Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 11 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3116129 - 01/09/13 11:51 AM Well I'm going high fence hunting
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
...and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was planning to make the 6 hour drive up to Kansas this weekend to shoot a few does on public land to finish filling my freezer in Dallas. Yesterday my boss's, boss's, boss, who I've known for 12 years, calls me and says he wants me to join him on a hunt. Apparently one of our company's vendors bought nine trophy whitetail hunts on a high fence ranch a few hrs from Dallas. They invited four senior executives from our company and one of them had to cancel at the last minute. I'm surprised they invited me to fill the gap, but I guess they figured that I hunt, I'm single and I could easily make the time at the last minute. It's a 1000 acre high fence ranch with big bucks and a number of exotics. I have no idea what to expect, but my expectations are low. I just hope we don't drive around until we see one and then get out and shoot it. I really don't want to hunt over a timed feeder, either. I hope we at least use a stand or a blind or maybe even spot and stalk. I know that at least one of the executives that's going is overweight and may never have fired a gun in his life, so I just don't see how the hunt could be very challenging. I figured it would not be a good career move to decline an all expenses paid trip like this with three members of my company's senior executive team, so Friday I head out with a group of corporate executives who want big antlers on their walls. Hopefully none of them are SEC fans. I wonder if it's even safe to eat the meat from these bucks? I have a feeling that I'll probably be the only one who will show an interest in the meat.

I'll give a candid recap of the experience when I get back.

#3116135 - 01/09/13 12:00 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Well since it isn't fair chase hunting, don't think of it as such.... just go out and shoot one, I'm sure it will be fun in its own way and you probably won't get to ever do it again because of the $$$ involved. I doubt you will be one of those guys you see on TV raving about how it's "the hunt of a lifetime" or "the buck of a lifetime" but if I had a free fenced hunt I would do it just because I could, and it would add another conversation piece to my wall...also I would guess the meat is fine, at least better than most beef that you can buy. See if you can get some footage or something and I look forward to hearing the results.

...since last deer season

#3116141 - 01/09/13 12:03 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
bjohnson
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX / Afghanistan

Just go out and have a good time...it is free lol.

#3116144 - 01/09/13 12:05 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

the meat will be good.. just have fun its still hunting. and it could lead into some good oppurtunities down the road. plus really and truly it is a hunt of a life time I mean not many people can afford to hunt in a high fence. the trip will be what you make of the trip.

#3116150 - 01/09/13 12:09 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: bjohnson]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: bjohnson
Just go out and have a good time...it is free lol.

Yep, I'd go. I don't think it is truly "hunting" in the essence I appreciate but maybe I'd feel differently if I lived in TX.

#3116151 - 01/09/13 12:10 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: deerhunter10]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Have fun and remember, this is a business trip. Meat will taste great.
#3116163 - 01/09/13 12:18 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: jb3]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

offer to take all of the meat off your bosses' hands. If they agree, then you won't feel any pressure to actually kill anything. I feel for you. I got put in a similar situation with a European Pheasant hunt. I ended up backing out of it at the last minute.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3116166 - 01/09/13 12:19 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: jb3]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

I hunted a high fenced in S. Texas once (2400 acres). It was a tougher hunt than the unfenced ranch in Texas I hunted. Kinda shocked me really. Not saying that's the norm but was my experience.

Saw lots of deer (probably 35 a hunt) and lots of big bucks but when bucks have to be 5.5+ it wasn't easy, just saying. I saw dozens of big younger bucks though. Dozens and dozens. I know all ranches aren't created equal.

The free range Texas hunt was 25k acres and I could have shot every sit had I wanted something in the 130's or 140's.

It was a neat experience to hunt S. Texas for sure but I think I'd get bored hunting that every day. I know that sounds weird.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3116169 - 01/09/13 12:20 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

I'm sure they are fed protein pellets as most are on those ranches. That will be the best deer meat you have ever ate.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3116185 - 01/09/13 12:27 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
I'm sure they are fed protein pellets as most are on those ranches. That will be the best deer meat you have ever ate.

Haha, like grain fed cattle, yummy.

It will be fun target practice!

Page 1 of 11 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
124 registered (Tborne, bowdude, Redwing, DennyB, neighborsdog, stilllookin, 11 invisible) and 172 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93191 Topics
1088461 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.188 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.