Tndeer Logo

Page all of 11 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3116129 - 01/09/13 11:51 AM Well I'm going high fence hunting
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

...and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was planning to make the 6 hour drive up to Kansas this weekend to shoot a few does on public land to finish filling my freezer in Dallas. Yesterday my boss's, boss's, boss, who I've known for 12 years, calls me and says he wants me to join him on a hunt. Apparently one of our company's vendors bought nine trophy whitetail hunts on a high fence ranch a few hrs from Dallas. They invited four senior executives from our company and one of them had to cancel at the last minute. I'm surprised they invited me to fill the gap, but I guess they figured that I hunt, I'm single and I could easily make the time at the last minute. It's a 1000 acre high fence ranch with big bucks and a number of exotics. I have no idea what to expect, but my expectations are low. I just hope we don't drive around until we see one and then get out and shoot it. I really don't want to hunt over a timed feeder, either. I hope we at least use a stand or a blind or maybe even spot and stalk. I know that at least one of the executives that's going is overweight and may never have fired a gun in his life, so I just don't see how the hunt could be very challenging. I figured it would not be a good career move to decline an all expenses paid trip like this with three members of my company's senior executive team, so Friday I head out with a group of corporate executives who want big antlers on their walls. Hopefully none of them are SEC fans. I wonder if it's even safe to eat the meat from these bucks? I have a feeling that I'll probably be the only one who will show an interest in the meat.

I'll give a candid recap of the experience when I get back.

#3116135 - 01/09/13 12:00 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Well since it isn't fair chase hunting, don't think of it as such.... just go out and shoot one, I'm sure it will be fun in its own way and you probably won't get to ever do it again because of the $$$ involved. I doubt you will be one of those guys you see on TV raving about how it's "the hunt of a lifetime" or "the buck of a lifetime" but if I had a free fenced hunt I would do it just because I could, and it would add another conversation piece to my wall...also I would guess the meat is fine, at least better than most beef that you can buy. See if you can get some footage or something and I look forward to hearing the results.

#3116141 - 01/09/13 12:03 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
bjohnson
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX / Afghanistan

Just go out and have a good time...it is free lol.

#3116144 - 01/09/13 12:05 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

the meat will be good.. just have fun its still hunting. and it could lead into some good oppurtunities down the road. plus really and truly it is a hunt of a life time I mean not many people can afford to hunt in a high fence. the trip will be what you make of the trip.

#3116150 - 01/09/13 12:09 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: bjohnson]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: bjohnson
Just go out and have a good time...it is free lol.

Yep, I'd go. I don't think it is truly "hunting" in the essence I appreciate but maybe I'd feel differently if I lived in TX.

#3116151 - 01/09/13 12:10 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: deerhunter10]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Have fun and remember, this is a business trip. Meat will taste great.
#3116163 - 01/09/13 12:18 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: jb3]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

offer to take all of the meat off your bosses' hands. If they agree, then you won't feel any pressure to actually kill anything. I feel for you. I got put in a similar situation with a European Pheasant hunt. I ended up backing out of it at the last minute.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3116166 - 01/09/13 12:19 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: jb3]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

I hunted a high fenced in S. Texas once (2400 acres). It was a tougher hunt than the unfenced ranch in Texas I hunted. Kinda shocked me really. Not saying that's the norm but was my experience.

Saw lots of deer (probably 35 a hunt) and lots of big bucks but when bucks have to be 5.5+ it wasn't easy, just saying. I saw dozens of big younger bucks though. Dozens and dozens. I know all ranches aren't created equal.

The free range Texas hunt was 25k acres and I could have shot every sit had I wanted something in the 130's or 140's.

It was a neat experience to hunt S. Texas for sure but I think I'd get bored hunting that every day. I know that sounds weird.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3116169 - 01/09/13 12:20 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

I'm sure they are fed protein pellets as most are on those ranches. That will be the best deer meat you have ever ate.

#3116185 - 01/09/13 12:27 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
I'm sure they are fed protein pellets as most are on those ranches. That will be the best deer meat you have ever ate.

Haha, like grain fed cattle, yummy.

It will be fun target practice!

#3116204 - 01/09/13 12:38 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Relentless]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I'd go. I'd rather a business hunting trip than a golf trip.
#3116216 - 01/09/13 12:46 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Commercial venison that I've had in restaurants tastes bland. If one was serious about producing high end, commercial venison, you would have them on a diet of acorns and fruits. Those jamón iberico hogs from Spain fetch like $100 a pound because of their diets. The earth tones of venison (and free ranging game and livestock) are the assets of the meat.

#3116234 - 01/09/13 12:57 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

If its done right and the property is large enough you wont know its fenced. Just go and have fun like someone else said its free!

#3116240 - 01/09/13 12:59 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: ImThere]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: ImThere
If its done right and the property is large enough you wont know its fenced. Just go and have fun like someone else said its free!

This is what I told myself the last time my boss asked to visit a brothel in Reno \:D

#3116255 - 01/09/13 01:06 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

LOL ive heard some high fenced hunts can be a challenge just because the deer are looked at so much and see a lot of hunters. Will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Have fun anyway and im sure you will eat some good food on your stay.

Μολων λαβε

#3116312 - 01/09/13 01:42 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: in the dog house!]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

The expensive part comes when you shoot a real nice buck and want it mounted. Be careful to follow the TN regulations regarding transporting game from other states. The Hunting guide tells more on page 21. Good luck!
#3116315 - 01/09/13 01:44 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: in the dog house!]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Post a pic of that big rascal after you shoot him. High fence or not, you'll be hunting like a lot of the ranchers out there do, over corn. It's just a different type of hunting. Congrats on the opportunity.

