Topic Options
#3112444 - 01/07/13 12:54 PM SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This should get at least 6 pages of discussion:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20...ting&source=RSS

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3112453 - 01/07/13 12:58 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Poser]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

content Online
Sounds reasonable to me,the dog obviouslly had a collar,a tracking collar at that.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3112519 - 01/07/13 01:25 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Football Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Sounds reasonable to me,the dog obviouslly had a collar,a tracking collar at that.

In before the SRCSS (shoot, remove collar, shovel, shutup) crowd \:o

#3112593 - 01/07/13 02:00 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Poser]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

South Carolina takes tradtion very seriously. My cousin hunts with the guy with the dog. In fact I use to belong to that club 30 years ago.

#3112621 - 01/07/13 02:11 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WRbowhunter]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I think its a bogus law.A land owner should have the right to shoot trespassing dogs as they see fit. But thats just my opinion.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3112756 - 01/07/13 03:03 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: cecil30-30]
kknights27
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville,TN

why would you want to shoot a dog? Unless it poses a threat, Ill never shoot a dog. My property or not. Thats just inhumane, and pointless. If it ruins a hunt, so what? deer hunting is awesoe, fun, and i absoloutley love it, but definately dont take it to serious id shoot a freakindog because it busted my hunt. lmao, people are crazy

"Greatness is acheived in steps, small building blocks, little by little"........Ray Lewis

"Dyin aint much of a livin, boy!"...... Josey Wales!!

#3112845 - 01/07/13 04:00 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: cecil30-30]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

content Online
 Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I think its a bogus law.A land owner should have the right to shoot trespassing dogs as they see fit. But thats just my opinion.
Yep,everyone has one.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3112918 - 01/07/13 04:34 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: kknights27]
RiverBuck10
8 Point

Loc: Hamilton, Co TN

Originally Posted By: kknights27
why would you want to shoot a dog? Unless it poses a threat, Ill never shoot a dog. My property or not. Thats just inhumane, and pointless. If it ruins a hunt, so what? deer hunting is awesoe, fun, and i absoloutley love it, but definately dont take it to serious id shoot a freakindog because it busted my hunt. lmao, people are crazy

Man I couldn't have said it better myself!! The only reason I would shoot a dog is if it's bones/ribs were hanging out do to starvation and it was about to die!!

Edited by RiverBuck10 (01/07/13 04:35 PM)

#3113010 - 01/07/13 05:29 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: RiverBuck10]
shouler mt
4 Point

Loc: tn cumberland

To all of you who say you would never shoot a dog, after dogs have killed 3 or 4 of your young calves, pm me and let me know you would make a paycheck. Thanks
#3113028 - 01/07/13 05:50 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
Travis13
4 Point

Loc: Cannon, TN

Originally Posted By: shouler mt
To all of you who say you would never shoot a dog, after dogs have killed 3 or 4 of your young calves, pm me and let me know you would make a paycheck. Thanks

x2

#3113032 - 01/07/13 05:53 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: cecil30-30]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30

Yep! Keep your stupid dogs off MY property! How would you dog lovers like it if I showed up at your house crapping all over your yard everyday and chasing your family members around???

#3113033 - 01/07/13 05:53 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Travis13]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Travis13

x2

X3

#3113036 - 01/07/13 05:55 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
W.Seay
14 Point

It's very simple... If you love your dog don't let him consistently trespass or he could end up paying the price for your laziness and lack of consideration for OTHERS property.

#3113053 - 01/07/13 06:04 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
It's very simple... If you love your dog don't let him consistently trespass or he could end up paying the price for your laziness and lack of consideration for OTHERS property.

thats allfine and good for family pets but its hard to train a hunting dog to read property lines.

#3113097 - 01/07/13 06:25 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online

That's totally different than a deer hunter who says he'll shoot any dog that he sees chasing a deer even one time. I used to raise cattle so I can understand what you are saying about your calves.

#3113105 - 01/07/13 06:28 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Hunter 257W]
HerdThinner 2012
Spike

Loc: Lexington, TN

Choot em.
#3113112 - 01/07/13 06:33 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: birddog]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: birddog

thats allfine and good for family pets but its hard to train a hunting dog to read property lines.

So it's my fault that people can't keep their dogs from trespassing on my property, running and pressuring the deer?? Sorry ill never see it that way.

