Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3104113 - 01/01/13 10:32 AM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Layne]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

I'm with tickweed that calling is overrated. While calling is fun and I do it too much, it is absolutely overrated in today's "tv turkey" world. Defiantly get a few calls, a slate and a box to start with, and practice with them, but don't ever think you can't kill a turkey if your not good with a call. Just some soft purrs on a slate call and scratching in the leaves has called in truckloads of turkeys.

Also, as someone else said, try to find an experienced hunter and tag along. Turkey hunting is not the easiest sport to teach yourself. There are a lot of subtle things that make a big difference. Any turkey hunter worth is salt will be willing to teach some one who wants to learn the sport. Don't ask them to "take you turkey hunting" because they may not want you to shoot the turkeys at their place, but if you tell them you just want to tag along and watch because your trying to learn, you'd probably be surprised how willing turkey hunters are to share knowledge.

The best thing I can tell you is that the best way to kill a turkey is to be where a turkey wants to go and shoot him when he gets there. And the only way to learn where they want to go, is to hunt them and learn on the fly.

Finally, if you really want to turkey hunt, get on Amazon right now and buy "The Tenth Legion" by Tom Kelly. It's about $10 in paperback. It will not teach you how to kill a turkey, but it will make you proud to be a turkey hunter. It's an unbelievable book about the sport in general and the culture surrounding it.

Good Luck

Edited by Southern Sportsman (01/01/13 10:34 AM)

#3104138 - 01/01/13 10:46 AM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Lady's man
8 Point

Loc: knoxville, tn

Ok thanks for the advise so far. Alot of you talk about not over calling but i dnt know which call is which ex. Slate call equals wat, box call equals wat.
#3104170 - 01/01/13 11:06 AM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Lady's man]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Lady's man
Ok thanks for the advise so far. Alot of you talk about not over calling but i dnt know which call is which ex. Slate call equals wat, box call equals wat.
Box call best for a beginner learning yelps; Slate call best for a beginner learning purrs, IMO

#3104487 - 01/01/13 02:25 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Southern Sportsman
Finally, if you really want to turkey hunt, get on Amazon right now and buy "The Tenth Legion" by Tom Kelly. It's about $10 in paperback. It will not teach you how to kill a turkey, but it will make you proud to be a turkey hunter. It's an unbelievable book about the sport in general and the culture surrounding it.

Unfortunately, it's no longer available in paperback...

TOM KELLY'S TENTH LEGION, 40th Anniversary Edition

#3104962 - 01/01/13 07:19 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Layne]
turkeyslyr3
Spike

Loc: Lawrence Tennessee

Patience,but don't be afraid to go to the bird if needed and calling techniques I start playing with my mouth calls in usually February and always be willing to learn from someone else's experience and even your own. And when you think u know how to kill a bird hes usually already got you pegged out

#3106071 - 01/02/13 02:35 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: turkeyslyr3]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

as far as calling i wrote up some stuff last year you can check it out on the link below

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthre...rue#Post2711722

people can put opinions and suggestions in here all day long but at the end of it all it will come down to you spending time in the woods gaining experience. My best advice is find someone who has been doing it successfully for a few years and tag along if they will let you or try and pick their brains as much as possible.

the 2 main things most turkey hunters will tell you is #1 Patience is KEY and #2 dont over call. You will need to figure out why kind of turkey hunter you want to be and what style floats your boat. Do you want to deer hunt them or stay on the move chasing them or a combination of the 2. No one way is best and neither is wrong just different strokes for different folks.

Every bird is different as is every situation and day so what works for me today probably wont tomorrow which is what makes it fun to me. Also what works for me on the property i hunt may not on the birds you are after, just the nature of the beast i guess.

Having said all that get out in the woods as much as possible learning about how turkeys live and survive. Learn the animal first and formost meaning what they eat and why the roost in certain areas and what they like to do on rainy days vs hot days. You learn about the turkey first the hunting part becomes much easier. Dont be afraid to try stuff, you can only learn by 2 ways...failure or success. Good luck and feel free to ask me anything at anytime, i may not be able to answer it but ill try my best.

Edited by REN (01/02/13 02:36 PM)

John 3:16

#3106396 - 01/02/13 06:16 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: REN]
Lady's man
8 Point

Loc: knoxville, tn

When walking through the woods (scouting) for a place to set up wat would i look for on the ground . I no wat rubs/scrapes are for deer but wat sign do i look for turkey?
#3106433 - 01/02/13 06:41 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Layne]
sellsman11
6 Point

Loc: Adamsville

Preseason scouting and patience are the 2 most important things to learn in my opinion.

Stick that diaphram call in the glove box and leave it. Practice on a slate. Cadence is more important than sound. Learn to purr with your mouth and scratch a few leaves.

Did I mention patience and scouting?

#3106436 - 01/02/13 06:43 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Lady's man]
sellsman11
6 Point

Loc: Adamsville

Originally Posted By: Lady's man
When walking through the woods (scouting) for a place to set up wat would i look for on the ground . I no wat rubs/scrapes are for deer but wat sign do i look for turkey?

A comfortable tree. \:D

Actually, this is where preseason scouting comes into play.

#3106879 - 01/02/13 09:47 PM Re: 1st time turkey hunter [Re: Layne]
bvoss
6 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Turkey hunting beats deer hunting hands down in my book. I have been deer hunting for twenty years but it lost its spot as my favorite past time when I heard my first gobble. Like nearly everyone else has said, my advice would be to find a fellow you know who has lots of experience and follow him around as much as he will let you. I like a slate call and a diaphragm, but it really won't matter what you go with. If you get the fever you will get better at it because it will occupy most of your free time from jan. to may either calling, watching videos, scouting, etc.
Colossians 1:27

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
27 registered (stik, dralarms, vonb, Grill-n-man, dmhc, bassinbrian, 3 invisible) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91720 Topics
1071959 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.