#3116375 - 01/09/13 02:29 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: ]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

I would gladly take your spot. I've been to a high fence and had a blast. It's exciting to see so much game. Don't worry about what people think, do what you think is right and have fun. Anyone to turn down a free hunt is crazy in my opinion as long as its legal.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#3116400 - 01/09/13 02:43 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Relentless]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

If the deer are subjected to hunting(pressure) just like other deer why would a fence around the property make any difference? Some of these places have thousands and thousands of acres which would go beyond the area most of the deer on the property would ever go if they were free to do so. I'm not so convinced the high fence necessarily makes that much difference. If there is a difference on these hunts it would be the very limited hunting pressure these deer receive as a result of the management plan the owners use.

I know If i had the money, I'd sure fence my 235 acres........
Regarding your concern about the fairness of the hunt, I'd just refuse to hunt over a feeder or in any way that made me uncomfortable. I've hunted birds in those game farms and the hunt can be tailored to be as easy or hard as the hunter insists on. Of course since you are getting this hunt for free, you have to do it in a tactful way but that can be done. \:\)

#3116478 - 01/09/13 03:43 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
Wrangler95
16 Point

Loc: Celina,Tn

From what I've read in hunting mags,the high fence is just as important keeping inferior bucks out as keeping wanted bucks in.A 1000 acre area is a pretty good sized area to roam.I don't hunt on anyplace here at home that's a 1000 acres.
Psalms 37:16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked

#3116483 - 01/09/13 03:47 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Wrangler95]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It might be a lot tougher than you think.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3116490 - 01/09/13 03:51 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
Dodge Man
12 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser

Commercial venison that I've had in restaurants tastes bland. If one was serious about producing high end, commercial venison, you would have them on a diet of acorns and fruits. Those jamón iberico hogs from Spain fetch like $100 a pound because of their diets. The earth tones of venison (and free ranging game and livestock) are the assets of the meat.

Commercial venison would not be white-tail deer most of the time. More then likely it was Red Deer, but venison could be elk or any other kind of deer family.

http://www.talkinfowl.com/

#3116536 - 01/09/13 04:16 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: doubledownranch]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

I would go as a business decision and for the extra meat, I would ask could I shoot an exotic

#3116557 - 01/09/13 04:24 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: easy45]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Dodgeman is correct, the meat of any member of the deer family is venison.

I also wouold ask for an exotic. You can shoot a whitetail anywhere and the exotics make great mounts. See if they have axis deer or a black buck.

Morer on HF hunting: It can be challenging depending on how it is done. Also, whitetails are naturally more challenging however, you are hitting part of the rut and it is almost a given it will be from a house with a feeder. On 1,000 acres, they would almost have no choice. But, take a bow instead of a rifle and that will up the challenge factor.

Don't go with a preconceived notion. See what the deal is first. I have been on two highfence hunts. One was as tough and challenging as you could ask for. The other (in Texas) was a complete joke. My publisher had to order me to shoot. But check it out first. Heck, it is free and it is no disgrace to kill something if you want to.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3116634 - 01/09/13 05:13 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: bowriter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
I like the bow idea. If I had your opportunity, I'd carry my pistol and shoot something with it.

And if they have a bunch of exotic stuff there, you better not come back on this forum with a picture of a main frame 8 point whitetail unless it scores over 150" :-P

#3116736 - 01/09/13 06:03 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Crosshairy]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Go Hunting, If you or someone's never been actually on one
you don't know how it will be, If you was going to KS, you could have hunted over bait anyway.

Just cause your behind a fence you may never now it, enjoy

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3116767 - 01/09/13 06:18 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: landman]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I would go simply because as you said, the brass are going, take their meat, show them how to gut and skin, while you are talking about the latest project in the office. 1000 acres is way over a square mile so it won't be totally easy even if they are feeding in the senderos.

Have a great time, it could be a tremendouse opportunity.

#3116791 - 01/09/13 06:29 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: DaveB]
BigPete357
6 Point

Loc: Columbia,TN

Would you go out to dinner with them if they were paying? Would you eat meat they bought for you? If yes, then why not go.

They are pretty much buying you some meat, if you kill it.

If it's the high fence that bothers you, think of it this way: the chicken, beef, pork etc. we all eat probably couldn't escape either.

Take advantage of this opportunity, you will have a great time, make some contacts, and hopefully gain something from the whole deal.

That's what I would do.

#3116829 - 01/09/13 06:57 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Relentless]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Relentless

Haha, like grain fed cattle, yummy.

It will be fun target practice!

i would not "shoot fish in a barrel"

#3116871 - 01/09/13 07:24 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: redblood]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Most high fenced ranches have trail pics of most all the bucks on their ranch so their clients can pick according to their liking. One of my best friends manages Tellico Junction (high fence) here in town and they lead hunters around for 2-3 days to satisfy the hunting part of it while the whole time have spotters co-ordinating where the animal there after is and where not to take them. From what ive seen pics of Texas is full of thick jungles that if someone tried to locate a certain deer they would need a blood transfusion from all the briars. I bet Texas is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your gona get. Dont act like your "iffy" about that hunt. Youl have a blast. If you want more of a challenge stop by my house and get u a jar of SHINE and chug half of it and try and kill one with some ninja stars. Lol

P.s. Most of the high fenced ranches videos their clients hunts. Have fun.