Edited by W.Seay (01/07/13 06:37 PM)

#3113144 - 01/07/13 06:46 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Thats a bogus comparison. Its one thing to talk about stray/wild dogs roaming but we are talking about hounds. I grew up in and around deer doggin country in NC. Shot several deer in front of hounds and I've had hunts ruined by hounds. I'll tell you, I've shot strays that killed my fathers goats and also seen strays dig into a 500' chicken house and kill 2500 broilers in a night. Totally different scenario vs collared hounds running a deer through my/your property. Its obvious some on here have never been around deer/fox (July's, Triggs, English, Americans) hounds. They are machines that do not know quit. I imagine most would not have the skills (myself included) to shoot one in full pursuit running a deer....Their fast.....very fast. And a big percentage make terrible pets. They only know one thing, running.

I've also watched deer standing in front of me and watched hounds run right by them. IMO it takes a low-life SOB to shoot a collared hound just because its running deer.If you get so bent out of shape over deer hunting that you feel it necessary to shoot a collared hound doing what it was bred to do, then you need to either get laid, or get a life, or both. Be a man and take it up with the owner of the hounds, not the dogs.

Edited by rukiddin? (01/07/13 06:55 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3113173 - 01/07/13 06:57 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
shouler mt
4 Point

Loc: tn cumberland

rukiddin just saying they said they said they would not kill a dog
#3113214 - 01/07/13 07:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
W.Seay
14 Point

Hey bud drop a couple million on a deer property, spend thousands in food plots, $75,000.00 on a tractor, thousands just in fuel alone getting there, thousands on deer stands and most of all MY TIME and have some idiot and his dogs running deer that I'm trying to hunt and you wouldn't like it AT ALL! Especially when they lie and say I didn't know I was on private property"" as I said a dog owner who really loves his dogs will keep them on HIS own property.

#3113300 - 01/07/13 07:47 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: ]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: JARHEAD
 Originally Posted By: kknights27
X2

X3

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3113308 - 01/07/13 07:48 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
Harvester
8 Point

Loc: Morgan County

They get a free pass the first time BUT if I see them again, they will be shot. If you don't like it, keep your dogs off my property. Period. Have enough respect for me, to get your dogs and keep them up. A lot of hounds men don't pay property lines no mind. They don't see a problem with it. After all, it is dark.

Let me say that I do let people hunt with dogs on my property after deer season is closed. No problems then.

#3113323 - 01/07/13 07:50 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Harvester]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: harvester
They get a free pass the first time BUT if I see them again, they will be shot. If you don't like it, keep your dogs off my property. Period. Have enough respect for me, to get your dogs and keep them up. A lot of hounds men don't pay property lines no mind. They don't see a problem with it. After all, it is dark.

Let me say that I do let people hunt with dogs on my property after deer season is closed. No problems then.

Yep!

#3113457 - 01/07/13 08:21 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

I have said it before but most could care less I guess. Any hound worth feeding will not be out running your precious deer in daylight. He will be layed up with a full belly in a kennel somewhere. Go ahead and shoot if you must but be warned if the dog you shot has my name and number on it you can rest assured that I'm within hearing distance and will be around shortly.

Dont tread on me

#3113463 - 01/07/13 08:23 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

Hey bud drop a couple million on a deer property, spend thousands in food plots, $75,000.00 on a tractor, thousands just in fuel alone getting there, thousands on deer stands and most of all MY TIME and have some idiot and his dogs running deer that I'm trying to hunt and you wouldn't like it AT ALL! Especially when they lie and say I didn't know I was on private property"" as I said a dog owner who really loves his dogs will keep them on HIS own property.
x2

#3113496 - 01/07/13 08:32 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: sure shot]
mud198
Spike

Loc: tn

TeamMainstreet you are right good hounds won't run deer. I love deer hunting much as anybody but I do coon hunt on public land a few times during deer season to get my dogs ready and soon as deer season is over I coon hunt full time. If I lost one of my dogs and somebody shot it and I found out who the would pay HELL if I caught up with them. I have more money in my dogs than most people do in all the hunting equipment the have with them while there hunting. I do have a garmin but sometimes it still loses signal.

#3113512 - 01/07/13 08:36 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: sure shot]
Methane
4 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

This discussion concerns areas where hunting with dogs is fair chase, legal, and tradition. Not west TN on your multi million dollar property where you operate your $75,000 tractor.

