Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3108129 - 01/03/13 06:59 PM Need Input For a Discussion I am Having
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

How many of you have ever been lost or as it is with me, just badly misplaced and had to spend the night in the woods? If so, how prepared were you?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3108136 - 01/03/13 07:04 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: bowriter]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Once in Tellico. I had enough equipment with me so that it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was finding enough dry wood to get a fire going. I wasn't but about a mile from the road but I didn't want to try to find it in the dark. I had a radio to contact others in my party so they didn't waste time looking for me.

#3108169 - 01/03/13 07:22 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: Beekeeper]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I have never been lost. Just misplaced . \:D I got lost coonhunting one night when I was in high school. I was also camping at the time so noone knew I was missing. I built a fire skinned the coon and me and the dog had roasted coon on a stick. One of the best meals I have eaten.Dawn arrived and I recognized a familiar tree I passed by on my way in to camp. I was probably a 1/2 mile from camp. All I had was my dog, knife, lighter,clothes on my back, and my light.I made it alright.

#3108224 - 01/03/13 07:56 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: timberjack86]
Redwing
10 Point

Loc: Blount Co.

I had a little adventure in Michigan, Instead of walking the long road that led directly to the car, my buddy and I cut through the woods. I was sure we were heading straight for the car. Nope ! We walked and walked never found the clearing. Finally we popped out on a state highway, right next to a Beer store, what luck. Talking to the clerk we were about half a mile from the road that took us to our car. That shortcut turned out to be a mile longer than the original walk in.
#3108246 - 01/03/13 08:07 PM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: Redwing]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

In a situation I can't say much about with a CSM and. Lt. Col I don't remember. Got left by patrol, I recommended we follow SOP and sit still. They refused, luckily I had studied a map and knew the land. 5 miles later we were back at base. Lt. Col tried to recommend me for article 15. Platoon Sargeant told him where he could put it, respectfully of course.

I had an M16, 120 rounds, bayonet, two canteens, an MRE, two packs Marlboro's, and a zippo. Probably would have been fine.

Edited by eweisner (01/04/13 12:19 AM)

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#3108637 - 01/04/13 05:44 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: ]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

This is an intersting story that may interst you. What they don't tell you that almost any direction within two miles in Shelby Forrest you find a road, hiking trail or the Miss. River.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...forest/?print=1

#3108651 - 01/04/13 05:59 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: Hawk]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

i got turned around once in tellico thinking i was on a ridge that paralleled the road/river. i dropped off the side of the ridge expecting a road and found a very small creek. hmmmm i went back up the ridge where i started and thought i was backtracking towards the road. another trip off the ridge and no road. ok now what? it's getting late afternoon now. back to the top of the ridge(i was MUCH younger ;\) ) and by then it's starting to get towards sunset and i think i better get prepared for a long night.it wasn't supposed to get real cold and i had clothes,water and food and a rifle. as i was looking for a place for the night, i saw a light off the other side of the ridge. i headed that way and came out on cherohala(or whatever it was called back then)skyway. 17 miles by road from where i was parked.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3108659 - 01/04/13 06:21 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: stik]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I've never been lost in the woods...I have been turned around because I accused the compass of LYING to me..lol.....Got out well before dark, so I wouldn't consider that lost..Since then, I always take a compass and pretty much know where I am(area). In some cases I take an aerial map of the area. Now with a GPS, you would think getting lost would be a thing of the past.

My phone has the feature where it will show you an aerial photo and where you are at any given time, even which direction you are headed....

technology is great......when it works..lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3108661 - 01/04/13 06:24 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: stik]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

I got turned around once in Hickman County while hunting on paper company land. Had never been there before and I was badly unprepared. Did have a bottle of water and a couple of granola bars to eat. Could have been very serious as I am a diabetic. Did not even have something to start a fire. I found an old half rotten log and was able to crawl up in it and cover myself with leaves. luckily for me, the night was not very cold.

I never go hunting now without food in my pack and something to start a fire. Also carry a cheap rainsuit I could at least put on to block wind and hold in body heat. And, I carry a Garmin, compass, and cell phone with me.

My cousin was with me but figured I would come out of the woods sometime during the night. He just went on to bed in my camper.

Edited by GRAMPS (01/04/13 06:27 AM)

#3108729 - 01/04/13 07:42 AM Re: Need Input For a Discussion I am Having [Re: GRAMPS]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Wasn't me, but my roommate in college and another friend spent the night in a gorge at fall creek falls. Hiked to the bottom of the falls and started walking it out. Didn't realize it gets dark a little earlier down there. Started walking back and turned up the wrong split. Temps got down in the low 30's and all they had on were jeans and long sleeve shirts (temp was in the 50's when they started). They had a lighter but everything in the bottom was wet. They burned everything in their wallets that would burn. The next morning they got back to the parking lot just as a search party was being assembled to come look for them.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (WG Taxidermist, catman529, lung-buster, Kritter Gitter, stryker, huntintn, 10 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96114 Topics
1125370 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.121 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.