Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3114428 - 01/08/13 10:11 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Bayou Buck]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
 Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
most times I just heat it back up and it turns back into juice or broth. I have never had it cause a bad flavor.

Same here. What I won't eat is the fat that doesnt cook down.

That's generally my approach as well. I need to re-read some info that i've since forgotten about the types of fats, but I seem to recall those super heat-resistant fats being worse for you or something.

#3114430 - 01/08/13 10:14 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Crosshairy]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Its not as much the bad taste as the waxy texture that i dont like.
#3114431 - 01/08/13 10:15 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I trim fat from venison because of that same adage.

I wonder if all fat is not created equal, however. Sort of like how certain animals carry smells/tastes in parts of their body due to the location of glands...perhaps certain pockets of fat house other tastes that are generally unpleasant or something.

When deer fat is cooked into food (especially when dealing with ground burger), I've never noticed a problem with the flavor when re-heating the congealed stuff.

I suspect (like a lot of things) that there's a good deal that we don't know about the specifics of deer fat. It's good to question the norm about this stuff - sort of like dismissing ribs because of poor eating quality, right?

Good post. There are definitely bits of collagen on the neck that its best to avoid when eating and some of the pockets of that neck fat don't render. For my purposes, when making sausage, pork fatback is king. I can definitely tell a difference between fatback and trimming fat.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3114569 - 01/08/13 11:20 AM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Looks like that, in Germany, they use rendered deer fat for skin cream. Maybe a homemade presents for the women? http://www.scholl.at/Hirschtalg.html/
\:D

#3114799 - 01/08/13 02:08 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: WMAn]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: WMAn
I believe Poser was eating the fat to test the taste of deer fat without any lean meat attached. But, I'm interested Coach as to your reasons for avoiding fat?

Um, well, despite the common persception or misperception I know that there are some benefits in fat, but not all fat. Saturated fats like in meat and butter and trans fats, like maybe margarine I believe will raise blood pressure, clog arteries, reduce blood flow to certain extremities like the brain.

Unsaturated fats like in Olive Oil and polyunsaturated fats like in peanut butter are better for you. I get enough acid in my supplements that I don't really want the extra calories or other health risks involved in eating these other fats any more than I need too. I simply prefer a more low carb, low fat type diet.

Many years ago I wrote an article for a health magazine with the help of a nutritionist about this and my thoughts haven't changed today. I do cheat, but I'm saying on the whole.

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3114873 - 01/08/13 03:13 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Coach]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It is not the fat so much as the food source for the deer. Whatever they eat gives the fat flavor. This is true of all red meat.

The mono, di, and tri glycerides in the fat collect the flavor of the digested food. Foods that are digested quickly, are less flavorfull.

Because deer are ruminants and all food gets a through digestion process, anything they eat tends to "taint" the meat.

In many cases with deer, the food in the rumen begins to carbonationalize or actually "rot". This in turn provides more time for the meat to taint. The longer, the more taint.Therefore, I will not eat taint.

However, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3114907 - 01/08/13 03:35 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
It is not the fat so much as the food source for the deer. Whatever they eat gives the fat flavor. This is true of all red meat.

The mono, di, and tri glycerides in the fat collect the flavor of the digested food. Foods that are digested quickly, are less flavorfull.

Because deer are ruminants and all food gets a through digestion process, anything they eat tends to "taint" the meat.

In many cases with deer, the food in the rumen begins to carbonationalize or actually "rot". This in turn provides more time for the meat to taint. The longer, the more taint.Therefore, I will not eat taint.

But, have you actually eaten it? Have you actually taken a bite out of pure deer fat?

#3114964 - 01/08/13 04:34 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
I have done so, tasted rendered fat, with Mule deer. It was bitter, left an aftertaste, and tasted like sagebrush smells.

Poser, How much of that taste was due to the seasoning and cooking method you employed? I think cooking the neck like you did is an excellent way to salvage a generally hard to maximize piece of the animal. The long term health affects aren't really in play here as I am sure there are 29 bazillion worst places to get an overload of saturated fat.

#3114977 - 01/08/13 04:48 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: DaveB
I have done so, tasted rendered fat, with Mule deer. It was bitter, left an aftertaste, and tasted like sagebrush smells.

Poser, How much of that taste was due to the seasoning and cooking method you employed?

Legitimate question. Its didn't really taste like seasoning, though. It just sort of tasted like the essence of venison with a waxy texture.

#3115006 - 01/08/13 05:22 PM Re: Serious Discussions about Deer Fat [Re: Poser]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: bowriter

But, have you actually eaten it? Have you actually taken a bite out of pure deer fat?

Good question...but, after reading BW's comment...I won't

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
118 registered (TheRealSpurhunter, Sea-ark, RodBone75, JCS, rem270, 7mminatree, 14 invisible) and 180 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96573 Topics
1130797 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.