Anyone who hunts in VA, NC, SC, & anywhere dog chasing is legal knows the difference between a calf killing stray and a collared hound.

#3113525 - 01/07/13 08:38 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Methane
This discussion concerns areas where hunting with dogs is fair chase, legal, and tradition. Not west TN on your multi million dollar property where you operate your $75,000 tractor.

Anyone who hunts in VA, NC, SC, & anywhere dog chasing is legal knows the difference between a calf killing stray and a collared hound.

10-4 on that. Go ahead and shoot a couple of them hounds. That tractor might bring enough to pay your lawyer.

Dont tread on me

#3113550 - 01/07/13 08:43 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
Drop 4/5
6 Point

Loc: Morgan Co.

X4

#3113554 - 01/07/13 08:45 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
mud198
Spike

If yall spending millions on deer hunting then i'm in the wrong business

#3113656 - 01/07/13 09:03 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mud198]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Seems like now days hunting dogs need to be trained with collars.
http://dogtrainingcollars.com/
Hunters fighting each other will be the death of hunting someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3113756 - 01/07/13 09:25 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Thats an understandable complaint...But quite honestly, if you drop that kind of investment on deer hunting where running dogs is legal.....Then you should have thought about that before you made the initial investment....No different than city folks moving out to the country then complaining about farmer bobs chicken or hog houses..Think before you buy. Thats the same complaint in Eastern NC....Still hunters will lease a 1000 acres in the middle of tens of thousands of acres of dog clubs then get pissed off when dogs come on their land...Its gonna happen, I'm not saying its ok, its not, but its the nature of the game. I have'nt had deer hounds in 10 years and thats the main reason I got out. To do it right, I would'nt turn out on less than 1000 acres.

#3113814 - 01/07/13 09:41 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mud198]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Originally Posted By: mud198
TeamMainstreet you are right good hounds won't run deer.

I know ya'll boys are mainly talking about coon hounds, but I've saw guys trade trucks for good deer hounds. Saw guys give dog owner a blank chek for a dog and told owner to fill in numbers. There are some kennels in E. NC full of deer/fox hounds that are more sophisticated and elaborate than any Retriever or pointer kennel you will ever see. Its a different world for sure.

#3113818 - 01/07/13 09:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
Methane
4 Point

To rukidden?'s point, my club had 5,000 acres in the heart of dog hunting country in VA and was surrounded by properties owned by clubs that ran dogs. There was a mutual respect for unrecognized (and radio collared) dogs running deer. My perspective is born from that experience. I have not had to deal with dogs ruining my hunting here in TN. That being said, I can understand the frustration of one who has not experienced this type of deer hunting, especially if it is unexpected.

Edited by Methane (01/07/13 09:45 PM)

#3113843 - 01/07/13 09:50 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

I don't see much in the discussion about the type of dogs. The picture shows Beagles.There is a big difference between what type of dog and the type of game they are chasing. A short legged beagle small game hunting is not much threat to a deer or anyone. They won't ruin the deer hunting like a long legged coon hound.A big hound that is used for Big Game (Hogs and Bear) will run the deer off a property and can be a threat to a person. Not taking sides just adding to the discussion.
If I had millions to spend on deer hunting. I'd be putting up some high fences to keep dogs and people off . \:\)

Edited by WestTn Huntin'man (01/07/13 09:52 PM)
Edit Reason: to clear a point

#3113870 - 01/07/13 10:02 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
W.Seay
14 Point

Not if you want fair chase conditions you wouldn't put a fence up!

#3113876 - 01/07/13 10:04 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Methane
4 Point

Beagle, redbone, coonhound...all ran deer hard. All scared of anyone but the handlers.
#3113890 - 01/07/13 10:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
W.Seay
14 Point

The bottom line is that NOBODY enjoys dogs pressuring the deer they are hunting. It is very annoying to watch deer and all the sudden here comes a pack of dogs raising heck chasing deer all over the property! I understand that accidents sometimes happen BUT most of the time the guys running the dogs don't give a crap who's private property their on. It all boils down to having respect for another mans property. If you allow your pets or hunting dogs to run loose, be prepared to deal with what could follow. For the record you guys that say this type of dog or that type of dog won't run deer, you are wrong. I've seen labs, golden retrievers, blue tics, blood hounds, beagles,mutts, fiests, pit bulls, Rottweilers, and several other breeds run deer and nearly catch them.

