Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3109906 - 01/04/13 09:47 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: GRAMPS]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

never have but I always carry matches and a lighter in my bag. if you have fire thatll always help.

#3109939 - 01/04/13 10:15 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: bowriter]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

John,

I would tend to agree with you. Most guys I know carry a smart phone. The largest concern is running the battery down. Some even carry two way radios though not sure of the emergency capabilities of those beyond te way communication. I have recently noticed that Garmin has come out with a very simple GPS device with limited functionality. They run $50. Thought it would be nice as a precaution.

Though I would recommend doing a map recon before going in anywhere. Most people anymore do not have the skills necessary to survive in the wild for more than a day. I think that have actually made me rethink what I put in my daypack for next season, and what my kids need to learn before we start.

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#3110059 - 01/05/13 06:33 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: eweisner]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Not many left who can read a map and use a compass. probably even fewer who can build a simple shelter and get a fire going in wet weather. Lot of valuable skills lost to technology.

For simple, everyday day deer hunting, most hunters carry far more equipment than they need. I, for example, never even bother with a pack. There is nothing I need that I can't get in my pockets. But if I am hunting out west, I carry a simple day pack that might weigh 10-pounds tops with all I need to survive 2-3 days. That pack is lighter than the pack many carry for a hunt from dawn to noon around here. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3110065 - 01/05/13 06:46 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: bowriter]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

I got rained in while fishing over in the White River Game Refuge in AR years back. The muddy roads were impossible to traverse, so I was stuck in there for a couple of days until everything dried up enough that I could get some traction to get up out of the swamp bottoms. Just slept in the car and used the lighter in the car to light a campfire for a couple of nights and ate the fish.
This was before cell phones, and amazingly, none of my friends worried about me or sent anyone looking. I guess that's telling in and of itself.
However, since I was a kid I've spent the night in the woods many, many times just for fun. I have been through many woodland and desert survival courses so if it happened again it would be no big deal.
The thing that makes it all better is to know what to do, and don't get freaked out. Really, with a knife and a lighter you can get by comfortably in this part of the country for a couple of days as long as you have the knowledge of what to do. If you have that knife, a lighter AND a couple of garbage bags with you, why you will think you are staying at the Ritz Carlton when you are lost in the woods. You just gotta know what to do.

#3110088 - 01/05/13 07:15 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: BlackBelt]
outdoors crazy
4 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tennessee

Yea..not too much problem getting lost where i hunt. But it does make you think. If i am hunting alone and something happens to where i can't get out and nobodys looking for me...it would be good to have some extra stuff packed!
#3110218 - 01/05/13 09:45 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: outdoors crazy]
HAWKEYE
4 Point

Loc: MIDDLE WEST TN

Got lost in Fall creek Falls once, had hunted the morning hunt and met everyone back at the logging road for a nap. Everyone headed back to their stands around 2pm and I knew to watch for a fork in the ridge to find my stand. Well apparently, their was 2 forks and I took the first one. I ended up at the bottom at which 5 ridges come down. I turned around and they all looked the same. Even couldnt fingure out which one I had just come down. I remembered the sun was at my back coming off the main logging road so I headed straight toward the sun. I did find a hiking trail and eventually found the main logging road but I was way past my hunting party. I got back to familiar woods just in time to recover my stand and meet everyone. I had packed a light, knife, lighter/pack of smokes, rope,cover sent, compass.

#3111445 - 01/06/13 10:07 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: HAWKEYE]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

In the aftermath of being lost I bought an Army Ranger survival manual and later on bought a book called "Naked into the Wilderness". The Army Ranger Survival manual is small enough to carry with you. If I am going to be in a large unfamiliar area I always carry it along with my compass and GPS.

The cool thing about "Naked into the Wilderness" it tells you how to survive even if you have nothing with you. I learned a lot reading this book. I even learned how to build a fire using a fire Plow and a Drill. Now the secret to all of this is to practice all the skills and become proficient from the comfort of civilization. Then if you do get lost it isn't an
overwhelming experience because you have done it before.

I think it would be neat for a bunch of us to get together and have a survival training class. Share what we know and hopefully learn a lot of new things.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (conwaylale, HuntingDicksonDTC, wildlifelover, 280longshot, MUP, Sniper23, 19 invisible) and 158 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93096 Topics
1087951 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.