fat saturates into the deer roast. That's what I like

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3117893 - 01/10/13 02:56 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Swole Neck
4 Point

Loc: TN

It taint the front, it taint the back.
#3117906 - 01/10/13 03:03 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Swole Neck]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Interesting that you would ask this question today.

Just last night, Browtines and I were processing my 8 point from December 15th. We had a Mr. Heater running to keep the chill off. We sliced a few thin pieces of meat and let them "grill" in front of the Mr. Heater. It just took a few seconds on each side. (Yes, you ARE a redneck if you grill deer meat on a Mr. Heater) \:D \:D

Anyway, I cut a large hunk of fat off the deer's neck and decided to see how it would react to "grilling". Browtines said, "That is gonna stink something awful." Much to our surprise, it smelled like an incredible cut of Rib Eye or T-Bone from an aged beef.

Neither one of us tasted it, I guess we needed Poser there, \:\) but let me tell you, it Smelled Wonderful!

#3117953 - 01/10/13 03:35 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: plinker22]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Very legitimate question. I've always been fanatical about removing all fat and silverskin when I butcher a deer. I've never had one that I butchered that tasted objectionably "gamey".

On the other hand, I've eaten burger from a commercial processor that was the gamiest tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. I have always assumed that the commercial ground meat had a high percentage of fat and connective tissue. No processor could make money if he took the time it takes to remove all that stuff before grinding it.

I have always assumed that the difference in taste that I get is due to the removal of fat and anything else that doesn't look like something I'd want to put in my mouth, but I have never tested that hypothesis. Perhaps it is the othjer stuff and not the fat that gives meat an off taste. Kudos for having an open mind and questioning the prevailing wisdom.

By the way, Poser, I've heard that deer sphincters taste really good - like calimari. I believe you're da man to test that theory. \:D

Edited by Pursuit Hunter (01/10/13 03:38 PM)

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#3119249 - 01/11/13 01:19 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter
Very legitimate question. I've always been fanatical about removing all fat and silverskin when I butcher a deer. I've never had one that I butchered that tasted objectionably "gamey".

On the other hand, I've eaten burger from a commercial processor that was the gamiest tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. I have always assumed that the commercial ground meat had a high percentage of fat and connective tissue. No processor could make money if he took the time it takes to remove all that stuff before grinding it.

I have always assumed that the difference in taste that I get is due to the removal of fat and anything else that doesn't look like something I'd want to put in my mouth, but I have never tested that hypothesis. Perhaps it is the othjer stuff and not the fat that gives meat an off taste. Kudos for having an open mind and questioning the prevailing wisdom.

By the way, Poser, I've heard that deer sphincters taste really good - like calimari. I believe you're da man to test that theory. \:D

Poser, just say no to crack \:D

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3119301 - 01/11/13 02:02 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Winchester]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Its not as much the bad taste as the waxy texture that i dont like.
x1000 cold deer ribs is a prime example of this "waxy" texture. I always eat mine straight off the bbq.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (KubotaM4900, Dirt nap, Vermin93, gasman, GOODWIN, SharpEyeGirl, 1 invisible) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99539 Topics
1171066 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.