Edited by Poleaxe (01/09/13 07:24 PM)

#3116897 - 01/09/13 07:33 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: easy45]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

It's free do it to it!

#3116901 - 01/09/13 07:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: W.Seay]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

Just let the spikes walk and have you some fun !

#3116908 - 01/09/13 07:41 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: easy45]
Phil1979
12 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

Originally Posted By: easy45
I would go as a business decision and for the extra meat, I would ask could I shoot an exotic

X2. Have fun.

#3117667 - 01/10/13 11:55 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Phil1979]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Id go have fun and not worry about it,post pics!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3119054 - 01/11/13 10:06 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Rubberduck270]
RiverBuck10
8 Point

Loc: Hamilton, Co TN

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
Post a pic of that big rascal after you shoot him. High fence or not, you'll be hunting like a lot of the ranchers out there do, over corn. It's just a different type of hunting. Congrats on the opportunity.

X2 Have fun and please post a pic! I cant wait to see it!!

#3119531 - 01/11/13 06:03 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: RiverBuck10]
tarsalgland
4 Point

Loc: hamilton co.

good luck!!
#3119641 - 01/11/13 07:13 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: tarsalgland]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Sounds like a good trip. Do us a favor and take lots of pics.

#3119865 - 01/11/13 09:04 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: timberjack86]
Vermin93
12 Point

MHFBD - Monster High Fence Buck Down. 20 points, in the neighborhood of 200 inches.

Pictures and story to come in a day or two when I get home. Wow do they feed you well at these ranches. We are eating like kings.

#3119873 - 01/11/13 09:09 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Congrats on the "trophy of a lifetime" \:D may be fenced but you don't get to go on a free fence hunt every day, I look forward to hearing the story and seeing pics.

#3120798 - 01/12/13 05:38 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Vermin93
12 Point

#3120817 - 01/12/13 05:43 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Nice looking buck, you getting it mounted?

#3120834 - 01/12/13 05:54 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
stryker
12 Point

Loc: jonesborough, TN

great looking. Buck congrats
#3120843 - 01/12/13 05:58 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: stryker]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Yup,its a deer thats for sure..

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3121014 - 01/12/13 07:43 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: cecil30-30]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Awesome !!!

Team Peapicker

#3121044 - 01/12/13 07:55 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: TX300mag]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Be some good horns for a set of rattling horns. Lol. Congrats. Good looking deer.
#3121473 - 01/13/13 06:52 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poleaxe]
WGK
WILD BILL
12 Point

Loc: loudon

Wow!! Thats a stud congrats

#3121486 - 01/13/13 07:05 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: WGK]
Mossy Oak
8 Point

Loc: Montgomery Co.

That's a heck of a buck. I would love to hear about your experience when you get the chance.

Team Release and Catch Bowfishing

http://www.dirtnapgear.com/

#3121666 - 01/13/13 09:39 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Mossy Oak]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Mee too,and Il liketo know what that cost???

#3121676 - 01/13/13 09:49 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

cool

#3121678 - 01/13/13 09:49 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: diamond hunter
Mee too,and Il liketo know what that cost???
I dont think it cost him a thing

#3121690 - 01/13/13 09:54 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Football Hunter]
diamond hunter
6 Point

I know I read the post,what I meant to say is how much does a hunt like that cost for me to buy?

#3121709 - 01/13/13 10:03 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

We're heading home today. I will definitely share the experience when I get home. Lots to share, for sure...

#3123862 - 01/14/13 06:46 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

I'm ready to hear the story. Great looking buck. And congrats.

#3123898 - 01/14/13 07:03 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: hunter drew]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Very nice buck and cant wait to hear the story!

Μολων λαβε

#3123991 - 01/14/13 08:02 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: in the dog house!]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Cool man, cant wait to hear the story. Hopefully you will not have to pay taxes on it!!!!!!! Thats like a $25k gift in Obamas eyes!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3124024 - 01/14/13 08:17 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AT Hiker]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Congrats on the MHFB...crazy looking deer...look forward to the details

#3124195 - 01/14/13 09:53 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Rem700300
Button

Loc: Shelby,Tn

1. If someone offered to let you hunt some exclusive hunting club on the Mississippi River ie. Giles Island you'd have no problem with it? Free ranging but same as high fence.
2. 1,000 acres is not a can hunt. Good luck finding a deer that meets the ranch's management plan.
3. If you don't want to go don't go! There are plenty of people here that would take your spot.
4. Texas is different than the south east US. Most properties are to dry for food plots so they run corn feeders and protein.
5. Don't hate on someone else and their style of hunting. We as hunters should all stick together.

#3124242 - 01/14/13 10:21 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Rem700300]
LIL JOKER
14 Point

Loc: tennessee

Originally Posted By: Rem700300
1. If someone offered to let you hunt some exclusive hunting club on the Mississippi River ie. Giles Island you'd have no problem with it? Free ranging but same as high fence.
2. 1,000 acres is not a can hunt. Good luck finding a deer that meets the ranch's management plan.
3. If you don't want to go don't go! There are plenty of people here that would take your spot.
4. Texas is different than the south east US. Most properties are to dry for food plots so they run corn feeders and protein.
5. Don't hate on someone else and their style of hunting. We as hunters should all stick together.

i agree with number 1...we have water on all sides so i guess we are all fenced in lol

#3124287 - 01/14/13 11:11 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Rem700300]
Vermin93
12 Point