Edited by W.Seay (01/07/13 10:20 PM)

#3113909 - 01/07/13 10:21 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I have never ran deer with hounds before but it sounds like something I could get into. Being a Houndsmen of any kind apparently is not the thing to do these days, especially with all of these multi million dollar deer operations.

Dont tread on me

#3113929 - 01/07/13 10:26 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

The bottom line is that NOBODY enjoys dogs pressuring the deer they are hunting. It is very annoying to watch deer and all the sudden here comes a pack of dogs raising heck chasing deer all over the property! I understand that accidents sometimes happen BUT most of the time the guys running the dogs don't give a crap who's private property their on. It all boils down to having respect for another mans property. If you allow your pets or hunting dogs to run loose, be prepared to deal with what could follow. For the record you guys that say this type of dog or that type of dog won't run deer, you are wrong. I've seen labs, golden retrievers, blue tics, blood hounds, beagles,mutts, fiests, pit bulls, Rottweilers, and several other breeds run deer and nearly catch them.

Sir I sincerely hope you enjoy shooting every dog that crosses within the borders of your operation. No skin off my nose.

Dont tread on me

#3114146 - 01/08/13 07:31 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Not if you want fair chase conditions you wouldn't put a fence up!

I have seen hunting clubs with a high enough fence to keep the dogs out .It was not so high to hinder the deer.It was also also tight to the ground so the dogs could not get under.The club was in La.close to public land. They did several studies on a small scale with help from La. wildlife officials before putting up the big fence. I'll have to do some checking I believe it was 8 feet high chain link .It improved the clubs hunting success tremendously.Deer used it for a sanctuary from dogs and public land pressure. Not a perfect solution but it helped in a state with a dog season.

#3114558 - 01/08/13 11:15 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Still high fence is not fair chase and that's a fact, most of us don't enjoy killing behind a fence regardless the reason behind the fence.

#3114563 - 01/08/13 11:18 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: TeamMainStreet

Sir I sincerely hope you enjoy shooting every dog that crosses within the borders of your operation. No skin off my nose.

I've never claimed nor have I ever shot at or attempted to shoot a dog, I'm just sick of you dog guys that think its your God given right to illegally hunt and run your dogs on property that you don't own! It's show your complete disrespect for another persons property.i understand accidents do happen where dog owners indirectly allow their dogs to trespass, but what irks me is the group who CONSISTENTLY trespass and when confronted they act as if its their right to "go and hunt" where their dogs lead. If you want to run dogs great more power to you! Just keep them off private posted property or better yet belly up and write a check for your own property and run them like there's no tomorrow. After all if you can afford $75,000 dogs you should be able to afford property I would think.

Edited by W.Seay (01/08/13 11:26 AM)

#3114612 - 01/08/13 11:59 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Methane]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Methane

$75,000 won't pay for the best lawyers \:\)

#3114620 - 01/08/13 12:05 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I have never dog hunted deer and am not necessarly pro dog hunting, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. It sounds very fun if you have the right set up and on the right land.

I have hunted other game such as coons, squirrels, and rabbits with dogs and it is very very fun. And if our dog trees on someone else, we go get it, put it on a leash, and walk back to ours. I do not believe, and nobody that I hunted with believes that they have the right to hunt wherever they want if they use a dog.

#3114681 - 01/08/13 12:44 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: woodsman87]
W.Seay
14 Point

Actually we have to battle a guy every year that feels its his right to run his dogs on our place, needless to say he won't be coming back after our last meeting, he finally got the point. He the tried his luck at one of our neighbors place and was run off!

#3114711 - 01/08/13 01:06 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
CPerkins
6 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

All I can say is this is the first year in 21 years that I did not get a deer. Dont get me wrong I had opportunities, but numbers were way down. Sunday while looking in our fields I noticed a trend. Deer tracks with dog tracks right with them. I dont think that is the only reason we saw less deer this season than ever before, but it certainly did not help.

#3114730 - 01/08/13 01:19 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Still high fence is not fair chase and that's a fact, most of us don't enjoy killing behind a fence regardless the reason behind the fence.

If the deer can jump the fence ,come and go as they please whats not fair about it ?? The club I know of in La. was very careful about it .They worked with state wildlife officers and biologists for several years. 8ft is high enough to stop dogs and coyotes but is nothing to a deer.Big difference between a 8 ft fence with a wire holding up the top and a 12 ft fence with with several strands of barbed wire angled in that prevents deer from moving freely.

