Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3108732 - 01/04/13 07:44 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: jb3]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Good Grief John,
Are you that desperate that you need us for an article?
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3108815 - 01/04/13 08:35 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: 102]
Timberdoodle
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville, TN

Went elk hunting in mountains of Idaho few years back. Hired a guide to help us and the evening I got my elk he lost the horses. We looked for hours and I finally told him that I was finished! He had no idea where we were!Camped for the night. Found horsed when it was light out. Best fresh backstrap I ever eat cooked over the camp fire that night fresh from my elk! That happened to be the only time I had not marked the horses on my GPS when we left them. Learned a lot that night.

I always have ammo, fire starter, salt/pepper, first aid kit, multi tool. Those things made for a somewhat pleasant night that night! Ended up being the most fun of the whole trip!

Edited by Timberdoodle (01/04/13 08:38 AM)

#3108818 - 01/04/13 08:40 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: Timberdoodle]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've been tmporarily misplaced before. It taught me to always carry a compass and they don't lie.

#3108820 - 01/04/13 08:43 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: 102]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I was in my early 20's. A group of 6, all of us high school buddies drove over to Benton County to deer hunt some Westvaco land. One of my friends worked with a man that was from the Big Sandy area and he had told him about the Westvaco land and was letting us use his cabin on a small tract of adjoining farm land. None of us had ever been there before. After some searching and stopping a few times to ask for directions we found the cabin.

It had been raining all night and most of the morning. We left the cabin around noon and walked over to the Westvaco tract and split up. The temperature was starting to drop a little so I had tied a jacket around my waist to wear later on. Flashlight, knife and rifle was all I had.

The low rolling ridges of that area all look similar to the unfamiliar eye. As the afternoon progressed a fog started to form. Visibility was down to about 50 feet around 3:30 PM. I tried to walk back the direction I thought I had entered the woods. After a few minutes of walking I was hopelessly lost. This was before handheld GPS units were commercially available so I was left with only my sense of direction to find my way out. I finally collected my thoughts enough to sit down and listen for traffic. I could hear what sounded like a 4 wheeler
an unknown distance away.

I started walking toward the noise but it stopped. I was dead in the water again. I sat back down and listened some more. After a few minutes I could hear a faint sound of running water. I recalled that I had seen a small creek that crossed the main road about a mile below the cabin. I started working my way in the direction of the sound of running water. It was getting dark, I was freaked out and honestly sort of scared.

In my journey toward the creek I found a logging road. I started following it downhill and it came out about 3/4 of a mile from the cabin. I was lucky.

6 of of us went in the woods that afternoon. 3 of us got lost in the fog. Tim Murphy and his brother Terry both got lost too. Tim followed the ridges out to a farm house and a farmer drove him the 4 miles back to the cabin. Terry, who had shot a deer, spent the night in the woods. He built a fire and stayed as warm as he could until daylight. He pulled up the next morning, piggybacking on a three wheeler, dragging a deer behind it. a hunter had happened by on a three wheeler.

When the trip was over, the first purchase I made was a compass. I now have a handheld GPS and still carry the compass.

#3108829 - 01/04/13 08:47 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: bowriter]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

never lost enough to spend the night. was turned around once at catoosa and ended up a pretty good ways from where i had parked.

#3108951 - 01/04/13 10:07 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: Brisco Darlin]
KANATI McD
8 Point

Loc: West, TN.

Never been lost, turned around a few times.

But to answer your question, I am always prepared to go hunt and come home.

I am never prepared to stay in the woods overnight or more. And would estimate 97% of hunters arent. JMO

Kinda makes ya think: Maybe I should pack a few odd and ends Just in case.

#3108972 - 01/04/13 10:19 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: GRAMPS]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I've been turned around once or twice but never lost. Guess I haven't been in big enough woods yet.

...since last deer season

#3109037 - 01/04/13 11:09 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: 102]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: 102
Good Grief John,

Thats what I was thinking!! ;\)

#3109041 - 01/04/13 11:13 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: catman529]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I have never been lost all night but have been turned around for several hours after dark twice. Once at AEDC with my cousin walking powerlines during a deer hunt. Every time we would come to another powerline, we just knew it was the one we were looking for - only to find out it wasn't. A group of hunters drove by one time asking if we needed a ride. We were too proud to say yes and told them we were enjoying the walk. By the time we finally found the truck we were dragging.

I got lost another time alone and that was a bit more distressing. Back then I didn't even carry a flashlight. I remember there was a fairly bright moon so I had light but still was walking into small limbs. I tried to walk towards traffic sounds on the highway but the apparent direction of the sound would shift so I walked in circles for a couple of hours before coming out on a road that I didn't recognize in somebodies back yard. Some big dogs were going crazy barking and growling at me so I had to circle way around that house. It turned out that I was about a mile from my truck.

Obviously I wasn't prepared at all to spend the night either time. I did have my 460 Weatherby in the 2nd situation so I felt well armed. \:\) Nowdays I hunt my own land so getting lost is not an issue.

Edited by Hunter 257W (01/04/13 11:15 AM)

#3109490 - 01/04/13 05:26 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: 102]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: 102
Good Grief John,

LOL- no, having an argument with a couple guys re how much equipment most hunters carry and what they don't have they should have. My stance is, most hunters today have enough high-tech stuff it should be impossible for them to get lost to the extent they have to spend the night. Should have geared it more toward mountain hunting out west as that is what we were talking about.

I have my cols. mapped out through March. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, TnBob, MUP, bradshaw34, shrek, DocT, 2 invisible) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93070 Topics
1087567 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.