Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3108719 - 01/04/13 07:25 AM Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

In case you missed the schedule of public meetings:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Dec. 28, 2012) -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District has scheduled four public meetings in January 2013 to allow the public to respond to the pending implementation plans to restrict all forms of water access to hazardous waters adjacent to Corps locks and dams on the Cumberland River and its tributaries.

The information for each meeting is below. Note that if any of these meetings are rescheduled due to weather or other unforeseen events the Corps will follow up with additional news releases to inform the public.

Jan. 10, 2013 in Grand Rivers, Ky.

The first public information meeting is 6-8 p.m. (Central Standard Time), Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013 at the Badgett Playhouse Theater located at 1838 JH O'Bryan Ave., in Grand Rivers, Ky.

Jan. 15, 2013 in Nashville, Tenn.

The second public information meeting is 6-8 p.m. (Central Standard Time), Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013 at the McGavock High School Auditorium located at 3150 McGavock Pike in Nashville, Tenn.

Jan. 17, 2013 in Baxter, Tenn.

The third public information meeting is 6-8 p.m. (Central Standard Time), Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013 at the Upperman High School Auditorium located at 6950 Nashville Highway in Baxter, Tenn.

Jan. 24, 2013 in Somerset, Ky.

The fourth public information meeting is 6-8 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time), Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 at the Somerset Center for Rural Development located at 2292 U.S. Highway 27, Suite 300, in Somerset, Ky. Please be sure to turn off Highway 27 at Traffic Light 15.

For more information on "Restricted Areas Around Dams" please go to:

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/About/Organization/Operations/RestrictedAreasAroundDams.aspx
The public can obtain news, updates and information from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District on the district's website at http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/nashvillecorps and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/nashvillecorps.

#3108741 - 01/04/13 07:53 AM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: jakeway]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Thanks ,will go to one for sure

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3109030 - 01/04/13 11:03 AM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: Football Hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Man...those are gonna be nasty I bet. I'd hate to be the one sitting across the table from all those angry fisherman.

I'm a good ways from the Cumberland, but I'm sure rooting for you guys to get this overturned!

#3109225 - 01/04/13 01:43 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: Crosshairy]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
It is my understanding that the meetings have no intention of soliciting input. They are coming merely to tell you the timetable for implementing their plan.

IMO, the only way any of their plans get changed is it comes from their command.

#3109244 - 01/04/13 02:00 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: scn]
Crosshairy
10 Point

I had heard that as well, but his copy/paste of the meeting times was prefaced with the statement "to allow the public to respond to the pending implementation plans to restrict all forms of water access..."

It's bad all around though - since these folks aren't elected officials, they don't really have a vested interest in public opinion. The only thing you can hope for is that it gets far enough up the chain to create a stink that bounces back down.

That's one of the most frustrating things for sporting folks (hunters/fishers/trappers) - we are in the minority with the population, and consequently the general population has little or no concern when it comes to what they perceive as "minor" limits on our freedoms.

Someone needs to pull together an economic analysis of the impacts to the local economies so that other folks have a vested interest in the outcomes. I bet that many small business owners in the vicinity of the dams have no idea of the impending rule change and its potential impact to their bottom line.

Lots of folks are going to be at risk of going under. All those cool-weather months when the only traffic is from fishermen...

#3109389 - 01/04/13 04:09 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: scn]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: scn
It is my understanding that the meetings have no intention of soliciting input. They are coming merely to tell you the timetable for implementing their plan.

IMO, the only way any of their plans get changed is it comes from their command.

I know Doug Markham has been working hard to create opposition to these restrictions as well as TK Walker on his TNfishing website. I know it probably will not matter that we show up or voice our opinions (if allowed) but I plan on being an observer at the Jan 15th meeting anyway. Are you planning on attending in either an official or unoffical capacity at any of these meetings SCN?

#3109404 - 01/04/13 04:20 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: Dbllunger]
scn
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Dbllunger
 Originally Posted By: scn

I know Doug Markham has been working hard to create opposition to these restrictions as well as TK Walker on his TNfishing website. I know it probably will not matter that we show up or voice our opinions (if allowed) but I plan on being an observer at the Jan 15th meeting anyway. Are you planning on attending in either an official or unoffical capacity at any of these meetings SCN?

I will not be going in an official capacity (unless told otherwise). I haven't decided if I am going as a fisherman. I so disagree with what is going on that I am not sure if I spoke that I could be calm and professional.

#3109427 - 01/04/13 04:41 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: scn]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

So do they expect TWRA to enforce these new regulations? Does the agency get to weigh in?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3109718 - 01/04/13 08:01 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: gil1]
scn
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: gil1
So do they expect TWRA to enforce these new regulations? Does the agency get to weigh in?

TWRA has weighed in VERY strongly against the regulations. They make zero sense. We will not be enforcing the regulations.

#3109794 - 01/04/13 08:46 PM Re: Public Hearings on Dam fishing Restrictions [Re: scn]
Crosshairy
10 Point

My cousin's coverage area (he's a W.O.) is in the vicinity of one of the dams, I think. He was kinda laughing about the ridiculousness of the plan, because with the TVA police being done away with and it not being enforced by the TWRA, it comes across as a law with no teeth. I guess they could send in...the coast guard or something? At any rate, I doubt there will be regular patrols without some changes being made.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
65 registered (catm1, garry, sisko, scott co htr, G8rntn, tbird13, 11 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88115 Topics
1032248 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.