Sitting in a box blind over a food plot with a protein feeder in a 1000 acre pen that's chock full of big bucks is not hunting, it's shooting. I know - I just did it. 4 guys shot a 170, 204, 205, 211, 234 and a 243 in less than 48 hrs. 2 of the guys saw their bucks from afar one morning and went out and shot them that afternoon. Elk, stag, fallow, axis, audad, blackbuck and oryx running (more like walking) all over the darn place. I must be an elitist WMA hunting snob because if I had a good rifle and a 2-day window I believe I could have killed any animal I wanted to in that pen. I should have brought my bow. At least then it wouldn't have been so embarrassingly easy. The deer had tags stapled in their ears, for crying out loud. The good news is that I got 4 big bucks worth of venison out of it. Only 1 other guy actually wanted any meat. The rest just wanted their antlers. If I put this deer on the wall I may have to put a plaque underneath that says "Shot in high fence - easiest hunt ever". This ranch claims they've got the genetics to be able to grow 200 inch bucks in 2 1/2 years, which will bring the price down for people to feed their antler addictions. They say it will also allow them to grow 400 inch freaks in 4 1/2 years. Their motto ought to be "Hunts for guys who can't hunt".

Typical morning:

Step 1: Wake up, pee, get cup of coffee
Step 2: Get dressed, grab rifle and binos
Step 3: Get in Polaris ATV
Step 4: Enter Jurassic Park through high fence gate and watch animals run all over the place as guide speeds through the ranch on way to blind
Step 5: Get driven right up to nice, elevated box blind
Step 6: Enter elevated box blind and sit in comfortable office chair
Step 7: Stare out box blind windows at food plot and protein feeder
Step 8: Watch countless exotics come and go from the protein feeder. Take pictures because you feel like you are in a zoo.
Step 9: Watch various whitetail bucks come and go from the food plot
Step 10: Pass on several nice shooter bucks because guide wants you to shoot something bigger
Step 11: Don't talk when a group of whitetail does enter food plot because they are basically the only truly wary animals in the high fence and they will spook
Step 12: Watch monster 200+ inch buck enter food plot to check out wary does. Realize that inside the high fence there are only genetically engineered freak non-typical bucks that have overdosed on protein.
Step 13: Wait until monster buck turns broadside
Step 14: Shoot buck
Step 15: Exit blind, scare off any animals that didn't run away when you shot, make sure no psycho juvenile bull elk are around, approach dead buck, take pictures (hide tag in buck's ear so it's not so obvious)
Step 16: Watch guides load buck on back of Polaris
Step 17: Ride back to house and exit Jurassic Park through high fence gate
Step 18: Remove hunting clothes and fold them up nicely since you didn't come remotely close to breaking a sweat
Step 19: Get another cup of coffee and enjoy an awesome hearty breakfast made by really great cook
Step 20: Wait until others in group return with their monster bucks, then take pictures and grab a nap until afternoon hunt while guides field dress monster bucks

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

#3124290 - 01/14/13 11:13 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Rob R.
12 Point

Loc: Collierville TN.

WOW! What an awesome buck. Congrats on a deer of a lifetime!

Patron Member of the National Rifle Association Of America

#3124295 - 01/14/13 11:21 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: LIL JOKER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: LIL JOKER

i agree with number 1...we have water on all sides so i guess we are all fenced in lol

I'd disagree. Living near the MS River, seeing deer swimming across is is a common site. If you scout along the banks of the river, you'll see where numerous, high traffic deer trails enter and exit the river.

I'm not being argumentative, just making a point.

#3124299 - 01/14/13 11:31 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

Sitting in a box blind over a food plot with a protein feeder in a 1000 acre pen that's chock full of big bucks is not hunting, it's shooting. I know - I just did it. 4 guys shot a 170, 204, 205, 211, 234 and a 243 in less than 48 hrs. 2 of the guys saw their bucks from afar one morning and went out and shot them that afternoon. Elk, stag, fallow, axis, audad, blackbuck and oryx running (more like walking) all over the darn place. I must be an elitist WMA hunting snob because if I had a good rifle and a 2-day window I believe I could have killed any animal I wanted to in that pen. I should have brought my bow. At least then it wouldn't have been so embarrassingly easy. The deer had tags stapled in their ears, for crying out loud. The good news is that I got 4 big bucks worth of venison out of it. Only 1 other guy actually wanted any meat. The rest just wanted their antlers. If I put this deer on the wall I may have to put a plaque underneath that says "Shot in high fence - easiest hunt ever". This ranch claims they've got the genetics to be able to grow 200 inch bucks in 2 1/2 years, which will bring the price down for people to feed their antler addictions. They say it will also allow them to grow 400 inch freaks in 4 1/2 years. Their motto ought to be "Hunts for guys who can't hunt".

Typical morning:

