#3115018 - 01/08/13 05:32 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Coach]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Coach
 Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
It is not the fat so much as the food source for the deer. Whatever they eat gives the fat flavor. This is true of all red meat.

The mono, di, and tri glycerides in the fat collect the flavor of the digested food. Foods that are digested quickly, are less flavorfull.

Because deer are ruminants and all food gets a through digestion process, anything they eat tends to "taint" the meat.

In many cases with deer, the food in the rumen begins to carbonationalize or actually "rot". This in turn provides more time for the meat to taint. The longer, the more taint.Therefore, I will not eat taint.

However, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

But, have you actually eaten it? Have you actually taken a bite out of pure deer fat?

Good question...but, after reading BW's comment...I won't

Well, see... this is what I'm saying. It is possible that hunters have been taking certain truths for granted for years and years (this is why there is a market for coon piss, after all). BW says that the fat tastes tainted. Correction, he said that IS tainted, but I just ate it last night and it did not taste tainted at all. Now, either I have a taste for tainted meat, which, as I described, the fat tasted like venison, or the meat does not taste tainted even though it is, or, the fat is not in fact tainted. It is difficult for me to believe that tainted meat cannot taste tainted. So, which is it?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3115090 - 01/08/13 06:29 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: Coach
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
It is not the fat so much as the food source for the deer. Whatever they eat gives the fat flavor. This is true of all red meat.

The mono, di, and tri glycerides in the fat collect the flavor of the digested food. Foods that are digested quickly, are less flavorfull.

Because deer are ruminants and all food gets a through digestion process, anything they eat tends to "taint" the meat.

In many cases with deer, the food in the rumen begins to carbonationalize or actually "rot". This in turn provides more time for the meat to taint. The longer, the more taint.Therefore, I will not eat taint.

However, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

But, have you actually eaten it? Have you actually taken a bite out of pure deer fat?

Good question...but, after reading BW's comment...I won't

Well, see... this is what I'm saying. It is possible that hunters have been taking certain truths for granted for years and years (this is why there is a market for coon piss, after all). BW says that the fat tastes tainted. Correction, he said that IS tainted, but I just ate it last night and it did not taste tainted at all. Now, either I have a taste for tainted meat, which, as I described, the fat tasted like venison, or the meat does not taste tainted even though it is, or, the fat is not in fact tainted. It is difficult for me to believe that tainted meat cannot taste tainted. So, which is it?

Maybe tainted was a "strong" word for something that tastes too "strong" that possibly you like? I eat farm eggs sometimes that others think are tainted but that I just think are strong. However, I don't eat fat so not sure...My grandfather always said things like this "how's it taste Mr Webb?...and he'd respond "Just like eating manure boy, it's good if you like it"

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3115243 - 01/08/13 07:58 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Coach]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

I wouldn't take a bite. Yuck! I can't even eat the fat around a pork chop I don't worry about the fat on deer ( cook it but wont eat it) but that silver skin gets rank real quick.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3115270 - 01/08/13 08:11 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Bowdacious]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've always trimmed all the fat off my deer. I'll continue to do so. If you guys want it I can save it all up and send you a sack full after season, lol.

#3115826 - 01/09/13 08:30 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Mike Belt]
shagy99
Spike

Loc: Maury county

That wasn't necessarily all fat. If you roasted the whole neck you has a fair bit of collagen in it as well.
#3115951 - 01/09/13 09:51 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: shagy99]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: shagy99
That wasn't necessarily all fat. If you roasted the whole neck you has a fair bit of collagen in it as well.

That's true, though, you still have to pick around the collagen some, especially next to the bone.

#3116030 - 01/09/13 10:36 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I made a batch of whole muscle strip jerky a couple of years ago. I didn't trim the meat that great and left some fat on the strips. Every bite that contained a piece of fat had a noticeably gamey taste that was not good, in my opinion. Bites without fat tasted fine. Ever since then I've been vigilant about removing any and all deer fat from my venison. It's one reason why I've been hesitant to do a whole neck roast. It seems there's no way to cut all the fat out without ruining the roast. Maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it turns out.

#3116045 - 01/09/13 10:42 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Vermin93]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
...It's one reason why I've been hesitant to do a whole neck roast. It seems there's no way to cut all the fat out without ruining the roast. Maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it turns out.

X2. Although, Poser has me talked into trying it next season.

#3116065 - 01/09/13 10:50 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: BlountArrow]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
...It's one reason why I've been hesitant to do a whole neck roast. It seems there's no way to cut all the fat out without ruining the roast. Maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it turns out.

X2. Although, Poser has me talked into trying it next season.

There are definitely inedible parts of the neck and, occasionally, you get a bite that has a little grit to it, but overall, its good and makes good use of the neck, which is difficult to bone out. I wouldn't say that this is THE meal to serve to a person with no experience eating wild game, but any person who regularly eats and enjoys venison will enjoy it. You can also smoke the necks.

#3116080 - 01/09/13 11:05 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

...It is possible that hunters have been taking certain truths for granted for years and years....

^^^This couldn't be more true. I worked with a guy for many years and he was probably 65 when he retired from here. To this day, he believes there is a gland/fatty pocket in the back ham of a deer that once removed will prevent your deer from tasting gamey. He told SO MANY people this that I never had the heart to correct him. He would say, "Ever since a butcher showed me where that gland was I ain't never had gamey tasting deer meat since."

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Daniel n, gobblegrunt, stik, MR Jones07, bcartervol98, NoNtYpiCaL1, 2 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169771 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.