Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3116086 - 01/09/13 11:09 AM My last kill of the season, strange discovery.
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

So I went Saturday to try and top off the freezer for the year. I had been seeing about 10 does and I was hoping to take two. I only managed one due to being busted by her when she was sniffing the trunk of my tree. When she saw me and blew/flagged/ran, she stopped about 50 yds trying to encourage the others to flee. I dropped her and the woods lit alive with running deer. Now, to my discovery.

Having taken down somewhere around 50 deer in my life and processing every single one myself I would say I'm pretty familiar with whats inside one. This time however, I made a strange discovery. Right in the middle of lower cavity she had two football shaped water bags about the size of a nerf toy football. After a closer look they were attached to the genital tract and it was evident what I had found. It appears she was pregnant. Now I wish I had taken a different one, but obviously could not have foreseen this. Guess that's just what happens in late season kills. Anyone else see this?

Edited by Urban_Hunter (01/09/13 11:10 AM)

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3116092 - 01/09/13 11:14 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Fairly common for this time of year I reckon. Not that I've ever seen it tho, b/c does are off limits during rifle season in my unit A county.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3116106 - 01/09/13 11:25 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah, I hate that, too. I killed a big fat Squirrel last day of the season last year and, same thing. It happens.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3116110 - 01/09/13 11:28 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: MUP]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

ImThere killed a big doe on the last day of season and I noticed the sac that wasn't there in my deer that I killed, so I cut it open and found 2 fawns. Here is one of them -

Don't feel bad about it though, she would not have produced any more fawns whether you had killed her in early or late season.

...since last deer season

#3116120 - 01/09/13 11:45 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

That is strange but I am sure it is pretty common. Like catman said, she wouldn't be having fawns next sring weather you killed her sept. 22 or Jan. 5. Chances are good that the others were pregnant too.
#3116164 - 01/09/13 12:18 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: woodsman87]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Chances are good that the others were pregnant too.

yep

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3116251 - 01/09/13 01:03 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: stik]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

content Online
Yeah, really don't matter if you kill her early season or late season, fact of the matter is she will not produce a fawn either way.
#3116275 - 01/09/13 01:18 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: darn2ten]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Like stated pretty common this time of year. I killed one in Dickson co a few years back the last wknd that actually had 3 fetus in her.
#3116391 - 01/09/13 02:38 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Winchester]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

It's a chance you take. I have a friend that won't kill a doe past muzzleloader season. To each his own. Other does are pregnant and will carry on the circle of life.

#3116427 - 01/09/13 03:03 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
Jaahspike
4 Point

Loc: Wilson/Crockett

Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter
So I went Saturday to try and top off the freezer for the year. I had been seeing about 10 does and I was hoping to take two. I only managed one due to being busted by her when she was sniffing the trunk of my tree. When she saw me and blew/flagged/ran, she stopped about 50 yds trying to encourage the others to flee. I dropped her and the woods lit alive with running deer. Now, to my discovery.

Having taken down somewhere around 50 deer in my life and processing every single one myself I would say I'm pretty familiar with whats inside one. This time however, I made a strange discovery. Right in the middle of lower cavity she had two football shaped water bags about the size of a nerf toy football. After a closer look they were attached to the genital tract and it was evident what I had found. It appears she was pregnant. Now I wish I had taken a different one, but obviously could not have foreseen this. Guess that's just what happens in late season kills. Anyone else see this?

Glad/sad to read this. I killed a doe this past weekend and my brother and I found the same thing. We had no clue what it was but my brother said that is probably what it was. It is sad but she will eat the same. Better for our families that I killed her instead of coyotes or a vehicle and the meat ruin.

#3116448 - 01/09/13 03:24 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Jaahspike]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

If you're in unit L, it's actually a good thing; helps manage the herd size.

#3116469 - 01/09/13 03:34 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BMan]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BMan
doesn't matter if shes pregnant when you kill her, if she's dead she won't produce any more fawns either way.

#3116598 - 01/09/13 04:46 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: catman529]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

That is where the data comes from that determines when the rut peaked-fetal aging or development. I assume y'all ate them. I have been told the meat is very tender.

Had a bit of debate a week or so ago with M.R. James, founder of Bowhunter magazine re when to kill does. His argument was, if you wait until late to kill them, you run the risk of killing a pregnant one. Therefore, you kill three deer,one of which should be a buck.

My argument was, what the heck difference could it possibly make when you kill a doe? Either way, she can't have any fawns. Seems like common sense to me.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3116772 - 01/09/13 06:21 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: catman529]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: BMan
doesn't matter if shes pregnant when you kill her, if she's dead she won't produce any more fawns either way.

