Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3107385 - 01/03/13 09:59 AM Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...ng/?partner=RSS

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3107422 - 01/03/13 10:31 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Poser]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

That poor boy needs to brush up on his deer hunting jargon. Since when is "still hunting" treestand hunting?

In this day of property being purchased/leased specifically for deer hunting, using dogs for hunting deer is a thing of the past. As fun as it might be for the hunters, it must push a number of property owners/lessees over the edge to have a pack of dogs drive every deer off their land in one morning. I know I would do something very illegal if it happened on my land.

#3107464 - 01/03/13 11:06 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Hangnail]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
That poor boy needs to brush up on his deer hunting jargon. Since when is "still hunting" treestand hunting?

In this day of property being purchased/leased specifically for deer hunting, using dogs for hunting deer is a thing of the past. As fun as it might be for the hunters, it must push a number of property owners/lessees over the edge to have a pack of dogs drive every deer off their land in one morning. I know I would do something very illegal if it happened on my land.
Depends on where you are at. I was a member of a dog hunting club in florida that was 105,000 acres.

#3107474 - 01/03/13 11:10 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: darn2ten]
KCW
Spike

Loc: Fayette Co.

That is not hunting imo.
#3107484 - 01/03/13 11:20 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: KCW]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Running deer dogs has definitely been under pressure for many, many years. At last check I think there were only 9 states that allowed it and the number of counties or days of the season open to running dogs (or both) was shrinking little bit by little bit.
#3107515 - 01/03/13 11:44 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Boll Weevil]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I have no problem with it where legal. I also recognize that it is a practice that runs culturally deep in certain states. As I hunt in MS, I can tell you that dog pressure has a tremendous impact upon the deer. Its not that big of a deal for me personally, I just don't hunt deer there anymore after dog season opens on Dec 17th.

While I would never hunt over bait, I would consider participating in a deer dogging event, if I were invited to do so by the right people, just for the experience of it.

#3107537 - 01/03/13 11:55 AM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Poser]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

The word "depends" covers an awful lot of territory. Find a 100,000 acre hunting club in Tennessee, just one. I understand the use of dogs in really large, thick areas scattered throughout the south. We don't have much of that here in Tennessee and I know that dogging isn't limited to these really thick areas in other states. My contention is that there is no difference in poaching and running deer dogs on someone's property that the dog hunters have no permission to be on. I have experienced the invasion of dog hunters in Mississippi firsthand. It was not a pleasant experience for me or the dog hunters.
#3107553 - 01/03/13 12:01 PM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Hangnail]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

The word "depends" covers an awful lot of territory. Find a 100,000 acre hunting club in Tennessee, just one. I understand the use of dogs in really large, thick areas scattered throughout the south. We don't have much of that here in Tennessee and I know that dogging isn't limited to these really thick areas in other states. My contention is that there is no difference in poaching and running deer dogs on someone's property that the dog hunters have no permission to be on. I have experienced the invasion of dog hunters in Mississippi firsthand. It was not a pleasant experience for me or the dog hunters.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Deer dogging definitely requires a large property. In MS, the Nt'l forrest are popular for this practice.

#3107589 - 01/03/13 12:23 PM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Using dogs was more common (and arguably, more necessary) when the populations were more scarce. It was a tactic that allowed for covering large amounts of ground.

As the populations have gotten larger and property sizes have gotten smaller, it's obvious why it is less popular nowadays for the hunters and the property owners. In many areas of the country, it's simply unnecessary and probably even counter-productive (if there are enough deer around, how does it make sense to chase 40 of them out of their comfort zone in an effort to shoot 2 or 3?).

I still think it's cool to preserve old ways of doing things as long as we can, assuming there are acceptable places for those activities. That's a tough assumption, though...

#3107657 - 01/03/13 01:16 PM Re: Deer Dogging Topic in Commercial Appeal [Re: Hangnail]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

I never said anything about Tennessee. This was if Florida on big timber company tracts. Used tracking collars and never had a problem with trespassing. We also never turned out more hounds than we coulld handle, but there are those that do. We never hunted like the guy in the article. We always started a single trail dog on a track and when it got close to jumping we would turn a few more to it. Theres always going to be slob hunters that give respectful hunters a bad name. These smaller couple thousand acre clubs are just asking for conflict, definitely takes a very large chunk of land to avoid run ins.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (slagtown_dfa, SX3Mike, REN, Doc Stone, FrontierGander) and 92 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.