Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3113656 - 01/07/13 09:03 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mud198]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Seems like now days hunting dogs need to be trained with collars.
http://dogtrainingcollars.com/
Hunters fighting each other will be the death of hunting someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3113756 - 01/07/13 09:25 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
Hey bud drop a couple million on a deer property, spend thousands in food plots, $75,000.00 on a tractor, thousands just in fuel alone getting there, thousands on deer stands and most of all MY TIME and have some idiot and his dogs running deer that I'm trying to hunt and you wouldn't like it AT ALL! Especially when they lie and say I didn't know I was on private property"" as I said a dog owner who really loves his dogs will keep them on HIS own property.

Thats an understandable complaint...But quite honestly, if you drop that kind of investment on deer hunting where running dogs is legal.....Then you should have thought about that before you made the initial investment....No different than city folks moving out to the country then complaining about farmer bobs chicken or hog houses..Think before you buy. Thats the same complaint in Eastern NC....Still hunters will lease a 1000 acres in the middle of tens of thousands of acres of dog clubs then get pissed off when dogs come on their land...Its gonna happen, I'm not saying its ok, its not, but its the nature of the game. I have'nt had deer hounds in 10 years and thats the main reason I got out. To do it right, I would'nt turn out on less than 1000 acres.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3113814 - 01/07/13 09:41 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mud198]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Originally Posted By: mud198
TeamMainstreet you are right good hounds won't run deer.

I know ya'll boys are mainly talking about coon hounds, but I've saw guys trade trucks for good deer hounds. Saw guys give dog owner a blank chek for a dog and told owner to fill in numbers. There are some kennels in E. NC full of deer/fox hounds that are more sophisticated and elaborate than any Retriever or pointer kennel you will ever see. Its a different world for sure.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3113818 - 01/07/13 09:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
Methane
4 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
To rukidden?'s point, my club had 5,000 acres in the heart of dog hunting country in VA and was surrounded by properties owned by clubs that ran dogs. There was a mutual respect for unrecognized (and radio collared) dogs running deer. My perspective is born from that experience. I have not had to deal with dogs ruining my hunting here in TN. That being said, I can understand the frustration of one who has not experienced this type of deer hunting, especially if it is unexpected.

Edited by Methane (01/07/13 09:45 PM)

#3113843 - 01/07/13 09:50 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

I don't see much in the discussion about the type of dogs. The picture shows Beagles.There is a big difference between what type of dog and the type of game they are chasing. A short legged beagle small game hunting is not much threat to a deer or anyone. They won't ruin the deer hunting like a long legged coon hound.A big hound that is used for Big Game (Hogs and Bear) will run the deer off a property and can be a threat to a person. Not taking sides just adding to the discussion.
If I had millions to spend on deer hunting. I'd be putting up some high fences to keep dogs and people off . \:\)

Edited by WestTn Huntin'man (01/07/13 09:52 PM)
Edit Reason: to clear a point
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3113870 - 01/07/13 10:02 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Not if you want fair chase conditions you wouldn't put a fence up!

#3113876 - 01/07/13 10:04 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Methane
4 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Beagle, redbone, coonhound...all ran deer hard. All scared of anyone but the handlers.
#3113890 - 01/07/13 10:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

The bottom line is that NOBODY enjoys dogs pressuring the deer they are hunting. It is very annoying to watch deer and all the sudden here comes a pack of dogs raising heck chasing deer all over the property! I understand that accidents sometimes happen BUT most of the time the guys running the dogs don't give a crap who's private property their on. It all boils down to having respect for another mans property. If you allow your pets or hunting dogs to run loose, be prepared to deal with what could follow. For the record you guys that say this type of dog or that type of dog won't run deer, you are wrong. I've seen labs, golden retrievers, blue tics, blood hounds, beagles,mutts, fiests, pit bulls, Rottweilers, and several other breeds run deer and nearly catch them.

Edited by W.Seay (01/07/13 10:20 PM)

#3113909 - 01/07/13 10:21 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

I have never ran deer with hounds before but it sounds like something I could get into. Being a Houndsmen of any kind apparently is not the thing to do these days, especially with all of these multi million dollar deer operations.

Dont tread on me

#3113929 - 01/07/13 10:26 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
The bottom line is that NOBODY enjoys dogs pressuring the deer they are hunting. It is very annoying to watch deer and all the sudden here comes a pack of dogs raising heck chasing deer all over the property! I understand that accidents sometimes happen BUT most of the time the guys running the dogs don't give a crap who's private property their on. It all boils down to having respect for another mans property. If you allow your pets or hunting dogs to run loose, be prepared to deal with what could follow. For the record you guys that say this type of dog or that type of dog won't run deer, you are wrong. I've seen labs, golden retrievers, blue tics, blood hounds, beagles,mutts, fiests, pit bulls, Rottweilers, and several other breeds run deer and nearly catch them.

Sir I sincerely hope you enjoy shooting every dog that crosses within the borders of your operation. No skin off my nose.

Dont tread on me

Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (Methane, redblood, MAN, donkey5150, TNhunter, Southern Sportsman, 2 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89101 Topics
1042126 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.238 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.