#3114761 - 01/08/13 01:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
W.Seay
14 Point

I already spent $7,000.00 on a 3 day hunt behind a fence, once I got there I just couldn't force myself to kill behind it so I spent $1500.00 ontop of the $7,000.00 changed my flight and came home within 18 hours of arriving. In other words I spent over $8,000.00 which was nonrefundable to fly for a few hours and sleep at a fine lodge. I don't enjoy hunting behind fences no matter the height, it's no challenge, any idiot can kill behind a fence.

#3114879 - 01/08/13 03:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
mrw
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville, Tn

Is there any legal ramifications in the states that allow dog hunting for the owners of trespassing dogs? As a dog owner, I am held legally responsible for anything my dog does. I would think that if a dog was consistently found on posted land running deer, then the owner could be prosecuted for trespassing.
#3114938 - 01/08/13 04:08 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

X2
#3114956 - 01/08/13 04:20 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: bbuck14]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I knew we would get 6 pages out of this \:\)

Here's a website called "Ban SC Deer Dogging"

http://www.banscdeerdogging.com/

#3114972 - 01/08/13 04:44 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mrw]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: mrw
Is there any legal ramifications in the states that allow dog hunting for the owners of trespassing dogs? As a dog owner, I am held legally responsible for anything my dog does. I would think that if a dog was consistently found on posted land running deer, then the owner could be prosecuted for trespassing.

Great point!!

#3115435 - 01/08/13 09:22 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I've never claimed nor have I ever shot at or attempted to shoot a dog, I'm just sick of you dog guys that think its your God given right to illegally hunt and run your dogs on property that you don't own! It's show your complete disrespect for another persons property.i understand accidents do happen where dog owners indirectly allow their dogs to trespass, but what irks me is the group who CONSISTENTLY trespass and when confronted they act as if its their right to "go and hunt" where their dogs lead. If you want to run dogs great more power to you! Just keep them off private posted property or better yet belly up and write a check for your own property and run them like there's no tomorrow. After all if you can afford $75,000 dogs you should be able to afford property I would think.

As ONE OF YOU DOG GUYS, I am fairly certain that if for some godforsaken reason I were to ever have my dog come across your property, I would try to look you up to ask for your permission to retrieve my dog and would try to the best of my abilities, considering your stance on us DOG GUYS WITH GOD GIVEN RIGHTS, to never hunt near your property again. That's how this DOG GUY rolls. I have the utmost respect for yours or anybody else's property and personaL belongings. If I have asked and you have made it known that you don't want anybody there then I will not be. I'm assuming from your tone that you are probably one of the ones who say NOT NO BUT HEYAL NO, even when asked nicely for permission for something like retreiving a dog.

Dont tread on me

#3115441 - 01/08/13 09:25 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mrw]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Not all hounds men break the law, just like not every deer hunt obeys it.

Dont tread on me

#3115444 - 01/08/13 09:26 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I already spent $7,000.00 on a 3 day hunt behind a fence, once I got there I just couldn't force myself to kill behind it so I spent $1500.00 ontop of the $7,000.00 changed my flight and came home within 18 hours of arriving. In other words I spent over $8,000.00 which was nonrefundable to fly for a few hours and sleep at a fine lodge. I don't enjoy hunting behind fences no matter the height, it's no challenge, any idiot can kill behind a fence.

You sure have thrown a whole lot of money at this whole deer hunting thing. Maybe time for a less expensive, less stressful hobby. Just sayin.

Dont tread on me

#3115461 - 01/08/13 09:38 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

As ONE OF YOU DOG GUYS, I am fairly certain that if for some godforsaken reason I were to ever have my dog come across your property, I would try to look you up to ask for your permission to retrieve my dog and would try to the best of my abilities, considering your stance on us DOG GUYS WITH GOD GIVEN RIGHTS, to never hunt near your property again. That's how this DOG GUY rolls. I have the utmost respect for yours or anybody else's property and personaL belongings. If I have asked and you have made it known that you don't want anybody there then I will not be. I'm assuming from your tone that you are probably one of the ones who say NOT NO BUT HEYAL NO, even when asked nicely for permission for something like retreiving a dog.

