Topic Options
#3107351 - 01/03/13 09:33 AM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: Master Chief]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
I've actually gotten more IR scares than whiteflash scares

Gil,

I think you would have documented similar results had your white flash cam been an "infrared" red-flash cam. I do believe the red-flash "infrared" can spook more than traditional white flash, while neither will spook some deer, and both will spook other deer.

One thing I noted in your videos is that all animals seemed to be at least "concerned" with what they were seeing and smelling at the location BEFORE the white flash. Had they neither seen nor smelling nothing, they may not have reacted to the white flash, as I believe they may relate it to lightning flashes which they experience often.

But with true black flash cams, I've experienced no game spooking by the flash (or lack of one).

#3107357 - 01/03/13 09:36 AM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: Bayou Buck]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
This year most images were blurred because they are bolting when the IR lights come on.

And THAT has been another big disappointment with both the red-flash and black-flash cams, although you will not see the deer bolting from the invisible black flash (just if they're moving at all, you get a blurry pic).

IMO, most new users to trail cams would be much happier with their experience if they started off with a traditional white-flash homebrew, just a basic model. And totally forget using the red-flash so-called "infrared". When flash spook is a concern, such as having a cam close to a scrape, go with true black flash.

This flash "spooking" is actually more of a subsequent avoidance of walking within a few yards of that particular spot. The deer typically do not leave the area by more than a few yards out of their way. But next time they come thru, they'll commonly "go around" that spot by 20 to 40 yards, often walking behind the cam. So if you're using anything other than true black flash, you need to periodically re-locate your cams because some deer will start "avoiding" walking in front them close enough to trigger a flash.

If you're looking for a good basic "homebrew" cam, many people have been happy with the value they've gotten from FiremanJim's homebrews:
 Originally Posted By: FIREMANJIM
My cheapest unit is $235.00
Go to my website... http://WWW.JTSWildlifeCameras.Com

#3107782 - 01/03/13 02:50 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bigbuxhunter
 Originally Posted By: gil1
I really can't stand the horrible quality or red flash and black flash game cam photos. And I get a ton of quality photos with my white flash cams. I have also seen some animals that tolerate a white flash well. But here's proof that it scares the poop out of most critters.

I know you're loving this, BSK. \:\)

Fox scare - http://s210.beta.photobucket.com/user/gillackey/media/FoxFlashScare_zps9aa9feff.mp4.html

Coyote Scare - http://s210.beta.photobucket.com/user/gillackey/media/CoyoteFlashScare_zps0fa3bcee.mp4.html

Coyote scare - http://s210.beta.photobucket.com/user/gillackey/media/CoyoteFlashScare2_zps1716d4aa.mp4.html
nothing but red x's for me

Anybody else having this trouble? It came up fine for me.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3107936 - 01/03/13 04:42 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: gil1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Want to see some IR scare? Watch the first few frames of this video:

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3107975 - 01/03/13 05:18 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Want to see some IR scare? Watch the first few frames of this video:

Yep, but she still stopped a few yards away to look back, noting a new "spot" to avoid. Bet she walked around it only by about that many yards next time she came thru!

#3107980 - 01/03/13 05:20 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: Wes Parrish]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

One thing I noted in your videos is that all animals seemed to be at least "concerned" with what they were seeing and smelling at the location BEFORE the white flash. Had they neither seen nor smelling nothing, they may not have reacted to the white flash, as I believe they may relate it to lightning flashes which they experience often.

Good point. This camera is in my back yard in urban Nashville, and these animals know the bait station well. They know my scent back there well, too. But two things are interesting.

One, they don't seem at all affected by the black flash cam when it's there solo. They see and smell that just the same as the white flash cams. They are very used to my smell. I don't even try to go scent-free because they get so used to it back there and don't care after a while. They don't even pay the black flash any attention.

Two - The possums and coons have zero reaction to the white flash, making it more obvious when some other animals react poorly to it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3107986 - 01/03/13 05:22 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: gil1]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Gil,

Are your black flash units smaller in size than your white flash ones?

Sometimes the deer are responding to what they see, and most of the older white flash units (and homebrews) are larger in size than the newer black flash models.

I've particularly noticed the deer just stopping and starring at my old Leaf River units (which are HUGE!), even more so when placed on a small tree. And at that point of heightened awareness, ANY out-of-the-ordinary sound or sight can spook them. Is it possible your white flash units are a tad more audible than the newer black flash units?

#3108002 - 01/03/13 05:34 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: Bayou Buck]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Weird, the deer on my lease, bucks included, never blinked an eye at my IR cam.
#3108019 - 01/03/13 05:45 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: Wes Parrish]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Gil,

Are your black flash units smaller in size than your white flash ones?

Sometimes the deer are responding to what they see, and most of the older white flash units (and homebrews) are larger in size than the newer black flash models.

I've particularly noticed the deer just stopping and starring at my old Leaf River units (which are HUGE!), even more so when placed on a small tree. And at that point of heightened awareness, ANY out-of-the-ordinary sound or sight can spook them. Is it possible your white flash units are a tad more audible than the newer black flash units?

I guess anything's possible, Wes. And yes, my black flash cam is a bit smaller. it's just that these particular animals know exactly where the units are. They sniff them, pee on them, even eat strips of meat off the top of them sometimes. I haven't changed the tree (it's the only suitable one), and my stink is back there all the time.

Now the noise could be something, although I can't hear the units take a photo.

I think they are wary is heyall but will hang out and eat anyway. Unless they see the flash. But then again, I've had a few select yotes who don't give a dern about it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3108024 - 01/03/13 05:47 PM Re: Proof of White Flash Scare [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

But don't get me wrong. As much as flash avoidance bothers me, I will never use black or red flash units for anything but experiments. I want and need cameras that do what cameras are supposed to do, take freaking pictures. White flash cams are the only ones that do that to my satisfaction, and I can live with some animals being afraid to jump back in front of the camera. One photo is really all I need, and I usually get several.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
26 registered (scn, catman529, trevor2010, Dale3, DocFox, Vermin93, 5 invisible) and 76 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1089385 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.