Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3117491 - 01/10/13 09:43 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online
The reasoning I have read for not shooting does late leans more towards helping the bucks out. IT goes like this - if you know you want to shoot a doe or two, it's better to shoot them as early as possible so the bucks don't have to exert themselves on those does in the rut. This keeps bucks from getting so run down going into Winter. Obviously something that is going to be more important further North where winters are more harsh of course but I see no reason not to try taking does as early as you can here.
#3117527 - 01/10/13 10:07 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
At this time of year, the vast, vast majority of does 1 1/2 years old are pregnant, whether their fetuses are big enough to see or not.
can you tell the age of the fetus by the size? the ones in ImThere's doe were about 2.5 inches long and she was 3.5 years old. Maybe you can tell approximately when she was bred?

...since last deer season

#3117684 - 01/10/13 12:07 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

At this time of year, the vast, vast majority of does 1 1/2 years old are pregnant, whether their fetuses are big enough to see or not.

I guess this is the part I hadn't considered. This spot I have to hunt it is almost inconceivable that all the does get bred because there is so many. All year long I saw three different bucks, one of which I took before rut and the other two I let walk: one 1.5 5pt, one 2.5 8pt. However, on the last day of my season, I counted 24 does and made sure I wasn't counting them twice. Now that I think about it, maybe they are all bred and I have the happiest bucks in the state!

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3118108 - 01/10/13 05:32 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

i have probably killed a few like that before but i just gut them and pay no attention to whats inside.
#3118921 - 01/11/13 08:51 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
can you tell the age of the fetus by the size? the ones in ImThere's doe were about 2.5 inches long and she was 3.5 years old. Maybe you can tell approximately when she was bred?

Yes, the size of the fetus tells you how many days prior the doe was bred. But the differences are so small day to day that I would need the fetus to actually measure it. You can buy a "fetal scale" that is a basically a tape measure with the lengths marked in "days after conception."

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3118923 - 01/11/13 08:51 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
The reasoning I have read for not shooting does late leans more towards helping the bucks out. IT goes like this - if you know you want to shoot a doe or two, it's better to shoot them as early as possible so the bucks don't have to exert themselves on those does in the rut. This keeps bucks from getting so run down going into Winter. Obviously something that is going to be more important further North where winters are more harsh of course but I see no reason not to try taking does as early as you can here.

I agree with this. I would prefer to take does before the rut if the local sex ratio is poor.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3118927 - 01/11/13 08:54 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter

I guess this is the part I hadn't considered. This spot I have to hunt it is almost inconceivable that all the does get bred because there is so many. All year long I saw three different bucks, one of which I took before rut and the other two I let walk: one 1.5 5pt, one 2.5 8pt. However, on the last day of my season, I counted 24 does and made sure I wasn't counting them twice. Now that I think about it, maybe they are all bred and I have the happiest bucks in the state!

It is amazing, but they all get bred (but that also points out how stressful the rut can be on bucks). Also remember that what deer you see in daylight has absolutely no relation to what deer are actually there. Highly pressured deer can and do learn to be totally nocturnal. Unless fawn production is extremely low, it is biologically impossible to have more than 3 does per buck, and rarely is that bad.

#3119778 - 01/11/13 08:24 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Jaahspike]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

\:\)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (J.Maples, LOWland, dmonty, stringtalker, Tnscooter63, Master Chief, 15 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93363 Topics
1090187 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.117 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.