I have absolutely no problem with honest mistakes, but CONSISTENTLY trespassing and blaming your dogs for hunting my property is what I do have a problem with.the CONSISTENCY of trespassing and roaming/hunting my property is what I have a problem with.

#3115463 - 01/08/13 09:40 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

You sure have thrown a whole lot of money at this whole deer hunting thing.
Maybe time for a less expensive, less stressful hobby. Just sayin.

Nah, work hard play hard! You can't put a price tag on the fun me and my family has while hunting. I just enjoy being out of the office. The reason I told about the wasted $$ on the hunting trip was to explain my stance about killing a 200" buck behind a fence and acting like its some awesome feat isn't my style. I have killed a couple does behind a fence to help with management purposes only. But I wouldn't ever fence a property just because it doesn't feel right to me hunting behind it. There is a difference between a trigger man which is all you have to be at a high fence operations and a skilled woodsman in real life fair chase hunting.

Edited by W.Seay (01/08/13 10:01 PM)

#3115473 - 01/08/13 09:44 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

No comment on this one huh?

Dont tread on me

#3115489 - 01/08/13 09:52 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Sure ill comment, you are correct!

#3115509 - 01/08/13 10:03 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I'll tell you what makes my skin crawl. When just because someone has had one bad run in with a coonhunter or any hounds men for that matter, the group as a whole are labeled as trespassing, lowlife scum of the earth. But when a deer hunter has a run in with a trespasser or poacher it's a quarantined case. Only that guy is given down the road for his wrong doings.

What if I had paid big bucks for land to strictly rabbit hunt on and everyday I was there I ran into somebody trespassing trying to kill a deer. Would your way of thinking still apply in MY case?

Dont tread on me

#3115514 - 01/08/13 10:06 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: CPerkins]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Originally Posted By: CPerkins
All I can say is this is the first year in 21 years that I did not get a deer. Dont get me wrong I had opportunities, but numbers were way down. Sunday while looking in our fields I noticed a trend. Deer tracks with dog tracks right with them. I dont think that is the only reason we saw less deer this season than ever before, but it certainly did not help.

I don't have a clue as to your situation. You may be eaten up with wild roving trespassing dogs. But I will say that coyotes leave a print pretty similar if not the same as a dog.

Dont tread on me

#3115524 - 01/08/13 10:24 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

I'll tell you what makes my skin crawl. When just because someone has had one bad run in with a coonhunter or any hounds men for that matter, the group as a whole are labeled as trespassing, lowlife scum of the earth. But when a deer hunter has a run in with a trespasser or poacher it's a quarantined case. Only that guy is given down the road for his wrong doings.

What if I had paid big bucks for land to strictly rabbit hunt on and everyday I was there I ran into somebody trespassing trying to kill a deer. Would your way of thinking still apply in MY case?

Once again...... The focal point is the CONSISTENCY not the once in a blue moon accident of a guy "loosing" his dogs on someone else's property and making an honest mistake. There are guys who turn their dogs loose on private property on purpose to hunt and then when you catch them they say "my dogs got loose"! Little did they know you stood a couple hundred yards away in the woods watching them let the dogs out of the back of their truck!

Edited by W.Seay (01/08/13 10:28 PM)

#3115536 - 01/08/13 10:35 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: W.Seay]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

So the conclusion we have come to is I'm not the one you are consistently catching hound hunting on your property so alls well that ends well. Sounds good to me.

Dont tread on me

#3115796 - 01/09/13 08:00 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
W.Seay
14 Point

Yep it's the repeat offenders that hack people off!

#3116450 - 01/09/13 03:26 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: shouler mt]
blountcountyboy
8 Point

Loc: Blount CountyTN ya know over n...

I am a hunter, land owner, houndsmen, and farmer. I have GPS collars on my dogs so that I can see where and when they get close to property that I don't want them going into. Then since I've trained them I can "recall" them with a tone button on their E-collar. However, it may take a few seconds to get them stopped and turned around and in those few seconds they could get onto the property before I get them turned around.

If I find someone has shot the hound that I raised from a puppy, spent years and untold amounts of money to train for simply getting onto their property a lawyer will be the least of their worries.

With that said...if my dogs harrass someones livestock or tearing up property and I had been made aware of it and didn't correct the problem then shoot them. I give all dogs that chase my cattle or get into my garbage 1 pass(if wearing a collar or I know who's dog it is) and I contact the owner and explain my intentions if I catch them doing it again. This seems fair to me.