Step 1: Wake up, pee, get cup of coffee
Step 2: Get dressed, grab rifle and binos
Step 3: Get in Polaris ATV
Step 4: Enter Jurassic Park through high fence gate and watch animals run all over the place as guide speeds through the ranch on way to blind
Step 5: Get driven right up to nice, elevated box blind
Step 6: Enter elevated box blind and sit in comfortable office chair
Step 7: Stare out box blind windows at food plot and protein feeder
Step 8: Watch countless exotics come and go from the protein feeder. Take pictures because you feel like you are in a zoo.
Step 9: Watch various whitetail bucks come and go from the food plot
Step 10: Pass on several nice shooter bucks because guide wants you to shoot something bigger
Step 11: Don't talk when a group of whitetail does enter food plot because they are basically the only truly wary animals in the high fence and they will spook
Step 12: Watch monster 200+ inch buck enter food plot to check out wary does. Realize that inside the high fence there are only genetically engineered freak non-typical bucks that have overdosed on protein.
Step 13: Wait until monster buck turns broadside
Step 14: Shoot buck
Step 15: Exit blind, scare off any animals that didn't run away when you shot, make sure no psycho juvenile bull elk are around, approach dead buck, take pictures (hide tag in buck's ear so it's not so obvious)
Step 16: Watch guides load buck on back of Polaris
Step 17: Ride back to house and exit Jurassic Park through high fence gate
Step 18: Remove hunting clothes and fold them up nicely since you didn't come remotely close to breaking a sweat
Step 19: Get another cup of coffee and enjoy an awesome hearty breakfast made by really great cook
Step 20: Wait until others in group return with their monster bucks, then take pictures and grab a nap until afternoon hunt while guides field dress monster bucks

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Wow. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I think I know how you might feel based upon your description. Well.... It is what it is and I am glad you got the meat that you wanted/needed anyway. 4 big bucks is quite a bit of meat.

#3124363 - 01/15/13 05:40 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Yep, glad you got all that meat. If you think about it, let us know if you notice any difference in taste. I'd just be curious to know is all.

A buddy of mine went to Texas to some sort of Fleet Mgt show, one of those "business trips". Someway, somehow they were able to work an angle and one of the vendors knew someone that allowed them to hunt on their ranch. This vendor must have not been nearly as successful as the business Vermin is in though because my buddy was only allowed to shoot a "cull" buck and it couldn't have more than 6 points. It was the first and probably only time my buddy would ever get to do something like this so he was cool with it of course - and it was FREE for the most part. However, while sitting in the blind with his guide the guide kept pointing out deer to him saying, "You see that one there, that's a $25,000 deer. You see that one there, that's a $50,000 deer. We probably wouldn't let someone shoot that one. If someone wanted to shoot that one, we'd discourage it, but it'd be about a $15,000 deer." He just kept running through all these scenarios and prices. It was pretty interesting to see how deer hunting in TX is primarily a business. My buddy did end up killing a wide, tall 6 pointer that I doubt any Tennessean would pass up.

#3124371 - 01/15/13 05:47 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BlountArrow]
outdoors crazy
4 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tennessee

Congrats. Thats probably a once in a lifetime experience. Hang them antlers proudly!
#3124487 - 01/15/13 07:47 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

So did everyone make fun of the guy that shot the "little" 170" deer?? Like you, I would have done it if it was free but can't imagine anyone paying money for something like that.

#3124806 - 01/15/13 11:48 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Dbllunger]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Dbllunger
So did everyone make fun of the guy that shot the "little" 170" deer?? Like you, I would have done it if it was free but can't imagine anyone paying money for something like that.
\:\)

#3124961 - 01/15/13 01:23 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Glad you got the meat from those bucks. It makes me kind of sick how many people are so crazed about the bone on top of a bucks head that they would spend thousands just to go in a pen and shoot the deer, with no interest in the meat at all. I can't stand antler hunters, I mean I LOVE antlers and bucks with good racks, but if the bone is all you want then go shed hunting or something! Oh wait, shed hunting is too much work. Rather ride in an ATV to an elevated suite and wait for the big boy to come in to the feeder.

But since you got to go on that hunt for free (I wouldn't hesitate to if offered) then that's pretty cool and it looks like you got a nice rack and lots of good meat from it. Congrats again

#3124970 - 01/15/13 01:30 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: catman529]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

So, did you add up the total net worth of your freezer meat? \:\)
You'll have to tell us how it feels to eat a $2,500 backstrap.

#3125029 - 01/15/13 02:06 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BlountArrow]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Yep, glad you got all that meat. If you think about it, let us know if you notice any difference in taste. I'd just be curious to know is all.

A buddy of mine went to Texas to some sort of Fleet Mgt show, one of those "business trips". Someway, somehow they were able to work an angle and one of the vendors knew someone that allowed them to hunt on their ranch. This vendor must have not been nearly as successful as the business Vermin is in though because my buddy was only allowed to shoot a "cull" buck and it couldn't have more than 6 points. It was the first and probably only time my buddy would ever get to do something like this so he was cool with it of course - and it was FREE for the most part. However, while sitting in the blind with his guide the guide kept pointing out deer to him saying, "You see that one there, that's a $25,000 deer. You see that one there, that's a $50,000 deer. We probably wouldn't let someone shoot that one. If someone wanted to shoot that one, we'd discourage it, but it'd be about a $15,000 deer." He just kept running through all these scenarios and prices. It was pretty interesting to see how deer hunting in TX is primarily a business. My buddy did end up killing a wide, tall 6 pointer that I doubt any Tennessean would pass up.
I doubt the majority of Texas hunting is like that.

#3125041 - 01/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Football Hunter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

I might have to disagree, maybe not the whole state, but make no mistake its BIG business in Texas. You ever been there? I haven't. I bet for vast regions it is more the norm than the exception. Vermin could probably tell us better since he lives in Dallas and went on the hunt.

Edited by BlountArrow (01/15/13 02:32 PM)

#3125213 - 01/15/13 04:16 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BlountArrow]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

....ie. Giles Island .....Free ranging but same as high fence.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Water to deer is just part of life. Deer will hit it in a split second, especially if it's the difference between life and death. I have documented many deer swimming the MS River while out surveying in a boat. One was a 4-5 month old fawn and she did not have any problem swimming from MS to AR right behind her mother. Carry on.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3125227 - 01/15/13 04:25 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Sitting in a box blind over a food plot with a protein feeder in a 1000 acre pen that's chock full of big bucks is not hunting, it's shooting. I know - I just did it.
Finally a hunter that does not let his/her ego get in the way of the truth. I agree with you 110%. I have several friends/acquaintances that have done it as well and their opinion is the same as yours.

