Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3110019 - 01/05/13 01:39 AM Wyoming, Colorado or ???
BIGROCKREB
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Big Rock

We ae going to try for mule deer this year. May combine it with antelope. So I am trying to figure out the best place to go.
I am reading where the drought and winter kill was rough in Wyo.
Did anybody hunt there last year that can give me some info?

What we're looking for is: 1. Good chance of getting a tag; 2. Decent numbers of animals; 3. My buddy prefers to hunt private land,
and is willing to pay up to $1,000 for trespass fee IF there are good animals there.
And it needs to be the last two weeks of October (15th-31st) due to our schedules. Looking hard at Region Y in Wyo (Kaycee area)because of that. And I have found one ranch there that allows hunting.
Anybody ever hunt around Kaycee?

Any suggestions? Colorado, Wyoming or???
I have done research online until my eyes were crossed..lol.

I have found some good looking trespass hunts in NW Colorado, that may be an option. And I have sent numerous emails to ranches,
with some fair sounding options, but I just thought I'd throw it out here to see if anybody here has any more suggestions.

Thanks guys!

#3110023 - 01/05/13 02:12 AM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: BIGROCKREB]
B&C
4 Point

Loc: Clarksville

My $.02 would be to head to Colo for the hunt. I base this off the fact that I have hunted in Co many times on DIY hunts for Elk & Mulies. I can give you some contact info for unit 59 elk/mulies if you are interested. Lots of Lope just east of Colo Springs on the flats, not sure on the tag situation for them though. I know Wy has got some great Antelope opps. though and priced pretty reasonable too.
#3110136 - 01/05/13 08:09 AM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: B&C]
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

Join HUNTIN FOOL.

Keep an eye on MonsterMuleys.com

Make lots of calls.

Sounds like you have made your decision on WY. Prices are going up this year. Antelope are one thing in Wyoming, muley access is another. You'll get it done if you want to.

#3110212 - 01/05/13 09:35 AM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: ChippewaPartners]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

I seen where wyoming is predicting a big winter kill to go along with the bad drought they had in 2012. I would definatly call the biologist in that region. I was told from a guy who elk hunted that area saw only a hand full of deer in that area. But that is on public. Good luck and call the rancher talk to them that you want to pay a tresspass fee to
#3110214 - 01/05/13 09:36 AM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: pseshooter300]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

Hey chippewa i thought prices wasn't going up till 2014? If it passes
#3110300 - 01/05/13 11:10 AM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: B&C]
BIGROCKREB
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Originally Posted By: B&C
My $.02 would be to head to Colo for the hunt. I base this off the fact that I have hunted in Co many times on DIY hunts for Elk & Mulies. I can give you some contact info for unit 59 elk/mulies if you are interested. Lots of Lope just east of Colo Springs on the flats, not sure on the tag situation for them though. I know Wy has got some great Antelope opps. though and priced pretty reasonable too.

I tried to PM you, but it wouldn't work.

I would like all the info you have on GMU 59 if you don't mind sharing it. From what I can tell, the 2nd combined season in Colorado would work on the dates for us. What about getting deer tags there in that area? Is it good draw % ? Or can we get landowner tags from somebody in that area?
You can email me at bigrockreb@msn.com

Thanks,
Greg

#3110335 - 01/05/13 01:01 PM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: BIGROCKREB]
B&C
4 Point

Loc: Clarksville

Not sure why the PM didnt work but send me an email at njdt25@hotmail and I will help you out anyway I can. I have hunted the first season and second. Lots of talking during the first and a bit in the second but it is never the same every year but I have harvested bulls during both. During the 04 season one was the largest taken in that unit per DNR rep. Talk with ya later.

Nathan

#3110356 - 01/05/13 01:30 PM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: B&C]
BIGROCKREB
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Sent you an email Nathan..
Thanks!

#3110397 - 01/05/13 02:11 PM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: BIGROCKREB]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

If you pay for a tress pass fee just be careful and make sure what your getting into, and if you do so make the plans early or someone else may slip in and get your spot. I seen multiple tress pass fees for $1000 but also want a trophy fee after you kill, so know the specifics. Basically you could spend 2k (on a young deer) on a DIY private land hunt, when you could have spent 4k with a respectable outfitter and most likely tag out on a 160" or better muley and had lodging, food, and field transportation included.

If you choose WY and your set on tress pass fee's, then unit C would be a decent unit to look at. Its almost all private (for sure tag), high deer densities, and plenty of antelope as well. If you want a B@C class animal, then start building your WY points and hunt the western side of the state. Big muleys can be had all across the state, but most come from the West.

The WY winter kills usually do not affect the private ranches as bad as public ground deer, in the Eastern side of the state that is. Y is Big Horn Country and those deer likely migrate, so a winter kill could affect a lot of the private ranches. If the rancher makes money off hunters I would hope he is logical enough to limit hunters during a down year...but who knows for sure right?

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3112567 - 01/07/13 01:48 PM Re: Wyoming, Colorado or ??? [Re: AT Hiker]
Kevin B
Spike

Loc: Vicksburg, Michigan

Wyoming is looking at a huge price increase for non-res tags, you may want to take that into consideration too.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (longtine, Snake, archer19, deadeye 77, MUP, SX3Mike, 1 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88247 Topics
1033852 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.235 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.