#3116709 - 01/09/13 05:49 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: blountcountyboy]
kknights27
4 Point

To all who got their feelings hurt when I said I would not shoot a dog....REREAD the post..... UNLESS IT POSES A THREAT! Chase around my kid, ill kill it, shat in my yard, not a huge deal, ruins a deer hunt, ill give him a deserved pass. But some folks in my opinion are sensless

"Greatness is acheived in steps, small building blocks, little by little"........Ray Lewis

#3116748 - 01/09/13 06:09 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Drop 4/5]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
Out west, CA, UT, CO, a dog on the property is just shot. That's it. I've never ever seen a dog running loose on any of the properties I hunted. In TN and MS I've had dogs follow me and ruin hunts. If your dog is on someone else's land, your dog could die. Control your dog and stay on public land or your own. What makes you think Your dog has the right to even be on someone else's land without permission?
#3116754 - 01/09/13 06:13 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: DaveB]
kknights27
4 Point

Nobody on here said a dog had a RIGHT to be on different property. I justy think its crazy/ inhumane to shoot a pet that doesnt even know its doing wrong. Just a D8CK move to do something if the dog hasnt posed a threat. Not everyone has common sense nor feelings of decency though. I was warned as a young boy, some people are just plain crazy : )

#3116758 - 01/09/13 06:15 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: kknights27]
kknights27
4 Point

Again, just my opinion.

#3117530 - 01/10/13 10:10 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: kknights27]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I can kinda see both sides of this but in the end if you shoot a dog that is not a threat then your no better that any other poacher. Your can try to justify it but still do not have a right to do it. I'm sure road hunters, night hunters and people that hunt over bait (where its not legal) have reasons to do what they do too.

#3117544 - 01/10/13 10:20 AM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: WRbowhunter]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

It would be about like my neighbors cattle getting into my pasture and me puttin a bullet through em. Why? Cattle didn't know any better. Farmer didn't mean for em to get over there. Hey let's just kill em. Let's not try to find out what the deal is, let's just killem.

I know W. Seay, repeat offenders. I gotcha.

Dont tread on me

#3117774 - 01/10/13 01:07 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
mrw
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville, Tn

Team Main Street, you seem to be taking this personal. You also never answered my question. Do you think owners of dogs who habitually trespass should be charged with trespassing?
#3117804 - 01/10/13 01:32 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mrw]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

Your dog does not belong on my property, PERIOD.

Call me whatever you want; I'll kill it, hostile or not, and if you think you're going to come on down, and try something physical. Well, I think you get the point! You put your pants on just like I do, everyday. You'd be best served to get a lawyer!

This can all be resolved if folks would just learn how to respect others, and their property. You be considerate of me, and mine, and I'll show the same respect! It's a two way street fellers...

This is all assuming it doesn't get caught up in one of my numerous traps, or snares!

#3117811 - 01/10/13 01:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: m411b]
rukiddin?
8 Point

^^^^^You have to have no experience at all with hunting dogs....of anykind. Traps and snares? Thats understandable, you have the right to trap on your own property. But to blatanty brag by "I'll kill it, hostile or not" shows a typical ignorance. You do more to damage the perception of hunting and hunters than all doggers combined.....Stay classy my friend.

W Seay: Is your property in an area where deer dogging is legal? Or are the problems you have with other types (coon, rabbit, etc)? Just curious.

#3117828 - 01/10/13 02:00 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

WITHDRAWN!

Edited by m411b (01/10/13 02:02 PM)

#3118242 - 01/10/13 06:47 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: m411b]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

Good job stirring up the beehive poser !! Lmao.

#3118365 - 01/10/13 08:09 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Dolan82]
Jim H
6 Point

Loc: Arlington

Outrageous !
#3118376 - 01/10/13 08:12 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Dolan82]
Drop 4/5
6 Point

Loc: Morgan Co.

So give me advise on what to do when you have asked the owner dozens of times not to let there dog run your property. You pick vacation time 11 months prior, food plots are doing good. Travel 13 hrs with your sons, get up at 5 sittin by 6 and at 9 the same dog runs all the deer off your food plot for the 5th time in 5 days. It gets old real quick and you hate to lose a friendship but somethings gotta change by next season because I am running out of options.

Ron

#3118452 - 01/10/13 08:47 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Dolan82]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Dolan82
Good job stirring up the beehive poser !! Lmao.