Their motto ought to be "Hunts for guys who can't hunt".
Amen! \:\)

Having said that, I am by no means slamming your high fence trip. Congrats on your experience, the circumstances leading up to the hunt (business trip with bosses etc) would most likely result in most invitees going, whether they agreed with high fence hunting or not. Again, congrats and thanks for being honest and sharing your experience.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3125297 - 01/15/13 05:14 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Andy S.]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

I would go if I were in your shoes, but I really believe I would be miserable- except at meal times.

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#3125363 - 01/15/13 05:53 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

congrats nice buck great hat

go irish

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3125464 - 01/15/13 06:34 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Deer Assassin]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
congrats nice buck great hat

go irish
Yeah,go get some players that can tackle \:\)

#3125722 - 01/15/13 08:29 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Football Hunter]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

I got tired of killing 200" bucks, so I hang my MZ in TN now. \:\)

Congrats on a great buck. That's not representative of Texas as a whole, but it is representative of what a lot of Texas is willing to sell their soul to be...

Team Peapicker

#3125953 - 01/15/13 10:50 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Vermin93
12 Point

High fence buck at kill site in food plot. Feeder in background and elevated box blind in distant background. The Polaris dropped me off right at the blind. Zero scent control needed. The only skill required was a little patience and the ability to make a 120 yd shot while staring at a big rack. My Thompson Center ICON chambered in 30 TC and shooting 150 GR SST's is 4 for 4 on nice bucks. It's easily the most accurate rifle I have. Check out that cool ear tag! I do think the bent right G1 is pretty neat. Buck gross scored just over 205.

Edited by Vermin93 (01/15/13 11:51 PM)

#3125983 - 01/15/13 11:13 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Vermin93
12 Point

Shed from a freak buck they call medusa. They found the other shed the next day. They were ridiculously heavy. I have no idea how that buck carried them around. His neck must have been huge.

Shed from another freak buck on the ranch

Edited by Vermin93 (01/16/13 12:18 AM)

#3126013 - 01/16/13 12:08 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Vermin93
12 Point

My 205"

a 211"

a 243" freak

the haul from day 1, including an audad and a red stag that was shot by accident

left to right: 170, 243, 205, 211, audad, red stag

#3126018 - 01/16/13 12:16 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Vermin93
12 Point

A really neat 204" that was taken on day two. High fence in background.

#3126047 - 01/16/13 05:09 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
double browtine
8 Point

Loc: Cheatham/Montgomery County

The mass on that 204" is incredible!
#3126160 - 01/16/13 07:48 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: double browtine]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Do you know how much somebody would pay for one of those hunts and where is it??

#3126180 - 01/16/13 08:07 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

How was the Red Stag "accidently" shot? I suppose with Whitetails running around with that much bone on their head a Stag would fit right in.
Congrats on your monster!

#3126200 - 01/16/13 08:21 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: bigtex]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

You should research xylazine, ketamine, and Telazol very carefully. All three of these drugs are used on captive deer.

Xylazine is very common in the captive cervid industry, but is not approved for use in food producing animals.

Ketamine has a very short half life and is approved in food producing species.

Telazol is still present in the meat of animals 14 days after the initial injection. In essence, if you eat that meat, you are getting a dose of Telazol. The Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank of the United sates suggests that meat producing livestock not be ingested by humans for 365 days after the animal has been injected with Telazol.

This is something the captive cervid industry wants to keep hidden. However, when I took my certification class on chemical immobilization of wildlife, the majority of people in the class were deer farmers. They use all three of theses drugs, and some other more dangerous ones on their captive deer on a routine basis. How do you think they got that ear tag in that deer?

Enjoy those backstraps!

#3126203 - 01/16/13 08:23 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1045&context=icwdmccwhcnews

You can read a little more here

#3126314 - 01/16/13 09:58 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
RiverBuck10
8 Point

Loc: Hamilton, Co TN

That is just crazy!! Congrats on a fine buck and for posting pics about the hunt!!

#3126407 - 01/16/13 10:59 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1045&context=icwdmccwhcnews

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. What I really want to know is what the deer are being injected with to cause such rapid antler growth and unusual deformation. I've gotta believe there are some types of hormones involved, but I've never heard what they might be or how safe they are for human consumption.

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#3126563 - 01/16/13 12:04 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: diamond hunter
Do you know how much somebody would pay for one of those hunts and where is it??

It is a new ranch that just opened for business a few months ago. It's near the Oklahoma - Texas border. They told us that their prices are quite a bit less than most other high fence ranches because they are trying to build a client base. I have no idea what our host paid for the animals that our group took. I hope he got a package deal.

Remember - these are relatively short "hunts" (typically 2 days) where you just go in and shoot what you want and then you're done. The only real adrenaline rush for me was the few brief minutes when the big buck entered the food plot and I shot it. A very quick "high", so to speak. Compare that brief experience to a week-long, pack-in mule deer or elk or moose or bear hunt and I just don't see how any hunter with a sense of adventure could prefer to spend their money this way. I guess if you are wealthy and you or your clients have very little free time then this is a way to get some quick entertainment and have something to show off to your acquaintances. Personally, I'm more proud of my first ever bow kill this year (a doe that I hunted on public land) than I am of the monster buck I shot in the high fence. It's just the way I think, I guess...