Right on Catman

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3116799 - 01/09/13 06:36 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BigPete357
6 Point

Loc: Columbia,TN

confused Online
lots of does are pregnant this time of year, so it pretty common.

you were hoping to kill two anyway weren't you? ;\)

#3116884 - 01/09/13 07:28 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Jaahspike]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

content Online
i never understood why hunters have such a strong opinion about shooting deer late in the season because they are pregnant. whats the difference in shooting that same deer early in the season? either way its dead and its would be fawns were never born.
#3116922 - 01/09/13 07:47 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: birddog]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

content Online
This is one with twins last year that my brother killed and we found when gutting her. It was a first for me.

#3117033 - 01/09/13 09:02 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Jaahspike]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

thats why i kill my does early in the season
#3117396 - 01/10/13 08:37 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

It doesn't matter at all whether she died before or after she been bred, she wouldn't be reproducing. But I do understand how you would feel saddened after pulling out a fetus or two. I have done it before too, I am no deer biologist but I killed one in Jan. one time and it had two things in it about the size of a half dollar that I have never seen before. I know that it was two fawns though.
#3117449 - 01/10/13 09:22 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

At this time of year, the vast, vast majority of does 1 1/2 years old are pregnant, whether their fetuses are big enough to see or not.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3117491 - 01/10/13 09:43 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

The reasoning I have read for not shooting does late leans more towards helping the bucks out. IT goes like this - if you know you want to shoot a doe or two, it's better to shoot them as early as possible so the bucks don't have to exert themselves on those does in the rut. This keeps bucks from getting so run down going into Winter. Obviously something that is going to be more important further North where winters are more harsh of course but I see no reason not to try taking does as early as you can here.
#3117527 - 01/10/13 10:07 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
At this time of year, the vast, vast majority of does 1 1/2 years old are pregnant, whether their fetuses are big enough to see or not.
can you tell the age of the fetus by the size? the ones in ImThere's doe were about 2.5 inches long and she was 3.5 years old. Maybe you can tell approximately when she was bred?

#3117684 - 01/10/13 12:07 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: BSK]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

I guess this is the part I hadn't considered. This spot I have to hunt it is almost inconceivable that all the does get bred because there is so many. All year long I saw three different bucks, one of which I took before rut and the other two I let walk: one 1.5 5pt, one 2.5 8pt. However, on the last day of my season, I counted 24 does and made sure I wasn't counting them twice. Now that I think about it, maybe they are all bred and I have the happiest bucks in the state!

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3118108 - 01/10/13 05:32 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

i have probably killed a few like that before but i just gut them and pay no attention to whats inside.
#3118921 - 01/11/13 08:51 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: catman529]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: catman529
can you tell the age of the fetus by the size? the ones in ImThere's doe were about 2.5 inches long and she was 3.5 years old. Maybe you can tell approximately when she was bred?

Yes, the size of the fetus tells you how many days prior the doe was bred. But the differences are so small day to day that I would need the fetus to actually measure it. You can buy a "fetal scale" that is a basically a tape measure with the lengths marked in "days after conception."

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3118923 - 01/11/13 08:51 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
The reasoning I have read for not shooting does late leans more towards helping the bucks out. IT goes like this - if you know you want to shoot a doe or two, it's better to shoot them as early as possible so the bucks don't have to exert themselves on those does in the rut. This keeps bucks from getting so run down going into Winter. Obviously something that is going to be more important further North where winters are more harsh of course but I see no reason not to try taking does as early as you can here.

I agree with this. I would prefer to take does before the rut if the local sex ratio is poor.

#3118927 - 01/11/13 08:54 AM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Urban_Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter

I guess this is the part I hadn't considered. This spot I have to hunt it is almost inconceivable that all the does get bred because there is so many. All year long I saw three different bucks, one of which I took before rut and the other two I let walk: one 1.5 5pt, one 2.5 8pt. However, on the last day of my season, I counted 24 does and made sure I wasn't counting them twice. Now that I think about it, maybe they are all bred and I have the happiest bucks in the state!

It is amazing, but they all get bred (but that also points out how stressful the rut can be on bucks). Also remember that what deer you see in daylight has absolutely no relation to what deer are actually there. Highly pressured deer can and do learn to be totally nocturnal. Unless fawn production is extremely low, it is biologically impossible to have more than 3 does per buck, and rarely is that bad.

#3119778 - 01/11/13 08:24 PM Re: My last kill of the season, strange discovery. [Re: Jaahspike]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

\:\)

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
155 registered (Tn Joe, duckriver, SAWDUST, Clay Criner, Mag, southernhunter, 20 invisible) and 213 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93324 Topics
1089689 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.22 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.