Hey, I'm merely delivering on my guaranteed 6 pages of content. \:\)

#3118485 - 01/10/13 09:03 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: rukiddin?]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?
^^^^^You have to have no experience at all with hunting dogs....of anykind. Traps and snares? Thats understandable, you have the right to trap on your own property. But to blatanty brag by "I'll kill it, hostile or not" shows a typical ignorance. You do more to damage the perception of hunting and hunters than all doggers combined.....Stay classy my friend.

W Seay: Is your property in an area where deer dogging is legal? Or are the problems you have with other types (coon, rabbit, etc)? Just curious.

No, it's illegal. The coon hunters and rabbit hunters are who we have the trespassing/dog running problems with. I believe they got the message the last time though.

#3118614 - 01/10/13 10:40 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Drop 4/5]
darn2ten
6 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

Originally Posted By: Drop 4/5
So give me advise on what to do when you have asked the owner dozens of times not to let there dog run your property. You pick vacation time 11 months prior, food plots are doing good. Travel 13 hrs with your sons, get up at 5 sittin by 6 and at 9 the same dog runs all the deer off your food plot for the 5th time in 5 days. It gets old real quick and you hate to lose a friendship but somethings gotta change by next season because I am running out of options.

Ron
Man, I think you already made a post about this. If it's truley dozens of times this guy is playing you for a fool. He's obviously not taking you serious. In this case I personaly don't think he cares near as much about your friendship as you do. I would be getting the county sheriff envolved if it was me, he is showing you no respect so why show him any?

#3118618 - 01/10/13 10:42 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: mrw]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Team Main Street, you seem to be taking this personal. You also never answered my question. Do you think owners of dogs who habitually trespass should be charged with trespassing?

MRW I could honestly care less for the simple fact that my dogs have not been on anyone's property that has posted here. To answer your question. Nail em to the wall.

Edited by TeamMainStreet (01/10/13 10:43 PM)

Dont tread on me

#3118620 - 01/10/13 10:44 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: m411b]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Originally Posted By: m411b
Your dog does not belong on my property, PERIOD.

Call me whatever you want; I'll kill it, hostile or not, and if you think you're going to come on down, and try something physical. Well, I think you get the point! You put your pants on just like I do, everyday. You'd be best served to get a lawyer!

This can all be resolved if folks would just learn how to respect others, and their property. You be considerate of me, and mine, and I'll show the same respect! It's a two way street fellers...

This is all assuming it doesn't get caught up in one of my numerous traps, or snares!

10-4 Mr. Eastwood. Good luck gettin them pants on.

Dont tread on me

#3118624 - 01/10/13 10:51 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: Drop 4/5]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Drop 4/5

Ron

Prosecute, prosecute, prosecute. Never once have I said that I thought it was A OK for someone to trespass even once, much less multiple times while chasing a dog. I don't necessarily agree with blowin a mans huntin dog away just cause he comes wandering through. If he was chasin you or chasing deer, yea I would say thump him but otherwise, no. I'm all about people's rights. I am going to do everything I possibly can to uphold people's rights and to get along with everyone. If I'm not wanted somewhere, I'll not be there. I know, I know. I'm a hound hunter, I must be up to no good. Give me a break.

Dont tread on me

#3119370 - 01/11/13 03:13 PM Re: SC addresses the shooting of hunting dogs [Re: TeamMainStreet]
reed
Button

I love to deer hunt. That being said, I can see what the world of "deer" hunting is doing to hunting in general. Ruining it. There is more jealousey, envy, strife, over deer hunting than any other type of hunting.Almost all the game laws are made to advance the deer hunting world. Turkeys come in a close second. I also love to turkey hunt. Small game hunters are thrown by the wayside while all the spotlight shines on the deer hunting. Heaven forbid one of my squirrel dogs trees a squirrel over the property line and "ruins" someones deer hunt. It woul be interesting if we had a way to know how many deer hunters would shoot a deer just across the property line if given the oportunity on a certain deer. There is more illegal activity performed by deer hunters than any other type of hunters out there, all for the glory of getting the "big one". Again, I love to deer hunt but I can see what its doing to hunting in general and its not good. I do my best to control my dogs. Shoot one and I know it, would not be good.
Page all of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (edtcase, bone_cave, BuckDropper, grunt'n gator, mayberryrick, Snake, 16 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90858 Topics
1062154 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.