Whitetail Pricing:
• 150”-159” = $4500
• 160”-169” = $5500
• 170”-179” = $6500
• 180”-189” = $7500
• 190”–199” = $8500
• 200”- 214” = $10,000
• 215”-224” = $11,000
• 225” – 234” = $12,000
• 235”-244” = $13,000
• 245”-249” = $14,000
• 250” – 264” = $15,000
• 265” – 274” = $16,500
• 275” – 284” = $17,500
• 285” – 294” = $18,500
• 295” – 300” = $20,000
• 300” + = call for pricing

Exotic Pricing:
Elk Bull $4500+
Axis Deer $2750+
Red Stag Bull $4500+
Blackbuck Antelope $2500+
Fallow Deer $2750+
Aoudad Sheep $2750+
Texas Dahl Ram $1000+
Corsican Ram $1000+
Black Hawaiian Ram $1000+
Scimitar Horn Oryx $3500

#3126595 - 01/16/13 12:23 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

I will have to say, the fenced south Texas ranch I hunted had nothing like that on it. They had a bunch of 130-150" bucks and a handful of 170" or so. All those 170" were 5.5+ and we never saw them, just helicopter pics of them. In fact, we looked over a bunch of mature bucks that we never saw in stand.

The guy I went with said on some late season hunts there he had been on they actually did deer drives with the guides to drive them out of the brush.

I hunted 3 days before I saw a mature 5.5+ that met the management criteria on that ranch, which was any mature 8 or 9pt regardless of score. Probably only saw 3 or 4 mature bucks all weekend. Lots of 3 and 4 year olds. Lots of them.

Edited by AlabamaSwamper (01/16/13 12:24 PM)

#3126737 - 01/16/13 01:35 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. What I really want to know is what the deer are being injected with to cause such rapid antler growth and unusual deformation. I've gotta believe there are some types of hormones involved, but I've never heard what they might be or how safe they are for human consumption.

Many times, these deer are the result of intensive line breeding. What that means is intensive in breeding. Daughters are bred back to fathers, granddaughters back to the grandfather, and so on. It decreases the genetic diversity. This is not an uncommon practice in the livestock industry. You may also hear it called grading up.

#3126746 - 01/16/13 01:40 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

I will have to say, the fenced south Texas ranch I hunted had nothing like that on it. They had a bunch of 130-150" bucks and a handful of 170" or so. All those 170" were 5.5+ and we never saw them, just helicopter pics of them. In fact, we looked over a bunch of mature bucks that we never saw in stand.

The guy I went with said on some late season hunts there he had been on they actually did deer drives with the guides to drive them out of the brush.

I hunted 3 days before I saw a mature 5.5+ that met the management criteria on that ranch, which was any mature 8 or 9pt regardless of score. Probably only saw 3 or 4 mature bucks all weekend. Lots of 3 and 4 year olds. Lots of them.

You hunted an entirely different type of operation. One where it sounds like they manage what they have rather than purchasing animals of a certain size for shooters who want to kill a certain size animal. From the sounds of things, the hunt the OP went on was on a ranch where they had purchased deer from breeders, transported them to their property, then turned them loose inside the fence. You hunt sounds more like a ranch that fenced in the deer they had, and then managed harvest to get what they wanted. The OP's hunt sounds like a canned operation where you can order in advance a deer of a particular size, and it will be waiting when you get there. In these canned operations, they will buy deer from breeders, tranquilize them, then transport them to the ranch where the "hunt" will take place.

#3127047 - 01/16/13 04:34 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

You are correct mostly. It was 2400 acres that was actually fenced on 3 sides by the neighbors so they decided to go ahead and fence the front along the hwy.

They did have a small breeding program if you want to call it that but it was deer from the ranch. They would capture every 3 years the best 2/3 year old (normally a 140"-150" 6x6 or more) and put it in a big pen with does. They wanted bucks at least 5x5 on the ranch, hence the cheap management hunt for anything under regardless of score. Buddy shot his, a 152" stud 9pt.

After 3 years they would turn the buck loose (actually just opened the gate) back into the ranch.

Owners were honest and said after 10 years they really didn't see a difference. Their numbers of anything over 5x5 typical bucks hadn't really changed. Neither had their numbers of mature bucks that were less than 5x5.

They did feed protein but no hunting was done over those. They actually turned those feeders off during the season so the deer would visit the corn feeders. I honestly think without those, you wouldn't see a deer. That stuff is as bad or worse than pines and the entire 2400 acres was that way.

I think the biggest scoring buck they had killed was in the 180's.

#3127057 - 01/16/13 04:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

The sheer number of 3-4 year old bucks in the 130's was mind boggling though. Mostly 8,9,10pts. Some had kickers and such but nothing to really add to score. Those were off limits. Only 5.5+ confirmed by your guide was allowed. If it aged younger, it was his fault.

#3127139 - 01/16/13 05:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Congrats!

#3127262 - 01/16/13 06:48 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: timberjack86]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

That's a beast no matter what the circumstances so congrats. High fence wouldn't be my cup of tea either but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do when it comes to business.

#3127317 - 01/16/13 07:17 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

That's ridiculously expensive to just shoot a captive deer.
#3127872 - 01/17/13 06:46 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Relentless]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

shoot straight and enjoy the meat. Texas has the strictest regs on high fence deer in the country. Meat will be the best farm raise venison in the country.

