Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3105040 - 01/01/13 07:51 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Ok, lets focus on this paragraph:

The deer had been shot through the abdomen in Vermont but evaded capture for 2 hours, allowing E. coli to escape the gut and invade the bloodstream, Dingman says. The carcass wasn't refrigerated or butchered for 2 days, during which time the outside temperature rose to 55F, ample warmth for bacteria to survive, says Dingman. "This was a classic case of what not to do with deer," he says.

Under these circumstances, I would perhaps handle the meat differently, but the deer in the pic above was but gutted within 5 minutes of death on a cold day. The backstrap in the pic is one day old. -hardly a recipe for E. Coli, hardly a concern.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3105064 - 01/01/13 08:00 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: redblood
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Negative, Ghostrider.

E. Coli is a strain of bacteria present in the fecal matter of mammals. It is mainly a concern for commercially raised critters, slaughtered en masse, who live knee-deep in turd-filled muck. The more meat is handled, processed, and ground, the higher likelihood of encountering the bad strains of E. Coli. Whole cuts of meat (especially properly handled) are the least susceptible to E. Coli bacteria. And of those circumstances where you might be introduced to it, it will likely be a result of cross-contamination from other E. Coli sources, rather than the interior of the meat you're consuming.

This has been a public service announcement of TAFKAP and the Ad Council.

sorry my friend but while many things in your posts are based in fact, new eviudence proves that free ranging deer of all species can contain e.coli bacteria. I have taugt on this subjects in both animal science and wildlife management classes. i can post about 100 more links if you like. ghostrider out.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/736/description/Venison_can_contain_E_coli_bacteria

Never gotten food poisoning from venison, never known of anyone who's gotten sick from venison. I've shared numerous medium rare meals with many folks and no one has ever gotten sick. This is properly handled, fresh venison. I would have no problem eating it raw.

proper handling is the key key, especially if the fecal matter is spilled into the abdomenable cavity. but to the fact is that any meat can be a source of e.coli. teh key is to reach 165 degrees temperature. most alarming is a new strain (or possible modification of existing strain) of e.coli that can resist temps up to 171 degrees. E.coli only fears one thing. Heat. Internal temps of 175 for 30 seconds, and there is virtually no risk of e.coli poisoning. The loin in the picture, wouildnt break 120 internal temp, i would wager

#3105075 - 01/01/13 08:03 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

content Online

The deer had been shot through the abdomen in Vermont but evaded capture for 2 hours, allowing E. coli to escape the gut and invade the bloodstream, Dingman says. The carcass wasn't refrigerated or butchered for 2 days, during which time the outside temperature rose to 55F, ample warmth for bacteria to survive, says Dingman. "This was a classic case of what not to do with deer," he says.

Under these circumstances, I would perhaps handle the meat differently, but the deer in the pic above was but gutted within 5 minutes of death on a cold day. The backstrap in the pic is one day old. -hardly a recipe for E. Coli, hardly a concern.

no doubt the deer in the article had been mishandled. But so have many deer at the processors. i know you handle your dee rproperly and quickly, but many readers on here may think that since you cook your deer to such a low level of internal heat, they can cook theirs as well, even though they pick their up at the processors.

#3105129 - 01/01/13 08:18 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Negative, Ghostrider.

E. Coli is a strain of bacteria present in the fecal matter of mammals. It is mainly a concern for commercially raised critters, slaughtered en masse, who live knee-deep in turd-filled muck. The more meat is handled, processed, and ground, the higher likelihood of encountering the bad strains of E. Coli. Whole cuts of meat (especially properly handled) are the least susceptible to E. Coli bacteria. And of those circumstances where you might be introduced to it, it will likely be a result of cross-contamination from other E. Coli sources, rather than the interior of the meat you're consuming.

This has been a public service announcement of TAFKAP and the Ad Council.

sorry my friend but while many things in your posts are based in fact, new eviudence proves that free ranging deer of all species can contain e.coli bacteria. I have taugt on this subjects in both animal science and wildlife management classes. i can post about 100 more links if you like. ghostrider out.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/736/description/Venison_can_contain_E_coli_bacteria

Never gotten food poisoning from venison, never known of anyone who's gotten sick from venison. I've shared numerous medium rare meals with many folks and no one has ever gotten sick. This is properly handled, fresh venison. I would have no problem eating it raw.

Yep. And I didn't say that it's not present in deer....quite the contrary. It is present in all mammals, but human sickness as a result of E. Coli can nearly always be faulted with the handling of the meat prior to cooking. Specifically, the process of grinding contaminated meat with other "healthy" meat. I doubt very many of those studies will show evidence of E. Coli deep within the muscle tissue, either.

#3105139 - 01/01/13 08:21 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: redblood]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

no doubt the deer in the article had been mishandled. But so have many deer at the processors. i know you handle your dee rproperly and quickly, but many readers on here may think that since you cook your deer to such a low level of internal heat, they can cook theirs as well, even though they pick their up at the processors.

Even stil, I would be perfectly comfortable cooking a backstrap to medium rare, even if handled by a contaminated processor. The external surface of the meat contains the bacteria, not the interior of the muscle mass. All cooking methods will address surface bacteria of any whole cut of meat.

#3105157 - 01/01/13 08:32 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Fair enough. When cooking medium rare, one should use a very high heat. This will kill any bacteria on the surface of the meat.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3105426 - 01/02/13 03:47 AM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: redblood]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

teh key is to reach 165 degrees temperature. most alarming is a new strain (or possible modification of existing strain) of e.coli that can resist temps up to 171 degrees. E.coli only fears one thing. Heat. Internal temps of 175 for 30 seconds, and there is virtually no risk of e.coli poisoning. The loin in the picture, wouildnt break 120 internal temp, i would wager

If I had to cook venison or beef to 165 or even God forbid 175 degrees I would just eat pork or chicken. No thanks. I will take the minimal chance and continue to eat rare meat and enjoy my food.

#3105475 - 01/02/13 06:24 AM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: BamaProud]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I'd eat shoe leather before I'd over cook a piece of backstrap like that. Besides...I drive the streets of Memphis on a daily basis. Last thing I'm gonna worry about is dying from under cooked venison. LoL.

#3106419 - 01/02/13 06:30 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: BuckWild]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: BuckWild
I'd eat shoe leather before I'd over cook a piece of backstrap like that. Besides...I drive the streets of Memphis on a daily basis. Last thing I'm gonna worry about is dying from under cooked venison. LoL.

LOL right there with ya!

I'm all too familiar with South Memphis 5 days out of the week (if not more).

As the old Memphian saying goes...
"If a street's name is a state, it's prob'ly not safe."

#3106730 - 01/02/13 08:36 PM Re: NYE Backstrap [Re: BuckWild]
redblood
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BuckWild

u got a point there

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (bowtch huntr209, SES, TNtrapper, wskp11, mossyoakmantn, Cooter, 10 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89186 Topics
1042973 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.239 seconds in which 0.018 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.