Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3114080 - 01/08/13 06:27 AM We don't have a spending problem.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323482504578225620234902106.html

#3114108 - 01/08/13 06:56 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: Wildcat]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

What stunned House Speaker John Boehner more than anything else during his prolonged closed-door budget negotiations with Barack Obama was this revelation: "At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me,'We don't have a spending problem.' "

Mr. Boehner confirms that at one critical juncture he asked Mr. Obama, after conceding on $800 billion in new taxes, "What am I getting?" and the president replied: "You don't get anything for it. I'm taking that anyway."

Mr. Boehner is frustrated that Republicans were portrayed by the press as dogmatic and unyielding in these talks. "I'm the guy who put revenues on the table the day after the election," he says. "And I'm the guy who put the [income] threshold at a million dollars. Then we agreed to let the rates go up, on dividends, capital gains as a way of trying to move them into a deal.... But we could never get him to step up," Mr. Boehner says with a shrug. Negotiations with the White House ended in stalemate when "it became painfully obvious that the president won't cut spending."
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3114344 - 01/08/13 09:18 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: TennesseeRains]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Boehner's an idiot - pure and simple.

The one Boehner line left out of the article was "I'm the guy who kept caving even when it was obvious we were being suckered."

#3114459 - 01/08/13 10:36 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: BMan]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

This was a no-win situation for the Republicans. Had Boehner not caved, taxes would have gone up more and on everyone. The GOP would have taken the blame for that as well. Only it would have been louder and throughout the media and political spectrum.

The GOP should never have allowed the Democrats to set up a fiscal cliff that cornered the GOP with very little risk to themselves.

The big problem with the GOP is their tactic of negotiations.

The Dems propose something that is far beyond what they expect to get. Then they play to the media and dumb masses by pleading for Compromise.

The GOP tries to win by black or tackle. They never try to move the ball themselves or interception and running the other way.

You can't win a game on defense alone. Especially when you down the ball rather than running for the in-zone in order to look "Compassionate" and not mean spirited.

To get ahead of this game we need a strategy of WIN. The GOP should have been and continue to be AGGRESSIVE. They should have passed an extension of the Bush tax cuts in the HOR and forced the Senate to kill or vote down the bill. Instead they played right into the Dems hands with this fiscal cliff BS that was designed to hurt the GOP whether they compromised or not.

I'm not beating Boehner up for the deal he made. I'm beating him up for stopping there and not getting out in front of the next "crisis". Once again, the GOP is sitting on the 20 waiting for the kick when they should be charging down the field and "cloths lining" the kicker.

- Keep it real

#3114482 - 01/08/13 10:44 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: Crappie Luck]
AndyW
10 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck
This was a no-win situation for the Republicans. Had Boehner not caved, taxes would have gone up more and on everyone. The GOP would have taken the blame for that as well. Only it would have been louder and throughout the media and political spectrum.

The GOP should never have allowed the Democrats to set up a fiscal cliff that cornered the GOP with very little risk to themselves.

The big problem with the GOP is their tactic of negotiations.

The Dems propose something that is far beyond what they expect to get. Then they play to the media and dumb masses by pleading for Compromise.

The GOP tries to win by black or tackle. They never try to move the ball themselves or interception and running the other way.

You can't win a game on defense alone. Especially when you down the ball rather than running for the in-zone in order to look "Compassionate" and not mean spirited.

To get ahead of this game we need a strategy of WIN. The GOP should have been and continue to be AGGRESSIVE. They should have passed an extension of the Bush tax cuts in the HOR and forced the Senate to kill or vote down the bill. Instead they played right into the Dems hands with this fiscal cliff BS that was designed to hurt the GOP whether they compromised or not.

I'm not beating Boehner up for the deal he made. I'm beating him up for stopping there and not getting out in front of the next "crisis". Once again, the GOP is sitting on the 20 waiting for the kick when they should be charging down the field and "cloths lining" the kicker.

Great analogy.

#3114506 - 01/08/13 10:54 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: AndyW]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

And Boehner is NOT GOING TO PLAY HARDBALL.

It's not in his nature.
He talks the talk, but can't walk it. He has too much to lose. He has re-election to think about, after all.

What is needed is someone who will stand up, call a spade a spade, make tough decisions, stick by them, explain their position to their constituents and not change their position at the whim of a poll, and be true to their Conservative base.

And the sad truth is;

there's no one like that in Washington.

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3114542 - 01/08/13 11:08 AM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: sgtwebb1]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

He doesn't have to play hard ball. He just has to play ball.

They could be pushing a balanced budget.

HeII, they could be pushing a BUDGET, period. It's the HOR's job to set the fiscal house in order.

What they need to do is pass a budget that is 5X smaller than they want. Then get out in front of the media and put pressure on the Senate to vote on it.

Reid tables budgets and the GOP throw their hands up and walks away. THAT IS NOT PLAYING BALL.
I'm not expecting them to be as good at their game as Pesoli and Reid are a theirs. We didn't elect activists. We elected career pansies.

the GOP is surrendering at every sign of resistance and they are taking the country down with the party.

Pathetic

- Keep it real

#3114844 - 01/08/13 02:48 PM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: Crappie Luck]
BMan
16 Point

The House has passed a budget every year.

EVERY year.

#3114870 - 01/08/13 03:09 PM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: BMan]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Yes, but have they been out there making news about it? Have they been mentioning that fact in EVERY interview or public comment?

It's not enough to just do what is right. They have to make it KNOWN they did it.

Failure to use the media and/or public forum is a large part of their problem.

As far as America knows, it's the GOP that is holding up funding and causing the problem. VERY few know that the house has passed a budget every year and Reid has failed to bring it to a vote.

Where are the GOP senators? Chirp Chirp...

- Keep it real

#3114874 - 01/08/13 03:14 PM Re: We don't have a spending problem. [Re: Crappie Luck]
BMan
16 Point

Failure to use the media? The media are the lapdogs for the (D)imwit party and the Regime, and they sure as heck aren't going to do anything to expose them.

The educated few among us know the truth; unfortunately, we are outnumbered by the ignorant and willfully stupid 90% plus. And the media isn't about to do anything to educate that 90% plus.

The only possible avenue is for each of US to try to educate the 90% plus. But don't expect them to easily accept the truth when they are being brainwashed every day.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
109 registered (Plateau Hunter, John3, Bayou Buck, Fishx73, BigM, DirtyBear0311, 15 invisible) and 157 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85094 Topics
1028274 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.253 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.