Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3114146 - 01/08/13 07:31 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
Not if you want fair chase conditions you wouldn't put a fence up!

I have seen hunting clubs with a high enough fence to keep the dogs out .It was not so high to hinder the deer.It was also also tight to the ground so the dogs could not get under.The club was in La.close to public land. They did several studies on a small scale with help from La. wildlife officials before putting up the big fence. I'll have to do some checking I believe it was 8 feet high chain link .It improved the clubs hunting success tremendously.Deer used it for a sanctuary from dogs and public land pressure. Not a perfect solution but it helped in a state with a dog season.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3114558 - 01/08/13 11:15 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Still high fence is not fair chase and that's a fact, most of us don't enjoy killing behind a fence regardless the reason behind the fence.

#3114563 - 01/08/13 11:18 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: TeamMainStreet
The bottom line is that NOBODY enjoys dogs pressuring the deer they are hunting. It is very annoying to watch deer and all the sudden here comes a pack of dogs raising heck chasing deer all over the property! I understand that accidents sometimes happen BUT most of the time the guys running the dogs don't give a crap who's private property their on. It all boils down to having respect for another mans property. If you allow your pets or hunting dogs to run loose, be prepared to deal with what could follow. For the record you guys that say this type of dog or that type of dog won't run deer, you are wrong. I've seen labs, golden retrievers, blue tics, blood hounds, beagles,mutts, fiests, pit bulls, Rottweilers, and several other breeds run deer and nearly catch them.

Sir I sincerely hope you enjoy shooting every dog that crosses within the borders of your operation. No skin off my nose.

I've never claimed nor have I ever shot at or attempted to shoot a dog, I'm just sick of you dog guys that think its your God given right to illegally hunt and run your dogs on property that you don't own! It's show your complete disrespect for another persons property.i understand accidents do happen where dog owners indirectly allow their dogs to trespass, but what irks me is the group who CONSISTENTLY trespass and when confronted they act as if its their right to "go and hunt" where their dogs lead. If you want to run dogs great more power to you! Just keep them off private posted property or better yet belly up and write a check for your own property and run them like there's no tomorrow. After all if you can afford $75,000 dogs you should be able to afford property I would think.

Edited by W.Seay (01/08/13 11:26 AM)

#3114612 - 01/08/13 11:59 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Methane
This discussion concerns areas where hunting with dogs is fair chase, legal, and tradition. Not west TN on your multi million dollar property where you operate your $75,000 tractor.

Anyone who hunts in VA, NC, SC, & anywhere dog chasing is legal knows the difference between a calf killing stray and a collared hound.

$75,000 won't pay for the best lawyers \:\)

#3114620 - 01/08/13 12:05 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I have never dog hunted deer and am not necessarly pro dog hunting, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. It sounds very fun if you have the right set up and on the right land.

I have hunted other game such as coons, squirrels, and rabbits with dogs and it is very very fun. And if our dog trees on someone else, we go get it, put it on a leash, and walk back to ours. I do not believe, and nobody that I hunted with believes that they have the right to hunt wherever they want if they use a dog.

#3114681 - 01/08/13 12:44 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: woodsman87]
W.Seay
14 Point

Actually we have to battle a guy every year that feels its his right to run his dogs on our place, needless to say he won't be coming back after our last meeting, he finally got the point. He the tried his luck at one of our neighbors place and was run off!

#3114711 - 01/08/13 01:06 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
CPerkins
6 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

All I can say is this is the first year in 21 years that I did not get a deer. Dont get me wrong I had opportunities, but numbers were way down. Sunday while looking in our fields I noticed a trend. Deer tracks with dog tracks right with them. I dont think that is the only reason we saw less deer this season than ever before, but it certainly did not help.

#3114730 - 01/08/13 01:19 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Still high fence is not fair chase and that's a fact, most of us don't enjoy killing behind a fence regardless the reason behind the fence.

If the deer can jump the fence ,come and go as they please whats not fair about it ?? The club I know of in La. was very careful about it .They worked with state wildlife officers and biologists for several years. 8ft is high enough to stop dogs and coyotes but is nothing to a deer.Big difference between a 8 ft fence with a wire holding up the top and a 12 ft fence with with several strands of barbed wire angled in that prevents deer from moving freely.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3114761 - 01/08/13 01:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
W.Seay
14 Point

I already spent $7,000.00 on a 3 day hunt behind a fence, once I got there I just couldn't force myself to kill behind it so I spent $1500.00 ontop of the $7,000.00 changed my flight and came home within 18 hours of arriving. In other words I spent over $8,000.00 which was nonrefundable to fly for a few hours and sleep at a fine lodge. I don't enjoy hunting behind fences no matter the height, it's no challenge, any idiot can kill behind a fence.

#3114879 - 01/08/13 03:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
mrw
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville, Tn

Is there any legal ramifications in the states that allow dog hunting for the owners of trespassing dogs? As a dog owner, I am held legally responsible for anything my dog does. I would think that if a dog was consistently found on posted land running deer, then the owner could be prosecuted for trespassing.
Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
150 registered (MHG, Tnmedic8, stratos195, Prowler, JeepKuntry, wayers, 9 invisible) and 257 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99599 Topics
1171756 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.062 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.