Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3105851 - 01/02/13 12:12 PM Catfish?
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

One of my New Years resolutions was to catch a catfish.

That may not sound like much to alot of you, but I've never caught one being from Wisconsin, fishing for them is not very common.

I used to fish quite a bit, mostly for bluegills and bass. From time to time we'd go out at night for some walleyes but not often. I'd also hit a few trout streams when I was up north in the summer. I got away from fishing due to my parents selling thier boat and me not having the money to buy my own. I do have a few ultra light poles, a few medium wieght poles I used for bass and a tackle box full of assorted stuff.

I live in Hendersonville, anyone have any advice as far as where to go and what to use?

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3105873 - 01/02/13 12:25 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: Redfred16]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

just go off the bank somewhare and go get you some chicken liver or night crawlers. you dont need a giant rod to catfish. I just use my bass rigs. if you want to bump the bottom just tie a sinker on the end and a hook about 2' up from that to keep the bait off the bottom some. i do it this way all the time, used to go to Wilson lake a few times a year and come back with a cooler full every time

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3105875 - 01/02/13 12:26 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: arctic_cat]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

just find you a boat ramp and go down the bank from there. most boat ramps have a no-fishing sign so you wont be able to fish from the docks but take a short walk down the bank from it and you will be fine

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3106181 - 01/02/13 03:45 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: Redfred16]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

What they said is fine advice... and I would add that raw chicken breast is a GREAT catfish bait... OR come and fish with me beginning in mid-April.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#3106908 - 01/02/13 10:03 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: rsimms]
quickfire
Spike

Loc: East Tennessee

You don't need a huge rod like arctic cat said, but I'd recommend at least 12 to 14 lb test line. You can fish on bottom with a slip sinker or Carolina Rig, or again, the simple bottom bumping rig with the sinker on the end of the line. Cut shad, cut bluegill, uncooked shrimp, chicken liver, small live bluegill are all great baits. This time of year I like fishing below steam plants where there's some warm discharge water. When the weather and water is warmer I like fishing below dams. Since you're in Hendersonville, you're right there at Old Hickory Lake and Old Hickory Dam. I'm not sure if there's any bank access at Gallatin Steam Plant, but they should be discharging warm water this time of year. Good luck.
#3107525 - 01/03/13 11:48 AM Re: Catfish? [Re: quickfire]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: quickfire
You don't need a huge rod like arctic cat said, but I'd recommend at least 12 to 14 lb test line. You can fish on bottom with a slip sinker or Carolina Rig, or again, the simple bottom bumping rig with the sinker on the end of the line. Cut shad, cut bluegill, uncooked shrimp, chicken liver, small live bluegill are all great baits. This time of year I like fishing below steam plants where there's some warm discharge water. When the weather and water is warmer I like fishing below dams. Since you're in Hendersonville, you're right there at Old Hickory Lake and Old Hickory Dam. I'm not sure if there's any bank access at Gallatin Steam Plant, but they should be discharging warm water this time of year. Good luck.

Thanks, this is a bit more of what I was looking for. While I wouldn't mind someone to sit and talk to while fishing.

I had wondered if fishing from the banks here was legal. It looks like a lot of the river is very shallow and becomes exposed mud when we go a bit without rain. I'll have to check out those spots and put a line in the water.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3108209 - 01/03/13 07:48 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: Redfred16]
quickfire
Spike

Loc: East Tennessee

I just heard there is no bank fishing access below Gallatin Steam Plant. And I also heard that there is bank fishing access below Old Hickory Dam. Apparently the sidewalks were damaged during the big flood in Nashville a couple years ago but you can still fish from the rip rap. I've never fished either place, but been to both before but that was many years ago.
#3108546 - 01/03/13 10:55 PM Re: Catfish? [Re: quickfire]
Treestand Troubadour
4 Point

Loc: Carter County

i usually use a 5 or 6/0 circle hook rigged up drop shot with a bluegill with the tail cut off. Caught more flatheads this summer than i have my entire life.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (Rakkin6, JAY B, Ken45, Jmed, longtine, MUP, 2 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89370 Topics
1045234 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.