Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3103548 - 12/31/12 08:40 PM Re: Great coyote photos [Re: LanceS4803]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

happy Online
When ya do them could someone PM me on how they go though the process and do you pay for the suppressor first while you wait for the stamp.

#3104260 - 01/01/13 11:49 AM Re: Great coyote photos [Re: hunter drew]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I'll post for all:
Find an SOT (Special Occupational Tax) dealer you want to work with. You have to take possession from within your own state. If you find a suppressor from a dealer in another state you can buy from them, but they will have to ship to your dealer. (I was going to buy mine from a dealer in AL who offered a great price. When I told my local guy about it, he matched the price. Although I still had to pay sales tax on the TN sale, it came out even with what he would have charged for the transfer and my shipping costs.) If you do buy from an out of state dealer, the suppressor will transfer to your dealer on a tax-free Form 3. The transfer from the selling dealer to your dealer still has to be approved by ATF, but that process is just about 3 weeks.

Pick out the suppressor you want. Check snipershide for a great rifle suppresor forum. There are also dedicated suppressor forums on various other websites.

Buy the suppressor. You need the serial number for the paperwork. Your dealer hangs onto to it until approved. Some dealers let you shoot your suppresor in the meantime at their range or during various events. They still retain physical possession.

If this is your first NFA (National Firearms Act) item, have the dealer do all the paperwork for you. I've been doing my own, but you have to be SPOT ON with everything or it gets kicked back.
Your paperwork is the Form 4, Transfer. It has the dealers info, your info and the item info. On the back is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer info and signature. Or, go with a Trust as previously recommended.

Get 2 passport photos and 2 ATF stamped fingerprint cards. Your dealer will have the cards.

The duplicates of Form 4, photos, fingerprints cards, as well as self-cretified proof of citizenship (stupid form), get mailed to ATF with your $200 check.

ATF conducts legal reviews to make sure your item is allowed in your city/state. They also do a crim history check. This is currently taking about 6 months. If used, a Trust also goes through a legal review but not a crim history check.

If approved, ATF affixes a tax stamp to your Form 4 and sends it back to your dealer, who calls you to pick up the suppressor.

I make a 50% reduced copy, front and back, of the form 4 and laminate it. Keep the original Form 4 secure and take the copy with you when you go to the range, hunting, etc. Unlike a machine gun (MG), short barreled rifle (SBR), short barreled shotgun (SBS) or destructive device (DD), you do not need prior ATF approval to take the suppressor across state lines. Just make sure the suppressor is legal in the location you are going.

On the off chance you find a TN state resident with a registered suppressor you want to buy, the process is almost the same. Both of you do the paperwork and send it in. The approved Form 4 will come back to him and he will let you know. Used suppressors are rare. After investing the additional $200, most people just keep them.

The paperwork sounds daunting, but it really isn't (after the first one). The hard part is the waiting to pick up womething you've already paid for!

One last thing. Owning a NFA item does not incur any additional scrutiny from ATF. No spot checks, home searches, show-and-tell. Nothing like that. They consider it just another weapon.

If I have left out anything in the process, someone please add.

And a little trivia for you:
Since 1934, when the NFA was instituted, how many crimes have been committed with a legally owned machine gun?
One. A police officer in Ohio, in the mid 1970s, used his registered Mac 10 (or 11), to kill a competing drug dealer.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, RUGER, Taylor, TeamTndeer, Tennessee Todd, CBU93, gtk, stretch, Cuttin Caller, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
152 registered (rem270, jlmustain, H1234, RiverRat213, fourwheeler431, JandSCattleCo, 14 invisible) and 195 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95874 Topics
1122638 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.141 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.