Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3105314 - 01/01/13 10:38 PM Euro Mount Question
JJ3
Spike

Loc: West Tennessee, USA

I'm working on my first euro mount. Should I remove the ear canals and bone structures?

I didn't see this addressed in Hook's instructions or others that are posted. I've tried to work as much of the soft tissue from around the ear structures as I can, but they didn't seem to want to pop out very easy.

Thanks,

#3105318 - 01/01/13 10:45 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: JJ3]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

maybe needs boiling longer? I don't know because the only euro I have done was boiled too long, everything came off easily including the nose bones which disintegrated. Don't boil it too long is all I can say. The ear canals should come out, and a couple small bones back in that area somewhere, can't remember where all the loose parts are but just make sure any extra parts come off the skull but not the nose bones. And you may want to hose out the sinuses too.

#3109188 - 01/04/13 01:16 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: catman529]
HrnHntr9
Button

Loc: Maryville TN

Find someone that has the beetles that that will clean off all of the soft tissue. Not as messy as all the boiling.
#3109243 - 01/04/13 02:00 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: HrnHntr9]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

This year I started offering reproduction skulls at about the same price as most charge for the typical European Mount with the animals original skull. The reproduction skull has a faster turn around time, will never stink (antelope have a huge odor), will not fade, a lot stronger than the original skull, and usually look better. You have two options; one that you saw the antlers off and fasten them to the reproduction's pedicles (great for sheds too), or the other where you saw the skull plate off and expoxy it to the reproduction's slot (this one is really only needed if its a "trophy" and will be used in record books or contest).

Here is an antelope that I did.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3109311 - 01/04/13 02:50 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: JJ3]
Tracker
6 Point

Loc: South Fulton,TN. USA

If you are around Obion County you should give "Pritchard's Euro Mounts" a call. He is very experienced with doing these and he would give you some advice. He truly does the best Euro mounts of any that I have seen and he has got hooked up with some company and gets some very beautiful plaques or driftwood if you want your head on them. Personally I would shy away from the fake skulls, I dont think you would be as happy with one of those. PM me and I will give you his number.

Edited by Tracker (01/04/13 02:52 PM)

#3109357 - 01/04/13 03:34 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: Tracker]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

There are some repo skulls on the market that are fake looking a mile away, the ones I use are actual cast of the real skulls. Reproductions are good if the nose breaks or other major damage occurs, of course sheds are great use of them too.

The ear canal needs to be as clean as possible, have you tried simmering it on a portable burner outside or in a garage? I never "boil" any, its more of a heavy simmer.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3109752 - 01/04/13 08:23 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: JJ3]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: JJ3
I'm working on my first euro mount. Should I remove the ear canals and bone structures?

I didn't see this addressed in Hook's instructions or others that are posted. I've tried to work as much of the soft tissue from around the ear structures as I can, but they didn't seem to want to pop out very easy.

Thanks,

Don't worry about the ear canals and bone structure, leave them intact....just get as much meat off as you can. Also, I have found in the ones that I have done it is much easier to get the remaining meat, tissue and membrane off after the "hard simmer" if you use a pressure washer on a reasonable setting. I have heard of people using a car wash nozzle as well.

#3109899 - 01/04/13 09:44 PM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: TNDeerGuy]
JJ3
Spike

Loc: West Tennessee, USA

Thanks, the long simmer (about 4.5 hrs) did its job. All the flesh and meat came off easily. I just wasn't sure about the ear canals and sockets. Working on the bleaching now.
#3110168 - 01/05/13 08:47 AM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: JJ3]
taximan
8 Point

Loc: Indiana

Do not boil!!!! that only weakens the skull/growth plates.......like said before simmer!!!

also if you have access to a slop sink, fill it with water as hot as you can stand and dawn soap and take a air compressor with a blower nozzle on it and submerge simmered skull in it and use the air to blow alow of the meat/membrane out, this also helps with getting the grease out of the skull...

there is a good video on the net somewhere titled "5 hour skull mount, start to finish".....

i too have started doing the repro euro mounts....great option..

Edited by taximan (01/05/13 08:48 AM)

#3110179 - 01/05/13 08:55 AM Re: Euro Mount Question [Re: HrnHntr9]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: HrnHntr9
Find someone that has the beetles that that will clean off all of the soft tissue. Not as messy as all the boiling.

I just let maggots and "Nature's creatures" clean mine. They aren't as pretty, but they work for me! Doesn't cost a penny either...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (kornbread, Wrangler95, Cottontop, TN Larry, Ballerski, Brisco Darlin, 2 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169775 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.054 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.