Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3114443 - 01/08/13 10:24 AM The Untold Story of Butter
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Has anyone ever read anything about this topic? It's interesting. It's funny how you can start talking about "Big Oil (the edible kind)" after reading this \:\)

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/untold-story-of-butter/

A co-worker forwarded the link to me. He and I have been talking a lot about food and how it affects our health.

It's not exactly "new" news, but at the same time it's not widely understood either. Although this particular site's post is directed at butter in particular, similar parallels can be drawn to everything that we eat (natural vs. reduced calorie processed alternatives).

Just because some guy on a TV show says that this manufactured "substitute" is better for you doesn't mean that it really is. The artificial ingredients in things are not well understood before being approved for human consumption. Artificial ingredients may not all be bad, but they are foreign enough to all be called into question. They don't do 20-year studies on all those ingredients to figure out what the long-term effects are.

Which brings me to my family's dietary "New Year's resolution" - to focus on eating more natural and healthy foods, and less processed junk.

#3114473 - 01/08/13 10:40 AM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: Crosshairy]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Next time you get groceries, shop on the perimeter. It will have everything you need.
#3114534 - 01/08/13 11:05 AM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: jb3]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah, a lot if information is breaking on this topic matter and many of the facts point to debunking much of what we've been taught in the last 50 years.
I'm always surprised when I see people using margarin etc because its tastes like crap.
The research really suggests that if you drop the vegetable oils in favor of natural, saturated fats, cholesterol levels drop. Our brains are made up of primarily saturated fat and cholesterol. A diet that deprives your brain of its raw essentials, can effect mental performance. Also, some studies conclude that saturated fat is the preferred energy source of your cardiovascular system.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3114701 - 01/08/13 12:58 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

If you want a full-on mind blow, try this stuff:

It's higher than giraffe balls at the grocery store, but Costco will oftentimes carry it in a big tub for the price of the small batch at Kroger. It tastes the way butter is supposed to taste. Oh, and even when cold, it spreads on bread easily

#3114707 - 01/08/13 01:02 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I usually buy these Troyer rolls of butter at Ezy Way: http://www.troyerscountrymarket.com/butterrollunsalted5lb.aspx

But, we do get that Kerrygold brand for the St Patty's Day meal

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3114715 - 01/08/13 01:08 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

I've also seen Kerrygold, as well as Dubliner Irish cheddar at Aldi for dirt cheap. It's a good place to cruise for their seasonal high-end stuff.

#3114731 - 01/08/13 01:19 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: TAFKAP]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
I've also seen Kerrygold, as well as Dubliner Irish cheddar at Aldi for dirt cheap. It's a good place to cruise for their seasonal high-end stuff.

What "season" is for butter? Or do they just sell it more often at certain holidays or something?

That's new to me.

There's an Aldi in Bartlett, so that might be a great option for me. I'm pretty sure that the guy at work who sent me that link eats that stuff all the time. He even uses it in his coffee in lieu of creamer. I think a lot of the principles he's following are based on stuff he's read either from the "paleo" type diet or a site called http://www.bulletproofexec.com

#3114744 - 01/08/13 01:32 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Aldi just rotates their specialty stock. I think stuff like Kerrygold and Dubliner can be found around Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Aldi is a pretty cool store if you're not hell bent on namebrand stuff. It's pretty obvious which ittems they sell that originated in a name brand factory. Milk & eggs are always great buys, and everytime I do poppers, I get Aldi bacon. Canned goods a reliable buy there, and it can be fun just cruising through to see what all they have.

Avoid the deli meat. It's not very good.

A couple summers ago, they had some heavy-weight insulated Muck boot knockoffs on sale for $30/pair.

#3114775 - 01/08/13 01:48 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: TAFKAP]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

I particularly like Aldi's produce, but I've found you have to get there early in the morning to avoid finding just picked over bins. Oh, I'm very fond on the quarter in the cart deal too! \:D

Crosshairy - thanks for the link to the butter story...the link to the Weston A. Price Foundation proved beneficial as well. I've got a ton of reading to do now.
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3114842 - 01/08/13 02:46 PM Re: The Untold Story of Butter [Re: TennesseeRains]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

I heard a heart doctor last year talk about how they have been wrong over the last 20 years with the low fat diets. He said it isn't the fat that causes high cholesterol It's the processed foods. It is equivalent to taking sand paper and rubbing on your arm. Processed foods irritate your arteries and cause swelling which in turn causes blockages. He said to avoid any processed foods including margarine.

Stick to Butter!
I have since I heard him. It made sense to me.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (UTGrad, JRE, Zulu, sgtwebb1, stylishblueticks, TN Larry, 15 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91355 Topics
1067999 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.