Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3105872 - 01/02/13 12:24 PM Local Forester Coming out and What to do?
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Having my local forester come out on the 10th to go over my 36 acres and see what I can do as far as land management for deer.. I obviously have my own agenda or things I'd like to do.. Anybody have any advice or things I can go over with him. Obviously I'm wanting to create cover since I have none and plant some more trees and bushes. What are y'all's suggestions?
#3105997 - 01/02/13 01:32 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: lpo1981]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

I too had the same feeling 20 years ago, with a forester visiting our new property and I didn't even know what to ask him! I learned a huge amount in one hour's time and I have been busy implementing the advice ever since and am really glad I have. One question to ask is if he thinks your forest has any future as a working forest for future income and if so what you can do to manage for that. Tell him which wildlife you want to manage for such as deer or turkey or quail. You can't manage for everything so learn what the best opportunities are and manage for those. If you don't know what tree species you have ask him to identify several trees for you to keep, for example white oak, tulip poplar and black cherry and several to get rid of that you have, perhaps beech, sourwood, and sweetgum. If you decide you are interested in active management of your property ask him about the Tree Farm program and how to enroll. Also ask about the County Forestry [censored]'n. If your Area Forester is Stephen Peairs you are lucky, he was Forester of the year a couple years ago. A couple weeks ago I needed some wildlife habitat advice and the NRCS gave me his name. He knows a lot about turkeys and is a deer hunter.
#3106030 - 01/02/13 02:00 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: treefarmer]
lpo1981
6 Point

That's exactly who my local forester is... I'm strictly wanting to manage for deer.. My parents bought this land back in 1997 and it was covered in deer but as the years have gone by the number of deer we see has drastically gone down.. I believe a lot of this is do to not having any cover as what we had has now grown up and not much cover anymore.. So that being said, creating cover is my #1 goal, food being #2 wether it be food plots or planting mast producing trees and browse..
#3106036 - 01/02/13 02:04 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: lpo1981]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

who is your local forester?
#3106047 - 01/02/13 02:14 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
I obviously have my own agenda or things I'd like to do.. Anybody have any advice or things I can go over with him. Obviously I'm wanting to create cover since I have none and plant some more trees and bushes. What are y'all's suggestions?

First and foremost, make a concious decision about what is most important to you when it comes to the land. Aesthetics? Widlife production? Income? Over-all recreational use? Having a prioritized list of "what is most important to you" can greatly aid in developing the best long-term management plan.

Some things that can be done with land and forests are mutually beneficial to several goals. But eventually, one or two goals will have to take precident over the others, as not all practices are beneficial to all goals, and some are directly contradictory.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3106372 - 01/02/13 06:00 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Originally Posted By: nate17
who is your local forester?

Stephen Pearis

Originally Posted By: BSK
First and foremost, make a concious decision about what is most important to you when it comes to the land. Aesthetics? Widlife production? Income? Over-all recreational use? Having a prioritized list of "what is most important to you" can greatly aid in developing the best long-term management plan.

Some things that can be done with land and forests are mutually beneficial to several goals. But eventually, one or two goals will have to take precident over the others, as not all practices are beneficial to all goals, and some are directly contradictory.

That's a good point, will leave me some food for thought, first and foremost is whitetail management for me and if there is some income to be had that would be and addition as well..

#3107201 - 01/03/13 07:41 AM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Non-Typical

lpo1981,

One of the big problems I've run into with established foresters is their total focus on timber as a long-term income source. All of their thoughts and practices are focused on creating the most short and long-term income from timber. Even though many will say they understand land-management for wildlife, they really don't. They see management of habitat for wildlife as a side-benefit to timber management, but the ultimate goal of good forestry practices is still long-term financial benefit.

Although we all want to be good stewards of the natural resources, and good forestry practices are part of that, if wildlife benefit is your primary goal in managing a property, some more "radical" forestry practices need to be considered--and some of these practices will make an old-school forester cringe! Honestly, that's been my biggest problem with using consulting foresters. They simply can't fathom the idea of doing things to the habitat specifically for wildlife, with long-term economics being a far-distant secondary consideration.

Another consideration is life-span of use. And by that I mean who will benefit from these practices and for how long? In essence, are the management practices you plan on implementing to benefit just you (or the current generation of hunters), or do you have children that show interest in continuing your management plan? If I'm designing a plan for the current generation of hunters, I'll look towards a system that produces results fast, and produces maximum benefit over the next 20-30 years. But if I'm looking at a multi-generational family system, with new hunters being recruited from each generation, then I'm looking a designing a perpetual system that will last forever. Perpetual systems are nowhere near as intense, and are design to maintain specific levels of critical habitat over the long term, unlike current generation hunter systems that are design to produce a two to three decade "burst" of highly favorable conditions.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3107658 - 01/03/13 01:16 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

BSK, as I rite now I will be benefiting in whichever route I take. I am 31 and the only one who hunt this small property I have to small girls 3y/o and 1y/o that hopefully will show some interest. I get them involved with what can at this point. So I would say it would be for future generations but I'll have to wait and see.. Is there anything I can implement now that could produce for myself and possibly for my children in the future if they chose to hunt? This property is small 36 acres an I will be leasing 183 acres across the road starting this year but it is all mature timber with the exception of a few very small thickets and the landowner will probably not allow any type of work to manage the property.. I'm interested to see what the forester has to say but I'm wanting to improve my land for whitetail management and not for profit... Hopefully it won't be a waste of my time.. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching things I can do to improve the habitat..
#3107710 - 01/03/13 02:07 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
...I'm interested to see what the forester has to say but I'm wanting to improve my land for whitetail management and not for profit...

The best thing you can do is explain this to the forester in no uncertain terms: Whitetail habitat is big-time #1. Profit is a secondary consideration. I too look forward to hearing what your forester has to say. "Timber people" usually have a unique way of looking at things.

#3107825 - 01/03/13 03:26 PM Re: Local Forester Coming out and What to do? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

I will be sure to update this after I speak with him next week and let you know.. If it doesn't go the way I want it to I guess I'll need to come up with a game plan of my own and what to do.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (H Moody, tn droptine, jakerri, DNDHUNTAHOLIC88, sgtwebb1, jmoreland, 8 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85175 Topics
1029399 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.