#3127889 - 01/17/13 07:09 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: nodog]
BigPete357
6 Point

Loc: Columbia,TN

wow huge bucks. enjoy the meat!
#3128011 - 01/17/13 09:06 AM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: BigPete357]
Hunt72
Button

Loc: TN

A couple of folks thought this was the norm in Texas. I grew up hunting in Texas and killed maybe 20 or so deer there. We hunted in the Hill Country (central TX), and while deer were certainly plentiful, they were not big. (It wasn't a fenced hunt, but it was a 2000 acre ranch that some distant relative owned, so FREE)

This season here in TN I killed a doe that was bigger than any deer I ever shot in Texas, and a 7 point that was as big as any we killed there.

So, while it's true that everything is BIGGER in TX, and certainly the BBQ brisket is better, the deer there in "normal" hunting locations anywhere outside of South Texas or fenced hunts weren't any better than they are here.

Would hate for some of you to spend money to go down there and be surprised!

#3131830 - 01/20/13 01:47 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

You should research xylazine, ketamine, and Telazol very carefully. All three of these drugs are used on captive deer.

Xylazine is very common in the captive cervid industry, but is not approved for use in food producing animals.

Ketamine has a very short half life and is approved in food producing species.

Telazol is still present in the meat of animals 14 days after the initial injection. In essence, if you eat that meat, you are getting a dose of Telazol. The Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank of the United sates suggests that meat producing livestock not be ingested by humans for 365 days after the animal has been injected with Telazol.

This is something the captive cervid industry wants to keep hidden. However, when I took my certification class on chemical immobilization of wildlife, the majority of people in the class were deer farmers. They use all three of theses drugs, and some other more dangerous ones on their captive deer on a routine basis. How do you think they got that ear tag in that deer?

Enjoy those backstraps!

Well, DH, now it's decision time. For the first time in 4 years I paid someone to process a deer. I'm working on multiple home projects and didn't want to take the time to process 4 deer. It cost me a lot because I had about 1/3 of the meat done into breakfast sausage, kielbasa and summer sausage. So the question is, do I eat it or feed it to the Texas hog population? I'm a big believer in being as well informed as possible, but I have to say that I wish you had never written that post. Ignorance would be bliss... ;\)

#3131966 - 01/20/13 03:51 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Sorry vermin. This is the dark under belly no one talks about when it comes to deer farming. You may be fine, as long as those deer hadn't been drugged recently. I hate the idea of throwing any meat away, and am not suggesting you do that at all. Just thought you should know how those nice folks that run those types of operation do things! I bet they never once mentioned drugging and handling those deer, or buying and selling them at auction like cattle. No telling if your boss ordered a certain number of deer of a certain size or if they had them on hand.

I didn't mention carfentanol (sp). They would have used it on the red stag you had a picture of. For lack of a better description, it is wicked. A few drops absorbed through your skin can kill you rather quickly! Not sure how long it stays in the meat, but I am thinking 90-120 days.

In the eternal words of Alton Brown.....Good Eats!

#3131979 - 01/20/13 03:59 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Maybe just leave it in the freezer for a minimum of 6 months before eating.

#3131985 - 01/20/13 04:01 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

I bet you age your scotch in the bottle don't you poser! LOL

#3132040 - 01/20/13 05:05 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I bet you age your scotch in the bottle don't you poser! LOL

It will break down some even while frozen. The sheer amount of meat, however, would make me nervous. If it is indeed pumped full of chemicals. Considering he has ~300 lbs of it, that's a lot if exposure even if it is tiny amounts.

Maybe you could get some samples tested? For the amount of meat, it might be worth the cost.

Edited by Poser (01/20/13 05:06 PM)

#3132184 - 01/20/13 06:36 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Poser]
diamond hunter
6 Point

So I like to crappie fish andI heard Weiss Lake was contaminated and the crappie had a certain chemical in it.I was there in the fall and afterwards my friend called and said "hey,did you eat any of those crappie" I said yes already ate a mess of them.He said they were contaminated,I said,I wish you had told me sooner....Those deer are kinda like that,and Im not going to Weiss in the spring for the first time in 6 springs.

#3132186 - 01/20/13 06:37 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
diamond hunter
6 Point

I think they had PCP's or PCb's dont know.

#3132295 - 01/20/13 07:49 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: diamond hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
Could you possibly just call the ranch and find out how recently they'd been drugged? It seems like you'd have a reasonable chance of them just telling you how long they are on the ranch prior to the hunt.

#3132502 - 01/20/13 09:43 PM Re: Well I'm going high fence hunting [Re: Crosshairy]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

For those that haven't been to Texas, the Hill Country has a lot of high fenced ranches, with a good number that have exotics. Some are huge and some are just a few hundred acres. Most of the ranches that don't have exotics have regular livestock fencing. South Texas, well, between Houston/Galveston and Corpus Christie is much more agricultural but has a lot of the same as the Hill Country. It's pretty neat, as in different than here in the Southeast.

I've spent some time there working, not hunting. It isn't my cup of tea. Leases for regular 'ol whitetails run from about $1,250 to $2,500 per gun. It can go up quickly if there are limited guns and good animals (for there). I don't remember hearing about leases per acre, it was always per gun. I like the feel of the area and all of the history much more than the hunting part. I would like to go on a Nilgai hunt one of these days, though. I've heard they're dang good tablefare.

Vermin, good story and pictures. I'm glad you had the chance to go.

Page all of 11 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (JoshDosMil, rghill, EJ1, FrontierGander, Crosshairy, meat hunter) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.