Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3112355 - 01/07/13 08:08 AM Post Season Survey Question for BSK
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

Bryan - will it skew the sampling if there are more than one camera on a plot? We have a few irregular shaped plots that I usually put two cameras on.

#3112392 - 01/07/13 08:30 AM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: tellico4x4]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Nope. The more data the better.

I started switching all my cameras to food plots about two weeks ago.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3112550 - 01/07/13 01:39 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Is there some way to tell buck to doe ratio with a camers.I mean does pretty much look the same.Seems like you could get 30 pics of the same doe,and one of a particular buck..Some kind of formula?Do you disregard fawns,or try to tell male/female "button bucks"?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3112624 - 01/07/13 02:11 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: BSK]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Nope. The more data the better.

I started switching all my cameras to food plots about two weeks ago.

Thanks

#3112644 - 01/07/13 02:16 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: Football Hunter]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Is there some way to tell buck to doe ratio with a camers.I mean does pretty much look the same.Seems like you could get 30 pics of the same doe,and one of a particular buck..Some kind of formula?Do you disregard fawns,or try to tell male/female "button bucks"?

One of our younger guys who is Biology major in college bought some software last year that he used for survey that calculates the ratio & recruitment rate. I know that it was labor intensive for him as he had to judge each deer pic (lots) that we had for buck, doe, fawn, etc... and enter that data. Don't remember the name of software though, but will ask him.

#3112936 - 01/07/13 04:42 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

As with any type of statistically calculated measurement, some things have to be assumed, and one thing that is "assumed" in a photo census is that individual bucks are being repeat photographed, on average, the same number of times as each individual doe and fawn. So you use the ratio of buck to doe pictures, and buck to fawn pictures, in association with the unique number of bucks represented in all the buck pictures, to calculate the number of does and fawns.

For example, counting up all the bucks in pictures, all the does in pictures, and all the fawns in pictures (throwing out unidentifiable deer), you come up with 1,000 bucks in pictures, 1,500 does in pictures, and 1,200 fawns in pictures. That is a 1.5 to 1 ratio of does to bucks and a ratio of 1.2 fawns per buck. From identifying the number of unique bucks by their antler configurations, you know the 1,000 buck pictures are really just many repeat photographs of 12 unique bucks. Considering the 1.5 does per buck picture ratio, then those 1,500 doe pictures repesent many repeat pictures of around 18 does (18 does /12 bucks = 1.5 does per buck). With the ratio of fawns to bucks of 1.2, then the 1,200 fawn pictures represent somewhere around 14.4 fawns.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3112942 - 01/07/13 04:47 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Here are the actual formulas:

TB = Total number of Bucks in all pictures
TD = Toal number of adult Does in all pictures
TF = Total number of Fawns in all pictures
UB = number of Unique Bucks represented in all pictures

Calculated number of does = (TD / TB) * UB
Calculated number of fawns = (TF / TB) * UB

#3114990 - 01/08/13 05:00 PM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: BSK]
tnbucs1
4 Point

BSK do you recommend a baited census post season? If so what is a good bait/attractant to use? Are there any problems w/ corn this time of year?
#3115788 - 01/09/13 07:52 AM Re: Post Season Survey Question for BSK [Re: tnbucs1]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: tnbucs1
BSK do you recommend a baited census post season? If so what is a good bait/attractant to use? Are there any problems w/ corn this time of year?

A census at any time of year can't hurt. A post-season census can tell you about "who survived hunting season." Although be forewarned that bucks that only use your hunting property during the rut will not show up on a post-season census.

I feel much more confident about using corn as a bait for census work during winter. Far less chance of producing aflatoxin poisoning.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Fearless, WhitesCreek, ImThere, rabbit hunter, keystonecop, 2 invisible) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92902 Topics
1085471 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.103 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.