Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3109333 - 01/04/13 03:12 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: Vermin93]
tennesseejb
Button

Loc: Tennessee

It runs me about $100/ea for a processor nearby to do it. Had the first one processed this year, but learned how to do the next two myself while my father in law was in town. Have two hanging right now (one is a buddies) that I plan to at least quarter out tonight, in anticipation of getting out this weekend.

This is my first year hunting, so it's been extremely rewarding to learn the whole process from bullet to freezer (or in some cases, dinner plate).

In terms of supplies, I picked up a hand grinder to get started on some summer sausage, but can already tell that will be the first thing I'll upgrade. It was just hard to cough up the $ on an electric grinder. Anyone had a lot of success with the attachments for a kitchen-aid mixer?

#3109370 - 01/04/13 03:50 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: Poser]
pastorbmp
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
We had a good bit of discussion this year about the merits of DIY processing, so who is going to pledge to starte handling their own deer in the 2013 season?

Started the end of this deer season - don't know why I waited 25yrs to start! I am looking forward to processing all the deer Lord blesses me with myself next year.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#3109386 - 01/04/13 04:03 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: tennesseejb]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: tennesseejb
It runs me about $100/ea for a processor nearby to do it. Had the first one processed this year, but learned how to do the next two myself while my father in law was in town. Have two hanging right now (one is a buddies) that I plan to at least quarter out tonight, in anticipation of getting out this weekend.

This is my first year hunting, so it's been extremely rewarding to learn the whole process from bullet to freezer (or in some cases, dinner plate).

In terms of supplies, I picked up a hand grinder to get started on some summer sausage, but can already tell that will be the first thing I'll upgrade. It was just hard to cough up the $ on an electric grinder. Anyone had a lot of success with the attachments for a kitchen-aid mixer?

The Kitchen Aids work ok. You'll need to cube up the meat pretty good, but it will get the job done for a couple of deer a season.

The hand grinders tend to gunk up a good bit.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3109457 - 01/04/13 04:58 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: woodsman87]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Cutting the silverskin off is terrible, and I cant figure out a good way to do it other than just cutting it off while wasting as little meat as possible. I also cut most of the fat off.

Do any of yall leave the fat on? I have never ground up my own deer until just the other day and I cut most all fat off but mixed just a little bit of beef burger with it so it will have some fat. It is about 90/10 deer to beef. If yall say the deer fat doesn't ruin it I may not cut if off anymore.

Think of it as filleting a fish. It is the same principle. Get a sliver of silver skin started, then holding that firmly down on the cutting board, just fillet it off. It takes some practice but you will lose little meat. It is especially easy on the backstraps.

If you want, you can then use the silver skin to wrap your knapped bh's into the slit shaft of your arrows. Dats what da Engines did.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3109461 - 01/04/13 05:05 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: Vermin93]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Deer fat is bitter and definitely contributes to a bad taste. I cut off every last piece, one reason why I have taken exactly one deer to a procesor since 1995. Processors just aren't as picky as I am, or we are.
#3109471 - 01/04/13 05:15 PM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I no longer grind mine,(my grinder blew up) but I do trim all the meat I am going to have ground and then watch the butcher grind it to make sure I get mine back. The trimming is the key to good tasting meat when talking about ground. I have a little beef fat mixed in and the guy figures a mention here and there in my column deserves a price break. So, what little I have done is not too costly.

If the kids were still at home and I went through six a year just here at the house, I would go back to grinding my own. I do still make my own jerky. But of the 10 I killed this year so far, I only saved two (young, fat does) for my own use. The rest I gave away.

Think about it. If you kill and use 2-3 deer a year, at $100 per, how many do you have to do yourself to pay for all the equipment you need? It really takes very little.

You don't even need a gambrel or a place to hang one. I did and do a lot of mine laying down on the tailgate of my truck. If you don't grind, all you really need is a good boning knife, one you can steel easily, a quality steel, a skinning knife and packaging. A vaccum packer is sure worth the money but not required. If you pre-wrap in film, such as Saran wrap, then wrap in butcher paper or put in ziploc freezer bags, you will do just fine.

You do not need to butcher immediately. Even when hot, just skin, remove backstrap and tenderloins, quarter and put in cooler with bottles of frozen water, also called ice. The bottles keep the meat dry and cold. That should take no more than 15-minutes max.

When you have time, a day or so later, do the front shoulders for roasts, bone out the hind quarters following the seams and cut to desired cuts. Trim out the backstraps and tenderloins and wrap it up. Takes about an hour.

If you need to keep an entire carcass over night in hot weather, 2-3-4 liter bottles of frozen water, inside the cavity will keep it overnight just fine. Just wash it out well with cold water first.

It isn't rocket surgery and I never could understand why everybody did not do their own. I have never heard an excuse yet that held water except...I have to leave town in 20-minutes. \:\) For all those who plead they don't have time, if they turn off the TV, turn off the computer and turn off the wife, I'll bet they do.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3110125 - 01/05/13 07:50 AM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: bowriter]
JJ3
Spike

Loc: West Tennessee, USA

I've probably put a dozen through my wife's Kitchen Aid -- it works well. But I've gotten lazy the last few years. The processor I use does a nice job and eliminates about 3 hrs of work for me. But I usually like to do one myself each year.
#3110150 - 01/05/13 08:32 AM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: JJ3]
greygoose
4 Point

Loc: shelby county

depends on time and weather for me,it is rewarding though to complete the hunt and then the butchering

#3110162 - 01/05/13 08:42 AM Re: 2013 DIY Deer Processing Drive [Re: greygoose]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I use my Wife's KitchenAid with the grinder attachment and yes, you have to cut the meat pretty small but I think it does a good job. Problem is the motor gets pretty hot and that mixer is expensive. Also, I am finding the grinder is a bear to get clean. You have to sterilize it before and after you have picked it clean. Really a pain. I will be looking for purpose built grinders this off season.
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
93 registered (caretaker, monster11, deerhunter10, pressfit, Planking, DirtyBear0311, 10 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85143 Topics
1028917 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.207 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.